Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrrnr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

ElginWorthy wrote:
I don't get it.

They made several bad trades, for aging players, and with rent-a-player contracts, botched the Howard trade, lost him for nothing, and basically mortgaged their future. But thanks to the fine print in the Nash trade, they have a chance not to get hammered in the deal . . . and it looks like they're about to blow it.

Stop winning games!!

A Lakers team with a young core of Russell, Randle, Simmons (perhaps), Clarkson and Nance is potentially good, and just a decent center away from being a serious competitor. But win a few more games and they're still not going to be playoff bound, and they'll lose their chance for a Top Three player.

A side note: I hope they find a way to get some more draft picks. Have followed Maryland extra-closely this year and I think they have several players to watch. If Diamond Stone comes out, he could really be a great center for them in a couple of years. Not ready yet. But he's improving by the game and is a natural offensive talent. Robert Carter is ready to contribute solid minutes and should develop into a starter at forward. Melo Trimble, IMO, has more potential than Russell. I'd actually rather have him on the team, but finding a way to have both would be pretty kewl. And Jake Layman is the kind of player every good team needs. Try-hard, high basketball IQ, surprising athleticism. Could be a solid 6th man for the Lake show.

Stop winning games!!.
That's pretty hard to do when the competitive nature takes over
ElginWorthy,you come from the land of losers..
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Shut up. We'll win some games and still get the 1st pick.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
No free agent is gonna come here unless we win some more games

So when we win 19 games and get that 4th spot with no picks over winning 16 and the 2nd (chance at keeping a top 3 pick) spot free agents are going to flock to lakerland because of 19 wins over 16?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Triangle_Offense wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Lakers Brass is delusional that's why. All they care about is KFT and to make money off of it.

How are they making money off it? I haven't been to a game, but did they raise the price of hot dogs?

They've jacked ticket prices up

Huh? Where did you see increased ticket prices? Just curious.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

ElginWorthy wrote:
I don't get it.

They made several bad trades, for aging players, and with rent-a-player contracts, botched the Howard trade, lost him for nothing, and basically mortgaged their future. But thanks to the fine print in the Nash trade, they have a chance not to get hammered in the deal . . . and it looks like they're about to blow it.

Stop winning games!!

A Lakers team with a young core of Russell, Randle, Simmons (perhaps), Clarkson and Nance is potentially good, and just a decent center away from being a serious competitor. But win a few more games and they're still not going to be playoff bound, and they'll lose their chance for a Top Three player.

I've never seen our situation described so vividly. Particularly the bolded part. Great post.

There is nothing we can do to guarantee ourselves the top 3 pick. Even if we get the worst record this year.
But we can still give ourselves the best chance possible to land Simmons or Ingram.

When it comes to FAs, another top pick on the roster is more attractive than some Kobe-lead, late-season wins. Kobe won't be back next year.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject:

People (bleep) about the same thing last year, it worked out well in the end. Have some faith, the basketball gods reward teams who don't blatantly try to tank.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
People (bleep) about the same thing last year, it worked out well in the end. Have some faith, the basketball gods reward teams who don't blatantly try to tank.

This post proves you are still in your prime Doc36....
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I don't think beating the Pelicans because Kobe Bryant hits a couple of desperation deep 3-pointers is going to entice any free agents to come play for the Lakers next year.

It's also my opinion. If winning at this moment could make a difference for FA (maybe it's too late), it's must come from the young guns. If Russell and Co. show sign of future greatness it could be a point. But winning only because of Kobe finding some gas in that Lamborghini is useless.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft).

We also have a high 2nd round pick and 60m+ in cap space.

It's not the end of the world.

My thoughts exactly...

Hope for the best (Keeping the pick, Firing Scott/hiring Walton), Prepare for the worst (Losing the pick, Giving Scott a five year extension). Nothing us fans can do here but watch and hope.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Telling a team to intentionally lose games is bad basketball. You're just turning yourselves into Philadelphia at that point.

If Russell, Randle and Clarkson were out there dominating and willing the team to victory late in games, I don't think anyone would have a problem.

I beg to differ. I am sure the same cast of characters would be complaining just as they are now. They have complained about every win the past 3 seasons.

As for the thread title, we don't have a top 3 pick, it isn't ours to lose, we already traded it. With some luck we might be able to get it back. Passing on developing the talent we have isn't worth a 50% chance of getting the pick. They need to learn what it takes to compete, how to play in clutch time and what it takes to win.

true, but 100% losing the pick versus 50% is a huge difference. Worth it imo. If the trio of youngsters are true talents in the making, then they will bare the mediocrity and the BS that is byron scott.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
We're a whopping 11-41. This isn't the time to panic. lol

I get nervous whenever they act like a German tank instead of a Sherman tank. The Panzers and Tiger tanks were superior to our Shermans, but the Sherman won the War. Shermans were deathboxes. Philly is exemplifying that model. Deathbox basketball.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

My thoughts exactly...

Hope for the best (Keeping the pick, Firing Scott/hiring Walton), Prepare for the worst (Losing the pick, Giving Scott a five year extension). Nothing us fans can do here but watch and hope.

Nothing can prepare for a Scott extension.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

Top 3 is a coin flip basically. Nothing to get worked up about this year.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
KBH wrote:

I get nervous whenever they act like a German tank instead of a Sherman tank. The Panzers and Tiger tanks were superior to our Shermans, but the Sherman won the War. Shermans were deathboxes. Philly is exemplifying that model. Deathbox basketball.

Philly is more like a septic tank.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

kikanga wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
I don't get it.

Stop winning games!!

I've never seen our situation described so vividly. Particularly the bolded part. Great post.

There is nothing we can do to guarantee ourselves the top 3 pick. Even if we get the worst record this year.
But we can still give ourselves the best chance possible to land Simmons or Ingram.

When it comes to FAs, another top pick on the roster is more attractive than some Kobe-lead, late-season wins. Kobe won't be back next year.

It isn't, FAs don't care about some kid that might or might not make it in the NBA. Finishing the season winning games is much more impressive to them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

andree wrote:
Username wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I don't think beating the Pelicans because Kobe Bryant hits a couple of desperation deep 3-pointers is going to entice any free agents to come play for the Lakers next year.

It's also my opinion. If winning at this moment could make a difference for FA (maybe it's too late), it's must come from the young guns. If Russell and Co. show sign of future greatness it could be a point. But winning only because of Kobe finding some gas in that Lamborghini is useless.

Did you actually watch the games we won? Did you see how well the young players played? Do you honestly think their play had nothing to do with winning those games?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
KBH wrote:

Philly is more like a septic tank.

Philly is ponzi scheme to make Sam Hinkie more money

!...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

Nothing can prepare for a Scott extension.

We won't have to worry about that unless we are winning a lot of games and if we are, we will be happy.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Are people here really panicking over barely beating two very bad teams?

Nets just won yesterday and are likely to get sir 2nd straight win against the Sixers.

Which completely cancels out our two straight wins while the Lakers now have a long tough ass Feburary.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Did you actually watch the games we won? Did you see how well the young players played? Do you honestly think their play had nothing to do with winning those games?

I saw how well they played - when Kobe is the "alpha scorer" for the team while shooting Reggie Miller shots. Lou can't do what Kobe is doing, teams would lock him up if he was the featured player on offense.

If the Lakers get to 20 and jeopardize the pick, it needs to be because of good team ball and not just lucking into wins against shorthanded teams on Kobe daggers, or Derozan won't be joining this roster.  Right now we need every asset possible to overhaul the roster in the summer, possibly in a trade.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I must be watching the wrong Lakers channel. They're losing just about every night on the one I'm watching.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Lmao. We've won 11 games and people are still (bleep) we need to lose more. Great loser mentality. You play to win. That's it.
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

everyone calm down. it's one thing for the Lakers to stink for a few seasons with a superstar #24 but for the Lakers to stink and have no
superstars when #24 retires is not gonna happen. Adam silver is gonna make sure we get a possible lock star in simmons come draft day.
nba = wwe
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott = terrible coach... who would rather win 16 games with the Lakers getting knocked out of the top 3 picks... than win 12 games with Lakers having a top 3 pick record.

Last edited by M2K on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

We need that #1, live with the #2....but watching Kobe play as he has in the last two games is priceless. Almost everything in the future is unknown except we will never get to see Kobe do what he does after this season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: