Who Will Be the Next NBA Player to get a KFT Level Farewell?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Paul Pierce will be the next great to get a Kobe type FT.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Even if lebron wanted one I doubt he will get the same level of attention. I think the closest player would be Duncan.

LeBron has popularity but he is hated. Duncan is respected but isn't very popular. No player has the fan base that Kobe does.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

DALAKERSRULE wrote:
Paul Pierce will be the next great to get a Kobe type FT.

Um. Doubt it. Maybe a few wheelchairs here and there.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Duncan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

MJ was the best for a long time, he got it.
Magic was the best for a long time, he got it.
Kareem was the best for a long time, and really good for even longer. he got it.

Magic didn't have a farewell tour. He retired the first time before the season started because of HIV. He came back for that comeback year about five years later, and retired after it, but no one knew if he was going to continue to play. I remember reading articles right before the start of the next season where Jerry West was having one of his ongoing panic attacks waiting for Magic to decide if he was coming back or not

MJ didn't have a farewell tour either. He retired after his second season with the Wizards. A lot of people suspected that would be it, but he didn't announce it in advance.

Only two NBA players I know of before Kobe who had a farewell tour were Kareem and Dr. J. I believe Kareem came back for the final season because he needed money because he was having some well-documented financial problems at the time.

Didn't Bird get a farewell tour?

No. He retired right after the dream team won a gold medal. Can't get a farewell tour if you're sitting at home and not touring
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Duncan/LeBron/Curry
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Even if lebron wanted one I doubt he will get the same level of attention. I think the closest player would be Duncan.

LeBron would get more attention that Duncan.

No way dude.

Lebron is a great athelete and all but no man who flops as much as he does is going to earn my respect, I know a a lot of people who feel the same.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

LeBron would get more attention that Duncan.

No way dude.

Lebron is a great athelete and all but no man who flops as much as he does is going to earn my respect, I know a a lot of people who feel the same.

LeBron has many more fans, that is a fact.

Whether you or your buddies respect him or not is irrelevant. You were talking about attention not who deserves it.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Lebron will get one if he wants it.

Doubt it. Sorry to say that as good as Lebron has been in reality or fantasy, he will never match the popularity that old timers like mj bird n magic had.

Kobe on the other hand has expanded the influence to europe n asia, mostly china. He has teamed up with messi, the best soccer player ever to reach worldwide audience.

Funny thing is despite the many members of this board trying to discredit Kobe, it turned out that those teams that Kobe constantly gave a headache to have had the most respect for kobe. Look at the appreciations from spurs n celtics, two most hated teams. I watched in awe what the spurs coach n main players said about kobe. Total respect n total class act. I think its because kobe has given them the bitter sweet memories all these years. There will be no nail_biting moments that is kobe bryant anymore.

I dont see lebron having that kinda hate n love effect kobe has instilled to foes n friends alike.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Just curious, because I was thinking about this the other day.

Do you think it helps, in terms of Kobe getting the treatment he's been getting, that we're absolutely terrible and that Kobe is not close to the same player he once was? I think it does.

Let's rewind the clock a bit. Assume we have a 60-win team, Kobe is scoring 28 points per game humiliating virtually everyone in his path like he did and announces his retirement with the intention of going out on top. I honestly wonder if teams would still be willing to put him on a pedestal while he sends their own fans home crying and whining after a loss.

I think we sort of have all of the variables at play here for a FT. Kobe can still play meaningful minutes, isn't good enough anymore to dominate his opponent on a nightly basis, and his team isn't good enough to beat on their opponent. So all of those things would need to be in play I think, for whoever gets the next farewell tour.

No one is going to want to praise Duncan while he and his team whoop on your own team. Imagine, late in the season, it's Duncan's last game at Staples and they stand between us and a playoff berth for us. Would we really chant Duncan (or whoever's name?). I dunno, I doubt it.

So to me, it's less about the player per se, and more about the player in addition to those other factors being at play as well.

Interesting point. The more I think about it, the more you seem right with your theory.

There has to be an Old Yeller type ethos going on with opposing teams fan bases when it comes to Kobe. He seems more likable when he's harmless and smiling for 48 minutes a night. Gives the people time to reflect.
this is funny. Its like you build a wall of 1000 bricks n say some of them not well placed. Instead of seeing the good ones you celebrate the few bad ones.

The only player geeting my nod for this notion is if Rodman had a farewell tour.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
Lebron will get one if he wants it.

Doubt it. Sorry to say that as good as Lebron has been in reality or fantasy, he will never match the popularity that old timers like mj bird n magic had.

You think fans will only stand and applaud a great player who they know is retiring if he's as popular as MJ or Magic? That's a new one!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: