Opinions of Kobe "recruiting " some free agents

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Opinions of Kobe "recruiting " some free agents

With all the discussion and hopes of the multiple All-Star free agents signing this summer in mind.

How much can/will Kobe do to gauge some interest and perhaps convince some of the free agents to actually band together?

He will be with many of them during the All-Star break, he can talk to them and even take them out to dinner when Kupchak cannot. He can arrange things similar to how Wade had Lebron and Bosh lined up before Free Agency even started that year. Or Parsons was openly recruiting Jordan.

I have stated I find the concept of signing 2-4 elite free agents as some describe (Durant, Whiteside, Derozan, etc...) as highly unlikely. But I also acknowledge the Lakers have to try. I just do not want them to spend several days waiting for an answer only to see some solid 2nd tier free agents sign elsewhere. Then having to scramble to find someone to take their money, even if for a year.

Do you think he has the influence and willingness to act as an ambassador to help close this deal, if it can be done at all! At the worst he can get confirmation from the prime targets that they are not interested and the Lakers would be free to confidently move on to other free agents.

Thoughts?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

If willing, Kobe can be a big closing presence. Guys like Durant, Droz absolutely worship Kobe. He will tell it to them straight and give them a real insight into the team. Of course Durant/DRoz are grown men, but having Kobe as a closing pitch (as opposed to Mitch/Jim, and even a Kobe that was under contract) is a nice tool to use.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe has been treated well by the Lakers, I am sure he will pass that on
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe has been treated well by the Lakers, I am sure he will pass that on

Good selling point.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions of Kobe "recruiting " some free agents

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
With all the discussion and hopes of the multiple All-Star free agents signing this summer in mind.

How much can/will Kobe do to gauge some interest and perhaps convince some of the free agents to actually band together?

He will be with many of them during the All-Star break, he can talk to them and even take them out to dinner when Kupchak cannot. He can arrange things similar to how Wade had Lebron and Bosh lined up before Free Agency even started that year. Or Parsons was openly recruiting Jordan.

I have stated I find the concept of signing 2-4 elite free agents as some describe (Durant, Whiteside, Derozan, etc...) as highly unlikely. But I also acknowledge the Lakers have to try. I just do not want them to spend several days waiting for an answer only to see some solid 2nd tier free agents sign elsewhere. Then having to scramble to find someone to take their money, even if for a year.

Do you think he has the influence and willingness to act as an ambassador to help close this deal, if it can be done at all! At the worst he can get confirmation from the prime targets that they are not interested and the Lakers would be free to confidently move on to other free agents.

Thoughts?

There's a big difference between active guys in their prime recruiting players to join them, and a retiring star pumping the team he will no longer be a part of. NBA players certainly respect Kobe, but with him retiring and holding no real power in the organization going forward, I doubt he'll carry much influence with free agents. And I wouldn't expect anyone to give him a definitive idea of their intentions.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions of Kobe "recruiting " some free agents

activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Thoughts?

There's a big difference between active guys in their prime recruiting players to join them, and a retiring star pumping the team he will no longer be a part of. NBA players certainly respect Kobe, but with him retiring and holding no real power in the organization going forward, I doubt he'll carry much influence with free agents. And I wouldn't expect anyone to give him a definitive idea of their intentions.

Also, I don't know why, and I definitely have no sources or other special insight into the situation, but just based on personal thoughts I don't feel like Kobe will be recruiting that hard for players to come play for the Lakers when he's leaving.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: