Cam Newton is a sore loser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

Another disappointment from Cam. I said I thought he didn't dive for the loose ball because maybe just maybe he thought it was a forward pass.

Well, this morning he removed the maybe just maybe from the equation, according to SAS. Cam said he was gathering himself to go after the ball and had second thoughts, he would have had to contort his body and he didn't want to risk injury.

Here's a player who dives over the line of scrimmage to score. Call plays for him to run the ball, get hit, run back to the huddle and call another play, maybe him again running the ball.

If I were a teammate of his I'd be very upset with him. Michael Smith said on His & Hers this morning his teammates were chanting we love Cam during the interview.
He admitted he's a sore loser. He said show me some one who's a good looser and I'll show you a loser.

I'll give him this, he's still being Cam. No one has made him switch reels. I believe his brand is going to take a hit.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
AlohaMade
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Another disappointment from Cam. I said I thought he didn't dive for the loose ball because maybe just maybe he thought it was a forward pass.

Well, this morning he removed the maybe just maybe from the equation, according to SAS. Cam said he was gathering himself to go after the ball and had second thoughts, he would have had to contort his body and he didn't want to risk injury.

Here's a player who dives over the line of scrimmage to score. Call plays for him to run the ball, get hit, run back to the huddle and call another play, maybe him again running the ball.

If I were a teammate of his I'd be very upset with him. Michael Smith said on His & Hers this morning his teammates were chanting we love Cam during the interview.
He admitted he's a sore loser. He said show me some one who's a good looser and I'll show you a loser.

I'll give him this, he's still being Cam. No one has made him switch reels. I believe his brand is going to take a hit.

At least hes honest about who he is, that and some sklills, thats about all ill give him.

I dont respect his attitude one bit, there is a lot to be said for grace and humility whether you win OR lose. His attitude during the presser is a clear indication of a lack of respect, of his teammates, his org, and most importantly imo.....his opponent. When you actt hat way you are sending a signal to your opponent that it was BS, and it takes away from their accomplishment.

Im disappointed in his defeatist play during the game, and his attitude afterward. I totally understand why he feels the way he does, in the same way i understand why a toddler throws a tantrum when they get put on timeout. You excuse the toddler, not a 26 year old multimillionaire role model.

No clutching pearls here, just eye rolling from an adult watching a phenomenon becoming all too regular with todays entitlement culture. Evidenced by those actually defending his behavior in this thread. As others have said, hes under contract, and players get fined for acting the way he did. Hes one of those most fortunate people in the world and yes, i DO expect grace and humility when you lose. Show some respect.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Front running all season long, cramped up and got passed at the home stretch.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

Since Cam didn't give the media what they wanted, soundbites after the game, he made enemies with them. Now they've got their knives out and they've got a whole 6 months before the season starts to write bad things about him. I see his post game interview as an example of how to poorly handle the media when you are down and out.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

AlohaMade wrote:
jodeke wrote:

At least hes honest about who he is, that and some sklills, thats about all ill give him.

I dont respect his attitude one bit, there is a lot to be said for grace and humility whether you win OR lose. His attitude during the presser is a clear indication of a lack of respect, of his teammates, his org, and most importantly imo.....his opponent. When you actt hat way you are sending a signal to your opponent that it was BS, and it takes away from their accomplishment.

Im disappointed in his defeatist play during the game, and his attitude afterward. I totally understand why he feels the way he does, in the same way i understand why a toddler throws a tantrum when they get put on timeout. You excuse the toddler, not a 26 year old multimillionaire role model.

No clutching pearls here, just eye rolling from an adult watching a phenomenon becoming all too regular with todays entitlement culture. Evidenced by those actually defending his behavior in this thread. As others have said, hes under contract, and players get fined for acting the way he did. Hes one of those most fortunate people in the world and yes, i DO expect grace and humility when you lose. Show some respect.

First, I don't think Cam needs you, me or anyone else sitting at home to "give him" anything. You don't know him, I don't know him, but I'm pretty sure he's perfectly content without your acknowledgement or mine ...

Second, the "defense" of Cam here was much less about "defending" Cam, and much more a criticism of: (1) those lambasting his conduct from the anonymity of their (likely) glass houses; and (2) the foolish NFL practice of requiring media presence in the immediate aftermath of a game, esp. one of enormous personal and organizational importance like the Super Bowl.

Third, where does the entitlement part fit in this discussion? He's under contract, one that conforms to NFLPA and league guidelines. He's already acknowledged that he's a sore loser, which I think goes much too far. If his conduct violated any of these guidelines and the league wishes to take action, they will do so. Likewise, if the NFLPA and/or Cam's representation take issue with the league's actions, they will do so per the mechanisms in place for those types of circumstances. But where is the entitlement? An adult electing to walk out of a press conference in the IMMEDIATE aftermath of a crushing loss on the biggest stage of his life (one he may never see again) represents "entitlement" to you?

Lastly, I find your expectations of grace and humility in the wake of a professional football game disturbing ... your expectations, like mine, are irrelevant. But I'll be blunt: I don't think your expectations are compatible with professional football in the 21st century. This isn't golf or tennis ...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

First, I don't think Cam needs you, me or anyone else sitting at home to "give him" anything. You don't know him, I don't know him, but I'm pretty sure he's perfectly content without your acknowledgement or mine ...

I think his comments of the last several weeks would tend to indicate otherwise.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

There was a racist slant to the way Cam Newton was reported on before and after the Superbowl.
Before the Superbowl. "Cam is a bad winner", "he celebrates too much". But its alright when Aaron Rodgers does the same thing.

After the Superbowl. "Cam is a baby", "he's brought shame to the league as a whole by being a sore loser".
But it was alright when Payton Manning lost in the Superbowl to the Saints and walked off the field without shaking anyone's hand.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:

I think his comments of the last several weeks would tend to indicate otherwise.

Yeah, and you might be right on that point ... frankly, I'm not a Carolina fan and I don't consider myself a Cam Newton fan, either. I also didn't spend much time paying keen attention to the media coverage of Cam leading up to the Super Bowl. But if he cares very much about his critics, I think it's a mistake. As we've known for some time now, the media wields the power to make life very difficult for high-profile athletes.

And that's why I think the Barry Bonds approach with the media or the Marshawn Lynch approach with the media just works better for some individuals ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:

Yeah, and you might be right on that point ... frankly, I'm not a Carolina fan and I don't consider myself a Cam Newton fan, either. I also didn't spend much time paying keen attention to the media coverage of Cam leading up to the Super Bowl. But if he cares very much about his critics, I think it's a mistake. As we've known for some time now, the media wields the power to make life very difficult for high-profile athletes.

And that's why I think the Barry Bonds approach with the media or the Marshawn Lynch approach with the media just works better for some individuals ...

Yep, just look at Shaq and Kobe for a good example. Be nice to the media and they'll reciprocate it. Make enemies with them and they can make your life miserable.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to give Cam credit for one thing here;

He's not hiding from his actions. He's fully owning them without excuses and that's exactly what you'd hope someone would do. I expected him to come out in damage control mode and offer up a hundred revisionist lies, but wad pleasantly surprised to see the young man honestly own all of it. Kudos to him for that.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There was a racist slant to the way Cam Newton was reported on before and after the Superbowl.
Before the Superbowl. "Cam is a bad winner", "he celebrates too much". But its alright when Aaron Rodgers does the same thing.

Actually, I watched a great deal of coverage in the couple of weeks prior to the Super Bowl. And while there was discussion of how Cam celebrated etc., the media was pretty universal is saying that the criticism wasn't fair and that Cam was being who he was and pointing out the good things he does - such as starting the whole thing of handing footballs to kids in the stands after scores.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Actually, I watched a great deal of coverage in the couple of weeks prior to the Super Bowl. And while there was discussion of how Cam celebrated etc., the media was pretty universal is saying that the criticism wasn't fair and that Cam was being who he was and pointing out the good things he does - such as starting the whole thing of handing footballs to kids in the stands after scores.

That's fair.
But the racial slant is still there, because the discussion wouldn't have occurred in the first place if Cam had Aaron Rodgers/J.J. Watt's complexion.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That's fair.
But the racial slant is still there, because the discussion wouldn't have occurred in the first place if Cam had Aaron Rodgers/J.J. Watt's complexion.

The problem with that position is that players like Philip Rivers, Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leaf etc. who share a complexion with Watt and Rodgers have been scrutinized for their questionable behavior and attitude. Meanwhile, players who share a complexion with Newton have been universally praised and and admired because they didn't act in a similar fashion. Hell, one of the NFL's biggest awards is in the name of Walter Peyton because he was universally acknowledged as a class act. Something that wouldn't happen if this idea of inherent bias actually existed.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Cam and 'Bron. Cut from the same cloth.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That's fair.

The problem with that position is that players like Philip Rivers, Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leaf etc. who share a complexion with Watt and Rodgers have been scrutinized for their questionable behavior and attitude. Meanwhile, players who share a complexion with Newton have been universally praised and and admired because they didn't act in a similar fashion. Hell, one of the NFL's biggest awards is in the name of Walter Peyton because he was universally acknowledged as a class act. Something that wouldn't happen if this idea of inherent bias actually existed.

I think the baseline for media criticism in each example you or I have given has an element of race dependency. (Not saying race is the only factor, but saying it is a factor).

To find comparable criticism to what Cam is getting now for a Caucasian player, people bring up players who have drug and alcohol addiction problems (Manziel) or shouting matches with their GM and coaches (Leaf).

I'm having trouble thinking of the example you mean when you bring up Philip Rivers. When has he faced the level of media scrutiny Cam has been facing these past 2 weeks?

It's tough to make Apples to Apples comparisons across different races, and that shows the bias I'm talking about.
Cam criticized for celebrating, when other Caucasian players celebrate the same and don't get the same criticism.
Cam being a "poor loser" after the game, when Payton was a sore loser in his loss to the Saints and didn't get the same criticism.

Different baselines for criticism.

Saying the media can't have an inherited bias because an NFL award is named after an African American. Parallels the argument that racism can't exist in America because we've had an African American president.
I disagree.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

It is what it is. My take is that Cam has "Dan Marino Syndrome" and is laboring under the misapprehension that it will be easy to get back to the Super Bowl. He may well regret this moment later in his career, particularly if he isn't able to make it back.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I'm having trouble thinking of the example you mean when you bring up Philip Rivers. When has he faced the level of media scrutiny Cam has been facing these past 2 weeks?

No, but he has certainly been criticized for the same things Cam has - being overly celebratory and getting into it with opposing fans at a game. He's also been criticized for handling defeat less than graciously.

Has he been scrutinized as specifically and intensely as Cam has been the last couple of weeks? No, but then again, he hasn't been in the spotlight that is the Super Bowl either. You can be sure if he had been, he'd have been scrutinized - as has every QB who has made a SB appearance, regardless of their race or reputation.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

No, but he has certainly been criticized for the same things Cam has - being overly celebratory and getting into it with opposing fans at a game. He's also been criticized for handling defeat less than graciously.

Has he been scrutinized as specifically and intensely as Cam has been the last couple of weeks? No, but then again, he hasn't been in the spotlight that is the Super Bowl either. You can be sure if he had been, he'd have been scrutinized - as has every QB who has made a SB appearance, regardless of their race or reputation.

Dang, even when I disagree with your perspective.
I can still see merit in your arguments.
Good point.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Dang, even when I disagree with your perspective.
I can still see merit in your arguments.
Good point.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Like Denver, their D carried them all season long. Unlike Denver, their QB has (bleep) for brains and once you force him to pass from the pocket, he's neutered. As for Cam having "Dan Marino syndrome", at least the Panthers will still have a rock solid supporting cast unlike the swiss cheese defense of the Dolphins.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
I'm going to give Cam credit for one thing here;

He's not hiding from his actions. He's fully owning them without excuses and that's exactly what you'd hope someone would do. I expected him to come out in damage control mode and offer up a hundred revisionist lies, but wad pleasantly surprised to see the young man honestly own all of it. Kudos to him for that.

IA. He didn't make any excuses. He said he was a poor loser. Said every one handles things differently. Said he handles things his way and that's what it is. Said he's Cam Newton and that's the way Cam Newton handles things. If people don't like it, so be it, he's not going to change.

Have to say I was surprised he didn't back pedal one bit. IMO taking onus was the right thing to do.

He said what he said and that's all what he said, said Cam the Panther man.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

If everyone acted professionally, we would't have anything to talk about. The game itself was a bore, and now Cam became the story. The NFL somehow always wins. He probably should have acted differently post game, but this isn't the end of the world. For some reason, what bothered me as much as I was watching it was Peyton confirming once again to millions that he's a huge corporate whore. Budweiser this, Budweiser that, a kiss to the owner of that awful pizza chain.

As I said in the other thread, the only thing that really bothered me about Cam Newton in the last few weeks was his refusal to acknowledge that there have been plenty of successful black QBs in the past and present. Over-celebration after TDs? Meh. Not giving the usual canned answers after losing the Super Bowl? Meh.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

As a non-viewer of the NFL, I didn't know of Cam Newton's existence until he choked and then acted little a little ho-cake.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Like Denver, their D carried them all season long. Unlike Denver, their QB has (bleep) for brains and once you force him to pass from the pocket, he's neutered. As for Cam having "Dan Marino syndrome", at least the Panthers will still have a rock solid supporting cast unlike the swiss cheese defense of the Dolphins.

Careful man. That comparison may lead to accusations of "racial bias", because after all, the only reason one would say such a thing has to be racially motivated and couldn't possibly come from a pace of factual merit.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
If everyone acted professionally, we would't have anything to talk about. The game itself was a bore, and now Cam became the story. The NFL somehow always wins. He probably should have acted differently post game, but this isn't the end of the world. For some reason, what bothered me as much as I was watching it was Peyton confirming once again to millions that he's a huge corporate whore. Budweiser this, Budweiser that, a kiss to the owner of that awful pizza chain.

While the idea that he was paid for the Budweiser mention may not be true, it turns out he has investments in two Bud Light Breweries.

Quote:
As I said in the other thread, the only thing that really bothered me about Cam Newton in the last few weeks was his refusal to acknowledge that there have been plenty of successful black QBs in the past and present. Over-celebration after TDs? Meh. Not giving the usual canned answers after losing the Super Bowl? Meh.

That and refusing to acknowledge that those successful black QBs were not met with the criticisms he claims are solely race based.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: