Cam Newton is a sore loser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
As a non-viewer of the NFL, I didn't know of Cam Newton's existence until he choked and then acted little a little ho-cake.

Do you watch college football? Or aren't a football watcher. He won a national championship and Heisman its not as if he came out of nowhere.

So I admit this surprises me.

As for this? All this goes away if he wins . How many people bring up Lebron's postgame presser after losing the Finals to the Mavs?

Not many because he won two titles afterwards(and seems to have matured since then) maybe Cam will too.

I didn't have an issue with his comments but that he walked off it isn't a good look regardless of who it is.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I think he handled it OK. dude wanted to cry in the locker room, let him do it... it's not like he went Manziel... jeeezzzzzzzzzzz
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Considering what game it was is really the main reason this is as big a deal as it is.

If it was a regular season game there would be backlash but it wouldn't be global.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Considering what game it was is really the main reason this is as big a deal as it is.

If it was a regular season game there would be backlash but it wouldn't be global.

Trust me, no one outside the United States gives a damn about this.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah good point after the game I don't think they really care what happens afterwards. I guess viral would be the better term. Even so nobody I know at work is talking about it (and our sister office is in Charlotte) I only notice people talking about it online more than anything.

While I think Cam could've handled it better I'm not morally outraged either as the media likes to believe we are.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Front running all season long, cramped up and got passed at the home stretch.

Like Denver, their D carried them all season long. Unlike Denver, their QB has (bleep) for brains and once you force him to pass from the pocket, he's neutered. As for Cam having "Dan Marino syndrome", at least the Panthers will still have a rock solid supporting cast unlike the swiss cheese defense of the Dolphins.

Careful man. That comparison may lead to accusations of "racial bias", because after all, the only reason one would say such a thing has to be racially motivated and couldn't possibly come from a pace of factual merit.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject:

In addition to the issues I alluded to earlier re: the NFL's problematic media requirements (i.e., availability ... see (2) below) in the days and weeks before the Super Bowl, followed by the media frenzy in the minutes immediately following the game, this ...

(1) http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/19629/denvers-chris-harris-could-have-played-a-role-in-cam-newton-walking-out-on-media

(2) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/cam-newton-says-super-bowl-media-requirements-get-under-his-skin/

So let's summarize:

(a) a deeply crestfallen competitor;
(b) after brusquely answering a few questions, walks out on a press conference;
[brimming with inane questions that repeat themselves over and over again, broken up only by the smartass who tries to trigger a controversial reaction or soundbite]
(c) in the immediate aftermath of the most devastating setback of his professional career, on the biggest stage with the brightest lights;
(d) during which opposing players are very clearly overheard nearby explaining how they defeated his team (but really, neutralized him and thereby won the game) ...

This additional context should matter for the critics, but it probably won't ... such men of unimpeachable honor and duty, demanding conformity to rigid 20th (maybe 19th) century expectations re: role model excellence, are unapologetic about making no exception for human behavior variability. I mean, other than their own ...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
If everyone acted professionally, we would't have anything to talk about. The game itself was a bore, and now Cam became the story. The NFL somehow always wins. He probably should have acted differently post game, but this isn't the end of the world. For some reason, what bothered me as much as I was watching it was Peyton confirming once again to millions that he's a huge corporate whore. Budweiser this, Budweiser that, a kiss to the owner of that awful pizza chain.

As I said in the other thread, the only thing that really bothered me about Cam Newton in the last few weeks was his refusal to acknowledge that there have been plenty of successful black QBs in the past and present. Over-celebration after TDs? Meh. Not giving the usual canned answers after losing the Super Bowl? Meh.

Great post, completely concur.

Cam Newton has handled himself fine, both on and off the field under a huge microscope. He had a bad game and they lost on the big stage, he was disappointed and didn't feel like having his chain yanked by the media, not the end of the world in my mind.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Wilt wrote:
If everyone acted professionally, we would't have anything to talk about. The game itself was a bore, and now Cam became the story. The NFL somehow always wins. He probably should have acted differently post game, but this isn't the end of the world. For some reason, what bothered me as much as I was watching it was Peyton confirming once again to millions that he's a huge corporate whore. Budweiser this, Budweiser that, a kiss to the owner of that awful pizza chain.

As I said in the other thread, the only thing that really bothered me about Cam Newton in the last few weeks was his refusal to acknowledge that there have been plenty of successful black QBs in the past and present. Over-celebration after TDs? Meh. Not giving the usual canned answers after losing the Super Bowl? Meh.

Great post, completely concur.

Cam Newton has handled himself fine, both on and off the field under a huge microscope. He had a bad game and they lost on the big stage, he was disappointed and didn't feel like having his chain yanked by the media, not the end of the world in my mind.

Yep. It was a boring game, there was really nothing left for the pundits to talk about in the aftermath. Cam has a lot to learn, both in terms of operating in the pocket and conducting himself off the field.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
In addition to the issues I alluded to earlier re: the NFL's problematic media requirements (i.e., availability ... see (2) below) in the days and weeks before the Super Bowl, followed by the media frenzy in the minutes immediately following the game, this ...

(1) http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/19629/denvers-chris-harris-could-have-played-a-role-in-cam-newton-walking-out-on-media

(2) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/cam-newton-says-super-bowl-media-requirements-get-under-his-skin/

So let's summarize:

[brimming with inane questions that repeat themselves over and over again, broken up only by the smartass who tries to trigger a controversial reaction or soundbite]
(c) in the immediate aftermath of the most devastating setback of his professional career, on the biggest stage with the brightest lights;
(d) during which opposing players are very clearly overheard nearby explaining how they defeated his team (but really, neutralized him and thereby won the game) ...

This additional context should matter for the critics, but it probably won't ... such men of unimpeachable honor and duty, demanding conformity to rigid 20th (maybe 19th) century expectations re: role model excellence, are unapologetic about making no exception for human behavior variability. I mean, other than their own ...

Interesting that you feel the need to make this about those who are critical of him by making assumptions that they are hypocrites or somehow archaic.

The reality is lots of people have miserable days and still manage to go out and do the all of the things involved in the job expected of them - and in Cam's case he gets paid a ton of money to do them.

Is the idea of facing the media after a loss a drag? Sure. But it's part of the job - and for good reason. Do some of the media ask inane or provocative question? Sure. BFD. Lots of guys head into that situation without being pouty and immature - and most of them haven't made it a point to repeatedly tell everyone how tough they are and how much they are above their critics.

Cam's not getting heat for the press conference thing for being human. Cam's getting heat for acting like a hypocrite. You may not think it's fair, but it is the reality that comes with the spotlight of being a high-profile, highly paid athlete.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

So let's summarize:

Again, every year a QB is in the same position, they lost the same Super Bowl that he did, yet they don't react the same way. Whitewash it all you want, but Cam has a lot of growing up to do.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

If you showboat when times are good, you should be able to take the heat when times are bad. What he said about, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" was stupid. Many players lose but still show class. That's my take. Handle your (bleep) man.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
If you showboat when times are good, you should be able to take the heat when times are bad. What he said about, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" was stupid. Many players lose but still show class. That's my take. Handle your (bleep) man.

Not to mention he WAS the loser. I would also add that openly quitting on a key play that helped seal your team's fate is demonstrating oneself to be a loser.
Ahnfire24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

Didn't Peyton not even shake Drew Brees' hand after he lost to the Saints?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Ahnfire24 wrote:
Didn't Peyton not even shake Drew Brees' hand after he lost to the Saints?

Not an apples to apples comparison. Cam didn't shake Manning's hand after the game, but he isn't getting criticized for that. It would be a more relevant comparison if Peyton showed up to the PC afterwards and just rudely left. However, that isn't the case.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't think his walking out of the presser was professional. I applaud his handling of the criticism, owing his reaction, admitting to being a sore loser, saying he is what he is, not bending to critics is Brady like.

Reading some of the post leads me to the racial aspect of Cam's vilification.

I didn't know about Peyton not shaking hands after losing the Super Bowl. I did know Cam shook his after losing. There were a couple of other post showing how White QB indiscretions were glossed over and Cam's were highlighted.

I'll have to say Cam opened the racial door. It's taken over the controversy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't think his walking out of the presser was professional. I applaud his handling of the criticism, owing his reaction, admitting to being a sore loser, saying he is what he is, not bending to critics is Brady like.

I didn't know about Peyton not shaking hands after losing the Super Bowl. I did know Cam shook his after losing. There were a couple of other post showing how White QB indiscretions were glossed over and Cam's were highlighted.

This is like, a typical jodeke post in a nutshell.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Bottom line? Cam showed he has a lot of b1tch him in him. And it came out at the worst possible time. His teammates may be showing support for him publicly (as any good teammate would) but you know doubts about him are in the back of their mind to some degree.

To the guy kicking around the whole clutching pearls nonsense, yeah you're right in the every day world people don't handle things properly. The b1tch comes out in them too. And they are called out and their reliability, character, integrity, or whatever is called into question as well. It's just not blasted on Sportscenter 24/7 for the world to see.

As a public figure, the face of a franchise, and a hero to a city he has a certain responsibility. He needs to conduct himself in a certain manner. Just like a CEO, a school principal, or the head of the PTA does.

As of right now, that is not a dude that is going to lead any team to a Super Bowl. I could care less about the presser. His body language and "business decision" to not go after that fumble does not inspire a team to win the biggest game on the biggest stage however.

I coach an AAU basketball game, I have teenagers that don't behave like that when the chips are down.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It's pathetic and disappointing when posters such as yourself just lay out blanket statements like that without merit or supporting argument. It's lazy and cowardly. As if one just need mention that criticism is racially motivated and suddenly all the actual reasons for the criticism are supposed to disappear under an air of suspicion. It doesn't work that way.

Quote:

And there were posts that mentioned how white QB's have been vilified as well, or how black QB's have been respected and celebrated. You're putting forth an argument that isn't supported by reality of the discussion.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Again, imo, this has nothing to do with race and all to do with being young and immature.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yes it is...

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yes it is...

You've now got a post that allows you to go either way, or just put your hands up and cop out altogether. It's brilliant my man.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yes it is...

You've now got a post that allows you to go either way, or just put your hands up and cop out altogether. It's brilliant my man.

In my best JJ voice I KNOW LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Again, imo, this has nothing to do with race and all to do with being young and immature.

That's a door Cam opened. I'm kinda going off the top of my head here. I'm remembering McNabb as the same triple threat that Cam is.

Watching Around The Horn. I'm just learning the replay official who called the pass incomplete was a Denver fan.

Why was he allowed to be in the booth?

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Who was that kicker who missed a field goal that cost the Bills a superbowl the first year they made it? After he missed he came out and answered every question by the media, and looked totally defeated and heart broken.

That dude had balls of steel. Legendary press conference right there. Cam's statement that a good loser is just a loser would say that kicker is a loser. When really, he was exemplifying honorable qualities that Cam should really try to instill in himself, and let that be the example he gives to all the kids out there
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: