Are the Lakers Young uns enough to build a good core?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Are the Lakers Young uns enough to build a good core?

Will the Lakers young guns become a good enough core for a playoff bound team?

Let's extrapolate a little here...

1. Julius Randle PF, needs to work on his jumper and defense but he has shown he is a rebounding beast and a very good passer.

2. Jordan Clarkson, SG - is anyone disappointed with his play this season? He has improved from last season and he is the Lakers most consistent player. Still can improve his 3 ball.

3. DLo Russell, PG, still a work in progress...but has shown he can shoot well enough and I think the consensus is his D isn't too bad. If he improves as much as Jordan Clarkson did after his first season, he should be pretty good.

4. Larry Nance Jr, Back up PF - Can do it all, just needs to do it a little better. He needs to be less shy about shooting. Another season and he'll be even better.

5. Anthony Brown, SF, 3 and D, doing everything we could ask. I'm sure he'll improve more and if the Lakers ever get a decent offense, hopefully he'll knock down those open 3s.

6. Tarik Black, back up C - just needs to learn to shoot and according to some, improve his man D.

7. Robert Upshaw - C - needs to get stronger and more experienced. Has the tools on offense and can block shots. Would it be outlandish to say Andrew Bynum without the bad knees? Please sign him.

That's 7 potentially pretty decent players. If they get to keep the top 3 draft pick that would be pretty nice.

Seems pretty doubtful they Lakers would sign a superstar Free agent like Durant or even Westbrook.

Unless they want to trade some of the youngsters and try for an instant contender I think the youngsters are a pretty good core in the next 2 or 3 years.

What do you think of the Lakers going after Buddy Heidl from Oklahoma? (I think that's his name). They could sure use a light's out shooter.

Of course they need a good coach too.

Last edited by Lakerpark on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

no.

u need to use that 65m to get players who will let these guys be and grow at their own pace.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

This is just a wishful thinking post. We're not going to be an instant contender. Accept it.

At this point, everyone of our young guys is a question mark. Randle, Clarkson, etc. may be good enough to be starters on a good team. Or they may not be. We'll see how they develop. Heck, we'll see if we even keep Clarkson after this season or if he signs elsewhere.

And that's just the guys who have gotten some actual run. You are really getting into looney-tunes terrain when you praise guys like Brown (who has done nothing yet) and Upshaw (who has never played in the NBA and whose rights we don't even have).
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Way I see it D-LO has the potential to be the best point guard in the game. Superb court vision, probably has the best jump shot of this group. Decent handles. Starting to show off his post game. Sees the floor so well. He's like a quarterback in football who has the ability to look off defenders. He's learning to use his length on defense to overcome lack of elite foot speed.

Julius is already a double double machine and at 6"9 has the physicality combined with athleticism to offset his lack of size if he can continue to improve his jump shot and develop that right hand. He can be one of the league's premier big man in a few years ago.

JC is the most consistent performer of the group. His defense is still horrific, but offensively he is much improved and is so polished and skilled. If his defense doesn't improve than I see him as probably a super sixth man in the mold of Jamal Crawford or prime Jason Terry which is pretty damn good. Has a great floater.

Nance is a future starter in this league imo. He's like a poor man's Draymond Green. He makes good rotations. Takes good shots. Is a ball mover. Understands spacing and pick setting. Good pick and roll defender. Obviously a sensational athlete. Decent mid range jump shooter.

Anthony Brown has the potential to be a sensational perimeter defender. He's long, lanky, good defensive instincts, moves his foot well laterally, his issue is lack of strength so can be overpowered on the box and not a very good rebounder. His shot has gotten better, but still needs a lot of work. If he can do that he could be a starting small forward in a couple of years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

They could definitely be part of a core once a couple of quality vets are added to them. They need players to lead them.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

They're all really good side-kicks, but you need a volume scorer that can give you 24+ a night every night on decent efficiency who will be the alpha dog.

You also need a serious upgrade at center.

So, they're an incomplete core, but could be part of that core in 3+ years if that's how it plays out.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I think Russell has the potential to be a great player in the league. A high point and assists total guy once he developed his body and his handcuffs are removed (Byron).

Randle is a rebounding machine with good athleticism but man he has no feel around the basket. His shots are either bricks or bricks that actually goes in.

Clarkson IMO is a sixth man on a playoff team. Good scorer but his defense is so bad. A lot of time he suffers from tunnel vision.

Nance like a previous poster stated IMO can develop into a similar player as Draymond Green. Obviously not as good but a do it all guy who knows his place in the offense.

Last edited by sogood. on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

They are not do yet they have the young core together they just need the right vets to lead them.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Maybe good like a Memphis good. They need a superstar to make them great.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Part of a core rotation? Of course, but so is Barbosa. Might have some all star performances from dlo/clarkson/randle one day. But superstar? Hell no
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

There is only two guys on this Lakers team who you should feel comfortable executing Championship Level play down the line and that was D-Lo and Larry Nance Jr. The rest are trash, low IQ, or simply empty stat guys on this team. And I'm excusing Kobe cuz he's old.

Last edited by business101 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

There is only two guys on this Lakers team who you should feel comfortable executing Championship Level play down the line and that is D-Lo and Larry Nance Jr. The rest are trash, low IQ, or simply empty stat guys on this team.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Only time will tell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They could definitely be part of a core once a couple of quality vets are added to them. They need players to lead them.

This. And being on rookie deals helps get those proven vets. When said vets get older the rookies will be entering their prime. Boom.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject:

They are good enough to build around. They're just being held back by KFT, Lou, and Byron. Clarkson is Westbrook lite. Randle is a left handed Griffin and DLO is cerebral like Ginobli.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Well hopefully they will be held back next season by Derozan and Durant
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
They are good enough to build around. They're just being held back by KFT, Lou, and Byron. Clarkson is Westbrook lite. Randle is a left handed Griffin and DLO is cerebral like Ginobli.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Would be nice if JC/Randle/Dlo/AB/Black/Nance all got consistent minutes so that we could clearly answer that question.

I personally do be believe all 6 of those guys are keepers and can be guys in our rotation next year..

Whiteside/Black
Randle/Nance
A.Brown/Ingram
DeRozan
Russell/Clarkson
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I definitely agree they can be in our rotation, but if they are our top 5 or 6 we better hope we lose our pick this season so we can get a good one next offseason.
noobie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

If you're talking about a championship team, DLO and Nance can be part of the core. Randle has a shot especially with how hard he plays and the improvements he's been making.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

You should share those drugs you're doing.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

They could be, it's all a matter of if they can continue to develop at this rate.

People really need to realize that our most of our young players are in their rookie seasons. Clarkson is the only one with significant experience.

We'll never find out how good any of them are if they're traded away though. People need to be patient so we can see what we've really got.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Westbrook is such an extreme force of nature that being a lite version of him isn't something I can imagine. Westbrook's entire game is defined by aggression and imposing ones will.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

They could be. As much as I like Kobe, today's game is a prime example of why I would like to see them without KFT's presence. I think he took all the shots in the last 5mins of the game besides the air ball to Bass, that is not winning basketball and the young players learn nothing from those type of plays except not to dare try it themselves, I mean wow.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

We have legit talent on this team. I think we still need one more player like Ingram or Simmons and were set, honestly. I'm not in as much of a hurry as everyone else when it comes to contending. I understand it's a process and I'm enjoying the ride. After we draft in the top 3 again this season and allow the young players to play together for a year I will start thinking about expectations.

We still need centers and small forwards but i think we're good. Who knows, maybe we draft a center this draft.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: