Are the Lakers Young uns enough to build a good core?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject:

If you can't see the young guys potential then I don't know. What team has better under 23 guys than us? Maybe Minnesota?
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
They are good enough to build around. They're just being held back by KFT, Lou, and Byron. Clarkson is Westbrook lite. Randle is a left handed Griffin and DLO is cerebral like Ginobli.

lol what? Clarkson is nowhere near the talent of Westbrook. Scorers who can't play a lick of defense are a dime a dozen. Comparing Randle to Griffin is just disrespectful. Even though he plays for the Clippers, you can't deny his talent.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
They are good enough to build around. They're just being held back by KFT, Lou, and Byron. Clarkson is Westbrook lite. Randle is a left handed Griffin and DLO is cerebral like Ginobli.

lol what? Clarkson is nowhere near the talent of Westbrook. Scorers who can't play a lick of defense are a dime a dozen. Comparing Randle to Griffin is just disrespectful. Even though he plays for the Clippers, you can't deny his talent.

It's not disrespectful.

Yeah Griffin is a great talent, but so is Randle.

The Westbrook comparison is laughable I'll agree there.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject:

whether DLo/Randle/JC/Nance are good enough still remains to be seen, def potentials but grade still incomplete. I'm leaning toward a yes it is good enough but if there's a trade offer which include a star for 1 or 2 of our young uns, we should entertain the offer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers will view their young core as:

1. possible trade assets;
2. will stagger them to coincide with stars who are in prime and will exit it when guys like DLO/Randle enter their relative prime;
3. not enough by themselves at this moment to guide a team to the playoffs.

I think it's great we have cost-controlled (JC to a different extent due to his being a RFA) assets that we can add to more seasoned stars.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Clarkson numbers are similar to Westbrook's during his 2nd year. I'm not saying he's exactly Westbrook because he is stronger that's why I said lite. He has some Parker to his game as well with the floaters. Clarkson has elite level quickness and explosiveness for a guard.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Our young core isn't good enough, we need two or three big FA signings if we want to seriously compete.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
If you can't see the young guys potential then I don't know. What team has better under 23 guys than us? Maybe Minnesota?

We only have two guys under 23 -- Randle and Russell. Clarkson, Nance, and Brown are all 23.

Minnesota is definitely better. Towns and Wiggins are both 20. I'd take Towns by himself at this point over our entire group.

I'll take the Pelicans with Anthony Davis by himself. The Wizards. Orlando. Utah.

And I know you are using 23 as a cutoff, but I'd say GSW have the best young talent with Thompson, 25, Green, 25, and Barnes, 23.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Our young core isn't good enough, we need two or three big FA signings if we want to seriously compete.

Agreed. I am not tied to any of the 3, we need to start winning games next season, this is getting ridiculous.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject:

Lol Randle is avg a double-double as a 20 YO rookie...he will only get better as he develops his game.

Russel is giving you damn near 4 rebounds a game as a PG coming off the bench...again...only going to get better.

Clarkson pretty much is what he is and won't develop as much as the others but he's still only a second year player so he will develop some.

I think Minnesota looks better now but I also think laker fans (as well as everyone else) are severely underratting our kids potential. Randle and Russell should be giving us 20 ppg each as soon as next year but most likely the season after.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject:

Btw, I don't think a lot of people realize that how a player scores his points says a lot about the player. Randle will be a go-to-guy as soon as his jumpshot is consistent and not many players will be able to stick him 1v1. Russell is really good at finding the open spots on the floor...S owhen Randle starts getting doubled watch out...we're going to really have something.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Well, the slack surrounding what a "good core" means is considerable. Good enough to keep for two more years and add to ? Sure.

I like the pieces Clarkson, D'Angelo, Randle and Nance. I can't tell whether any one guy is capable of being the number two guy of a championship team or not. I sure don't see a number one quality guy here yet, unless a Chauncy Billups-like future develops for D-Angelo. Randle could have the greatest upside among these players, but there's risk that he doesn't develop much further too.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

Just sticking to the DLO/JC/Randle core and building AROUND them will keep us mired in the lottery for at least 2-3 years. I have confidence they will blossom into good players, but DLO/Randle are under 21 (JC will be 24 already in a few months).

The Lakers timetable already includes 3 missed playoffs. They're not going to wait around 2-3 years for these kids to grow up.

They will go after (and probably get 1 or 2 of): KD, DRoz, Westbrook, Ibaka, George, etc. in the next few seasons. Our young core will age and hit their prime just in time when the "star" players start aging.

That's how you sustain a dynastic run.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

You need a balance of what we already have in Russ, JC, Randle, Nance and some vets.

That is what free agency is all about this summer.

Think we have 3 main needs.

1- Big man that can play well in Screen/Roll situations with guards, and defend the rim.

2- Guard or wing that is a floor general type, someone with experience in winning games as a ballhandler. But not ball dominant. Someone that blends in with Russ/JC.

3- Wing that has legit size that can be versatile defensively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
You need a balance of what we already have in Russ, JC, Randle, Nance and some vets.

Yup. We're in a good place with having a nice and cheap group of young players plus the ability to add top vets via free agency. Even with JC, I don't see the Lakers offering more than the MLE (which is if they match any offers) or the QO (if they decide to use up the cap on other FAs) so for purposes of 2016, he'll still be a cheap building block.

I just don't think we should go all out one way. Can't just go with the young core; can't trade them all away for a 2-3 year run with older and expensive vets.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Clarkson numbers are similar to Westbrook's during his 2nd year. I'm not saying he's exactly Westbrook because he is stronger that's why I said lite. He has some Parker to his game as well with the floaters. Clarkson has elite level quickness and explosiveness for a guard.

No he doesn't. He's not the athlete you believe him to be. He's a good athlete but he's not elite or comparable to Westbrook. Westbrook is more athletic in every way. Not to mention he is an elite defender when he wants to be and has been since college. Clarkson is a liability at best on that end.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Think we have 3 main needs.

1- Big man that can play well in Screen/Roll situations with guards, and defend the rim.

2- Guard or wing that is a floor general type, someone with experience in winning games as a ballhandler. But not ball dominant. Someone that blends in with Russ/JC.

3- Wing that has legit size that can be versatile defensively.

1) Whiteside
2) parsons
3) Barnes

Those are my first(yet somewhat reasonable) choices for each need. I think Parsons wants to be with the Mavs so that's gonna be a tough sell but I think Barnes is a very legitimate possibility.
1)Russell/Clarkson
2)Barnes/Clarkson/Lou
3)Parsons/Brown
4)Randle/Nance
5)Whiteside/Black

That's a solid team that is a superstar away from championship caliber. They could be elite defensively with all of that length and versatility. Barnes and Parsons can both fill needs 2 and 3 as well so even just one of them would help a lot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Barnes isn't leaving if KD isn't going there. I think he will be difficult to attain as a RFA and by the end of the moratorium, the Warriors will know if KD is coming to them. If not, Warriors will match him for sure,.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

Hard to tell when we haven't really seen how Russell will develop. He looks solid and promising as a rookie...

Clarkson is fun to watch, but a horrendous defender.

Randle is a great rebounder with a limited offensive skillset.

Brown shows flashes here and there of being a good 3 and D type player.

Nance too shows a lot of promise, and might be the furthest developed of all the young guys.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Hard to tell when we haven't really seen how Russell will develop. He looks solid and promising as a rookie...

Clarkson is fun to watch, but a horrendous defender.

Randle is a great rebounder with a limited offensive skillset.

Brown shows flashes here and there of being a good 3 and D type player.

Nance too shows a lot of promise, and might be the furthest developed of all the young guys.

I think we have enough of an idea about how they would complement some of the top FAs coming up. (KD, DRoz, Westbrook, etc.). I think they'd work pretty well with each of these guys.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

The next Laker move or two will be interesting. Historically, when trying to reassemble a winning club management often brought in a somewhat volatile or disgruntled scoring veteran to help at the gate (Hawkins, Dantley, Ceballos).

I hope to avoid steps like that (e.g., DeMarcus Cousins.) They don't bring harmony and they don't contribute to championship quality play until used to bring someone else in. Interim steps, that what the club needs to execute well.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

No he doesn't. He's not the athlete you believe him to be. He's a good athlete but he's not elite or comparable to Westbrook. Westbrook is more athletic in every way. Not to mention he is an elite defender when he wants to be and has been since college. Clarkson is a liability at best on that end.

And at age 23, Westbrook made his second All-Star team. Westbrook is an elite NBA player, Clarkson is not. He has the potential to be very good, but I don't think Clarkson's ceiling is elite.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I like JC but I don't see him as "elite." But as a 46th pick, we have a stud as a possible core-piece 6th man/starter level guard. Not WB, but very few of those exist (and we will target the real WB anyways).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

It's a good young core.

None of them have really established themselves as franchise players.

It'll be interesting who steps up as a vocal leader for the team, and then shoulders the load for what the team needs instead of just trying to focus on self-development.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

If we add simmons heck yeah its a good core.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: