NY Daily News: The racial double standard between Cam and Manning on full display
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: NY Daily News: The racial double standard between Cam and Manning on full display

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-super-bowl-50-highlights-racial-double-standard-nfl-article-1.2524445

Let the racial games begin!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I won't lie there is a double standard between black and white athletes and how they're portrayed in the media

But I think at this point this screams agenda here to the point the media is instigating it.

Thinking Cam is a douche for how he handled his postgame presser isn't racist referring to him as the N word or claim he's a thug because of it would be another story.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE. Read, click bait, RACE RACE. Keep the distraction going America. While (bleep) in the background continues to jack you up.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

I don't need this additional data point to verify the existence of the double standard.

I didn't know that Bill Romanowski called him "boy" though. That's pretty racist. But it's also Bill Romanowski.

Another interesting question, if Cam was suspected of using HGH, would the media care?

I think they would.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE. Read, click bait, RACE RACE.

Yep. This article shows that if you look hard enough, you can always find a racial angle. This one is just a bit more stupid than some of the others.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Yep. This article shows that if you look hard enough, you can always find a racial angle. This one is just a bit more stupid than some of the others.

You don't have to look very hard to see it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

I expect that you don't. I feel sad for you.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

not so sure about this being racial, but cause by behavior differences. Russell Wilson is also black and i don't see media scrutinize him, maybe that's because he knows how to carry himself, be humble and low key. i think this has more to do than racial, but i agree there are definitely double standards involved with Cam just think it's not just racial.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

There is definitely a double-standard, but it's one Cam has set for himself through his behavior, not his race.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

LOL. Bill Romanowski used the racist term "boy"?

Man, what the heck have we become? We overstate EVERYTHING nowadays.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
not so sure about this being racial, but cause by behavior differences. Russell Wilson is also black and i don't see media scrutinize him, maybe that's because he knows how to carry himself, be humble and low key. i think this has more to do than racial, but i agree there are definitely double standards involved with Cam just think it's not just racial.

Well actually it was racial about Wilson, him being not black enough or he is a cornball brother
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Well actually it was racial about Wilson, him being not black enough or he is a cornball brother

SI did a write up about Wilson's inner circle and they all look like they come straight out of an Abercrombie ad.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-seattle-seahawks
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Russell Wilson is actually a great example to demonstrate the mechanics of the double standard.

Russell Wilson is an "acceptable" black athlete for white America. Loudmouth Cam, not so much.

"Blackness" isn't so much about skin pigmentation, it's about culture, fashion, behavior, and who you choose to associate with.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LOL. Bill Romanowski used the racist term "boy"?

Man, what the heck have we become? We overstate EVERYTHING nowadays.

In the spectrum of racist epithets used by whites against blacks, the word "boy" is pretty high on there.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

I feel sad for me too. I live in a world where I have to act just the right way so people don't use my appearance to perceive me as a threat to their safety.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Russell Wilson is actually a great example to demonstrate the mechanics of the double standard.

Russell Wilson is an "acceptable" black athlete for white America. Loudmouth Cam, not so much.

"Blackness" isn't so much about skin pigmentation, it's about culture, fashion, behavior, and who you choose to associate with.

Even though Cam Newton has quite a few mainstream commercials, people still see him as hood because of his background. But then again, OJ was a darling in mainstream America and we know how all that turned out. Sometimes you can't judge somebody from their background and upbringing.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

I feel sad for me too. I live in a world where I have to act just the right way so people don't use my appearance to perceive me as a threat to their safety.

(bleep), now I feel sad, too ... and did someone upstream seriously attempt to use the example of Russell Wilson as a counterpoint to refute the argument that black athletes don't get a fair shake? Well, good news / bad news situation, I guess. The good news is the fact that the institutionalized racism that so many are quick to deny is slowly degrading over time. The bad news is the fact that none of us are likely to see a world where this necessary journey has reached its end.
AlohaMade
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Palin wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

SI did a write up about Wilson's inner circle and they all look like they come straight out of an Abercrombie ad.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-
seattle-seahawks

Why wouldnt we celebrate this? If we segregate we are racists, but too much integration and you arent black enough. Just goes to show you cant please everyone. So tired of the race hustlers.
AlohaMade
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
K28 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

The world youre looking for exists, amazon.com under fiction. There are many, many of those worlds. Profiling, which today we like to call racism has always existed and always will. Its a survival mechanism on the same level as fight or flight. A la, if im white, im not taking a midnight stroll down the streets on the southside of chicago. Not doing so doesnt make me a racist, it just means i dont feel like being shot for being white that night. Im not saying there is a 100% chance its gonna happen, but i dont gamble with what im not ok with losing.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

Forgive my ignorance, but how is calling Cam "boy" racist? Isn't he just implying that he isn't a man and is acting like a child?

That's how I took it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
I don't need this additional data point to verify the existence of the double standard.

I didn't know that Bill Romanowski called him "boy" though. That's pretty racist. But it's also Bill Romanowski.

Another interesting question, if Cam was suspected of using HGH, would the media care?

I think they would.

Context matters.
I don't know Bill Romanowski to say that he's a racist.
But I've heard many athletes and people in the media say thats their boy when they are complimenting the skill sets of their favorite players.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE. Read, click bait, RACE RACE. Keep the distraction going America. While (bleep) in the background continues to jack you up.

The media in general is going too far pumping this divisive narrative throughout the public. The upcoming Jesse Owens biopic looks good, but... is really on the nose It's not wise to withdraw from current events that are relevant, but I'm still trying to limit my exposure to the media, particularly modern "entertainment," while they're fueling this campaign to make everyone hate each other.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: NY Daily News: The racial double standard between Cam and Manning on full display

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-super-bowl-50-highlights-racial-double-standard-nfl-article-1.2524445

Let the racial games begin!

Sure, you can find double standards in anything if you poke around for the right anecdotal evidence. Especially if you spin it for your narrative.This guy acts like no one criticized Peyton when he left the field when he was defeated when playing for the Colts.

Double standards are personal dynamic, so sure some people have double standards. The fallacy comes in when you attempt to extend those double standards held and expressed by individuals (even collections of individuals) to society as a whole.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

there will always be racism, just different level of it. now you can place a most liberal and tolerant person on the planet in a black neighborhood, he/she will not feel comfortable inside, difference is that person won't admit it.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but how is calling Cam "boy" racist? Isn't he just implying that he isn't a man and is acting like a child?

That's how I took it.

I actually didn't view it as a racial attack either. It is a term that can be used as a racial attack, but I felt Romo was attacking Cam's maturity right after he pouted and walked off the podium. Cam certainly looked like a huge child after he pouted and bailed from that presser.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: