Byron: A Brief History of How He Became a Laker and MAN UP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Byron: A Brief History of How He Became a Laker and MAN UP

I encourage everyone to read this great article on Byron. When you read it, you can see why Byron is the man he is today. He was pretty much hated by most of the Showtime guys as the one who was traded for Norm Nixon. Some nice quotes:

Quote:

Unaware of the chasm his arrival triggered, Byron entered a den of hostility as a group of pissed off players wanted nothing to do with him. But, Byron, growing up where he grew up, seeing what he seen, pressed up against the worst of times and the best of times, had been through enough things that being ignored and not spoken to and misjudged didn’t register. Every time he took the ball to the hole on a fast break lay-up, he was given a cheap shot to the ribs, but he was smart enough to realize he was a rookie. He didn’t complain about it. He was the outsider, the one who had broken up their perfect little family and so he had to be punished until they decided he was one of them.

Quote:

“I always thought of myself, Norm and Magic as the Three Musketeers and Byron broke that up so f–k him. We didn’t talk to him, we hit him, we did everything to f–k him up. I saw Byron play a little bit in college but he wasn’t so impressive to me. So, when he came, he had to pay his dues. He took it all like a man.” (Michael Cooper).

Quote:
Scott never moaned and whined, or worse, he never tried to make Johnson or Cooper like him. He wasn’t a chameleon, adapting himself to the environment and trying to please someone else. He wasn’t weak. One time, Scott offered Kareem Abdul-Jabaar a cup of water after a scrimmage and Abdul-Jabaar turned his back; that didn’t phase Scott either. This was not his doing, he wasn’t the one who traded Nixon. Jerry West did. So, Scott was willing to wait it out.

So does everyone understand why he thinks DLO should man up? Scott was treated like (bleep) by guys like KAJ, Cooper, etc., yet he paid his "dues" and fell right in.

Now, that's one reason I loved Byron as a Showtime kid. But I absolutely do not think it's appropriate to unnecessarily treat DLO in a similar fashion today.

1. It's 2016.
2. Unlike the Showtime team of the past, DLO wasn't traded for a made-man like Nixon.
3. It's 2016.

But an interesting insight into Byron.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/03/12/rebuilding-the-lakers-byron-scott-was-the-teammate-no-one-wanted/
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

Sucks that he was treated that way, but this is as you said 2016. (bleep) like that doesn't work anymore and only causes unnecessary tension and trouble.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Sucks that he was treated that way, but this is as you said 2016. (bleep) like that doesn't work anymore and only causes unnecessary tension and trouble.

Yeah, but you get an understanding of his psyche. He was treated this way as a rookie, therefore, DLO shouldn't get anything on a silver platter.

Flawed but understandable.

I would say he's scarred a bit from that experience, though the Showtime guys eventually embraced him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

Can we get Norm Nixon back?
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks Coop.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

The things that endeared Scott to the legion of Showtime fans is the exact basis for his vilification. He feels compelled to give DLO some kind of (bleep) treatment. Feels the kid shouldn't have it easy.

I get that sentiment but there are better ways to help him understand that important lesson.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

Hand down, man up.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

A friend and I were just talking about this over the weekend. Good stuff. Nevertheless, Byron has said himself, he is who he is, and he's not going to change. So, if he's unwilling to change for the Lakers and continue his piss poor coaching job, he needs to go.

What's so sad is if Byron had relented and brought some quality X's and O's guy as assistants and been more complimentary of the young guys instead of his barrage of personal attacks and negative rhetoric about their behavior off the court and their play on the court instead of keeping it private, he'd be good. Instead, he has been the brunt of so much ridicule, criticism, and disdain from the fan base that has become so sad to see for me knowing what he meant to this franchise in the past; a key member of the 80's championship teams.

Oh, well. Bring on Luke.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

This new generation won't get any of this stuff that Byron is teaching.
Dr Randle
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

Byron is probably one of those old timers that still hits his kids and whips them with a leather belt and thinks it's still okay in 2016.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

In 2016, that's bullying. Different times.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

I think there are ways to instill toughness in DLO in a different way than he's doing it.

I have no problem with the concept, or the intent, it's the execution I have a problem with.

It's weird because Byron does things to put him down (like say he's not old enough for what he says to mean anything) but then he does things that shelters him too much (keeps him out of games).
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Can we get Norm Nixon back?

Ask him. He jogs almost every morning at Santa Monica College.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

Look, Byron seems like great guy. I get the sense a lot of the players, other players, coaches, etc., like him. And honestly, he'd make a great assistant coach. Championship experience, brings a sense of toughness, demands hard work, etc.

Problem is that as a head coach, there is far more to it than that. You have to understand people and leadership, X's and O's, be willing to adapt, think outside the box, be forward thinking, communicate well, create a vision, use all of your resources, build chemistry, allow people to be themselves. These are all the areas Byron severely lacks and unfortunately for him, these and the most important characteristics of a good coach.

Whatever the reason Byron acts the way he does, it's not good enough to compensate for all his flaws. At some point by now he should have looked int he mirror and realized he is the problem. He didn't do that. I think that's what these reports mean when they say Lakers are essentially trying him out. They want to see if he can adapt. Good news for us, he can't.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

Sad thing about him is he embraces working HARDER over working SMARTER.

The NBA has embraced the latter.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Byron: A Brief History of How He Became a Laker and MAN UP

yinoma2001 wrote:
I encourage everyone to read this great article on Byron. When you read it, you can see why Byron is the man he is today. He was pretty much hated by most of the Showtime guys as the one who was traded for Norm Nixon. Some nice quotes:

Quote:

Unaware of the chasm his arrival triggered, Byron entered a den of hostility as a group of pissed off players wanted nothing to do with him. But, Byron, growing up where he grew up, seeing what he seen, pressed up against the worst of times and the best of times, had been through enough things that being ignored and not spoken to and misjudged didn’t register. Every time he took the ball to the hole on a fast break lay-up, he was given a cheap shot to the ribs, but he was smart enough to realize he was a rookie. He didn’t complain about it. He was the outsider, the one who had broken up their perfect little family and so he had to be punished until they decided he was one of them.

Quote:

“I always thought of myself, Norm and Magic as the Three Musketeers and Byron broke that up so f–k him. We didn’t talk to him, we hit him, we did everything to f–k him up. I saw Byron play a little bit in college but he wasn’t so impressive to me. So, when he came, he had to pay his dues. He took it all like a man.” (Michael Cooper).

Quote:
Scott never moaned and whined, or worse, he never tried to make Johnson or Cooper like him. He wasn’t a chameleon, adapting himself to the environment and trying to please someone else. He wasn’t weak. One time, Scott offered Kareem Abdul-Jabaar a cup of water after a scrimmage and Abdul-Jabaar turned his back; that didn’t phase Scott either. This was not his doing, he wasn’t the one who traded Nixon. Jerry West did. So, Scott was willing to wait it out.

So does everyone understand why he thinks DLO should man up? Scott was treated like (bleep) by guys like KAJ, Cooper, etc., yet he paid his "dues" and fell right in.

Now, that's one reason I loved Byron as a Showtime kid. But I absolutely do not think it's appropriate to unnecessarily treat DLO in a similar fashion today.

1. It's 2016.
2. Unlike the Showtime team of the past, DLO wasn't traded for a made-man like Nixon.
3. It's 2016.

But an interesting insight into Byron.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/03/12/rebuilding-the-lakers-byron-scott-was-the-teammate-no-one-wanted/

In other words, this further cements that Byron has no clue of reference or perspective. He just thinks it's one-size-fits-all and that proves that he has not only no idea on how to adjust or adapt his approach but cannot see the need for it.

PS - GREAT find.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

Did he use the same tactics on Paul, and Irving? Or is DLo special cause he's a Laker
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
Did he use the same tactics on Paul, and Irving? Or is DLo special cause he's a Laker

You might be right about the Lakers angle. According to Scott, the Lakers job was a dream job. So to him, if DLO is the future, he needs to go through the ringer like he did.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

If you really feel compelled to haze your players, do it behind closed doors. There's no benefit on any front to damage their reputation in the press (other than to shift personal blame).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

We're on the 21st century, for Christ's sake.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

It's clear there's a part of him that resented his rookie year treatment. Some sort of insecurity that has haunted him since.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
This new generation won't get any of this stuff that Byron is teaching.

I don't know.. Im a millennial and my rents raised me old school. maybe we as laker fans are reading way too much into Byron coaching... I need to see the body language and attitude between Byron and Dlo to make a full assessment
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The things that endeared Scott to the legion of Showtime fans is the exact basis for his vilification. He feels compelled to give DLO some kind of (bleep) treatment. Feels the kid shouldn't have it easy.

I get that sentiment but there are better ways to help him understand that important lesson.

Unfortunately, many of his qualities as a player that made him beloved from the fans is the reason why he is a terrible coach. I was a big fan of him as a player, but as a coach he is frankly terrible. His track record speaks for itself. Unfortunately, I think that his first head coaching job laid the groundwork for him to coming to LA since he was able to get them to the Finals. I remember all the praise from the Lakers management and players about what a great job he with did that team.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely. Which is why I'm skeptical that he'd be a good head coach even if he had an X's and O's guy and didn't shoot himself in the foot every time he gave an interview.

Dude's a dinosaur. Out with the old, in with the new please.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely. Which is why I'm skeptical that he'd be a good head coach even if he had an X's and O's guy and didn't shoot himself in the foot every time he gave an interview.

Dude's a dinosaur. Out with the old, in with the new please.

Remember when he said he'd embrace analytics?

Well I'm sure there's a healthy stack of reports collecting dust in his house.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: