Einstein's Prediction of Gravitational Waves Proven After 100 Years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Einstein's Prediction of Gravitational Waves Proven After 100 Years

via NY Times

Quote:
When Einstein announced his theory in 1915, he rewrote the rules for space and time that had prevailed for more than 200 years, since the time of Newton, stipulating a static and fixed framework for the universe. Instead, Einstein said, matter and energy distort the geometry of the universe in the way a heavy sleeper causes a mattress to sag, producing the effect we call gravity.

A disturbance in the cosmos could cause space-time to stretch, collapse and even jiggle, like a mattress shaking when that sleeper rolls over, producing ripples of gravity: gravitational waves.

Einstein was not quite sure about these waves. In 1916, he told Karl Schwarzschild, the discoverer of black holes, that gravitational waves did not exist, then said they did. In 1936, he and his assistant Nathan Rosen set out to publish a paper debunking the idea before doing the same flip-flop again.

According to the equations physicists have settled on, gravitational waves would compress space in one direction and stretch it in another as they traveled outward.

After over 100 years, Einstein still taking us to school.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

One of the theories of how UFO's are propelled is by gravitational waves, so this was very interesting to me and our government!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Seeing a phenomenon is the first step to learning to control it. I'll be expecting my antigravity hover board this time next year.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Possibilities:

-Space travel at/beyond 'c'
-Time travel
-Anti-matter manipulation

Seeing as how the first wheel made possible the invention of the automobile 5.5 millennia later, I'd assume that's about as much time when we'll realize some of the aforementioned achievements (if humanity still exists by then).
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

It's so dang exciting to have a whole new toolset to describe the universe with gravitational waves. The degree of accuracy is hard to fathom. And we'll be able to have a new dimension forevermore to constuct our concepts of the universe with newer confidence from the theory being confirmed.

It's like those deaf babies who suddenly with new technology hear their first sounds. Their world understanding just got a new dimension.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
One of the theories of how UFO's are propelled is by gravitational waves, so this was very interesting to me and our government!

I have to say, you do have an intense passion for your UFO fantasy. I'll give you that.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke did you ever think you'd live to see this day?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject:

Two black holes colliding sounds like connecting to the web with dial-up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Definitely could revolutionize the way we travel. Chemical propulsion has short range and generally isn't a very efficient way to move people.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Definitely could revolutionize the way we travel
. Chemical propulsion has short range and generally isn't a very efficient way to move people.

How does this discovery change how we travel?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure how this is supposed to change the way we travel either. Though enough people are saying it, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

We are a long long long long way of even slightly understanding how to artificially manipulate those waves, let along generate them from scratch.

I mainly see the discovery as potential for discovering things in the universe beyond our current scope. We will be able to detect every ripple in space/time and be able to detect things happening way beyond the range of our telescopes.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Two black holes colliding sounds like connecting to the web with dial-up.

The sound was generated by LIGO. The way I understand it, the gravitational wave interrupts the frequency of the two laser beams traveling the same distance and the difference in frequency generates the 'chirp' when otherwise there would be no sound when the frequencies cancel each other out (no interference).

Seeing as how the event occurred more than a billion years ago billions of light years away, the resulting ripple in space-time that reached our planet would be minuscule and it took us over 17 years to create an instrument sensitive enough to pick up on it. A monumental chapter for astrophysics in understanding our cosmos.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Confirming that they travel at C is awesome, if not disappointing.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

. Chemical propulsion has short range and generally isn't a very efficient way to move people.

Whoa, are you a knob? Grab your stick and surf a gravity wave, dude!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jodeke did you ever think you'd live to see this day?

Yes. I worked with Albert developing the theory.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I have to say, you do have an intense passion for your UFO fantasy. I'll give you that.

LOL, thanks, this "passion" you speak of comes from "knowledge" and "knowledge" comes from "research", so it is easy for "unknowledgeable" people to refer to the phenomenon as"fantasy"...

The FACT is that there have been over 100,000 UFO reports in the last 75 years, from around the world.

Now, I realize that is NOT evidence, but if this is all a result of people fabricating stories, then there needs to be a psychological study to better understand the human psyche...

So go ahead and poke fun of people who believe this phenomenon to be real, because they know your beliefs are based on ignorance, much like the early Christians were persecuted by the non-believers...

Ending with an X-Files quote: the truth is out there...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Fist off, seeing or being able to measure a couple gravitational waves, is a long way from harnessing its power in the form of space ships, but consider that there are theories out there about "bending" time in order travel much much faster than the speed of light (do some searches if you want)...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
focus wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

First off, seeing or being able to measure a couple gravitational waves, is a long way from harnessing this power to propel space ships, but consider that there are theories out there about "bending" time in order travel much much faster than the speed of light (do some searches if you want)... and this might be a key to doing that!

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

LOL, thanks, this "passion" you speak of comes from "knowledge" and "knowledge" comes from "research", so it is easy for "unknowledgeable" people to refer to the phenomenon as"fantasy"...

The FACT is that there have been over 100,000 UFO reports in the last 75 years, from around the world.

Now, I realize that is NOT evidence, but if this is all a result of people fabricating stories, then there needs to be a psychological study to better understand the human psyche...

So go ahead and poke fun of people who believe this phenomenon to be real, because they know your beliefs are based on ignorance, much like the early Christians were persecuted by the non-believers...

I'll also add that if there was a another alien race that was advanced enough to build and create space ships that can travel across galaxies, there is no way they will want to be discovered, especially by the human race which is still very much in its infancy and still has beliefs where they are the center of the universe....
If there was interaction with another race it will definitely be a huge shock to people's lives. The world as taught by their ancestors and religion would be turned upside down.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I greatly urge you to read the book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Let's not be hasty here. I'm not knocking you in the least bit. I would never do that. My grandpa had a similar "report" in the 1950's with a UFO over the Big Bear dam. But with his story and what you say as not being evidence, it really is just a UFO. That doesn't mean little green men. It just means unidentified. The "ignorance" accusation can be thrown both ways. Only some people don't believe in that stuff without evidence, and some people do believe in that stuff without evidence.

"The truth is out there" doesn't mean non-believers are idiots. Or that the little green men are real. It could just mean this is a paranoia in the human psyche that might potentially never be solved because there will never be evidence. Calling people ignorant without truth is ignorant in itself. Otherwise it would just be a fact.

Let's retract the claws a little.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

You ignore evidence in favor of belief as if it were a virtue and react with indignance to those that don't follow.
Insanity.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject:

Most ufos are just unrecognized planes or really big birds
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

You ignore evidence in favor of belief as if it were a virtue and react with indignance to those that don't follow.
Insanity.

And that would be fine. But to insult people who are more logical is just flat out mean.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject:

there's probably like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 habitable planets out there in the universe so, chances are we're not alone..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: