The best teams know when to fold 'em.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject:

evetssteve10 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Well, I wasn't wild for the steps taken in the past six off seasons. Early on, the moves were made to optimize the few chances at championship pushes using Kobe as the main horse (two years, maybe three), but the moves were bad steps. The last couple were just to try to re-accumulate talent without realistic championship dreams.

Few good P/P decision were made IMO, starting with the choice to make a weak offer to Ariza and snap up Artest. The old legs downturn quickly caught up to us. The risks were poorly judged. However, I think most Lakers fans (not me) felt at the time that the club simply had to do anything possible to squeeze out another title for Kobe. Maybe one time in ten those types of desperate moves to ride an old horse to victory work, but the damn, the costs were painful. Still are.

Just so you know we don't have that last ring, or at the very least - considerably less chance at it, without Artest. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat because that championship is priceless.

Actually we don't know that, it is just an opinion.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
And the reason Kobe never left was because he exercised his no trade clause. The idea that the FO can engineer a trade that Kobe will love and that will help them compete is pure fantasy. I don't deal in fantasy.

And profits? No response to that? Easy to talk tough when you are playing with someone else's money.

So far we noticed Wishes & Fantasies in this thread.
We're not far from Dreams.

I am probably giving this more thought than I should, but I cannot think of a team that could give up $30 mil in salary that includes quality players and picks (to satisfy the Lakers) and still have enough talent to convince Kobe to go there.

If it's more bother than it's worth, why respond at all?

If what I've posted is so absurd, you and everyone else can always just ignore it. And I won't lose a second of sleep if I don't see your responses. I had my say.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

ElginWorthy wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Kobe wasn't just any star, he was a star among stars. A superstar and a living legend. A transcendent, once in a generation player who brought 5 championships. Fans are willing to stick it out through the bad times for a legend.

I don't view him that way. He was excellent, yes. But I don't even see him as the greatest Laker. I think Wilt, Magic and Kareem were better, and depending on the day, Baylor and West.

In fact, I think your description of the way some fans feel is exactly what prevented the Lakers from making the trade when they should have. Fear of a backlash from fans with a severe attachment disorder.

He also didn't bring LA five championships. He was a player, a very important player, on a team that won those championships. It's a team sport. No one player "wins championships."

All those players you mentioned are from different generations. Kobe was the best player of his generation along with Duncan. Besides, No Trade Clause so your entire argument/thread is moot.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Well, I wasn't wild for the steps taken in the past six off seasons. Early on, the moves were made to optimize the few chances at championship pushes using Kobe as the main horse (two years, maybe three), but the moves were bad steps. The last couple were just to try to re-accumulate talent without realistic championship dreams.

Few good P/P decision were made IMO, starting with the choice to make a weak offer to Ariza and snap up Artest. The old legs downturn quickly caught up to us. The risks were poorly judged. However, I think most Lakers fans (not me) felt at the time that the club simply had to do anything possible to squeeze out another title for Kobe. Maybe one time in ten those types of desperate moves to ride an old horse to victory work, but the damn, the costs were painful. Still are.

Just so you know we don't have that last ring, or at the very least - considerably less chance at it, without Artest. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat because that championship is priceless.

Yes, and it's one option I don't have in common that user. I think the playoff series would have gone better with Ariza than it did, and that subsequent years we'd have a healthier, younger, more productive player than we did as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

Plus we could have added another player with the MLE. At the time my choice was Jarrett Jack. So would Jack and Ariza > Artest?
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

While I agree with the OP's post mostly, I don't know what the FO could've done besides what they did.

They gave Kobe a lifetime achievement contract. It was outrageous. I had to do a double take when I first saw the BREAKING NEWS. But in case anyone hadn't noticed, the Lakers are pure garbage and continue to sell out arenas. So Kobe is absolutely worth every penny to his bosses, which is all that matters in their eyes.
If Kobe signed a 2yr $20mil extension instead of $48.5, I don't know who everyone thinks we would've paired him with to turn this thing around...

IMO it is what it is and it's almost over. I have the upmost respect for Kobe as a player, he's done so much for the team but I am also so ready for it to all be over.

If he's gone and Mitch and Jim STILL don't close the deal on some FAs this summer, Then there's problems. But as far as "moving on" or trading the dude when he's declining? Cmon. Kobe is a money maker for the Buss kids, we know that wouldn't happen
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Kobe wasn't just any star, he was a star among stars. A superstar and a living legend. A transcendent, once in a generation player who brought 5 championships. Fans are willing to stick it out through the bad times for a legend.

I don't view him that way. He was excellent, yes. But I don't even see him as the greatest Laker. I think Wilt, Magic and Kareem were better, and depending on the day, Baylor and West.

In fact, I think your description of the way some fans feel is exactly what prevented the Lakers from making the trade when they should have. Fear of a backlash from fans with a severe attachment disorder.

He also didn't bring LA five championships. He was a player, a very important player, on a team that won those championships. It's a team sport. No one player "wins championships."

All those players you mentioned are from different generations. Kobe was the best player of his generation along with Duncan. Besides, No Trade Clause so your entire argument/thread is moot.

As mentioned several times now, a "no trade clause" doesn't mean no trades. It means no trades without Kobe's permission. Given the fact that he talked openly of going to other teams, seeking championships elsewhere, it's not a stretch at all to think the Lakers could have worked something out.

I think some fans forget that Kobe hasn't always been happy being a Laker. He hasn't been shy about telling people this, in public. We also don't know what he's said or done behind closed doors. We don't know if he tried on his own to get out of LA at various times along the way.

To me, sports fans are all too often guilty of romanticizing their favorite players -- and virtually believing they're perfection itself. Kobe, more than most.

He's not a god. He's not a saint. He's human, like the rest of us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Since Kobe's decline began when he tore his Achilles, I really question his value on the open market at that time.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Well this thread has just made me dumber.

Quite possibly the biggest Kobe hater of all time and you just keep trying to defend it. Give it a rest.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Well this thread has just made me dumber.

Quite possibly the biggest Kobe hater of all time and you just keep trying to defend it. Give it a rest.

Spoken like someone with a severe attachment disorder. Seek help.

I don't "hate" Kobe. I don't know him at all on a personal level, which is generally required when someone hates someone else. Well, either that or knowledge of that person's heinous crimes, etc.

As far as I know, Kobe hasn't done the latter.

And you don't know him enough to have that attachment disorder. Again, seek help.

My only knowledge of Kobe relates to basketball. And I'm very happy the Lakers drafted him, and he's been an excellent player for them for a long time. One of the best in NBA history. But he's not perfect. No one is. And he's not above the team.

If the Lakers could get better as a team by trading him or anyone else, I'm for it.

That's not "hate." That's called being a Lakers' fan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

You keep adding words to what I've said. I didn't say "constantly successful." I said it was the smartest blueprint for continued success.

Will try to find some links for teams that have been successful over time with this strategy and post them later.

You don't need links. You just need to tell us who these teams are.

Because surely if you started a thread based on a sweeping generalization ("The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks") you actually had some teams in mind that supported your little theory, right?

Yes, I need links because the NBA has a long history to deal with, and I'm not a basketball historian. I'm a fan. And you don't get to tell me what I "need" to do. You're just some anonymous person on the Internet, and I don't "need" to prove anything to you.

Don't like my assertions? Gotta problem with them? I couldn't begin to care less.

Translation: I made a point that was important enough to me to start a thread over, and I can't even give you an example of it being true. Because my point wasn't based on reviewing the evidence, it was just something that occurred to me, and therefore must be true.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Well this was enlightening.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

This is absurd. You don't trade a franchise player if they don't want it. You just don't. That's a good way to piss over your reputation as the greatest franchise in the league (or accelerate that process, I guess).

And good luck convincing the next superstar FA to join and put you over the top as a contender if your franchise is known to trade superstars as they start to trend downwards.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It's not an opinion that we won the championship that year and it's not an opinion that Artest came up huge on a couple occasions in those playoffs. What would be an opinion is saying that Ariza would have accomplished the same and that we would have won that year with him instead of Artest so I'm not sure where you are coming from
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

He deserves a farewell tour. Giving that extension however is just idiotic.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

You keep adding words to what I've said. I didn't say "constantly successful." I said it was the smartest blueprint for continued success.

Will try to find some links for teams that have been successful over time with this strategy and post them later.

Because surely if you started a thread based on a sweeping generalization ("The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks") you actually had some teams in mind that supported your little theory, right?

Yes, I need links because the NBA has a long history to deal with, and I'm not a basketball historian. I'm a fan. And you don't get to tell me what I "need" to do. You're just some anonymous person on the Internet, and I don't "need" to prove anything to you.

Don't like my assertions? Gotta problem with them? I couldn't begin to care less.

Translation: I made a point that was important enough to me to start a thread over, and I can't even give you an example of it being true. Because my point wasn't based on reviewing the evidence, it was just something that occurred to me, and therefore must be true.

You think I consider this "important," or that that's a necessity before starting a thread? We're talking about basketball, not world hunger, homelessness, poverty, inequality, wars or climate change. This is freakin basketball, man.

I think you take this all much too seriously, along with all too many posters on this forum.

I posted my opinion. This isn't a trial. I don't owe anyone "evidence" before stating that opinion. And you as a mod should know that. But if you do think it's a requirement, go ahead and delete my account.

I won't miss it one bit.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
While I agree with the OP's post mostly, I don't know what the FO could've done besides what they did.

They gave Kobe a lifetime achievement contract. It was outrageous. I had to do a double take when I first saw the <b>BREAKING NEWS</b>. But in case anyone hadn't noticed, the Lakers are pure garbage and continue to sell out arenas. So Kobe is absolutely worth every penny to his bosses, which is all that matters in their eyes.
If Kobe signed a 2yr $20mil extension instead of $48.5, I don't know who everyone thinks we would've paired him with to turn this thing around...

IMO it is what it is and it's almost over. I have the upmost respect for Kobe as a player, he's done so much for the team but I am also so ready for it to all be over.

If he's gone and Mitch and Jim STILL don't close the deal on some FAs this summer, Then there's problems. But as far as "moving on" or trading the dude when he's declining? Cmon. Kobe is a money maker for the Buss kids, we know that wouldn't happen

He is also still the most exciting player on the team as well. And has been our best player for the last couple months. What hurt Kobes year so badly was the first month or two of the season because all that time off and everything else just made him rusty as hell and not in game shape. So other than last year when an unfortunate injury took him out early - id say from just looking at it from a team talent standpoint you could certainly argue that Kobe is still our best player and therefore would be the one person who should make the most ( Is it true you have to have one max player on the team? or am I misremembering some other rule? and if so just completely ignore previous sentence ).

By Kobes standards he's not the same player - he was the best player in the game for a decade or more, so yea he's absolutely not that guy anymore. But I would say that for the most part, especially after the first couple months that the fans are getting their money's worth attending the games and for tuning in on TV because he is by far our most exciting player and for a few bursts and glimpses through out the game he is spectacular and mesmerizing. So no I don't think he necessarily deserves all the money from a total impact player especially compared to much younger high paid players, he deserves maybe 10 million less based strictly on
His game but that 10 million would not be helping the team at all right now...
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:
24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

You think I consider this "important," or that that's a necessity before starting a thread? We're talking about basketball, not world hunger, homelessness, poverty, inequality, wars or climate change. This is freakin basketball, man.

I think you take this all much too seriously, along with all too many posters on this forum.

I posted my opinion. This isn't a trial. I don't owe anyone "evidence" before stating that opinion. And you as a mod should know that. But if you do think it's a requirement, go ahead and delete my account.

I won't miss it one bit.

I think all anyone is saying is you seemed reallllllly emphatic and sure about your opinion yet based it on nothing and can't even form into words why you think this is the case or providing anything to relate it to ( like another team ) as an alternative to base as a counterpoint to show how it's supposed to be done VS how we did things. Nor did you provide any evidence to support your opinion therefore people take that as " this is my opinion. Yet I have no idea why" And just like you have the right to post whatever you want so does anyone else if they want to call out your opinion that you made on a discussion forum, I mean what did you expect?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Lakers do know when to fold em' see SHAQ!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:
24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

I won't miss it one bit.

Gee, and you should know if you post an opinion, you're inviting people to discuss it with you and even ask you to back up your claim. But you want to be sensitive and dismissive when they do, lecture everyone about how it's not important while you keep engaging, and then play the preemptive victim card. Lighten up Francis. And maybe have a bit more of an idea about how to defend an opinion before posting it.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

We want links!
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject:

what is even happening right now...im too confused to know if its really LIT or not
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
24 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

I won't miss it one bit.

Gee, and you should know if you post an opinion, you're inviting people to discuss it with you and even ask you to back up your claim. But you want to be sensitive and dismissive when they do, lecture everyone about how it's not important while you keep engaging, and then play the preemptive victim card. Lighten up Francis. And maybe have a bit more of an idea about how to defend an opinion before posting it.

How about you save the lecture, especially coming from your glass house, and tell me how I can delete my account. Lighten up, Francis? I think you need that advice much more than I do.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

evetssteve10 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It's not an opinion that we won the championship that year and it's not an opinion that Artest came up huge on a couple occasions in those playoffs. What would be an opinion is saying that Ariza would have accomplished the same and that we would have won that year with him instead of Artest so I'm not sure where you are coming from

No, the opinion was saying that we don't have that last championship if we didn't have Artest. I am also one that would never give back a title, but I thought at the time and still do that the FO could have made better moves. But I gladly celebrate that title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: