Chris Bosh Suffering From Another Blood-Clot Scare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Perhaps his condition wasn't quite as serious, but the other night Stamkos participated in a game 7 playoff game in the Tampa/Pitts series. I probably wouldn't play, but it's a personal choice. Doctors must have felt comfortable enough in his recovery.

It was a one-time incident which often doesn't require life-long blood thinners. It's the same reason Bosh was cleared to play after the first incident. The second incident is a game changer.

I was thinking if he's on blood thinners and takes a puck to the forehead, starts bleeding profusely. Not everyone wears those face shields.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/16/pat-riley-unsure-if-chris-bosh-will-play-next-season-could-return-with-travelworkload-restrictions/

Quote:
Pat Riley unsure if Chris Bosh will play next season, could return with travel/workload restrictions

Chris Bosh wants to play basketball again.

The Miami Heat need to be convinced by doctors that the potentially life-threatening blood clot issue that has sidelined him part of the past two seasons is under control. If he does return, will he be with the team full-time or be limited by restrictions?

Nobody is sure how this is going to play out.

That includes Heat decision maker Pat Riley, who spoke to the media Saturday. Here are his quotes on Bosh, via Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.

“It’s always fluid and it always has been. It’s a positive environment right now with Chris and his doctors. I know he wants to play and we would be open to that. Let’s allow this process to move down the road and we’ll go from there.”

Riley admitted Bosh could return but with travel and other restrictions, as reported by Jason Lieser of the Palm Beach Post.

Furthermore, Bosh might not be suited for the rigors of the NBA schedule. There is a possibility that the Heat will leave him home on some road trips — long flights are problematic — and put restrictions on his overall workload.

“I think all those things will come into play and there’ll be a discussion,” Riley said. “There are many players in different sports that do play with that condition, and they’re on-and-off programs with blood thinners and stuff. But I think when it comes down to a final protocol, or a formula for how this has to be done, then that’s what we’ll deal with.”

On the court it’s not that complicated — Miami is a much better team if Bosh plays. The highly skilled big can play the four or the five, and he averaged 20 points and 7.2 rebounds a game when he has played the past two seasons

Off the court is where it gets sticky. Does Bosh need to remain on blood thinners full-time, or can there be an on/off regimen? Can he play while taking them? What are the risks of him playing? If different doctors view things differently, who does the team believe? What are the long-term health risks? Even if he says he’s willing to take on those risks, could the Heat be held legally liable?

There are not simple answers, or we’d have them.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't even get why he's considering coming back at all. He's made $166+ million to date in his career--and I'm pretty sure if he's forced to retire due to a medical condition, he gets the remainder of his contract (like $80 million), while the Heat can apply for the salary cap waiver. He's won two championships and a gold medal, made all-star teams--what more can he accomplish really? He's not going to be an MVP, the Heat are going to compete realistically any time soon, and I don't believe he is anywhere near breaking any sort of significant NBA records. The best case scenario is he can play for an ok team under lots of medical supervision, missing lots of games. The worst case is he dies on the court. Even Kobe wouldn't have played until he died on the court--so there is just no sense in the guy ever suiting up again. Enjoy your life, your family and all the money you earned. If he wants to stay active in basketball, I'm sure he can get a coaching, front office or broadcast gig. His career isn't going to get some sort of asterisk because he didn't try to play through a life threatening medical condition. Just call it quits man, you had a great run....
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Looks like Chris is still hoping to make a comeback

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/08/30/morning-shootaround-aug-30-2/

I dunno...I hope he can if that's what he wants, but I know when I was on thinners I brushed my teeth too aggressively once and getting my gums to stop bleeding (and I mean it really bled) was for real. I don't know about playing pro bball with a bunch of large grown men in that state...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/23/chris-bosh-tnt-analyst-miami-heat-tv-studio-injury-blood-clot/

Quote:
Miami Heat F Chris Bosh to join TNT as TV analyst

Chris Bosh will be a part of a new lineup featuring former NBA players on TNT in the coming weeks. The decision was announced on Thursday via Twitter and courtesy of NBA.com.

Bosh, 32, has been held out all season for the Miami Heat due to complications of a blood clot. The Heat want to make sure he is not only safe and healthy, but that they can shed his contract hit from their salary cap figure and ensure Bosh won’t be able to play in the postseason for another team.

Via NBA.com:

TNT’s ‘Players Only’ franchise will include appearances by 11-time NBA All-Star Chris Bosh as part of its studio coverage when the series debuts Monday, Feb. 27, at 7 p.m. ET. Bosh, an 11-time NBA All-Star and two-time NBA Champion with the Miami Heat, will contribute to ‘Players Only’ during its five consecutive weeks of Monday night doubleheader action on TNT. Bosh will appear alongside Chris Webber, Isiah Thomas and Baron Davis to provide studio commentary for ‘Players Only’ from Turner Studios in Atlanta.

The Heat were able to ask for relief from Bosh’s salary cap figure starting in February, but expect Miami to release Bosh after March 1. That is the date after which no player released can play in the playoffs. It would also make sure Bosh would not play enough games with another team to put any of his salary back on the Heat’s cap.

Meanwhile, it should be fun to see Bosh — one of the league’s most intelligent and TV-ready personalities — as a commentator on TNT.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/04/chris-bosh-miami-heat-formally-part-ways-team-to-retire-his-number/

Quote:
Chris Bosh, Miami Heat formally part ways; team to retire his number

Chris Bosh‘s time with the Miami Heat is officially over.

Weeks after the sides came to a final agreement on how to part ways and more than a year since his last NBA appearance because of blood-clot issues, Bosh was waived by the Heat on Tuesday.

The move was a formality.

It gives Miami access to $25.3 million in salary-cap space for this coming season, which the Heat will use to sign free agents starting Thursday. Bosh still gets that salary, plus $26.8 million for next season, and in theory could continue his career – if another team declares him fit to play.

It’s unknown if that will happen.

But at least there’s finally closure on his Miami era, and the Heat announced his No. 1 jersey has been retired.

“Chris changed his life and basketball career when he came to Miami,” Heat President Pat Riley said. “And he changed our lives for the better, in a way we never would have imagined when he joined the Miami Heat. We will forever be indebted to CB for how he changed this team and led us to four trips to the NBA Finals and two NBA championships.

“He is, without a doubt, one of the greatest players in the history of the franchise.”

Bosh signed a five-year deal to stay with the Heat in 2014, shortly after LeBron James left Miami for a return to Cleveland. James, Bosh and Dwyane Wade went to the NBA Finals in all four of their seasons together in Miami, winning titles in 2012 and 2013.

Bosh’s last Miami deal was worth $118 million. For that, he was only able to play in 97 games.

“You always want what’s best for Chris, whatever that is,” Heat captain Udonis Haslem said earlier this year. “I know how difficult this has been for him.”

Bosh appeared in 44 games in 2014-15, his season ending at the All-Star break when the first known clot episode started. A year later, he played in 53 games and – in an eerie similarity – his season again ended at All-Star weekend, when another clot was found shortly after he landed in Toronto for the 2016 All-Star Game.

Bosh hasn’t played since, missing Miami’s last 125 games.

“I’m kind of getting the taste of retirement now,” Bosh said in January.

He wanted to return last season, but failed a preseason physical and the Heat made clear that they were moving on without him in their plans. Because of the sensitivity of Bosh’s medical situation, the Heat never could provide specifics – under league rule, any matter that would rise to the level of being possibly life-threatening cannot be discussed openly by teams without the player’s consent.

Even the team’s release on Tuesday announcing the waiving made no reference to Bosh’s health issues, or status.

Bosh has played in 13 NBA seasons, seven with Toronto and then six with Miami. He was part of Miami’s massive free-agent haul in 2010, where the Heat not only kept Wade but landed James to form something that team president Pat Riley felt could turn into something dynastic.

Bosh had a huge role in perhaps the biggest play in team history – with Miami down by three late in a win-or-else Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals against San Antonio, he grabbed an offensive rebound and tossed the ball to Ray Allen to set up a corner 3-pointer that tied the game with 5.2 seconds left.

The Heat would win that game in overtime, with Bosh blocking a shot by Danny Green as time expired, and then would prevail in Game 7 for the third title in franchise history.

Bosh, a certain future member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, has averaged 19.2 points and 8.5 rebounds in his career.

“We can’t wait to someday hang his jersey in the rafters,” Riley said. “Today, we are both moving on but we wish Chris, Adrienne and their family nothing but the best. They will forever be part of the Miami Heat family.”
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

He got to be a part of one of the baddest teams in NBA history. The two championships, the 27 game win streak, the pass to Ray Allen for the win. Hall of Fame for sure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Bosh was a great player with an amazing sense of humor. He is one of those guys that you love no matter where they play.
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bosh was a great player with an amazing sense of humor. He is one of those guys that you love no matter where they play.

I never understood what there is to like about Bosh. Especially after his Toronto leave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/chris-bosh-admits-playing-people-emotions-signing-miami-heat-free-agency-article-1.204342

I mean, who does that? Except a complete @$$hole
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

idrinkhaterade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I never understood what there is to like about Bosh. Especially after his Toronto leave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/chris-bosh-admits-playing-people-emotions-signing-miami-heat-free-agency-article-1.204342

Bosh, at his best, really didn't have any weaknesses. He could post up, has an excellent mid-range game, and three-point range. Good defender, mediocre rebounder. He's good enough to be the top player on a bad team, but he can fit into most team concepts and perform at a high level.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

I wish him the very best, but any team that signs him is stupid. Period.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

idrinkhaterade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The issue was (GASP) the "GOAT" making Bosh WORSE after he went to the Heat. When you are a #3 option for a Lebron lead team, you need to start shooting more outside shots and 3s. Bosh and Love were not used in the proper way because the Lebron "spread them out" offense, doesn't suit players like that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
idrinkhaterade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The issue was (GASP) the "GOAT" making Bosh WORSE after he went to the Heat. When you are a #3 option for a Lebron lead team, you need to start shooting more outside shots and 3s. Bosh and Love were not used in the proper way because the Lebron "spread them out" offense, doesn't suit players like that.

I don't think Bosh got worse in Miami. He simply had a different role being the #3 guy on a good team compared to being the #1 guy on a crappy team. He still made all-star teams, and won rings instead of starting his vacation at the end of the regular season as he did in Toronto.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I wish him the very best, but any team that signs him is stupid. Period.

I sure wouldn't want to be the doctor who signed off on allowing him to play.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
idrinkhaterade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Bosh, at his best, really didn't have any weaknesses. He could post up, has an excellent mid-range game, and three-point range. Good defender, mediocre rebounder. He's good enough to be the top player on a bad team, but he can fit into most team concepts and perform at a high level.

In a lot of ways he was just like prime Pau. Good enough to be a 1st option on a bad team, #2 or #3 on a good one. Could fit in to any team concept.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
idrinkhaterade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

In a lot of ways he was just like prime Pau. Good enough to be a 1st option on a bad team, #2 or #3 on a good one. Could fit in to any team concept.

They are a good comparison, but I'd put Gasol ahead of Bosh. Better passer, defender and post game.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

He's just being dumb right now. Stop being so selfish. Think of your family.

You made your money. You got your rings.

Freaking stupid guy.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/10/thank-you-chris-bosh-writes-an-open-letter-to-miami/

Quote:
‘Thank you’: Chris Bosh writes an open letter to Miami

MIAMI (AP) — Chris Bosh has written an open letter to Miami, thanking the city for supporting him for the past seven years.

Bosh published the letter on Sunday, without any mention of his current health or plans for his future. He was waived by the Heat last week, and hasn’t been able to play in an NBA game since February 2016.

Bosh’s career has been interrupted by blood clots; one shut him down at the All-Star break in the 2014-15 season, another shut him down at the All-Star break again a year later. He failed his preseason physical with the Heat last September and missed all of last season, and it is unclear if he will pursue a return to the court elsewhere.

Under league rules , he cannot play for the Heat again.

But in his letter, Bosh chose to reflect more on the good times he had since joining the Heat in 2010 and playing such a huge role in the team going to the NBA Finals in four consecutive seasons and winning two championships.

“I’ve been reflecting on my time in this great city and want to thank you for being a constant during a period of change in my life,” Bosh wrote. “I’ve experienced a few finals appearances, a couple of championships, several weddings (including my own), the birth of four kids, bonding with an entire community and a ton of ups and downs along the way.”

Bosh immersed himself in Miami’s rich Latino culture. He knew some Spanish when he joined the Heat, and he’s learned quite a bit more since, he said – noting that the language skills will be a tool he can use the rest of his life.

“Learning how to order a cafe con leche o ropa vieja on Calle Ocho has become natural to me,” Bosh wrote.

Bosh has played in 13 NBA seasons, seven with Toronto and then six with Miami. He was part of Miami’s massive free-agent haul in 2010, in which the Heat not only kept Dwyane Wade but landed LeBron James to form the core of a superteam. Bosh has averaged 19.2 points and 8.5 rebounds in his career, and the Heat announced they are retiring his No. 1 jersey.

Bosh did not mention blood clots in his letter, but discussed how his six-day hospital stay for the clot and other issues in 2015 still affects his overall perspective.

“And then came not being able to play the game I love, the game that I’ve spent a lifetime working to master and evolve with and find success in,” Bosh wrote. “I was very upset for a long time. They say you just have to play the cards that you’re dealt and that’s another lesson I truly understand now. Learning that information about my health during All-Star Weekend was extremely tough.”

Bosh returned to the game as an analyst for Turner Sports late last season, and there have been talks about him continuing to work in television. He will be paid the remaining $52.1 million from the last two years of his contract, but that money will no longer count against Miami’s salary-cap obligations – and that enabled the team to sign other players to free-agent deals last week.

Even though he has been deemed to have a career-ending condition , Bosh could play again if he chooses to and if a team gives him medical clearance. Getting such clearance would be, at best, daunting.

“I’ve learned how to dream again,” Bosh wrote. “I’ve learned how to appreciate the game of basketball and all the things I’ve experienced even more now. … We went through life together, Miami. You showed me how to stay strong and push through in the toughest moments. And although I didn’t like it at the time, it made all the difference in the long run. It made me a better man, the person I am today. Thank you.”

Link to actual letter

http://www.chrisbosh.com/a-letter-to-miami/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/12/report-chris-bosh-hasnt-ruled-out-nba-return/

Quote:
Report: Chris Bosh hasn’t ruled out NBA return

Chris Bosh and the Heat completed a drawn-out, sometimes-difficult parting in July. Bosh – who has not been cleared to play in more than a year due to being on blood thinners following multiple blood-clot episodes – was waived and became a free agent. Expected to remain on blood thinners, Bosh qualified for, essentially, medical retirement. He’ll still earn the $52,127,110 remaining on his contract, but his salary won’t count against Miami’s cap.

The end?

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:

Bosh is living in Southern California and associates say Bosh has by no means ruled out playing again despite his past battle with blood clots.

Bosh always appeared to have a hard time letting go of his playing career, and who could blame him? He spent countless hours making himself a professional basketball player, and that’s how he defined himself.

Why rule out returning?

Doctors might. The medical consensus is that he’ll need blood thinners for the rest of his life and it’s not safe for him to play on blood thinners.

But technology can improve. Perhaps, there’s a breakthrough in treating Bosh’s condition, though it’d have to come relatively quick for the 33-year-old.

If Bosh wants to cling to that hope, let him. I just hope he finds peace in the likely event he’s unable to play again
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: