Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I think if Ben were healthy the Steelers would've beaten them today.

The Chargers are a hard team to figure they lost to the Colts but beat Denver and Atlanta in back to back weeks.

Like us their fans aren't going to get rid of their coach at this rate either.

I really doubt it. Though New England beat the spread by winning by 11 points, the game was not as close as the score indicates. The Patriots were playing ultra-conservative football, just trying to kill the clock and not turn the ball over. If the league used a BCS-type formula where teams jockeyed for postseason position by blowing out opponents, Belichick would have taken off the brakes and poured it on.

That's not to say Pittsburgh didn't have its moments, as the Steelers showed once again that they have the best WRs in the league, and the very best WR in the league. They also have the best RB. The combo of the two actually makes Landry Jones look decent at t times. The problem with the Steelers isn't the QB position, it is their defense.

I didn't get that at all. The entire game was played close, and that was with Pittsburgh stalling multiple times in the red zone and missing field goals. In the 2nd half it looked for a moment that the Steelers had a good chance to win until Brown got injured.

I think they do win that game with Big Ben.

What your describing as a weakness is actually how a bend but do not break defense should work. The New England defense features dime and nickel sets with 2 men high, with the mix of DB predicated upon matchup. Did you notice something unusual about the NE defensive scheme? I did. They usually play man, and stick with man on about 80% of their snaps. When they played Pittsburgh, then went with zone on just about every play, which was both unusual and very telling, as they were daring Landry Jones to try hitting those seams. They also only sent a three man rush, with the LBs, CBs and SS playing low, again, something you would never do with Roethlisberger. The weren't going to give up the big play to Jones, the objective was to force Jones to try dinking and dunking his way to the red zone, preventing big scoring gains, and once in the red zone the defenses are compacted, which is why they had trouble scoring once they got to the red zone.

That's why a defensive scheme with Roethlisberger would look radically different than a defensive scheme with Landry Jones, and by extension, why New England would play more conservative on offense. That's why you can't just watch the game and say something like, "New England only won by 11 points, I bet Big Ben would have beaten them."

I didn't describe anything as a "weakness", only relayed exactly what happened.

Quote:
That's why you can't just watch the game and say something like, "New England only won by 11 points, I bet Big Ben would have beaten them."

Right...notice how I didn't mention the score.

Landry Jones is nowhere near the caliber player of Big Ben, yet the difference was a redzone interception and two missed field goals. If Big Ben played, I think the game would have been more of a shootout, but I think the Steelers would've come out on top.

OK, let me say this again, maybe you should read it slowly this time: The Patriots would not have used the same defensive scheme, and more likely used a more aggressive set of plays on offense as a game between New England and Pittsburgh probably would have been a close contest, particularly at Heinz Field. Notice how I didn't use a score? I was countering your red zone argument. Big Ben's advantage against the Patriots has historically been on longer passes, which isn't something important in the red zone. The game would not have remotely resembled what you saw on TV.

But if you wish to fixate on Big Ben, whatever floats your boat. Career head to head record, Brady versus Big Ben:

Big Ben 2 wins
Brady 5 wins
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

The Chargers are a hard team to figure they lost to the Colts but beat Denver and Atlanta in back to back weeks.

I really doubt it. Though New England beat the spread by winning by 11 points, the game was not as close as the score indicates. The Patriots were playing ultra-conservative football, just trying to kill the clock and not turn the ball over. If the league used a BCS-type formula where teams jockeyed for postseason position by blowing out opponents, Belichick would have taken off the brakes and poured it on.

That's not to say Pittsburgh didn't have its moments, as the Steelers showed once again that they have the best WRs in the league, and the very best WR in the league. They also have the best RB. The combo of the two actually makes Landry Jones look decent at t times. The problem with the Steelers isn't the QB position, it is their defense.

I didn't get that at all. The entire game was played close, and that was with Pittsburgh stalling multiple times in the red zone and missing field goals. In the 2nd half it looked for a moment that the Steelers had a good chance to win until Brown got injured.

What your describing as a weakness is actually how a bend but do not break defense should work. The New England defense features dime and nickel sets with 2 men high, with the mix of DB predicated upon matchup. Did you notice something unusual about the NE defensive scheme? I did. They usually play man, and stick with man on about 80% of their snaps. When they played Pittsburgh, then went with zone on just about every play, which was both unusual and very telling, as they were daring Landry Jones to try hitting those seams. They also only sent a three man rush, with the LBs, CBs and SS playing low, again, something you would never do with Roethlisberger. The weren't going to give up the big play to Jones, the objective was to force Jones to try dinking and dunking his way to the red zone, preventing big scoring gains, and once in the red zone the defenses are compacted, which is why they had trouble scoring once they got to the red zone.

That's why a defensive scheme with Roethlisberger would look radically different than a defensive scheme with Landry Jones, and by extension, why New England would play more conservative on offense. That's why you can't just watch the game and say something like, "New England only won by 11 points, I bet Big Ben would have beaten them."

Quote:
That's why you can't just watch the game and say something like, "New England only won by 11 points, I bet Big Ben would have beaten them."

Landry Jones is nowhere near the caliber player of Big Ben, yet the difference was a redzone interception and two missed field goals. If Big Ben played, I think the game would have been more of a shootout, but I think the Steelers would've come out on top.

OK, let me say this again, maybe you should read it slowly this time: The Patriots would not have used the same defensive scheme, and more likely used a more aggressive set of plays on offense as a game between New England and Pittsburgh probably would have been a close contest, particularly at Heinz Field. Notice how I didn't use a score? I was countering your red zone argument. Big Ben's advantage against the Patriots has historically been on longer passes, which isn't something important in the red zone. The game would not have remotely resembled what you saw on TV.

But if you wish to fixate on Big Ben, whatever floats your boat. Career head to head record, Brady versus Big Ben:

Big Ben 2 wins
Brady 5 wins

You should take your own advice. I am not basing my prediction off Sunday's game. It's like you're using canned responses and not paying any attention to what I'm saying.

Before the game, my opinion was that the Steelers would win if they were healthy.

After the game, my opinion is that the Steelers would have won if they were healthy.

What does that mean? It means I saw nothing during the game that moved me from that opinion. You're going into schemes and gameplans for no reason at all. My point was that the Steelers could have won that game without Big Ben if a few self inflicted mistakes didn't happen. Given that, and given that I already thought they would win if Big Ben played before the game, it should be understandable that I wouldn't suddenly think differently.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Big Ben 2 wins
Brady 5 wins

You should take your own advice. I am not basing my prediction off Sunday's game. It's like you're using canned responses and not paying any attention to what I'm saying.

Before the game, my opinion was that the Steelers would win if they were healthy.

After the game, my opinion is that the Steelers would have won if they were healthy.

What does that mean? It means I saw nothing during the game that moved me from that opinion. You're going into schemes and gameplans for no reason at all. My point was that the Steelers could have won that game without Big Ben if a few self inflicted mistakes didn't happen. Given that, and given that I already thought they would win if Big Ben played before the game, it should be understandable that I wouldn't suddenly think differently.

Right, just keep changing those goal posts. As always.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Denver took Texas to the wood shed. Oswelier had a terrible game. For a 6'7" QB he had a lot of passes batted at the line of scrimmage. Revenge is a dish best served cold. His 4 year, $72,000,000 contract looking to be more and more like Elway knew more than Monday morning QB's and GM's.

I think Elway gets a little too much credit for his GM moves.

Got rid of Tebow for Manning? Yeah it helped that Manning was actually available.

Didn't overpay Osweiler? He was planning on paying for Osweiler but Brock bailed for more $$$ Elway lucked out with that one.

He was considering trading for Kaepernick and Fitzpatrick at one point.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone noticed that Pittsburgh's run defense isn't good this season? And it's not like their pass D is good, either. At least in the past few years, you couldn't run on them, so they could play funnel defense, in a way.

If they don't get that fixed, their team is going to be in trouble as it relates to a playoff run, and I don't care how good their offense is.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget Brock isn't Tom Brady out there....he can't turn down 8 million over the life of the contract. That might be his 1st and last payday of his NFL career.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Yes his SB 50 ring was stolen(because these guys are clearly geniuses)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/25/demarcus-wares-home-is-burglarized-during-monday-night-football/

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware’s home is burglarized during Monday Night Football

Crooks with the brainpower of the Wet Bandits decided to burglarize the home of an NFL player while he was at a game.

“After a great win, came home to find my house was robbed,” Broncos linebacker DeMarcus Ware tweeted after Monday night’s 27-9 victory over the Texans. “Never about the material things for me but my safety. Thank God for hidden cameras.”

That’s right, Ware had hidden cameras in his house. Which, via the Denver Post, obtained clear images of the faces of the perps.

They were at least smart enough to wear blue gloves to conceal their fingerprints. They should have opted for masks, too.

Police said that “valuables” were taken from the home, but they did not specify what was stolen. Meanwhile, perhaps one of them will be selling a Broncos Super Bowl ring on eBay soon.

Through an account that creates no electronic paper trail. But with a picture of the ring that has his face reflected in it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Pittsburgh's run defense isn't good this season? And it's not like their pass D is good, either. At least in the past few years, you couldn't run on them, so they could play funnel defense, in a way.

If they don't get that fixed, their team is going to be in trouble as it relates to a playoff run, and I don't care how good their offense is.

It's what I mentioned in another part of this thread, when a poster mentioned that Pittsburgh was going to win the SB because Roethlisberger is the best QB. I didn't agree with the premise that Roethlisberger is the best QB (he's near elite), and I certainly don't believe that having the best QB guarantees a SB win. Aside from Big Ben's propensity to get injured (costing HFA), Pittsburgh's defense is flawed and unreliable, and it was only a matter of time before Miami exposed their run defense. NE did the same with a lesser RB.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Denver took Texas to the wood shed. Oswelier had a terrible game. For a 6'7" QB he had a lot of passes batted at the line of scrimmage. Revenge is a dish best served cold. His 4 year, $72,000,000 contract looking to be more and more like Elway knew more than Monday morning QB's and GM's.

I think Elway gets a little too much credit for his GM moves.

Got rid of Tebow for Manning? Yeah it helped that Manning was actually available.

Didn't overpay Osweiler? He was planning on paying for Osweiler but Brock bailed for more $$$ Elway lucked out with that one.

He was considering trading for Kaepernick and Fitzpatrick at one point.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

Paraphrasing a real estate mantra; Results, Results, Results.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Donks News:

Police arrested the perps who allegedly broke into Ware's home. Stolen property was recovered.

CJ Anderson has a bone bruise. He could be gone for a few weeks, perhaps even the entire season.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Donks News:

Police arrested the perps who allegedly broke into Ware's home. Stolen property was recovered.

CJ Anderson has a bone bruise. He could be gone for a few weeks, perhaps even the entire season.

CJA is headed to IR. RIP my fantasy season because someone in my league was holding booker all season.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Reason 50 billion trillion why the NFL are a-holes.

Can't they put the games consistently on a set of channels?

I tried looking for why the game wasn't on NBC,CBS, or Twitter this week, but behold this week Verizon and NFL network get it.

Fret not,

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2016-'Thursday-Night-Football'-Broadcast-Schedule-Announced.aspx,

will answer all your questions.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

I tried looking for why the game wasn't on NBC,CBS, or Twitter this week, but behold this week Verizon and NFL network get it.

Fret not,

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2016-'Thursday-Night-Football'-Broadcast-Schedule-Announced.aspx,

I feel the same way about League Pass and NBA TV. I pay for league pass, and I do not live in LA. However, I can only watch the Lakers if they are not on TNT, ESPN, NBA TV, or some (bleep) "local" channel that is not available over the air when they play the Suns.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/28/nfl-pits-eagles-cowboys-against-indians-cubs/

Quote:
NFL pits Eagles-Cowboys against Indians-Cubs

Before Thursday football became Thursday Night Football, one of the limited occasions for having two teams square off against each other on a short week came during the World Series, when the NFL avoided scheduling a game against the World Series, either due to courtesy or strategy.

That ended in 2010, when the NFL scheduled a Steelers-Saints game on the same night that Game Four of the Fall Classic was due to unfold. Back then, the NFL won in a showdown with the Rangers and the Giants, 11.8 vs. 10.4.

Six years later, with NFL prime-time ratings down sharply, a more-compelling-than-usual game between the Eagles and Cowboys will kick off roughly 15 minutes after the first pitch in Game Five of Indians-Cubs. Depending on what happens over the next two nights, Game Five could be the deciding game, and if the Cubs win the next two the prospect of the home team clinching in Chicago its first World Series in however-many-years it’s been will surely increase interest in the baseball game.

Regardless of the stakes, a loss by the NFL in the head-to-head contest will be pooh-poohed by Park Avenue because of the rare circumstances. Regardless of those rare circumstances, it will be interesting to see what one of the most compelling NFL regular-season games will do when pitted against a compelling offering from a sport the NFL has dominated in recents years.

With Thursday Night Football now a weekly phenomenon, the NFL is now locked in to playing a prime-time game against the World Series. Unless the NFL would start playing the game on a Tuesday night.

Which I suppose could then become the next portion of the pizza into which the league would be tempted to cram cheese on a regular basis.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/28/chiefs-rule-out-jamaal-charles-this-week/

Quote:
Chiefs rule out Jamaal Charles this week

The Chiefs had running back Jamaal Charles on the 46-man roster for last Sunday’s victory over the Saints, but he didn’t get much of a chance to break a sweat.

Charles carried the ball once for no gain after his swelling in his surgically repaired knee in the days leading up to the game and coach Andy Reid said after the game that the Chiefs are “trying to be as careful” as they can a year after Charles went down with a torn ACL. That carefulness will go even further this weekend.

Reid said Friday that Charles will not play against the Colts due to the ongoing knee issue.

Charles has played in the last three games and has been used sparingly with 12 carries and two catches behind Spencer Ware. Ware has been productive, so the Chiefs can afford to give Charles time to get healthy before using him again.

Given how things have gone thus far, expecting that to happen has to be less than a certainty so Ware may not be going anywhere for a long while.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

See its not just me

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/26/aaron-rodgers-denies-calling-brett-favre-grandpa-when-they-met/

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers denies calling Brett Favre “grandpa” when they met

I’ve been working my way through Jeff Pearlman’s excellent Brett Favre bio, hoping to experience it one page at a time without picking up any of the entertaining nuggets lurking in the latter pages. But I couldn’t avoid learning about one specific anecdote regarding the first time Favre met Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay’s first-round pick in 2005.

According to the book, Rodgers said this to Favre the first time they ever met: “Good morning, Grandpa.”

On Wednesday, Rodgers denied the claim.

“I’ll just say this: The first time I met Brett was on the practice field, and I could barely get a sentence out of, ‘Hello, my name is Aaron,'” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “Did I call him ‘Grandpa’ at any time during the three years together? Probably. But it’s in the same joking way that my man Brett Hundley called me ‘Grandpa’ three weeks ago on the field when we were doing a competitive drill.

“The story that was out there that I saw is completely 100 percent false, and I would dare anybody to test my memory on that. You guys know how my memory works. The end.”

It’s hardly the end, given some of the other stories told in Pearlman’s book. For example, Pearlman writes that, as a rookie, Rodgers bragged that he got a 35 on the Wonderlic test.

“Brett, what did you get?” Rodgers eventually asked Favre during a quarterbacks meeting.

“I have no idea,” Favre said.

“I do,” Rodgers replied. “I looked it up. You got a 22.”

After Rodgers left the room, Favre said to position coach Darrell Bevell and quarterback Craig Nall, “F–king Wonderlic score. Do you believe that sh-t? I run circles around his ass.”

At one point, receiver Donald Driver pulled Rodgers aside and said, “Aaron, we get it. You’re smart. Now shut the f–k up.”

We’ll see whether he does in response to the other contentions contained in the book.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Fret not,

I feel the same way about League Pass and NBA TV. I pay for league pass, and I do not live in LA. However, I can only watch the Lakers if they are not on TNT, ESPN, NBA TV, or some (bleep) "local" channel that is not available over the air when they play the Suns.

I didn't even mention the best part. I have Verizon and Apple TV, so I'm going to mirror it over and watch it on the big screen.

They block the mirror - only when I have that stream is running - , they re-route it to another "NFL Now" stream on the app.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

Another week another tie this time in London with the Redskins/Bengals.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Another week another tie this time in London with the Redskins/Bengals.

at least they are accustomed to football games ending in ties.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Alex Smith with his second concussion of the day this does not look good...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Tampa Bay has the worst CB's that I have ever witnessed on an NFL team....they are pure garbage every week.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Raiders won they could very well win the division the Broncos aren't as good the Chiefs will probably be without Smith for a while. The Chargers well...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Wade Phillips got knocked out of the game by a Chargers player he was carted off the field.

He appears okay...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Tampa Bay has the worst CB's that I have ever witnessed on an NFL team....they are pure garbage every week.

Comedic error at the end when they collided with each other allowing Roberts to stroll into the end zone untouched. Raiders did everything in their power to give that game away with all those penalties. What a way to lose!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Comedic error at the end when they collided with each other allowing Roberts to stroll into the end zone untouched. Raiders did everything in their power to give that game away with all those penalties. What a way to lose!

yeah, Raiders should have won by 3 touchdowns without the penalties.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 43 of 105
Jump to: