Official 2016 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I didn't know Ryan Kelly decided to play football now.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Think the Chargers are going to draft Jalen Ramsey

Should have.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I didn't know Ryan Kelly decided to play football now.

Maybe his F-I-L talked him into it

I hope people around here don't start calling him "R. Kelly" because that's cringe worthy
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject:

Not sure how I feel about the Bosa pick. Knowing that he can't be the 5-tech in our base defense makes this a curious pick.

Telesco went on about us playing sub packages 60% of the time, but I'm still not sure how you justify spending your highest pick in more than a decade on someone who doesn't even have a natural position 40% of the time.

Kinda hoping they double down and take an interior defender again tonight, tool up to suit a 4-3 more, I think they could get the personnel to incorporate more 4-3 looks and maximize Bosa's potential better. Liuget would be a good 4-3 DT, you could put him in there alongside say Jarran Reed or A'Shawn Robinson with Bosa at 3-tech DE and be a little better up front IMO.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
What makes it tricky is there's an excellent chance that a decent DE will be available to them in the first round, yet I think they'll end up over-drafting Paxton Lynch.

I don't think Lynch will make it to the Broncos' pick. I think somebody will end up trading up for him before Denver selects.

You could be right, all it takes is one GM. I'm just not as sold on him.

Any thoughts and projections on the other early round QBs?

Cleveland seems very likely to choose between Wentz and Goff at #2 overall. There's still a chance that a team will try to trade up to #1 and pick one of those guys before Cleveland can, although that would mean that the QB's go 1 and 2 in the draft. Assuming that doesn't happen, San Francisco seems like a good spot for Goff, in particular, at #7. I don't see Dallas taking a QB at #4; they just have too many other needs, and they are too committed to Romo. Philly would also be a logical place for Wentz or Goff at #8 if one of them is still there, although my guess is that Philly will end up with Ezekiel Elliott at that spot. The Rams are in obvious need of a QB, so it will be interesting to see what they do at #15. Assuming the top two guys are gone, do they bite the bullet and take Lynch? Do they use one of their two second round picks on a QB like Cook, Hackenberg, etc? Or do they perhaps try to trade up, using at least one of those second round picks as ammo, to get Wentz or Goff in the top 10?

It's funny because everyone bemoaned last season's QB draftees, but this season has a marginally worse group. Much like last season, there are two standouts that should go very early, followed by Paxton Lynch who seems at least one to two tiers below them. The rest of them are guys who should carry a clipboard for a season or two, as they just aren't ready and perhaps never will be. If you think my second round grade on Lynch is strict, you'll probably think I'm out of line when I mention that Cook and Hackenburg are third to fourth rounders. Prescott needs even more time, he's a fifth rounder.

Cardale Jones is the most intriguing of the leftovers, though I think he'll be over-drafted due to that canon he has for an arm. Almost everyone thought I was crazy when I said he should have declared last season, before the flaws in his game would emerge. I could see him going in the third round based on pure potential, but with that comes a warnign. Sometimes guys with the best arms become too reliant on them, and never fully develop. Cardale Jones should stand on the sidelines for a couple of seasons carrying a clipboard, as his career will be destroyed if he starts too early. He needs to fix his mechanics, which should improve his accuracy, and of course he needs to learn the pro game as college seemed a bit too fast and confusing for him.

It looks like we were both right. Lynch was snatched by Denver (an overdraft based on obvious need) while the Rams moved up and grabbed Goff.

I'm curious to see where the other QBs go.

I think AH mentioned Cardale Jones as an interesting later selection, but there's another guy who never gets mentioned: Jacoby Brissett. Brissett was a team captain (unlike Cardale) and reportedly loves the game, as opposed to seeing the game as a means to an end (money). QBs need that affinity more than any other position player, they have to eat, sleep and daydream about defensive formations and what tools they'll use in the playbook to counter. He has a strong arm and some accuracy, he just needs to learn the game and learn to stay in the pocket.

The chances are that Brissett will never develop (most late pick QBs don't pan out) but I think he's a good late pick for a team that has the patience to carry him on the practice squad for a couple of seasons. My guess is that he'll go between round 6 and round 7, even in this weak draft.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

Biggest surprise (other than Tunsil's slide):

1. Kelly Ryan taken in the first round. How often do you see centers taken in the middle of the first round? Decent player, but he's someone who would normally be picked somewhere in the second.

2. Karl Joseph. I wanted this guy to drop to the late second so that the Patriots could snatch him. I guess the Raiders were very happy with the physical.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

I think Paxton Lynch has more potential then both Goff and Wentz. He reminds me of an athletic Flacco. I watched Cal vs Utah and Goff had a lot of Cutler in him. Great arm but forces too many passes.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I think Paxton Lynch has more potential then both Goff and Wentz. He reminds me of an athletic Flacco. I watched Cal vs Utah and Goff had a lot of Cutler in him. Great arm but forces too many passes.

If Denver starts him this season, he'll probably end up in the bust category.

I like Wentz and Goff, though neither is a sure thing, and they're both behind where Mariota was last year. Paxton Lynch is a couple of tiers below Goff and Wentz. I like that he uses his legs but stays focused on being a passer, that's a strong plus, especially given that the pass protection will likely be shaky in Denver. His accuracy is inconsistent, he doesn't use his agility to shift his body into throws, and he isn't great at quick reads despite being in a spread offense. He's going to need time to adjust to a pro style offense, and that might take at least one season when you consider his current package.

If Denver is patient, he may end up being a good QB, but they have to nab a starter this season. If they push Paxton Lynch into that starter role, he'll probably end up a bust. I don't see Flacco, I see a hybrid of Bortles and Kaepernick.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

Disappointed about my Phins picking Tonsil. Not only is he full of red flags, but there were likely better options out there. Coulda gone Lawson to fill the void left by Vernon, or a guy like Karl Joseph that looks to be a future defensive captain. Instead we picked someone who is likely to be the next Dion Jordan.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Jordan was always a reach. That was a horrible pick to begin with.

Tunsil was the 1st or 2nd best tackle in the draft. That was a value pick. With all the pressure on him during the post draft interview, it's great that he came clean about the bong and getting paid. Ole Miss on the other hand is screwed. Everyone had suspicions about how they landed Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkemdichi and the truth inadvertently came out.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Everyone is a genius when it works and a fool when it doesn't. Tom Brady was passed by the Patriots 5 times before they drafted him. Think about that for a second.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

1. Kelly Ryan taken in the first round. How often do you see centers taken in the middle of the first round? Decent player, but he's someone who would normally be picked somewhere in the second.

2. Karl Joseph. I wanted this guy to drop to the late second so that the Patriots could snatch him. I guess the Raiders were very happy with the physical.

Colts fan here. They needed a center badly. 4-5 centers so far in Luck's short career; all of them were garbage. Interior pressure caused major injuries to all QBs on the roster this past season. If Grigson went with any position other than o-line or d-line/edge, he would have been crucified by the fans/media, and Luck may have been reluctant to re-sign.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Disappointed about my Phins picking Tonsil. Not only is he full of red flags, but there were likely better options out there. Coulda gone Lawson to fill the void left by Vernon, or a guy like Karl Joseph that looks to be a future defensive captain. Instead we picked someone who is likely to be the next Dion Jordan.

We picked BPA there. May not have been the most dire need but we're talking elite talent at a cornerstone position. The top CB's worth picking there were gone. Karl Joseph would've been a major reach, which is what the Raiders did. This isn't a Jordan pick. We traded down and picked a guy of need.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The Grind wrote:

We picked BPA there. May not have been the most dire need but we're talking elite talent at a cornerstone position. The top CB's worth picking there were gone. Karl Joseph would've been a major reach, which is what the Raiders did. This isn't a Jordan pick. We traded down and picked a guy of need.

Hope you're right dude, but I don't like the teams track record in the 1st round the last few years, we always seem to leave talent on the board. Picking a guy with multiple red flags does not inspire much confidence right now.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
rwongega wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Hope you're right dude, but I don't like the teams track record in the 1st round the last few years, we always seem to leave talent on the board. Picking a guy with multiple red flags does not inspire much confidence right now.

Provided that video was really an old one, I think he'll be fine. His only red flags prior were beating up his stepfather for abusing his mother (an admirable quality if true) and taking benefits (which goes into an argument I have against "amateur" sports). I have no qualms about his abilities on the field. We've got a new GM in Chris Grier. Fireland is gone. Hickey is gone. Save for Jordan though, our 1st round picking has been ok since 08. Long was a Pro Bowler, Davis was solid though never blossomed until after he got traded, Odrick was solid for a 28th pick, Pouncey's a Pro Bowl anchor for our line, Tannehill has been a top 15 QB with a higher ceiling once he gets better help on the OL, James is a starter, and I have very high hopes for Parker after his brief appearances last year post-injury. It's the Rounds 2-7, where a draft class really makes its mark, where I was worried the past few years and where we've really missed the mark. As long as Tunsil stays healthy, which can be said of anyone really, I think you'll be happy with the BPA pick. I wanted Jack, but mostly because of homerism, and there's gotta be something yet revealed in that medical exam.

TBH, my realistic pre-draft board for the Dolphins were Hargreaves, Elliott, Apple, Conklin, Stanley. But all were taken before the pick. My unrealistic had Ramsey, Jack, Tunsil, Bosa ahead so I was somewhat pleased we got my #3 one.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Got to watch Joseph for four years. He's a monster. He wasn't getting past Pittsburgh at 25.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Everyone is a genius when it works and a fool when it doesn't. Tom Brady was passed by the Patriots 5 times before they drafted him. Think about that for a second.

This is why the draft is only one part of the process. Hard work, system, etc are all factors for the success of a player in the NFL. I'm sure in this draft there will be future Pro-Bowl selections who were selected in the latter rounds.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I LOVED the pick for the Raiders with Joseph at 14. Dude is a stud. And safety has become a real position of value in today's NFL, with the way the rules are for offensive players now. Rangy safeties that can tackle and cover are huge. Assuming Joseph's knee is OK--and it seems like he had a straightforward ACL tear, unlike something more serious like with Jack or Jaylon Smith--he should be OK to play by training camp.

Tunsil was the best left tackle in this draft, at least on pure talent. It was good value for the Dolphins to get him at 13. A risk worth taking IMO.

I am not a fan of Dallas taking Elliott at 4. I just don't like the value of RB's going that high. Maybe you get 5-6 great years. That's your ceiling. Essentially, if he's not an absolute All-Pro RB, you missed on your value. And the history of top 4 RB picks in the last 10-15 years is not good. I like the player but I just don't like the value, in comparison to a guy like Ramsey, who could be good for 10+ years.

Speaking of Ramsey, J'ville had to be doing cartwheels to get him at #5.

I thought the Giants really reached getting Eli Apple at #10. Apparently they had their eye on Conklin and Floyd, the two players that went immediately before they picked at 10.

Possibly my favorite value pick was Nkemdiche at 29 by Arizona. I think it's just a perfect fit, the right place for him, and Arians commands so much respect, and is not afraid of anything, that I think it will work out. The guy is a top 10 talent, possibly a top 5 talent. He's a freak and I love what they have done along the D line this offseason, in getting Jones and now Nkemdiche.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Jaylon Smith goes 34th to Dallas.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

And J'ville trades up from 38 to 36 to get Myles Jack! They get Ramsey and Jack. Wow. Jack was popularly mocked to J'ville at #5 overall. If he can play at 100% this year, what a boost to their defense.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I hate Jacksonville.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Nice move by the Bills to trade up to get Ragland. Spence and Ragland will help their D a lot this season, I think.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I hate Jacksonville.

They have a chance to make a leap this season to actual competitiveness for a playoff spot. Think of what they have added to their defense since Week 1 of last season:

Malik Jackson. Jalen Ramsey. Myles Jack. Tashaun Gipson. Prince Amukamara. And back from injury: Sen'Derrick Marks and Dante Fowler.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
I hate Jacksonville.

They have a chance to make a leap this season to actual competitiveness for a playoff spot. Think of what they have added to their defense since Week 1 of last season:

Malik Jackson. Jalen Ramsey. Myles Jack. Tashaun Gipson. Prince Amukamara. And back from injury: Sen'Derrick Marks and Dante Fowler.

Don't give a (bleep). I still hate the Jagoffs and that cesspool known as Jacksonville.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

The Titans must really like Derrick Henry a lot. He probably won't even get a ton of carries in his first two seasons. Maybe next season if Murray proves he has little left this season. But his money should ensure he has a role with them for at least 2 seasons (Murray, that is). I guess with 4 picks so far, the Titans figured they could take a guy they really liked, even if he won't start for them right away.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 11 of 105
Jump to: