Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I can't picture Manning as a coach he would be way too demanding

That just might be what's needed to get Tannehill off his hot wife and in the film room.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Seattle WR Ricardo Lockette is reportedly retiring:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrible-neck-injury-forces-seahawks-wr-ricardo-lockette-to-retire-231456125.html

He took a nasty hit during the Dallas game, one that I thought might leave him paralyzed for life. He stated that the resultant injury was "50%" why he is going to retire, but I think he's understating it. I think most who watched thought it was career-ending.

He has also been unfairly blamed for that Malcolm Butler interception, but that's BS. If there's a player to blame, it's the QB, but it's hard to blame Wilson as on a one yard slant, there just about no time to read.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunate but I expected it too at least he can still walk away though.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrible-neck-injury-forces-seahawks-wr-ricardo-lockette-to-retire-231456125.html

He took a nasty hit during the Dallas game, one that I thought might leave him paralyzed for life. He stated that the resultant injury was "50%" why he is going to retire, but I think he's understating it. I think most who watched thought it was career-ending.

He has also been unfairly blamed for that Malcolm Butler interception, but that's BS. If there's a player to blame, it's the QB, but it's hard to blame Wilson as on a one yard slant, there just about no time to read.

He made the decision a while ago. Did the team a solid by waiting until after the draft to announce it. That's what the pickup of Kenny Lawler was all about. I got to see Lawler 2 days ago at the rookie minicamp and he's likely to experience even more success in the receiving corp as a rookie than did Tyler Lockett last season. The guy has hands of glue and pulls in anything remotely in his vicinity even in locked up coverage. He's like Doug Baldwin with better hands and vertical. Wilson has more weapons than he's ever had for the coming season, if the patchwork line can gel quicker than it did last season.

A little sneak peek: Jimmy Graham will also be lining up at wide receiver in a number of set formations next season.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

He made the decision a while ago. Did the team a solid by waiting until after the draft to announce it. That's what the pickup of Kenny Lawler was all about. I got to see Lawler 2 days ago at the rookie minicamp and he's likely to experience even more success in the receiving corp as a rookie than did Tyler Lockett last season. The guy has hands of glue and pulls in anything remotely in his vicinity even in locked up coverage. He's like Doug Baldwin with better hands and vertical. Wilson has more weapons than he's ever had for the coming season, if the patchwork line can gel quicker than it did last season.

A little sneak peek: Jimmy Graham will also be lining up at wide receiver in a number of set formations next season.

I didn't see any tape on Lawler, so I only have a superficial knowledge of him based on traits. He has the right size to be a flanker, though (like Lockette) he's built like a string bean. However I foresee his role as being quite different from Lockette. Lockette played mostly as a flanker (actually ST gunner, but that's a needless detail), at least whenever I caught a Seattle game. Lockette's actual production numbers were nothing impressive, but his speed on go routes forced the defenses to stretch. Lawler doesn't have that speed, in fact Lawler has the foot speed of a TE. I imagine his strength will as a de facto slot as he'll be in motion prior to the snap. Given his size, he'll have to have great hands, ability to protect the ball, ability to attack the ball and offer a large catch radius to be successful. And he's going to have to be able to take an absolute pounding. He's not going to be a threat on go routes, so he won't stretch defenses. CBs will not need to give him much padding.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/reche-caldwell-is-officially-the-worst-criminal-in-the-world/#comments

Quote:
Reche Caldwell is officially the worst criminal in the world

If you’ve ever wondered “How could Reche Caldwell not have seen that coming?,” well, now you have your answer.

The former Patriots wide receiver, known for his egregious dropped playoff pass and his wide-eyed reaction to it can add “worst criminal ever” to his resume.

In a frankly hilarious portrait of a criminal mastermind except without the mind part, David Fleming of ESPN details how exactly Caldwell ended up serving a 27-month sentence for a laundry list of charges from gambling to drug importing.

But the amazing part of Caldwell’s story is how oblivious he was to the fact he was being arrested multiple times.

When he was tracking a UPS shipment of drugs from China on his smart (or not) phone, it wasn’t until he signed for the package that he realized he had been busted again.

“I Googled it, baby!,” Caldwell explained to Fleming, when asked how he ended up in a comfortable Florida prison.

When a SWAT team broke down the door of the storefront gambling parlor he was running across the street from an elementary school (with coffee cans stuffed full of cash), he was eating a sandwich and wondering why they were so aggressive.

“Damn, man, you blasted the door with a tank?,” he asked. “Why didn’t ya just knock? I woulda let y’all in.”

Other than the fact he’s still in prison, Caldwell seems to be at peace with his football mistakes, his post-football mistakes (of which there are more) and proud of the fact his brother Andre just won a Super Bowl ring.

But his exploits are still a head-scratcher to those who love him, to their relief.

“Good lord that boy was a bad criminal,” his mother said, “and thank Jesus for that.”

Caldwell will be eligible for transfer to a work-release facility later this month, and we hope he has turned his back on a life of crime. Mostly because he’s really bad at it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm disappointed. I would have liked Reche Caldwell to have been a much better criminal. Instead he lapsed into bad habits and laziness, just like his years with the Patriots.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

“Good lord that boy was a bad criminal,” his mother said, “and thank Jesus for that.”

Not hard to see how that transpired.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, I'm disappointed. I would have liked Reche Caldwell to have been a much better criminal. Instead he lapsed into bad habits and laziness, just like his years with the Patriots.

Meanwhile his little brother just won the SB with the Broncos and hasn't gotten into any of this mess himself.

Talk about polar opposites.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/chris-spielman-moves-to-fox-will-call-nfl-games/

Quote:
Chris Spielman moves to FOX, will call NFL games

FOX has hired former NFL linebacker Chris Spielman as an analyst, beginning this fall.

A four-time Pro Bowler with the Lions, Spielman also played two seasons with the Bills before retiring with the Browns in 1999. Spielman began his broadcasting career with FOX in 1999. He’s worked for ESPN, primarily calling college games, since 2001.

The FOX news release said Spielman will work as an NFL game analyst and contribute to the network’s college football coverage.

A College Football Hall of Famer, Spielman has been living near Columbus, where he starred at Ohio State. He’s the brother of Vikings general manager Rick Spielman.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/chris-spielman-moves-to-fox-will-call-nfl-games/

Quote:
Chris Spielman moves to FOX, will call NFL games

FOX has hired former NFL linebacker Chris Spielman as an analyst, beginning this fall.

A four-time Pro Bowler with the Lions, Spielman also played two seasons with the Bills before retiring with the Browns in 1999. Spielman began his broadcasting career with FOX in 1999. He’s worked for ESPN, primarily calling college games, since 2001.

The FOX news release said Spielman will work as an NFL game analyst and contribute to the network’s college football coverage.

A College Football Hall of Famer, Spielman has been living near Columbus, where he starred at Ohio State. He’s the brother of Vikings general manager Rick Spielman.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

http://mashable.com/2016/05/18/patrick-willis-retirement-tech-open-source/#2sxQAaiuyGqR

Quote:
NFL star Patrick Willis is thriving in retirement as a Silicon Valley tech worker

CAMPBELL, Calif. — Close your eyes and picture the life of a retired NFL superstar. Maybe you envision a moveable feast — private jets, exclusive parties and beautiful companions. Maybe you see something quieter, day after day in the backyard watching the grass grow.

Patrick Willis' life after retirement resembles neither. One of the greatest linebackers in modern NFL history, Willis made the Pro Bowl in seven of his eight professional seasons. Then he shocked the football world when he walked away from the game in March 2015 at age 30.

Now Willis' life is — well, probably not at all what most NFL fans would expect.

Monday through Friday, Willis commutes to work at a Silicon Valley office park. He's got a list of favorite lunch spots nearby. Sometimes he takes video calls from home, or instant messages with colleagues after hours.

Like so many people who share his age range and geographic area, Willis now works at a tech startup.

Willis picked cotton as a kid in Tennessee to help support his family. He and his siblings later moved in with a basketball coach to flee an abusive, alcoholic father. But sports — he was a two-time collegiate All-American at Ole Miss before the NFL — offered salvation.

Now Willis sees something different in the business world.

"People always told me when I was growing up that if you want to be something great, you have to be this physical specimen that can jump up to here and all that," Willis told Mashable in an interview this week.

Seated in a conference room at the office of Open Source Storage, his new employer, Willis still sported the bulging physique of an NFL star. But dressed in tan pants and a black T-shirt, his outfit could have been that of any other Silicon Valley tech worker.

"For me, this is an opportunity to be able to tell young kids that you can be more than just a physical specimen to be great," Willis said. "I'm a person that can't speak about something until I've done it myself."

But Willis' remarkable story of empowerment and reinvention might not have happened this way at all. It begins with a chance encounter between Willis and a Silicon Valley entrepreneur whose journey has much in common with Willis' own path to the NFL.

A legendary career abbreviated

Forged by his tough childhood and propelled by prodigious athletic gifts, Willis became an instant star for the San Francisco 49ers after the team drafted him 11th overall out of Ole Miss in 2007.

He racked up 950 tackles for the Niners, plus 20.5 sacks, eight interceptions and 16 forced fumbles. He terrorized opposing offenses from sideline to sideline, all the while acting as an on-field general for the San Francisco defense.

This February, Athlon ranked Willis the 22nd-best linebacker in NFL history — a plaudit that's double impressive when you consider his career lasted half as long as those of some other players.

Then in March 2015, Willis shocked the world by retiring after the 49ers hastily called a press conference.

He was only 30 years old, but Willis' rationale was simple. A career of injuries made him worry his elite days were behind him, and he didn't want to sustain more longterm physical damage.

“Honestly, I pay attention to guys when they’re finished playing, walking around like they’ve got no hips and they can’t play with their kids. They can barely walk,” Willis said in his farewell press conference. “People see that and they feel sorry, but they don’t realize it’s because he played a few extra years.

“For me, there’s more to my life than football. It has provided an amazing platform for me to build on, but it’s my health first and everything else just kind of makes sense around it.”

What the world didn't know then was the wheels had already been put in motion for Willis' next step.

Parallel paths on different tracks

Eren Niazi's career arc is one of those classic Silicon Valley fables. He grew up in the area, but dropped out of high school and didn't attend college. He did odd jobs like washing dishes to get by. He lived out of his car for a period as a teenager.

"Apple's Steve Jobs Would See Himself in Tech Pioneer Eren Niazi," squawked a headline on TheStreet two years ago.

Gradual grinding and bold ambition helped Niazi get a foothold in the tech industry. He began on the business side for Fry's Electronics and Circuit City, then launched Open Source Storage in 2001 while still in his early 20s. He was later pushed out of his own creation, but then relaunched it in 2013.

Niazi and Willis, both extremely successful men from different fields, also happened to live in the same Silicon Valley neighborhood. Several months before he retired, Willis was recovering from a surgical operation when Niazi spotted him wrestling to move bags from his car to front door.

"Usually when people walk up to me, they kind of already know who I am and have some motive," Willis recalled this week. "But he just insisted like, 'Let me help you with that.' Then he just took off. I thought it was cool."

Niazi wasn't being polite or nonchalant, though. He doesn't follow sports and has never been to a 49ers game.

He simply had no idea who Willis was.

As the two neighbors got to know one another more, Willis found himself impressed by Niazi's rags-to-riches story and tech-industry success. Niazi, in turn, was impressed by the traits that made Willis an NFL star, as well as the player's curiosity for life beyond football.

About two months after he announced his retirement from the NFL, Willis signed on full-time with Open Source Storage as a board member and executive vice president for partnerships.

He's got the LinkedIn page and everything.

Hearing Willis and Niazi discuss their working relationship — after years of watching Willis deliver bone-crushing NFL hits — is surreal.

Here's Niazi: "A lot of guys come in with a big ego, but Patrick’s not like that. He's just a total pleasure to work with."

And now Willis: "It just felt like, a lot of times in my other occupation, it was all about you as an individual. Here, I'm part of a team in a little bit of a different way."

Unlike the many apps and games that have made technology a popular phenomenon, Open Source Storage is a behind-the-scenes player. Basically, the company provides storage and infrastructure solutions to other companies. (Niazi's original iteration of the company worked with Shutterfly, Friendster and Facebook, among others.) It currently has about 60 employees, some full-time and some on contract.

When Carrie Pendolino, the company's current vice president for marketing, applied for an opening last December, both Willis and Niazi interviewed her.

"Then I came home and my husband and son were like, ‘Uh, do you know who that was?!?’” Pendolino recalled recently.

It's a situation others can likely relate to; Willis is involved in interviewing most of the company's prospective hires.

He still works out, and he fishes sometimes, too. But that's Willis' life these days: A full-on Silicon Valley tech worker.

He watched some NFL highlights this past season — his first away from the sport — and caught bits and pieces of random games here and there. But he really hasn't followed football much since retiring last year.

"I don't want to rest on what I've done and let that keep me from doing what I want to do," Willis said. "I'd rather be reading something or diving into something and trying to figure it out."

The former all-world linebacker lightly tapped the side of his head at the conference table.

"I still respect it," Willis said of pro football. "But my mind is past it."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

I remember this story

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jim-harbaugh-punching-jim-kelly-helped-colts-land-peyton-manning-154342249.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Quote:
How Jim Harbaugh punching Jim Kelly helped Colts land Peyton Manning

This offseason, Shutdown Corner will travel down memory lane with a series of stories presenting some interesting and sometimes forgotten stories from the NFL's past. Join us as we relive some of the greatest and craziest moments in the sport's history.

Jim Harbaugh came up just short in his bid to land the Indianapolis Colts in a Super Bowl when his Hail Mary pass was dropped in the end zone in the 1995 AFC championship game as time expired.

But Harbaugh would help deliver a Super Bowl — albeit very indirectly — years later when he punched recently-retired quarterback and future Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly in 1997.

Yes, Harbaugh's right hook of Kelly was the first flap of the butterfly’s wings that helped the Colts land Peyton Manning and an eventual title in Super Bowl XLI.

Allow us to connect the strange dots in this story, which remarkably comes almost full circle again in the end.

Colts head coach Ted Marchibroda was fired after that loss to the Steelers in the 1995 AFC title game.He was replaced by Lindy Infante for the 1996 season. Yet the team’s results were remarkably similar the following year: another 9-7 season with Harbaugh at QB and another season-ending loss in the playoffs to the Steelers, although this one by a 42-14 blowout.

Harbaugh returned in 1997 and the Colts had an exciting young nucleus with Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison, and yet they got off to a nightmarish start with seven straight losses — five by six points or fewer — to open the season. Tension and tempers were rising in Indy.

Enter Kelly, who had been doing TV work following his retirement from the Buffalo Bills. Two of those Colts losses had come at the hands of the Bills, by scores of 37-35 and 9-6. Prior to the second Bills game, Kelly made some incendiary comments toward Harbaugh (three TDs in seven starts) for being to blame for the Colts’ 0-7 start.

Kelly also questioned Harbaugh’s toughness in doing so.

Co-hosting on a local TV show in Buffalo called "Sneak Preview," Kelly downplayed the beating the 34-year-old Harbaugh had taken in recent seasons and said Harbaugh was a "baby" and that he “overdramatized” his injuries, per the Los Angeles Times.

Well, that didn’t sit well with the quarterback who had earned a reputation for his toughness. As luck would have it, the Colts were traveling to San Diego to face the Chargers that next game in Week 9, which Kelly would be broadcasting with NBC. Harbaugh was hurt, set to miss that game with an ankle injury, so replacement starter Paul Justin was the quarterback scheduled to meet with Kelly the rest of the production team.

Still, Harbaugh had heard what Kelly had said about him and wanted to chat about it. So he paid him an unannounced visit — by crashing the production meeting the day before the game. Yup.

“I wanted to ask him where he was coming from with those comments,” Harbaugh explained to Detroit Free Press’ Mitch Albom in 1997. “We went into a room and started talking about it. He said, ‘I call it the way I see it.’ One thing led to another ...”
When Kelly in essence told Harbaugh that he called it like he saw it, Harbaugh took a swing at Kelly’s nose.

“I hit him,” Harbaugh told Albom. “I threw a couple of punches. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.”
Kelly managed to duck the punch somewhat, with Harbaugh’s fist reportedly glancing his skull instead. Harbaugh actually came out in worse shape without actually getting hit himself, suffering a broken bone in his hand. A bad Colts season was getting worse by the minute.

“I broke the bone while hitting him,” Harbaugh told Albom. “I’ve heard he’s telling people I never hit him, but I don’t know why he would say that. I would assume he knew what happened, since we were both there.On the way to the elevator, I felt my hand swelling up immediately.”
That crack caused him to miss three more games thereafter, getting docked $140,000 per game..

"I regret throwing the punch, but I felt I had to do something since my toughness was being questioned," Harbaugh said, via the Times. "I regret that I have a crack in one of my bones in my hand."
Harbaugh’s toughness wasn’t questioned too many times after that, but it wasn’t the first or last time the future San Francisco 49ers and Michigan head coach’s zeal in the heat of the action became a story line.

The Colts would lose to the Chargers that game and slide even further to 0-10. Although they won three of their final six games (all three coming against teams with winning records, including the Super Bowl-bound Green Bay Packers), the Colts finished with the worst record in the NFL. Four other teams — including the Chargers, who beat the Colts — finished one game better at 4-12.

That meant the Colts landing the No. 1 pick in the draft. And that eventually meant drafting Manning. You know how that story turned out.

But here’s the kicker: Had the Colts won any of those three games that Harbaugh missed, it’s almost certain they would not have picked first. The first tiebreaker to determine draft order is opponents’ win percentage, and the Colts’ .531 mark was higher than three of the four 4-12 teams. Manning would have been a Charger, or maybe an Arizona Cardinal instead.

The story doesn’t end there.

The Baltimore Ravens needed a quarterback the following season in 1998 after they had planned to waive Vinny Testaverde, who played well for them but had a then-unseemly three years and $15 million left on his contract, which was a bugaboo for the cash-poor team right before it moved into the new stadium.

So the Ravens discussed two veteran options favored by Marchibroda, who was entering his third and final year as Ravens head coach: Harbaugh and Kelly.

Yes, the same Kelly who had retired after getting beaten to a pulp during the 1996 season. After a year off, he was sending out feelers around the league, hinting that he might consider coming back to the NFL if the right situation emerged.

Marchibroda tasked his coaching staff to watch tape of both quarterbacks, the one-time combatants, to decide which would be the better option. He had coached both of them — Kelly when Marchibroda was the Bills’ offensive coordinator during the K-Gun heyday, and Harbaugh in 1994 and 1995 when he was with the Colts — and was feeling the pressure to deliver wins after a 10-21-1 record in his two Ravens seasons.

“Kelly had been hurt a lot, had taken a lot of hits that [1996] season,” Don Strock, the Ravens’ quarterback coach that year, told Shutdown Corner. “I looked at some of those games, and I remember watching the Seattle game vividly. He was just getting killed. I know he’s a tough guy, but as you get older you lose your legs a little bit, that quickness in your arm — believe me, as a former player myself, I know.

“He was kind of at that point. It had nothing to do with leadership. You could see he still had that. The guys rallied around him. But he was at the end of his career. He wasn’t someone who was going to put the Baltmore Ravens over the hump, I don’t think.”

Neither would come cheap. Harbaugh was still under contract with the Colts, and Kelly reportedly was asking for a lot of money to leave his cushy TV gigs and with his own concerns about taking more of a beating in Baltimore. The Ravens’ coaching staff sat down in the weeks following the season for a discussion over what the best route would be.

After other options were quickly dismissed — such as trading up in the draft for Manning or Ryan Leaf, or to try to trade for Carolina Panthers quarterback Kerry Collins — it boiled down to Harbaugh vs. Kelly. The conversation went coach by coach until it arrived at respected special-teams coordinator Scott O’Brien. A man who, by his own admission, was no expert on quarterbacks.

“[Marchibroda] wanted Kelly,” O’Brien told Shutdown Corner. “But we had a meeting and we went around the room and took a vote. Now I know Jack and John Harbaugh, worked with them, and had met Jim a few times before that. I love Jim now, he’s my guy, but I didn’t know him then like I know him now.

“I don’t know Jim Kelly at all, but when [the discussion] got to me, I said, ‘Ted, I don’t know [expletive] about quarterbacks. … I just know I want the guy who won the fight.’ I'm not sure Ted had any clue what I was talking about.”

O’Brien isn’t sure if that settled it, he said recently with a laugh, but days later the Ravens had swung a trade for Harbaugh, sending a 1998 third-round pick to the Colts and swapping fourth-rounders. And as if it wasn’t bizarre enough that the choice came down to two quarterbacks who got into a fistfight the year prior, the fact that the Ravens made a major trade with the Colts — the team that left Baltimore 14 years earlier — added just another odd layer to the whole deal.

Kelly is a proud cancer survivor and one of the best to play the game. Manning will join him in Canton the first year he’s eligible. Harbaugh, who came up just short of a Super Bowl with the 49ers, is blazing his own trail as one of the best college coaches in the country.

Could all three converge again in some weird way? Well, there are still direct and indirect connections. Kelly likely will be on the college scene this fall with his nephew, Chad Kelly, one of the best senior quarterbacks in the country at Ole Miss. You know, the same school where Manning’s dad and little brother were stars.

We say bring them all back together — let’s say at Michigan vs. Ole Miss at the Orange Bowl this coming January — and get the three men to sit down and tell the story of the punch that changed the course of NFL history.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

Atlanta to host SB 53
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NFL owners voted Tuesday to award the 2021 game to the nation’s second-largest market for the first time since 1993. The game will be played at the yet-to-be-constructed Inglewood stadium, which is scheduled to open for the 2019 season.

The league took the unprecedented step of awarding three Super Bowls on a single day, games that will be played in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Atlanta was awarded the game capping the 2019 season, and South Florida was awarded the next one. New Orleans and Tampa, Fla., were not selected as sites.

When Rams owner Stan Kroenke was asked if the Super Bowl coming to Los Angeles would raise the bar for the NFL's championship game, he responded, "I hope it raises the bar, because that means we’ll have done a great job."

LA Superbowl 2021
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Seems like pandering I think the Texans were a more believable option...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/29/peyton-manning-was-pretty-close-to-picking-titans-in-2012/

Quote:

Peyton Manning was “pretty close” to picking Titans in 2012

The late Bud Adams made no secret of the fact that he wanted Peyton Manning to sign with the Titans when Manning was a free agent in 2012 and the failure to land him reportedly contributed to the franchise’s founder and owner’s decision to fire General Manager Mike Reinfeldt after that season came to a close.

Manning wound up signing with the Broncos, of course, and went to two Super Bowls with Denver before retiring in the wake of their Super Bowl win earlier this year. The Titans haven’t had anything close to that kind of success in the last four years, which will likely have some of their fans wondering what might have been after Manning revisited that pursuit at the Middle Tennessee Sports Awards in Nashville on Thursday night.

“I was pretty close,” Manning said of joining the Titans, via the Tennessean.

That decision would have led to a lot of other what ifs around the league including what things would look like for the Titans, Broncos, Texans, Marcus Mariota and others had Manning made a different decision. Those what ifs don’t make for much other than conversation topics to while away an afternoon, but long holiday weekends usually offer an opportunity to do just that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Weird story

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/31/broncos-wideout-cody-latimer-calls-cops-on-girlfriend-bails-her-out/

Quote:
Broncos wideout Cody Latimer calls cops on girlfriend, bails her out

Broncos wide receiver Cody Latimer called the cops on his girlfriend, and ended up in trouble himself.

According to Mike Klis and Jeremy Jojola of KUSA, Latimer was arrested for failing to appear in court to pay an old traffic ticket, leading to him paying $311.50 to settle that charge.

But that was the ordinary part of the day. According to the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office, Latimer called the cops at 2:40 a.m. Monday , saying his girlfriend “put her hands on him.”

His girlfriend, 25-year-old Jaimee Rando, was arrested for assault and disturbing the peace. But Latimer posted her bail on Tuesday afternoon.

He wasn’t at Broncos practice Tuesday, with coach Gary Kubiak saying it was for personal reasons. Latimer has been a disappointment on the field, as the former second-rounder has just eight catches in two seasons.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

When he was on the Chargers, his nickname was Ricochet Caldwell because that is what would usually happen when the ball hit his "hands".
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/01/broncos-will-visit-white-house-on-monday/

Quote:
Broncos will visit White House on Monday

It’s long been a tradition that Super Bowl champions pay a visit to the White House after securing their title and the Broncos will keep it alive next week.

The White House announced Wednesday that the Broncos will be in town on Monday to receive congratulations from President Obama, who will be greeting the eighth and final Super Bowl champions of his term. Cornerback Aqib Talib said this week that he had a new suit made for the occasion.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how that looks,” Talib said, via KUSA. “Meet Obama before he get up out [of there]. Something I’ve never done before. With these guys, too, man, there are so many characters in this locker room, so just to be able to do something I’ve never done before with these guys, it will be a blast for us.”

The Broncos say that close to 100 members of the organization will make the trip and that some of those who have moved on since the end of the season will take part as well. Peyton Manning is listed in that latter group and may be able to provide President Obama some advice on next steps after leaving a high-profile job.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

In the least surprising news of the day... the Broncos are supposed to go to the White House tomorrow so this should be interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/05/talib-released-from-hospital-after-shooting-reportedly-has-minor-leg-injury/

Quote:
Talib released from hospital after shooting, reportedly has “minor leg injury”

Posted by Zac Jackson on June 5, 2016, 4:42 PM EDT
Aqib Talib
AP
Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib has been released from a Dallas hospital after he was shot Saturday night, NFL Network’s Jeff Darlington reported Sunday.

Rebecca Lopez of WFAA TV in Dallas reported that Talib was shot after a fight in V Live, a Dallas night club, and that Talib was taken to Medical City Hospital.

Darlington reported and others have confirmed that Talib was released from the emergency room on Sunday.

Mike Klis of News 9 in Denver reported that Talib has a minor leg injury as a result of the shooting and that the Broncos have been in touch with Talib and are working to uncover new information on the incident.

Talib, 30, has played the last two seasons with the Broncos.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/07/hacker-posts-bogus-statement-on-goodell-dying-nfl-on-twitter/

Quote:
Hacker posts bogus statement on Goodell dying @NFL on Twitter

The NFL’s official Twitter account was hacked today with a bogus statement that Commissioner Roger Goodell had died.

The fake tweet said, “We regret to inform our fans that our commissioner, Roger Goodell, has passed away. He was 57. #RIP.”

The NFL quickly confirmed that Goodell is alive and well and that the league’s Twitter account was hacked. A spokesman told PFT that the league is currently looking into the matter.

Although the NFL deleted the bogus tweet, it didn’t stop the hacker from posting a second tweet reading, “Oi, I said Roger Goodell has died. Don’t delete that tweet.” That was followed by a third tweet saying, “OK, OK, you amateur detectives win. Good job.”

Thousands of people retweeted the hacker’s tweets, but it doesn’t appear that many people actually fell for the fake news. A tweet isn’t the way the NFL would make such an announcement, nor would it simply come suddenly and from one source.

Now @NFL needs to change its password.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/07/wisconsin-scandal-aaron-rodgers-eliminates-dairy-from-his-diet/

Quote:
Wisconsin scandal: Aaron Rodgers eliminates dairy from his diet

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers may still autograph a fan’s cheesehead.

But don’t expect him to share in the Wisconsin fashion icon’s inspiration.

Via Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Rodgers said that as part of an offseason emphasis on healthier eating, he’s eliminated dairy from his diet.

That’s right, he cut the cheese.

(We’ll give you a moment to recover from your fit of laughter this early in the morning, and clean the coffee you sprayed out of your nose off the screen. What, you’re not 11? Carry on.)

He was coming off a minor knee surgery and wanted to feel better, so he consulted with team nutritionist Adam Korzun, who helped him settle on a vegetable-heavy plan.

“I ate more of a vegan diet,” Rodgers said, “with some red meat at times and some chicken, but tried to stick to a lot of fruits and vegetables — but mostly vegetables.”

He said he’s played as heavy as 230, but is down to 218 now, as light as he’s been as a pro. The 32-year-old said he just wanted to get generally healthier, but had sport-specific needs.

“Through your eating, you can reduce inflammation,” he said. “Because if you do research, you learn the different foods you eat can actually increase the inflammation in your body — and especially in certain parts of your body.

“With a knee condition I’ve had for a long time, it really started after the surgery, thinking about exactly what I’m going to eat the first couple of weeks after surgery to kind of limit the amount of inflammation in my knee, and carried that around the rest of the offseason.”

As a result, he carried a little less of himself around, and stepped a bit away from the local delicacy that has come to represent his fan base.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/09/richard-sherman-make-billionaires-pay-for-their-own-stadiums/

Quote:
Richard Sherman: Make billionaires pay for their own stadiums

A major part of the NFL’s business model is getting taxpayers to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on new stadiums. One of the NFL’s best players thinks it’s time for that practice to stop.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said on 710 ESPN in Seattle that if he had his way, the billionaires who own NFL teams would foot the bill for the stadiums.

“I’d stop spending billions of taxpayer dollars on stadiums . . . maybe make the billionaires who actually benefit from the stadiums pay for them. That kind of seems like a system that would work for me,” Sherman said, via MyNorthwest.com.

It’s an argument that citizens and public officials in many NFL cities agree with, and yet the NFL has managed to find many municipalities willing to finance its stadiums. And more cities, most recently Las Vegas, are saying they’re open to giving taxpayer funds to the NFL. As long as those cities keep offering their money, the NFL will keep accepting.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/09/richard-sherman-make-billionaires-pay-for-their-own-stadiums/

Quote:
Richard Sherman: Make billionaires pay for their own stadiums

A major part of the NFL’s business model is getting taxpayers to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on new stadiums. One of the NFL’s best players thinks it’s time for that practice to stop.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said on 710 ESPN in Seattle that if he had his way, the billionaires who own NFL teams would foot the bill for the stadiums.

“I’d stop spending billions of taxpayer dollars on stadiums . . . maybe make the billionaires who actually benefit from the stadiums pay for them. That kind of seems like a system that would work for me,” Sherman said, via MyNorthwest.com.

It’s an argument that citizens and public officials in many NFL cities agree with, and yet the NFL has managed to find many municipalities willing to finance its stadiums. And more cities, most recently Las Vegas, are saying they’re open to giving taxpayer funds to the NFL. As long as those cities keep offering their money, the NFL will keep accepting.

Great in principle. Hard to enact in reality. Just ask St. Louis.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Damn, just looked up the Red Sox hitters. SEVEN! everyday players batting over .270. Four of them are batting over .310. That is nuts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 13 of 105
Jump to: