Official 2016 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Is Dak Prescott the steal of the draft? Seems to me he was not well served by the MSU coaching staff who basically just relied on his athleticism. He is making nice throws and running like a deer when he has the chance. And he's actually making some nice reads.

One of the steals of the draft, yes.

I'd rather have him than Goff. No joke.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject:

Dak Prescott was intriguing, but I certainly didn't expect this. No freaking way.

After the first two QBs (Wentz and Goff), I found the entire middle tier (Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Cardale Jones and Connor Cook) badly over-hyped. I liked Brissett more than any of those middle tiered QBs, and it wouldn't surprise me if Dak Prescott outshines them all.

Cardale Jones is the wildcard, and given the really low percentage yield of developmental prospect QBs, he should have been taken in a later round. He's more football player than QB, so the Bills should take a long and hard look at what position he should play if his QBing prospects look cloudy.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Is Dak Prescott the steal of the draft? Seems to me he was not well served by the MSU coaching staff who basically just relied on his athleticism. He is making nice throws and running like a deer when he has the chance. And he's actually making some nice reads.

He's looked good but I wouldn't put too much stock yet. My Dolphins are absolutely putrid at the CB position and the Rams were already pegged as a defense ready for a big drop. Also helps to have the best offensive line in the game but he's clearly better than their other backups and Cowboys should be fine this season.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/nfl-announces-new-episodes-football-life-timeline-fall-season/

Quote:

NFL Announces New Episodes of ‘A Football Life’ and ‘The Timeline’ For Fall Season

For the 2016 NFL season, NFL Films – the most honored filmmaker in sports – presents 25 documentaries that will air on NFL Network, highlighted by the anticipated returns of two Emmy-nominated series, A Football Life and The Timeline.

The sixth season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life premieres Friday, September 16 at 9:00 PM ET with a profile of Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin. The second season of the successful series The Timeline airs Wednesdays at 8:00 PM ET beginning September 14 with Last Day in LA, chronicling the last time football was played in Los Angeles in 1994. On Friday, September 9 at 8:00 PM ET, The Timeline airs at a special time with 9/11, which examines how the NFL reacted to the crisis of September 11, 2001.

A Football Life

A Football Life airs Fridays at 9:00 PM ET on NFL Network throughout the 2016 NFL season with 13 new episodes. Produced by NFL Films, A Football Life continues to examine the iconic individuals and subjects that have had an undeniable and profound impact on the history of the National Football League, offering an inside look into their untold stories.

Among the subjects profiled this season on A Football Life in addition to Curtis Martin are:

Super Bowl champion safety Rodney Harrison
Former Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson
Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young
The late Pat Tillman
Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre
Former Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick
Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown
Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith Sr.
Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman
Former Pro Bowl defensive back Charles Woodson
Hall of Fame linebacker Kevin Greene
Hall of Fame head coach Chuck Noll

Emmy-nominated actor from CBS’ The Good Wife, Josh Charles, returns as narrator of the series.

On Saturday, September 3, a special preview of the upcoming season of A Football Life will air on CBS at 8:00 PM ET with a profile of newly enshrined Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre.

Below is a broadcast schedule for the September and October episodes of A Football Life:

September 16 – Curtis Martin
September 23 – Rodney Harrison
September 30 – Chad Johnson
October 7 – Steve Young
October 21 – Brett Favre
October 28 – Pat Tillman

The Timeline

The expanded, 10-episode season of the ground-breaking series The Timeline airs Wednesdays at 8:00 PM ET on NFL Network throughout the 2016 NFL season with hour-long episodes chronicling seminal moments that formed the NFL’s storied past, shape the present and, in some cases, set the stage for the future.

On Friday, September 9 at 8:00 PM ET, The Timeline airs at a special time with 9/11, which examines how the NFL reacted to the crisis of September 11, 2001.

Among the subjects featured this season are on The Timeline:

9/11 (Friday, September 9 at 8:00 PM ET) – The inside story of how the NFL reacted to the crisis of September 11, 2001

Last Day in LA (Wednesday, September 14 at 8:00 PM ET) – Exploring the complex history of football in Los Angeles through the lens of Christmas Eve 1994

Rebirth in New Orleans (Wednesday, September 21 at 8:00 PM ET) – The story of the recovery and grand re-opening of the New Orleans Superdome post-Hurricane Katrina

Night of the Living Steelers (Wednesday, September 28 at 8:00 PM ET) – Legendary zombie filmmaker George A. Romero revisits Pittsburgh and members of the 1970s Super Bowl Steelers

Peyton Manning’s Summer School (Wednesday, October 12 at 8:00 PM ET) – The story of how Peyton Manning prepared for his record-setting 2013 season with exclusive, never before seen access of Manning that spring and summer

0 and 26 (Wednesday, November 23 at 8:00 PM ET) – The story of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and their inspired march to a first win that became as satisfying as any the league has ever seen

There’s Only One America’s Team (Wednesday, November 30 at 8:00 PM ET) – In 1978, NFL Films dubbed the Dallas Cowboys as “America’s Team.” Ever since, no team has become more loved, and possibly more hated

1984 Comeback (Wednesday, December 7 at 8:00 PM ET) – An exploration of what 1980’s “cool” really was and how a team – the Miami Dolphins – came to define the style and substance of the league for years to come

Lombardi’s Redskins (Wednesday, December 14 at 8:00 PM ET) – The story of Vince Lombardi’s one year of coaching in the nation’s capital

The Fog Bowl (Wednesday, December 21 at 8:00 PM ET) – Exploring the 1988 NFC Divisional Round Game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears

On Sunday, August 28, The Timeline episode Peyton Manning’s Summer School airs on NBC at 7:00 PM ET prior to the preseason game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Jacksonville Jaguars, providing a preview of the upcoming season.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:

The Bills just cut their best RB, Karlos Williams. It's surprising as Williams was working off the second season of a cheap rookie contract. He was battling his weight and lost. Despite his upcoming suspension and baggage, someone will claim him. He netted 5.6 yards per carry, that's all a GM needs to know.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The Bills just cut their best RB, Karlos Williams. It's surprising as Williams was working off the second season of a cheap rookie contract. He was battling his weight and lost. Despite his upcoming suspension and baggage, someone will claim him. He netted 5.6 yards per carry, that's all a GM needs to know.

Yeah, apparently his weight had reached Eddie Lacy territory. I agree with you, though, kind of a surprise that they cut him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

Uh oh, very, very bad news for the Patriots:

Quote:
Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer, who has been on PUP with an undisclosed injury, is likely headed to IR, per league source.

Damn, Vollmer was our starting RT. Damn. Cannon and Fleming are major downgrades. Cannon in particular was just terrible last season, he damn well nearly got Brady killed. Though Vollmer could return after the first 6 regular season games, I think this might be it. He hasn't been seen on the practice field, and he's getting up there in age.

Quote:
G Shaq Mason has broken hand, per league source. Timetable for the second-year player's return is unknown at this time.

Damn, there goes our starting RG. He was very, very good at run blocking, and mediocre at pass protection, though he really seemed to have improved in the latter in his first preseason game. The backups are Kline and Karras. Kline is not that good. Karras is a promising rookie, but at this stage Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote:
RB Dion Lewis needs 2d knee surgery, league source confirms. Timetable for his return is uncertain.

Ah, the coup de grâce. This is the absolutely worst news possible. The Patriots have an awful running game, and are starting their first 4 games with a QB who only a few snaps of NFL experience. Ideally, you want to ditch the Brady-type attack: The passing game that sets up the run. With Jimmy Garoppolo, you'll want a running game that he can lean on, and use it to set up the pass.

https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

Hundley looking fine before his injury. I think the Packers are in good shape for when Rodgers hangs it up.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:
Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer, who has been on PUP with an undisclosed injury, is likely headed to IR, per league source.

Damn, Vollmer was our starting RT. Damn. Cannon and Fleming are major downgrades. Cannon in particular was just terrible last season, he damn well nearly got Brady killed. Though Vollmer could return after the first 6 regular season games, I think this might be it. He hasn't been seen on the practice field, and he's getting up there in age.

Quote:
G Shaq Mason has broken hand, per league source. Timetable for the second-year player's return is unknown at this time.

Damn, there goes our starting RG. He was very, very good at run blocking, and mediocre at pass protection, though he really seemed to have improved in the latter in his first preseason game. The backups are Kline and Karras. Kline is not that good. Karras is a promising rookie, but at this stage Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote:
RB Dion Lewis needs 2d knee surgery, league source confirms. Timetable for his return is uncertain.

Ah, the coup de grâce. This is the absolutely worst news possible. The Patriots have an awful running game, and are starting their first 4 games with a QB who only a few snaps of NFL experience. Ideally, you want to ditch the Brady-type attack: The passing game that sets up the run. With Jimmy Garoppolo, you'll want a running game that he can lean on, and use it to set up the pass.

They are pretty fortunate that they have 3 home games in a row after the road game in Arizona in Week 1. If they can win 2 of those 3 and be 2-2 through 4 weeks, I think they will be fine. New England hasn't gotten off to roaring starts in most of the last few seasons, anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gotta have faith in my fellow Panther alum.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/21/nfl-drops-probable-from-injury-report-redefines-questionable-and-doubtful/

Quote:
It’s definite that “probable” no longer will be part of the NFL injury lexicon.

As first noted (as best we can tell) by Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald and as the league office confirms, the widely-misconstrued P-word has been dumped from the injury reporting procedures.

“The ‘Probable’ category was eliminated from the Game Status Report because approximately 95 percent of the players who were listed as ‘Probable’ in prior years did in fact play in the game,” the league explained.

So basically, every player on the NE Cheatriots roster will be listed as Questionable or worse.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow. It's like Christmas came early.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Here's a heartwarming story:

Former Raiders QB Todd Marinovich found naked, booked for pot

For the love of God, please feed your children Big Macs.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I did beer bongs with that dude at a party in Malibu back in '88. It's really sad that he's still stuck in '88.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Karlos Williams cleared waviers. I'm slightly surprised. There are tons of red flags, but I thought there would be at least one GM who would roll the dice on him. His rookie contract was cheap, with very little dead cap hit this season and next. In fact the contract wasn't much more expensive than a rookie deal.

My guess is that someone will sign him to their practice squad contract. His salary will be a fraction of what he was making, and the team will have absolutely no penalty when cutting him, unlike a waiver claim. I'm pretty sure someone will give him a chance.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/colts-agree-to-terms-with-cromartie/
Quote:

Colts agree to terms with Cromartie

The Colts announced Monday night that they’ve agreed to terms with veteran cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

With at least four cornerbacks battling injuries and top cornerback Vontae Davis out at least a couple weeks with an ankle injury, the Colts worked to bring Cromartie in for a workout earlier Monday.

Last month, Cromartie denied rumors that a hip injury may end his career and made it clear that he wanted to continue playing. He started 15 games for the Jets last season, his 10th in the NFL. He’s also played for the Chargers and Cardinals.

Cromartie, 32, is a four-time Pro Bowler and has 31 career interceptions.

Colts Coach Chuck Pagano told reporters Monday that Davis is “week to week” with a medial ankle sprain and Patrick Robinson, the other listed starter, is “day to day” with a groin injury.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I did beer bongs with that dude at a party in Malibu back in '88. It's really sad that he's still stuck in '88.

At his age, I think the drugs probably changed his brain chemistry as well. The only way he'll escape the cycle of addiction is probably death. If theres a lesson to be learned here is that children aren't robots you have to let them live and screw up every now and then, its the only way they'll learn life lessons on their own. And happy meals aren't so bad every now and then if it means they get rewarded for an accomplishment.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/colts-agree-to-terms-with-cromartie/
Quote:

Colts agree to terms with Cromartie

The Colts announced Monday night that they’ve agreed to terms with veteran cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

With at least four cornerbacks battling injuries and top cornerback Vontae Davis out at least a couple weeks with an ankle injury, the Colts worked to bring Cromartie in for a workout earlier Monday.

Last month, Cromartie denied rumors that a hip injury may end his career and made it clear that he wanted to continue playing. He started 15 games for the Jets last season, his 10th in the NFL. He’s also played for the Chargers and Cardinals.

Cromartie, 32, is a four-time Pro Bowler and has 31 career interceptions.

Colts Coach Chuck Pagano told reporters Monday that Davis is “week to week” with a medial ankle sprain and Patrick Robinson, the other listed starter, is “day to day” with a groin injury.

Now he won't have to evict his mom for missing mortgage payments.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

NE just waived C Brian Stork, who was the starting center during SB 49. I've been telling friends that Stork was trade-bait; he had a great rookie year but had trouble with health (concussion, neck injury) and did poorly during the playoffs vs. Denver (he was tipping off pass plays with his head, which is also the fault of the OL coach). Making matters worse, he was thrown out of practice twice for fighting and suffered yet another concussion. My guess is that due to the concussions, Chicago, Miami and others just weren't interested. Stork has an extensive history of concussions dating back to college.

I hope he retires, but I'm sure he won't.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Am I missing something with the Joey Bosa story? I don't see what the kid's endgame is.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Pretty much that was the problem. They tactically wanted to play chicken, but didn't seem to have, or had an exaggerated view of what constituted an acceptable offer. Both sides lose, but everyone's reputation remains intact.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

Amendment: It looks like Washinton will trade for Stork, yielding a conditional seventh round pick. My guess is that the condition is probably set on the number of games he'll either start, play or at least dress.

That NE 2014 draft class is shaping up as a disaster. The only roster lock left is backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo, everyone else has either been purged or is a fringe prospect for the 53 man roster.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Am I missing something with the Joey Bosa story? I don't see what the kid's endgame is.

His dad was a long holdout. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I know the Chargers put out a PR statement today, but to play devil's advocate, the Chargers want him to accept offset language AND deferred payments, and no other top pick has to deal with that. From what I understand, Bosa's camp is willing to accept one of those 2 conditions but not both.

I thought he was a reach at #3 and now they can't even get him signed. Not good.

EDIT: This was posted on Rotoworld shortly after I posted...

According to Profootballk on NBC Sports, Chargers holdout No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa has offered to defer a "significant portion" of his signing bonus to March 2017.

It's the first sign of progress we've seen in weeks though Bosa's surprise peace offering still wasn't enough to close the massive gap that still exists between the two sides. Bosa has been working out in Florida but it's still unclear when we'll see him on a football field again. There's a very real chance this standoff could last into the regular season.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I know the Chargers put out a PR statement today, but to play devil's advocate, the Chargers want him to accept offset language AND deferred payments, and no other top pick has to deal with that. From what I understand, Bosa's camp is willing to accept one of those 2 conditions but not both.

I thought he was a reach at #3 and now they can't even get him signed. Not good.

EDIT: This was posted on Rotoworld shortly after I posted...

According to Profootballk on NBC Sports, Chargers holdout No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa has offered to defer a "significant portion" of his signing bonus to March 2017.

It's the first sign of progress we've seen in weeks though Bosa's surprise peace offering still wasn't enough to close the massive gap that still exists between the two sides. Bosa has been working out in Florida but it's still unclear when we'll see him on a football field again. There's a very real chance this standoff could last into the regular season.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

He was top 5 easily but just a bad fit for the Chargers style though. I do agree with his mom. He should've pulled an Eli and gone elsewhere far away from Dean Spanos.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 18 of 105
Jump to: