Apple rejects U.S. Government's demand to create an iPhone backdoor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Apple was handed a crucial win in its fight for encryption on Monday, as a New York federal judge denied a government All Writs Act-based motion to compel Apple's assistance in bypassing the encryption safeguards of an iPhone linked to a years-old drug case.

Apple Wins One Fight Against Gov
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Apple was handed a crucial win in its fight for encryption on Monday, as a New York federal judge denied a government All Writs Act-based motion to compel Apple's assistance in bypassing the encryption safeguards of an iPhone linked to a years-old drug case.

Apple Wins One Fight Against Gov

Only in America.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

From a legal perspective, that opinion strikes me as rock solid. As the judge puts it:

Quote:
Ultimately, the question to be answered in this matter, and in others like it across the country, is not whether the government should be able to force Apple to help it unlock a specific device; it is instead whether the All Writs Act resolves that issue and many others like it yet to come. For the reasons set forth above, I conclude that it does not.

In a nutshell, this is a question for Congress, not a question for the judiciary to decide based on an old statute that gives generic authority to issue writs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

Good. I'm not a fan of forced compliance.

I do think Apple should help, but if they choose not to, then the government is on their own.

Keep in mind if the government can figure out how to gain entry to the iPhone, then they could conceivably gain entry to any iPhone. I'm fine with that philosophically, so long as there is an appropriate court order (i.e. warrant) for it.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In an affidavit submitted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) last week, an agent spelled out the steps his team took to access the content on the iPhone 5C used by Syed Rizwan Farook,

The FBI's Christopher Pluhar, a supervisory special agent, said that Farook had changed his iCloud password several weeks before the attack, and with the device locked with a four-digit passcode, the FBI's forensics team was unable to get into the iPhone to extract its contents.

The mention of a four-digit passcode was important: If the FBI could circumvent the device's security safeguards, it would be able to "brute force" such a passcode in just hours.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has demanded -- and a federal court has granted the request -- that Apple craft a special version of iOS that would disable the safeguards, then plant the code on Farook's iPhone. Apple has been asked to switch off the auto-destruct feature that wipes the phone after 10 incorrect passcode entries, remove the lengthening delays between each guess, and make it possible for the FBI to electronically bombard the iPhone with passcodes instead of having to manually enter them on the lock screen.

Pluhar added to the government's contention that it did not screw up by changing the password for Farook's employer-controlled iCloud account in an attempt to force the device to back up after the FBI found it in a vehicle used by Farook. By restoring the iCloud backup to other similar iPhones, the FBI acquired the contents of the last backup, which was dated Oct. 19, 2015.

But Farook had changed the iCloud password on Oct. 22. At the same time, he disabled the auto-backup feature of iOS 9.

The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health may not have had the iCloud password for the account Farook used, but it did have the ability to reset the password; it was that password reset that the FBI leveraged to access the Oct. 19 backup to iCloud.

FBI Releases New Information in Affadavit
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

John Oliver: Last Week Tonight

That Apple Ad at the end.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Have the Feds found another way to open the phone?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/feds-move-to-cancel-iphone-hearing-221062
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Was just about to post this. They found a group of hackers or something that allegedly can get in to the phone.

A win-win for everyone. Since this was never about privacy concerns in the first place, we're in a good spot because Apple won't be forced to comply (good), and we will get access to the shooter's phone (also good).

Double win if this outside group is legit.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Always thought it was rather suspicious that they claimed they couldn't hack the phone when they employ cryptographers, mathematicians, computer hackers, etc. These guys have access to the brightest minds in the US and you mean to tell me that they couldn't break the encryption of a measly iphone? Yet, somehow they are able to decrypt information from foreign governments all the time.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Anyone remember when it was illegal to export Netscape Navigators 128 bit encrypted browser? How quaint.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Always thought it was rather suspicious that they claimed they couldn't hack the phone when they employ cryptographers, mathematicians, computer hackers, etc. These guys have access to the brightest minds in the US and you mean to tell me that they couldn't break the encryption of a measly iphone? Yet, somehow they are able to decrypt information from foreign governments all the time.

They're not breaking the encryption. It's not about minds being bright because if the encryption is any good, it wouldn't be susceptible to minds that are bright.

So, Apple used to help the government. No one seemed to mind or even know about it. Apple used to help them get in to iPhones IIRC.

Then at some point, around iOS 8 or 9, they upped the security so even they couldn't break in to it. Then the help stopped.

Bottom line, even Apple can't de-encrypt their own devices. Got it? That's why the feds wanted Apple to build a backdoor. Anyway, all is moot, they may have found someone else to do it. Everyone should be happy now even though this other group, if they can do it, is building a master key of sorts.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I thought it suspicious also. Write a note, burn the paper, give the ashes to Sam, he'll tell you what you wrote.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They're not breaking the encryption. It's not about minds being bright because if the encryption is any good, it wouldn't be susceptible to minds that are bright.

So, Apple used to help the government. No one seemed to mind or even know about it. Apple used to help them get in to iPhones IIRC.

Then at some point, around iOS 8 or 9, they upped the security so even they couldn't break in to it. Then the help stopped.

Bottom line, even Apple can't de-encrypt their own devices. Got it? That's why the feds wanted Apple to build a backdoor. Anyway, all is moot, they may have found someone else to do it. Everyone should be happy now even though this other group, if they can do it, is building a master key of sorts.

Hackers break into "secure" systems all the time.
My bet is somebody found a vulnerability and was able to exploit it to get access to the phone. The irony is that Apple wants to know how they did it now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Ironic twist of fate. The government may have found a group who can get in to the iPhone and now Apple wants to know who and how. Haha

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/apple-wants-to-know-how-the-fbi-will-hack-its-phone/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Ironic twist of fate. The government may have found a group who can get in to the iPhone and now Apple wants to know who and how. Haha

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/apple-wants-to-know-how-the-fbi-will-hack-its-phone/

The worm turns LINK chuckle The thought that locks are for honest people thieves will find a way in comes to mind. Maybe Apple wants to hire the hacker!

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

And .... the third party company has hacked the phone successfully already and the government has the data.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/28/apple-s-encryption-battle-with-the-fbi-is-over-for-now/

Why isn't everyone panicking about master keys?

I think the freedom fighters got tired of this story already. Not even a couple months old! lol. How does one display so much outrage, only to so quickly display so much indifference? The world we live in now?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
And .... the third party company has hacked the phone successfully already and the government has the data.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/28/apple-s-encryption-battle-with-the-fbi-is-over-for-now/

I think the freedom fighters got tired of this story already. Not even a couple months old! lol. How does one display so much outrage, only to so quickly display so much indifference? The world we live in now?

There's always a new cause of the day. Righteous or not, it's hard for the public to stay focused on any one topic when the reality is, as a whole, we go about our business, go to work, pay our bills, try to enjoy what free time we have. When the next hot topic comes along, we (and I am guilty of it too) climb on our soap box, rattle off our concerns, quickly move on to the next issue, rinse/repeat.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Turns out the FBI didn't need to have Apple create a brand new OS. So much for that being he only way. I'm sure we'll hear soon how the data on this phone prevented WW3.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Turns out the FBI didn't need to have Apple create a brand new OS. So much for that being he only way. I'm sure we'll hear soon how the data on this phone prevented WW3.

I thought Apple Iphones were supposed to be hack proof. Geeks will find a way. I've always believed, locks are for honest people, thieves will find a way around them.

Sam put a roadblock on Apple asking for the person and how they did it by claiming it was classified. Talk about irony.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I thought Apple Iphones were supposed to be hack proof. Geeks will find a way. I've always believed, locks are for honest people, thieves will find a way around them.

Sam put a roadblock on Apple asking for the person and how they did it by claiming it was classified. Talk about irony.

Apples were never hack proof. Hacking is all about control, and hackers always went for PC's because they could control a larger number of computers. Now that Apple based computers and phones have a sizable percentage of the market, they are targeted as well.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

One of the theories is to reset the chip. Basically, read the state of the data from the chip. Put it back into the phone and test to see if you have the right passcode. If not, get to 9 or whatever attempts and then reflash the chip to its original state. Attempt again, etc.

There IS NO MASTER KEY. No need for one. The only way around this problem is to not be able to reflash the chip.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

There's always a new cause of the day. Righteous or not, it's hard for the public to stay focused on any one topic when the reality is, as a whole, we go about our business, go to work, pay our bills, try to enjoy what free time we have. When the next hot topic comes along, we (and I am guilty of it too) climb on our soap box, rattle off our concerns, quickly move on to the next issue, rinse/repeat.

Yeah. I do think it interesting that the hooplah involved Apple. And we know how .... irrational people can get about things Apple. I doubt we'd have seen the same reaction had the shooter had a Windows phone. I suppose thats what irks me. Hiding behind issues like "privacy" when it is really just brand fandom.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah. I do think it interesting that the hooplah involved Apple. And we know how .... irrational people can get about things Apple. I doubt we'd have seen the same reaction had the shooter had a Windows phone. I suppose thats what irks me. Hiding behind issues like "privacy" when it is really just brand fandom.

Honestly though, it isn't about brand loyalty, it IS about privacy. At least for me.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject:

Who is this "3rd Party?"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Who is this "3rd Party?"

That's what Apple want's to know. He may have a job waiting at Apple.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: