View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
the association wrote:
in re: ^^^ ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html?utm_term=.395af6550b53

Given the foregoing, haven't we already debunked the wishful thinking by some that Cellebrite played a role in the successful hacking of the San Bernardino device? The revelations above provide ample reason for concern, but for the sheer sake of accuracy, I don't think directly connecting a data dump of Cellebrite files with the heated privacy discussion last year hits the mark ...

My point is valid whether it was a one-off hack or a group of hacks. Eventually they find their way into the wild, which is what made the FBI's remarks (and the government's request) look so ridiculous.

I still don't really find the request that ridiculous. Apple could probably have just physically flashed that one device with a new O/S and called it a day. Instead, they turned it into a brand/PR/marketing opportunity. That said, I'm not in agreement with the idea Apple should be forced to do it.

What's interesting to me though is how people are treating the phone differently than the laptop or the front door. No issues hacking a laptop to get evidence. No issues with the breaking down of a front door so long as a valid warrant is obtained. Do people think the SB shooter is an innocent victim?

If they got evidence from his Macbook, would people be ok with that?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the FBI paid nearly a million dollars to access that iPhone.

http://gizmo.do/aP8TivQ
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Looks like the FBI paid nearly a million dollars to access that iPhone.

http://gizmo.do/aP8TivQ

Probably spent more than that trying to get the courts to force Apple to do it for them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: