Steve Francis Available? Good fit for the Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Steve Francis Available? Good fit for the Lakers?

I havent heard much news about him to the Lakers, but what if we could get him to play the point with kobe in the backcourt. I'd only want to work out a trade if we could keep Lamar with similar offers to that of Artest. Maybe they want Kwame to play with D. Howard in the front court, or could be interested in Slava and George's expiring contracts?

A reasonable trade could be something like Smush Slava and George for Francis. Makes some sense for both teams.

Gives the Lakers a true second option and will allow Lamar to do his thing, and maybe you can move him back in the post with Francis taking the ball up the court. Gives Orlando cap room next year and who doesnt want Slava???

Anyways, Lakers lineup could look something like this:

If we traded kwame:
Mihm, Lamar, George, Kobe, Francis
or
If we traded the others:
Mihm Kwame Lamar Kobe Francis

What do you all think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Good lord no.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

As long as the main player in the deal is DG.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Even if Francis is a complete cancer, if we traded him for crap I'd still do it and at least give it a shot. Though I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Do it. It can't possibly get any worse here.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Just so ya know, there are a couple threads on this since maybe a 4-6
weeks ago when Franchise got his suspension - so ya might be able to
see some reactions there too...

No thanks from me on Franchise. His behavior rap-sheet is nearly as
bad as Artest's if you look all the crap up he's done... except he's not
nearly the talent.

Ball-dominant, score-first PG - not a good fit aside Kobe, IMO.

Throw his attitude problems in there and I'm not sure I'd take him for free.

tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

He's been great since he's come back and taken a lesser offensive role and Orlando has actually played well. Wouldn't know how he would be in a Laker situation unless we saw it ourselves.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Yay, another one of these Steve Francis threads!

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I remember Steve Francis threads from last summer too. The board seemed split, between people who just wanted anything, and people who did not want a cancer on the team.

Ah, those were the days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Good lord no.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I think if we can get him for Kwame+pick or George+ Slava+pick . . . Id do it. If its not a great fit for Kobe, we can always trade him for picks etc. The point is, we've made a series of trades that lower talent. We need to do the opposite now. If Francis finishes the season here with 20/3/7 or something, he will be very valuable in the offseason. Second scoring option is great too. Francis will defer to Kobe.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I'd take him in a heartbeat, problem is we have no one to offer him besides Lamar unless the Magic are insane.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

if they will take a package involving any combination of devean, sasha, slava, cook then yes. if not, then no.
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Take this for what it's worth but here is a quote from an article in a FL paper.

Quote:
Francis, acquired by the Magic in June of 2004 from Houston, has played some of his best basketball in an Orlando uniform since his suspension. In the past 10 games, he's averaged 19.6 points, 7.2 assists and 6.2 rebounds a game. He's scored at least 30 points twice, recorded his career high for assists in a game (15) and had the seventh triple-double of his career last week against Philadelphia.

Francis said his resurgence is due to his work with John Lucas, a former NBA player and head coach. Francis met with Lucas several times while he was away from the team during his suspension and he noted that the two usually talk after each Magic game. Francis said Lucas spliced together a highlight reel of his past play to motivate him.

"I saw an all-star and a guy who doesn't care about statistics," Francis said following Saturday's win against Boston. "I'm slowly maturing as a player and a person. I still learning more every day."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060206/SPORTS/602060329/1002/sports

Bottom line is that we have nothing worth trading other than Lamar, Bynum, and maybe Mihm. The only players we can get without trading any of the 3 are those with serious question marks. Francis still has all star talent. Other than waiting till 2007 or 2008, the only way this team is going to get better is by taking some risks.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:

His style is too similar to kobe's. I don't think Phil would go for it. And Mitch will do what ever Phil wants.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
And Mitch will do what ever Phil wants.

obviously you didn't watch the draft.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Lamar Odom's salary:
2005-2006: $11,465,500
2006-2007: $12,489,000
2007-2008: $13,524,000
2008-2009: $14,559,000

Steve Francis's salary:
2005-2006: $13,770,000
2006-2007: $15,070,000
2007-2008: $16,440,000
2008-2009: $17,180,000

If Francis comes here and it doesn't work the Lakers would never be able to get rid of him. He'd be our version of Stephon Marbury for slightly less money.

bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Lamar Odom's salary:
2005-2006: $11,465,500
2006-2007: $12,489,000
2007-2008: $13,524,000
2008-2009: $14,559,000

Steve Francis's salary:
2005-2006: $13,770,000
2006-2007: $15,070,000
2007-2008: $16,440,000
2008-2009: $17,180,000

If Francis comes here and it doesn't work the Lakers would never be able to get rid of him. He'd be our version of Stephon Marbury for slightly less money.

that is atroscious
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

you know zeke wants him.
gdballa03
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

We should be willing to experiment anything right now. Losing 3 straight, double digit losses at that?!?! He's better than Smush...I say take him...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Well, at this point I'd give Lamar + Slava for him and Mario Kasun
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Would the Lakers be trading Lamar to get him or would they hope that Orlando just bails out for Kwame and George (which actually would work)? If the Lakers trade Odom then they just traded their best rebounder for an undersized shooting guard who's playing the 1 out of position and who gets barely more assists than Lamar did:

Mihm
Kwame
George
Kobe
Francis

Like that? If the Lakers trade Kwame and George they'll have a pretty good starting lineup, but say goodbye to the 2007 plan and say hello to the 2009 plan if the Lakers can't win a title with this lineup:

Mihm
Cook
Lamar
Kobe
Francis

The Laker bench would be ok in the backcourt (where it wouldn't be needed unless there was an injury) and the bench for the frontcourt would be absolutely miserable and woefully thin with Bynum and Walton being the only guys off the bench for Mihm, Cook and Odom. Think that lineup is gonna beat Phoenix when they get Amare back? How bout the Spurs? How bout the Spurs next year when they're actually healthy again? How bout the Pistons? If not, the Lakers will be stuck with that same lineup for the next four seasons relying on late round draft picks and the veteran exception to improve. To me that's not enough to get another ring unless Bynum really does become insanely good in the next 2 years and Kobe, Odom & Francis all get along ok.

sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Would the Lakers be trading Lamar to get him or would they hope that Orlando just bails out for Kwame and George (which actually would work)? If the Lakers trade Odom then they just traded their best rebounder for an undersized shooting guard who's playing the 1 out of position and who gets barely more assists than Lamar did:

Mihm
Kwame
George
Kobe
Francis

Like that? If the Lakers trade Kwame and George they'll have a pretty good starting lineup, but say goodbye to the 2007 plan and say hello to the 2009 plan if the Lakers can't win a title with this lineup:

Mihm
Cook
Lamar
Kobe
Francis

The Laker bench would be ok in the backcourt (where it wouldn't be needed unless there was an injury) and the bench for the frontcourt would be absolutely miserable and woefully thin with Bynum and Walton being the only guys off the bench for Mihm, Cook and Odom. Think that lineup is gonna beat Phoenix when they get Amare back? How bout the Spurs? How bout the Spurs next year when they're actually healthy again? How bout the Pistons? If not, the Lakers will be stuck with that same lineup for the next four seasons relying on late round draft picks and the veteran exception to improve. To me that's not enough to get another ring unless Bynum really does become insanely good in the next 2 years and Kobe, Odom & Francis all get along ok.

Well said / cosign.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

If we could get Steve Francis for our scrubs like DG, Slava, BG's contract...etc I'd take him. He might be decent under the triangle. Since the Triangle he'd be more of a shooting guard which that is the type of player he really is. It would definatley give the Lakers another option of scoring and it would officially put Lamar at his beloved 3rd option scorer. I'd do it on the basis if we don't trade anyone that can actually produce on this team.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Well said / cosign.

Thanks. I just think that even though things are bad now, it is important to keep a couple things in mind:

#1 - Come on, the Lakers weren't gonna win the title this year anyway.
#2 - Winning the title is what is important, not just getting better than they are now.
#3 - It is worth waiting for a couple years if it will bring the Lakers the title rather than just being one of the better teams in the league who always comes up short.

I think a player like Steve Francis is a huge gamble with an extremely slim chance of paying off because he's another guy who is paid way more than he's worth. I don't think he'd be enough to get the Lakers a championship even if they could pick him up off waivers, let alone by trading away pieces for him; and I think he's a guy with a good probability of being a chemistry problem with Kobe (Francis has always been "The Man" on whatever team he's played for). As much as I don't want to see the Lakers stuck as the perennial 2nd or 3rd best team in the West again (late 90's anyone?), I definitely don't want to spend the next half decade continuing to rehash how selfish Kobe is or how Kobe doesn't make his teammates better when Francis comes here and his numbers go down as the Lakers come up short every year.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: