Steve Francis Available? Good fit for the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
If we could get Steve Francis for our scrubs like DG, Slava, BG's contract...etc I'd take him. He might be decent under the triangle. Since the Triangle he'd be more of a shooting guard which that is the type of player he really is. It would definatley give the Lakers another option of scoring and it would officially put Lamar at his beloved 3rd option scorer. I'd do it on the basis if we don't trade anyone that can actually produce on this team.

First off, Brian Grant's contract can't be traded so just accept that the Lakers are gonna be paying him $15 mil a year this year and next year to play for Phoenix and that's the end of that. Second, the Lakers can't just trade scrubs for Francis because of how much Francis makes (trades in the NBA must have the salaries match). If the Lakers didn't trade Lamar, they'd have to trade Kwame, and if they weren't going to do either of those, then this incredible scenario is what they'd have to trade to get Steve Francis:

Steve Francis for
Luke Walton
Brian Cook
Sasha Vujajic
Slava Medvedenko
Aaron McKie
Devean George

If the Lakers did that then the only guys who could come off the bench at either the 4 or 5 would be Bynum and Turiaf (who has never played NBA ball before, keep in mind), Kobe would have to play backup 3 with Odom playing backup 4 and you'd have Green, Smush and Wafer backing up the 1 and 2 spots. Also, the Lakers would need to sign a couple guys off waivers, and you can imagine how good they'd be. What would be more likely is that the lineup would look like this:

Mihm
Odom
Kobe
Francis
Parker

Face it, Francis is not a good fit with the Lakers because he's really expensive and he's not really what the Lakers are looking for. They don't need a guy who is used to being the #1 option on his team.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I really don't care who we trade for; just make a trade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I have to admit, the idea of trading for Francis is intriguing. It seems some team will get him cheap, so why not us, right?

Well first off, there is the question of his "fit" on this team... he is renowned for selfish play, but does have great skill. Is that something Phil could work with? Is that any more difficult than coaching a guy like Odom, who has talent but is UN-selfish, to a fault?

Even if we tried to get Francis, we would have to consider whether we'd try to get him for expiring contracts and perhaps a modicum of talent (Cook, Kwame) and a pick, OR for Odom. OPTION 1: If we go for the former, then, as some have already pointed out, goodbye 2007 plan. So what we have to ask ourselves is this: is Francis a better player than we can hope to get in free agency? If the answer is yes, then you do the trade. If no, then perhaps you still consider...

OPTION 2: we trade Odom... ideally we'd get not only FRancis in this deal, but hopefully Turkoglu as well (or possibly a larger deal bringing us Hill). Hill might be the preferred choice here, since he fits within the 2007 cap plan, but I am not sure we could muster the contracts to trade foir both w/o giving up too much.

Bottom Line: this is a tough call. It is an option that we must explore, but we shouldn't be upset if Mitch & co. decide to tay out of the Francis sweepstakes.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Francis has become more of a team player of late. It seems his ego has been taken down a notch or two, and I could see him taking up a supporting role next to Kobe (yes, really). If his contract wasn't so atrocious I would say give it a shot. Of course, if his contract was more cap-friendly then lots of teams would be willing to give him a shot. I can't see a scenario where Buss/Mitch decides to take on Francis and his horrible K... unless they get Howard back too. We know that isn't happening. But just for fun:

Various Lakers junk plus Bynum

for

Francis and Howard

DOO IT MITCH!!!

Jake Speed, 1986
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I remember Steve Francis threads from last summer too. The board seemed split, between people who just wanted anything, and people who did not want a cancer on the team.

Ah, those were the days.

were?
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
I have to admit, the idea of trading for Francis is intriguing. It seems some team will get him cheap, so why not us, right?

You have to realize, even if the Lakers give up "junk" for Francis, they still wouldn't be getting him "cheap" just because of his monster salary. Good team management is not just about acquiring good pieces but also about getting good bargains. With Francis the Lakers would be giving up good players that we can't even see yet just because they'd price themselves out of any flexibility for the next 4 years. There is no quick fix or shortcut to a championship and the Lakers are more than just one piece away. They're going to have to develop players and make some trades which are steals in more than one way than one or pick some great draftees. A guy with that salary limits the Lakers immensely and essentially says the Lakers are gambling that this is the lineup that's gonna win them titles.

lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I know that it might not work out...but...What if it did? Francis Kobe and Lamar. Showtime could be back in LA!

And lots of people say why would orlando do this?

Well, why did Toronto trade VC to Nj. for nothing?

why did the nugs give up nothing for kmart?

these trades happen all the time...its jus life in the nba. only other offers out there i know of is nene and watson...and why would they want watson for 5 mil and nene who will prolly resign with someone else next yr when they could get kwame at half of francis salary down there or george slava exp. contracts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

francis:

-plays no d
-needs the ball to be effective(ala LO and he cant play well with Kobe half the time)
-is a headcase
-turnover prone
-not a team player

=NO!
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Even if Francis is a complete cancer, if we traded him for crap I'd still do it and at least give it a shot. Though I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Complete Cancer huh???? Let's be real for one second please!! Stevie
is a no-doubt ALL-STAR Talent. Just because he's on Orlando doesnt
mean his talent has diminished. Stevie is missing his boo Cuttino Mobley who just happen to play for the Paper Clips. If traded to the Lakers, they'd be able to recondile their love affair. That said I offer the following scenario

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
14.0 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 39.2 minutes
Kwame Brown
6-11 C from Glynn Academy (HS)
6.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25.8 minutes
Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
6.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 22.3 minutes
Stanislav Medvedenko
6-10 PF from Ukraine (Foreign)
1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 3.5 minutes
Incoming
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
17.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 5.8 apg in 38.1 minutes
Kelvin Cato
6-11 C from Iowa State
3.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.1 apg in 13.0 minutes
Tony Battie
6-11 C from Texas Tech
8.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 26.7 minutes
Change in team outlook: +1.6 ppg, -5.6 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
Kelvin Cato
6-11 C from Iowa State
3.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.1 apg in 13.0 minutes
Tony Battie
6-11 C from Texas Tech
Incoming
Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
14.0 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 39.2 minutes
Kwame Brown
Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
Stanislav Medvedenko
Change in team outlook: -1.6 ppg, +5.6 rpg, and +1.3 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to L.A. Lakers and Orlando being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Orlando had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

PG-Stevie Franchise
SG-The Great #8
SF-Puke Walton(jeez)
PF-Battie
C-Cato

Orlando not to shabby either

PG-Jameer Nelson/Dooling
SG-Stevenson/Hedo
SF-LO/Hedo
PF-D Howard/LO
C-Kwame/D Howard
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

If we don't have to give up Kobe or Lamar, why not trade for him?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Purplereign34 wrote:
francis:

-plays no d
-needs the ball to be effective(ala LO and he cant play well with Kobe half the time)
-is a headcase
-turnover prone
-not a team player

=NO!

They say the same thing about all great players, even Kobe Bryant. He may want the ball alot to take alot of shots but we need that second option, and he's flat out a better shooter then Odom. HE WOULD PLAY SECOND FIDDLE to Kobe...Who else scores 81 a game? I mean even Francis knows this is Kobe's team. I would trade Lamar anyday.

Francis 20pt/Smush
Kobe 33pt?Vujacic
George/Anybody but Puke Walton
Kwame/Turiaf
Mihm/Bynum
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
I know that it might not work out...but...What if it did? Francis Kobe and Lamar. Showtime could be back in LA!

And lots of people say why would orlando do this?

Well, why did Toronto trade VC to Nj. for nothing?

why did the nugs give up nothing for kmart?

these trades happen all the time...its jus life in the nba. only other offers out there i know of is nene and watson...and why would they want watson for 5 mil and nene who will prolly resign with someone else next yr when they could get kwame at half of francis salary down there or george slava exp. contracts

Let 's say the Lakers got Francis really for nothing (which, of course, is impossible). Compare that team to the Pistons:

Kobe/Francis vs. Hamilton/Billups
Edge to the Lakers, but not by a whole lot. Both squads would be working a lot on both ends of the floor.

Lamar vs. Prince
Edge to the Lakers, but once again, not by much.

Sheed/Big Ben vs. Mihm/Kwame
Are you kidding me? Mihm & Kwame get demolished.

Bench
Same as now except that Smush comes off the bench. Still huge edge to Pistons.

Showtime would be back in LA, eh? Would the Lakers really stand a chance against the Pistons? I doubt it. How bout against the Suns with Amare? LA would have the advantage at one position out of the starting 5 and the Suns would have the edge at the other 4. And the Suns would have a better bench. What about the Spurs? Parker and Ginobili would be pretty close to as good as Francis and Kobe, and the Spurs would own the Lakers frontcourt, and once again, the Spurs bench would demolish the Lakers. So what would be the point in trading for Francis? Just so the Lakers can make it to the second round of the playoffs? What would be the point?

Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
If we don't have to give up Kobe or Lamar, why not trade for him?

Ok Ok we gotta keep LO so what about this one

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kwame Brown
Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
Stanislav Medvedenko
Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
0.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 8.1 minutes
Incoming
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
Tony Battie
6-11 C from Texas Tech
Change in team outlook: +11.5 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and +3.3 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
Tony Battie
6-11 C from Texas Tech
Incoming
Kwame Brown
Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
Stanislav Medvedenko
Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
0.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 8.1 minutes
Change in team outlook: -11.5 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and -3.3 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to L.A. Lakers and Orlando being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Orlando had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

PG-Stevie Franchise
SG- The Great # *
SF-LO
PF-Cook/Battie
C-Mihm

BRILLIANT!!
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I can't see this guy working effectively alongside Kobe. I just don't see it.
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
I can't see this guy working effectively alongside Kobe. I just don't see it.

If you cant see it...then you're not looking hard enough Ray Charles
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

All depends on which Francis we get. Is it 1)the low BB IQ selfish chucker who needs the ball all the time, or 2)this new Nash wannabe who figured the game out after hanging w/ John 'yoda' Lucas.
If he really is willing to play a team game then by all means grab him, but if he truly has been 'enlightened' then Orlando would be stupid to get rid of him.
Personally, I take Francis and Garrity for Odom, Slava, and McKie at this point and keep the '07 plan in tact. He has a huge potential upside that we know Odom doesn't and worse case scenario, we've got another Odom but just in a different position.
Cato and Battie are both FAs after this year and do us no good. Because of this they may very well want Kwame and George for Francis, which is fine by me. If it's not working out we can trade Odom next year for an expiring contract and be right back on track w/ the '07 plan.
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

^^^^I like your thinking Smel.

LOL at John "Yoda" Lucas comment
Damn I wish we could get a healthy Grant Hill!!
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Screw the 2007 plan or whatever plan there is. If we can get somehow get Francis by a miracle without trading our core younsters, he could help us be a contender. Kobe's prime wouldnt be wasted as we have a chance to contend this year! If only miracles happen.
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Francis is basically Smush Parker x 10. This man is more athletic, quicker, has a jumper, and can dunk with AUTHORITAY. I'd say he defends just about as good as Smush, if not better.

If we kept Odom, which would be preferred, Francis wouldn't play point anyway. He'd be the 2-guard. Spot up for open jumpers, or he could fake the jumper (no one else on this team pump fakes, but Kobe), and take it to the rim.

Francis is a significant talent upgrade to any of our guards not named Kobe. If all it costs is Kwame and George, and maybe a pick, I'd do it.

This however forces us to forego the 2007 plan, unless we trade both Franics and Odom for maybe...... KG!
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

KG ain't going anywhere. They just won in Phoenix. Banks was on fire again.
Francis didn't do crap tonight in a bad loss to Washington.
We can always trade Odom for expiring contracts to get back under the cap.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Kobina returns wrote:
Screw the 2007 plan or whatever plan there is. If we can get somehow get Francis by a miracle without trading our core younsters, he could help us be a contender. Kobe's prime wouldnt be wasted as we have a chance to contend this year! If only miracles happen.

nets got vince carter for who???

nugs got kmart for who???

maybe we can be one of these teams that get francis for nothing...after all, we have some things orlando wants...expiring contracts, a lil size, and they want to deal him west like they did tmac...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
daniel80111
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
Kobina returns wrote:

maybe we can be one of these teams that get francis for nothing...after all, we have some things orlando wants...expiring contracts, a lil size, and they want to deal him west like they did tmac...

Lakersdynasty you're an idiot...you wanted Chris Bosh over Lebron James, Larry Brown over Phil Jackson, Lamar Odom over Ron Artest, and now Stevie "I ruin Franchises" over a player deserving of the max in 07. I am ashamed to be your roommate and wish to never talk to you if you ever bring up Steve Francis' name in this apartment again. Plus, Kmart is real deserving of the max... :roll: Oh yeah, start thinking before you talk...Kmart got traded for 3 first round picks GENIUS...I'm gonna leg drop you tonite while you're sleeping. PS I HATE YOU.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

daniel80111 wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:
Kobina returns wrote:

Lakersdynasty you're an idiot...you wanted Chris Bosh over Lebron James, Larry Brown over Phil Jackson, Lamar Odom over Ron Artest, and now Stevie "I ruin Franchises" over a player deserving of the max in 07. I am ashamed to be your roommate and wish to never talk to you if you ever bring up Steve Francis' name in this apartment again. Plus, Kmart is real deserving of the max... :roll: Oh yeah, start thinking before you talk...Kmart got traded for 3 first round picks GENIUS...I'm gonna leg drop you tonite while you're sleeping. PS I HATE YOU.

oh yeah...real bad move trading away 3 draft picks...denver thought with kmart that would put them over the top and make them contenders...contenders have bad draft picks...so trading the 27th or so overall pick three times is awful isnt it...like trading luke walton brian cook and sasha for kenyon martin...good call daniel...great call!
daniel80111
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
daniel80111 wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:
Kobina returns wrote:

oh yeah...real bad move trading away 3 draft picks...denver thought with kmart that would put them over the top and make them contenders...contenders have bad draft picks...so trading the 27th or so overall pick three times is awful isnt it...like trading luke walton brian cook and sasha for kenyon martin...good call daniel...great call!

haha contenders??? you dont know anything about the Nuggets!!! I'm from Denver idiot, remember? Nuggets made the 8th seed, and adding KMart would have made them contenders?? They went 43-39 the season before they got KMart and got the 8th seed. Once again your stupidity shines over all. We're all dumber now for reading your posts...and may God have mercy on your soul.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

daniel80111 wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:
daniel80111 wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:
Kobina returns wrote:

haha contenders??? you dont know anything about the Nuggets!!! I'm from Denver idiot, remember? Nuggets made the 8th seed, and adding KMart would have made them contenders?? They went 43-39 the season before they got KMart and got the 8th seed. Once again your stupidity shines over all. We're all dumber now for reading your posts...and may God have mercy on your soul.

Hey guys, is your makeup sex intense or what?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: