Realistic Free Agency

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Realistic Free Agency

Obviously it would be great to land either Harrison Barnes, Demarr DeRozan, Al Horford or a real pipe dream like Andre Drummond or Kevin Durrant...

But in reality I do believe the Lakers have a good, actually better than good shot at landing a top free agent and offering them the max. IMO our main point of focus should be to get back at the Heat from Nabbing Shaq years ago and go after their Big Man in the Middle Hassan Whiteside.

Whiteside is exactly what this team needs in a center, Young, Athletic can provide a post presence and play DEFENSE!!! He would fit in well with our young core, making us a better team instantly; maybe not a playoff caliber team, but a more competitive team next year!.

Chandler Parsons would also be a good fit for this Lakers team to round out either the starting five, or come in off of the bench to provide some scoring punch. I say off of the bench because I truly believe that Ben Simmons will be the Starting Small Forward for the Lakers next season and we will roll all out with our young guns.

Brandon Jennings should also be a target for the Lakers. He loves LA and the team, he's from Compton CA. He's not the player he was after the injury, but if we can keep Lou Will, he and Jennings off of the Bench would be a great second combo, to fill in for the young guns in Russell and Clarkson. Somewhat redundant, but it could work and would solidify our Guard rotation for a few years.

The objective for the Lakers should be to become better defensively and have a versatile rotation. Truth be told I like Brandon Bass and what he brings to our team on both ends of the floor not to mention a solid vet presence in the Locker room. It would be good to keep him next season to usher in his LSU family in Simmons... Bass can play that Dramond Green role for the Lakers in stints, he doesn't have the 3-ball like Dramond, but he's big and versatile enough to cover many positions and give Whiteside a breather!

A realistic look at the Lakers Next Season:

Russell + Clarkson + Simmons + Randle + Whiteside
Jennings + Williams + Parsons + Nance Jr. + Bass
Huertas + Brown + Black

Players out: Kelly + Sacre + Young + MWP + Hibbert
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I was just going to make a similar so I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on what you started(?)

I was going to ask that people look at the Free Agent list here:
http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/05/nba-free-agency-2016-the-top-players/

And put together a realistic team. I did not take into account the next Draft Pick as there is still a chance that it will be lost...

We already seemingly have PG (Russel) SG (Clarkson) and PF (Randle) covered, meaning besides more experienced BIGS off the bench, we need a starting "C" and "SF".

Whiteside would be a great fit, would rather have Drummond, but since he is restricted the best Mitch could do is offer a huge max. contract and hope Detroit doesn't match OR hope that Drummond only signs a one-year deal and becomes unrestricted in 2017.

As for a SF, I would not go for Parsons, I would target DeRozan if he opts out or Batum who is averaging: 14.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 5.5 apg.

Next are two other things you need to consider, first love Russel, but he is ONLY averaging 3.5 assists and that is too low for a true PG. So I would still consider signing Rondo, who is averaging a very respectable 11.9 ppg, 12.1 apg, 6.4 rpg.

If Clarkson stays he could slide up to SF or if he leaves, you could slide Russell over to SG, which is more of what he is anyway!

I am fine letting the following players move on: Kelly, Sacre, Young, MWP, Hibbert, Black & Huertas

And adding more veteran depth and all of these guys are making low amounts of money: C= Zaza Pachulia (9.8 ppg, 10.5 rpg), C = Festus Ezeli (7.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg), even either of the "Al's" would help Horford or Jeffereson.

The current Lakers are just too porous in the middle.

PG: Rondo, Russell
SG: Clarkson, Williams
SF: Batum, ??
PF: Randle, Bass, Nance +???
C: Whiteside, (Jefferson or Pachulia)

I would love to hear other people plans for next year...
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
As for a SF, I would not go for Parsons, I would target DeRozan if he opts out or Batum who is averaging: 14.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 5.5 apg.

Next are two other things you need to consider, first love Russel, but he is ONLY averaging 3.5 assists and that is too low for a true PG. So I would still consider signing Rondo, who is averaging a very respectable 11.9 ppg, 12.1 apg, 6.4 rpg...

I think Parsons might make a better fit for us, because he can spread the floor well. As much as I'd like to have DeRozan, I just don't see Toronto letting him slip away, but anything is possible. I believe our targets will be "Unrestricted" free agents, those whom we have a better chance of luring because of our talent.
Rondo sounds great, but I somewhat disagree with the knock on Russell..Even though his assists number are low he's still the most viable option at that spot for the Lakers. Once we have a certifiable Front Court in Randle, Simmons (Fingers Crossed) and Whiteside (Hopeful), Russell and Clarkson will get more Assists. I wouldn't mind going after Rondo, but I truly think it's a waste because he seems to have found a home and chemistry with Cousins in SacTown.

I truly like the Batum Idea, he would be a great wing fit for us also, because he's more defensive minded!
I'm hoping the Lakers make a splash this off season both in the Draft and Free Agency. If the pick isn't Simmons IMO then I believe we should trade it for A young ALL STAR PLAYER! I don't like Ingram enough to take him at #2 or #3.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

Batum is going to command 25m. Not sure the Lakers will want to fork that over for a 3rd/4th option.

Parsons is nice as he's a 21-22m max, but his back/knees worry me. Plus, Dallas has a good grip on him too.

So I guess in this "realistic" thread, say no KD/DRoz/Batum/Parsons, what next?

Yikes.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

I figure that the Lakers must obtain talent and they'll have to pay a premium at whichever talent level they seek for it.

Either pick up a solid prospect for the Pure Three Man slot (Brown, Ingram, Simmons) in the lottery, or go for one of the three or four best small forwards available in the FA market this Summer. Barnes is essentially the third option at GSW and Batum the second option with CHO; what better quality are we thinking we could get at this point ?

I like Barnes for value, as well as for health, youth, balanced game, length, hops, and shooting efficiency. He doesn't demand the ball so I like him here during rebuilding more than DeRozan for what would certainly be much close to max money. Don't know if Barnes would actually sign here, so the risk assessment of the offer probably plays into it in ways I'm not measuring.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Batum is going to command 25m. Not sure the Lakers will want to fork that over for a 3rd/4th option.

Parsons is nice as he's a 21-22m max, but his back/knees worry me. Plus, Dallas has a good grip on him too.

Yikes.

If Batum were added to this team he would be a 2nd option at worst.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yikes.

Who is our 1st option? And if it's JC, I don't think that's enough to sniff the playoffs in the West. Not sure DLO is ready for the #1 option just yet. I think Batum is really a 3rd option sort of player optimally speaking. If the Lakers are cool with dropping 25m for that, then so be it. He's in my list of desired wings, but not at 25m.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

I don't understand why Batum is going to get a max contract. He's basically Shane Battier.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yikes.

Who is our 1st option? And if it's JC, I don't think that's enough to sniff the playoffs in the West. Not sure DLO is ready for the #1 option just yet. I think Batum is really a 3rd option sort of player optimally speaking. If the Lakers are cool with dropping 25m for that, then so be it. He's in my list of desired wings, but not at 25m.

I would hope it would be DeRozan.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I don't understand why Batum is going to get a max contract. He's basically Shane Battier.

I agree, I don't think he will get that big of a Max, but maybe something with multiple years to lock his $$ in long term...

I would like to see the Lakers focus on some Defensive minded Wing players, he could easily be one of them. I think he still has a few good years ahead of him, but I'm sure we've seen his best. Compliment will be the most impact for next season, the Young Guns are starting to Gel and it could bode really well for this Franchise next season if all of them stay especially Clarkson.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

All we need to understand is that there will be around 25 teams with at least one max slot and maybe 3-4 players who are legit max players. Those other 21-22 teams will have to spend those max slots, so guys who normally wouldn't be max players will be getting max contracts.
MoriArty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

He's a 27 year-old 3 and D wing that fits exactly with our team's needs. He's a swiss army knife that can score, pass, shoot some and defend. The Battier comparison isn't spot on because Nic is a better scorer and passer by far, but he fits the same role as a wing defender and "glue guy". The max contracts are being tossed about now because the salary cap went way up and the pay scale is skewed, but he's worth at least a 17m/year deal for sure. We'll have to overpay a few guys this summer because of who we are as a brand and the position we're in.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Realistic? ...........no

Possible?............YES!

Lebron = $26mil
Durant = $26mil
Whiteside = $10mil
Rondo = MLE

Draft = Ingram

C = Whiteside/Black
PF = Lebron/ Randle
SF = Durant/Ingram
SG = Clarkson/Williams
PG = Russel/Rondo

Future = Awesome
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

Durant: 26 Million
Hibbert: 9 Million 1 year
Rondo 15 Million
Torrance Jones foe 10 Million

Russell, Clarkson and Williams for Russell Westbrook

At the trade deadline we trade Simmons, Hibbert and Randle for Cousins

Minimum deals; Huertas, Black, Sacre:
Post trade deadline roster.

Rondo/Huertas
Westbrook/Joe Smoe/Young
Durant/Brown/Young
Bass/Jones/Nance
Cousins/Sacre/Black

Or
Sign Whiteside, Deng, Ingram, Sacreand Patrick Beverly

Russell/Beverly/Clarskon
Clarkson/Williams/Russell
Deng/Ingram/Brown
Randle/Bass/Nance
Whiteside/Sacre/Black
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Durant is obviously the dream scenario, but I highly doubt it happens.

That being said I want to get Whiteside at C and 1 of (in order) Barnes, Batum, Parsons at SF.

Assuming we keep top 3 pick, take Simmons/Ingram/Dunn/Brown.

#32 take GPII/Kay Felder

Resign Huertas 1 yr, QO Black, Take a chance 1 yr deal M. Beasley, Resign Sacre 1 yr (legit 7 foot practice body, good teammate)

Whiteside/Black/Sacre
Randle/Nance/Beasley
Simmons or Ingram/Barnes/Brown
Clarkson/Sweet Lou/Swaggy P
Russell/Huertas/Felder or GPII

Whether or not it's a playoff team, I don't know. It will depend on the development of our young guns. But they damn sure will be much more competiteve.

Oh and a new coach wouldn't hurt
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

The Lakers currently have a good core with Russell, Randle and Clarkson, if you add Nance Jr. to that mix, that's a really good rotation, for next year!

I look at it like this, even with a Top 3 Draft pick we are at least 2 years away from seriously competing for a title. Are our core players enough to lure a Superstar free Agent? Probably so, but then the question becomes, Is our front office strong enough to lure a Superstar Player and that answer is more than likely NO!

With that being said, I believe we lack the tools to get a Player like Durant on this team. I think a second tier All Star player is possible like DeRozan, or Whiteside.

Often times we place our expectations too high and when we fall short it's devastating and takes a while for us to recover.

Hope for a top three Draft Spot, Simmons, Ingram should be the main targets anything after that is trade bait!
Build them into the core and hope for two solid NBA free agents and call it a day! To me that's realistic expectations!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I would keep Russell, Randle, and Clarkson as the core, Nance looks like a possible quality rotation player for the bench. We need starting SF and a C.

Realistic options I think are Derozan at SF. Plan B might have to be guys like Rudy Gay, Matt Barnes, or Simmons out of the draft.

Whiteside is intriguing as a C/big man but there are warning flags with Him, would we offer a big deal - even a max deal for Him? I don't know, seems pricey, but then a lot of guys who are not what I'd consider max players are going to get max deals.

For me, max deals should be for your basic 20 points and 10 (boards or assists) guys - guys who get serious consideration for all star weekend, trying out for the Olympic team, guys who win playoff games, that's a true max player. But with all this cash available, a lot of 15 point and "7" guys who are 3-7th best guys on the team are going to get some max deals.

Talk is the Bulls may let Gasol go - I know he wants another shot at a ring, could see Him in New York or Dallas - I wonder if he might be a plan B option for us if we strike out on Whiteside?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I would keep Russell, Randle, and Clarkson as the core, Nance looks like a possible quality rotation player for the bench. We need starting SF and a C.

Realistic options I think are Derozan at SF. Plan B might have to be guys like Rudy Gay, Matt Barnes, or Simmons out of the draft.

Whiteside is intriguing as a C/big man but there are warning flags with Him, would we offer a big deal - even a max deal for Him? I don't know, seems pricey, but then a lot of guys who are not what I'd consider max players are going to get max deals.

For me, max deals should be for your basic 20 points and 10 (boards or assists) guys - guys who get serious consideration for all star weekend, trying out for the Olympic team, guys who win playoff games, that's a true max player. But with all this cash available, a lot of 15 point and "7" guys who are 3-7th best guys on the team are going to get some max deals.

Talk is the Bulls may let Gasol go
- I know he wants another shot at a ring, could see Him in New York or Dallas - I wonder if he might be a plan B option for us if we strike out on Whiteside?

I had read that Pau has a player option, so it would be him choosing to leave rather than the Bulls letting him go.

Sources: Pau Gasol finalizing $22M deal with Bulls

Quote:
Free-agent forward Pau Gasol is finalizing a three-year, $22 million-plus contract with the Chicago Bulls, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Gasol, 34, will hold a player option on the third year of the deal, sources told Yahoo Sports.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Whiteside is 26, 7-0 and 265lbs

3rd year in the NBA, with averages of 14.1ppg, 11.8 rpg with FG% of 61.4%.

He is averaging 29.1 minutes.

My concerns are the minutes and the fact that he comes in off the bench.

Lakers have a lot of money and no takers, I have no problem offering near-max money, assuming Durant and James are not interested!

He is young and could grow with the other core players..
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Durantulla/Russell
Larry Nance jr / Randle /Any Center combo PF in the draft..

I liked the bench play from Huertas, Clarkson and Black

Check out this Russian monster

Andrey Desyatnikov Russia - C 7-3 230
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Sign Derozan ($25 mil), Biyombo ($14 mil) and Solomon Hill ($8 mil).
Laker madman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

No doubt Luke will follow the Warrior model and look for versatile players that can do a bunch of things like iguodala, Livingston, Speights....so while everyone is looking at KD, Derozan and Whiteside I'll be hoping we pick up Joakim Noah, Evan Turner and Ryan Anderson
Professor
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Free Agents That Would Help Us

These are the free agents that could really help us next year. I listed them in order of preference.

SF: Kevin Durant, OKC
SF: Evan Fournier, Orlando
SF: Nicolas Batum, Charlotte
SF: Harrison Barnes, GS
SF: Chandler Parsons, Dallas
SF: Evan Turner, Boston

C: Andre Drummond, Detroit
C: Hassan Whiteside, Miami
C: Festus Ezeli, GS
C: Joakim Noah, Chicago

If we can get Durant and Whiteside, I would be ecstatic. I would be really happy with Ezeli and Fournier.

Get any of these 2 free agents plus sign Derozan and draft Ingram, would be a perfect summer. It will have me waiting for next season to start!

Realistic Potential Lineup next season:

PG: Russell/Williams
SG: Derozan/Clarkson
SF: Fournier/Ingram
PF: Randle/Nance
C: Whiteside/2nd Rd Pick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: