Best Sports Pub to watch the Lakers Game.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Best Sports Pub to watch the Lakers Game.

I live in South County but grew up in IE. Until this day whenever I get a chance, I would make the drive just to go and catch games at this sports bar in Rancho Cucamonga called "The Beer Hunter". It's right off the 15 & Foothill, next to Wal-Mart.

Environment is great. Guys go there to watch the games, not to socialize or pretend like they care about the game. Food is relatively cheap but the serving is great. I work here in Irvine, right across the street from Fox Sports Grill. I tell you, sometimes when I work late and don't feel like going home to catch the game, I would walk across the street and catch the game there. I'm telling you, it would piss me off when I look around and see just about everyone there chatting away and could care less about the game. Then you get the occasional cheer when Kobe scores. Sometimes sitting in the bar, I overhear questions like, "Who's that white kid playing for the Lakers?" (referring to sasha)

Anyways, would like to hear from the rest of you especially guys in OC if you know any REAL SPORTS BAR, where serious fans go to watch the games.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Sports Pub to watch the Lakers Game.

iam wrote:
I live in South County but grew up in IE. Until this day whenever I get a chance, I would make the drive just to go and catch games at this sports bar in Rancho Cucamonga called "The Beer Hunter". It's right off the 15 & Foothill, next to Wal-Mart.

Environment is great. Guys go there to watch the games, not to socialize or pretend like they care about the game. Food is relatively cheap but the serving is great. I work here in Irvine, right across the street from Fox Sports Grill. I tell you, sometimes when I work late and don't feel like going home to catch the game, I would walk across the street and catch the game there. I'm telling you, it would piss me off when I look around and see just about everyone there chatting away and could care less about the game. Then you get the occasional cheer when Kobe scores. Sometimes sitting in the bar, I overhear questions like, "Who's that white kid playing for the Lakers?" (referring to sasha)

Anyways, would like to hear from the rest of you especially guys in OC if you know any REAL SPORTS BAR, where serious fans go to watch the games.

Right up Irvine Center/Moulton from where you work, where Moulton crosses Ridge Route, there's a place called Players. It's a sports bar with an actual menu too (not just typical sports bar food). Fox seems to be a place where a lot of the corporate world goes for happy hour, to talk business & sales, and maybe comment on the game in the background every now and then.

At least once, give Players a try.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Sports Pub to watch the Lakers Game.

iam wrote:

Your apartment/home coupled with a six pack of beer.

Best "pub" in town!!!!

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Sports Pub to watch the Lakers Game.

LkrsOvrMia wrote:
iam wrote:

Your apartment/home coupled with a six pack of beer.

Best "pub" in town!!!!

Go Lakers!

Exactly...

Only I make it a 12-pack and a fifth of Southern Comfort

Then I add my best bud, a huge Suns fan, so we can yabber about different loyalties
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

dublins in sunny santa barbara california.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Staples Center!
Cut La Rock
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
dublins in sunny santa barbara california.

Ahhhh.....takes me back to my UCSB days. Dublins rules.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Here's a coincidence... I grew up in Rancho Cucamonga and now live in Santa Barbara... I never heard of The Beer Hunter, but I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area. As for Dublin's... are you talking about the podunk bar in IV? I prefer going either to Woodstock's or Woody's... though staying home is always the best way to watch.
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I agree... I watch 90% of the games at home, but sometimes you just need to among the Laker's brotherhood and slap some five's and hear other people yell & scream.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Oh yes, but I have to say that there once was a place to watch games that rivaled even the Forum (yes this was back in the day).

A restaurant called Barboni's in Alta Loma (Rancho Cucamonga).

And I have to say that the best thing about that place was not the food nor the large screen TV, though both were just fine... but instead this one fan named Ken (my friends and I took to calling him the Barboni Guy before we learned his name). Anyway, the Barboni Guy was so intense and excited about the game, that he turned the whole place into a virtual stadium.

Game nights the place was packed and everybody was watching the game. The restaurant kept the sound turned low, so the Barboni Guy would bring in his own radio, tune it to Chick & Stew, and place it on a center table surrounded by a shrine of Laker memorabilia. The Barboni Guy was so intense that he stood the entire game, only taking a seat for time-outs and half-time (when he would make the rounds, going table to table to drink various customers' beer). Indeed, the Barboni Guy is the greatest Laker fan I have ever known. He taped every game and would "review" game tape before important matches. When Nick the Quick dropped a 3, the Barboni Guy would simulate the upper-cuts along with him. And in playoff games, he would have the whole restaurant chanting "De-Fense!!! De-Fense!!!"

Ah, the good ole days... I don't know where the Barboni Guy is now, but wherever a Laker game is shown, you know his spirit can't be far.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

vlade-

we're talking about the podunk bar in IV. sure it's never fully stocked, the owner is neglegent, and they're always out of food. but they do have nba league pass, and heineken/newcastle on tap.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
vlade-

we're talking about the podunk bar in IV. sure it's never fully stocked, the owner is neglegent, and they're always out of food. but they do have nba league pass, and heineken/newcastle on tap.

good enough then!
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Staples Center!

Upper section lower section sucks noone is into the game
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
msb212 wrote:
Staples Center!

I beg to differ...I sit in the front row, and I go NUTS.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
msb212 wrote:
Staples Center!

Agreed - section 106. Although I do miss the good old days - seems like a long time ago,
KobeFTW
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

my 55" plasma and my protein drink
Tracy McGrady, the player closest to matching Kobe in pure individual ability, was 'no picnic to deal with either. I heard that every time someone says 'get back on defense,' his back hurts. "the last season'-Phil Jackson
Dylandogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Podunk bar? Where is that. What happened to "The Graduate"(old BofA)? Pizza Bobs? Please tell me "Sam's to go" is still there? I watched Magic beat the celtics at San Nic dorms. Ah, memories.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Dylandogg wrote:
Podunk bar? Where is that. What happened to "The Graduate"(old BofA)? Pizza Bobs? Please tell me "Sam's to go" is still there? I watched Magic beat the celtics at San Nic dorms. Ah, memories.

sams to go still there. dont' know about the other two. what year you graduate?
Dylandogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject:

[quote=

sams to go still there. dont' know about the other two. what year you graduate?[/quote]

I started in 82. But I was a ski bum for a year, went to Europe for a year, and spent to many nites hitting the keggers on DP that I graduated in 90.

I can't remember the street names but pizza bobs was diagonal to free birds(if that is still there).Embarco del mar and ?(started w/ a "P", street Sam's is on)
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Freebirds still here... and yum!

Pizza Bob's is Dublin's now, I guess...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

yeah diagonal to freebirds would make it dublins now. it's a cool bar...good atmosphere. was the study hall there when you guys lived here?

you'll have to tell me some halloween stories sometime from the 80s. nowadays its like martial law and the city gets locked down.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
msb212 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
msb212 wrote:
Staples Center!

Agreed - section 106. Although I do miss the good old days - seems like a long time ago,

upper level is where its at! sec 303
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Dylandogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
yeah diagonal to freebirds would make it dublins now. it's a cool bar...good atmosphere. was the study hall there when you guys lived here?

you'll have to tell me some halloween stories sometime from the 80s. nowadays its like martial law and the city gets locked down.

I don't recall a "Study Hall". Halloween was incredible. About my third year they started bussing in cops to maintain things. They even took away our "one day liquor license" Damn them!!! But better than that was the time we came from behind to beat UNLV in the last 20 seconds at the E-center. This was when UNLV was top ranked. People poured on to DP and the party was on. Some guys started burning old couches (which were easily found) and had huge bonfires. Later a pretty good cover group went by the name "burning couches". I'd tell you more but my memory is a little cloudy for some reason. as I recall I woke up the next morning on the floor of some girls apartment and the beer goggles must have been in full effect the nite before.

By the way, B Shaw was there when I was there. He was a big deal back then.

Last edited by Dylandogg on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Achilles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
Oh yes, but I have to say that there once was a place to watch games that rivaled even the Forum (yes this was back in the day).

A restaurant called Barboni's in Alta Loma (Rancho Cucamonga).

And I have to say that the best thing about that place was not the food nor the large screen TV, though both were just fine... but instead this one fan named Ken (my friends and I took to calling him the Barboni Guy before we learned his name). Anyway, the Barboni Guy was so intense and excited about the game, that he turned the whole place into a virtual stadium.

Game nights the place was packed and everybody was watching the game. The restaurant kept the sound turned low, so the Barboni Guy would bring in his own radio, tune it to Chick & Stew, and place it on a center table surrounded by a shrine of Laker memorabilia. The Barboni Guy was so intense that he stood the entire game, only taking a seat for time-outs and half-time (when he would make the rounds, going table to table to drink various customers' beer). Indeed, the Barboni Guy is the greatest Laker fan I have ever known. He taped every game and would "review" game tape before important matches. When Nick the Quick dropped a 3, the Barboni Guy would simulate the upper-cuts along with him. And in playoff games, he would have the whole restaurant chanting "De-Fense!!! De-Fense!!!"

Ah, the good ole days... I don't know where the Barboni Guy is now, but wherever a Laker game is shown, you know his spirit can't be far.

And thus, the legend of "The Barboni Guy: Most Intense Lakers Fan Ever" was born....

(I loved that post)
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Off the 91 and Glassel in Orange is a place called The Press Box, its a junky place and there can be an interesting crowd, but its always full of real fans for all the big Lakers games.

I still remember watching the Fisher shot there:

Im with my friend (HUGE Laker hater) and the place is packed, there are people without any seats and as the game gets tense towards the end we stop talking to each other, then Duncan hits his miracle shot and I get so upset I go outside to the patio, certain that we lost.

A guy outside asks me, "is .4 seconds enough time to shoot?" , I say "ya, I think legally you can catch and shoot"...thinking in my head, Whats the point? we lost.

Then all hell (heaven) breaks loose, Fisher's shot falls and I leap straight up in the air and hug that guy outside and then run inside for more hugs from strangers and see my empty chair thrown on the ground (Laker hating friend).

A girl that was randomly wearing a Fisher jersey got mobbed by the whole bar and my friend left in his own car without speaking to me (its cool now of course).

The Press Box isnt for everybody but it now holds a special place in my heart thanks to D Fish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: