Ronny Turiaf Ready
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

Tiome to unleash the predator
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

Seeing him in uniform and possibly getting playing time will probably be the lone bright spot of the evening, folks...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Had it not been for his surgery, Turiaf would be starting ahead of Kwame.

And that's not to say that I think that RT is the bomb, it's more a reflection of Kwame's poor and disinterested play thus far. I was glad to see James Worthy openly question his (Kwame's) desire in the last game.

But back to Turiaf...

I do expect him to play, but I don't believe that he'll get a lot of minutes. If anyone saw him play in college and in the SPL, you'll know that he's a "fouling machine." And I'm not talking about "rookie" fouls, either. Turiaf cracks people. I suspect that he'll pick up 3 fouls in about 3 minutes of work.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

yeah, and we could have kept Caron
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

I like Turiaf as a Laker and all... and he may become a monster down the road. But we should not expect too much from him at the moment. He is still playing his first game of his NBA career as a second round draft pick. I do not remember any second round picks ever played a major role, or even a noticable role, in his first pro game ...
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

#32MaGiC wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Word...in retrospect, that trade was a big mistake. I expect Turiaf to get playing time tonight whether phil wants to play him or not...if Kwame, george and cook all start, who is going to come off the bench? The only big men left are Bynum and Turiaf...this game is going to be brutal, but I can't wait to see Turiaf in uniform for the p&g finally, and hopefully playing. It'll probably be the lone bright spot of the evening...unless kobe goes ballistic...here's hoping!!!
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
#32MaGiC wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Word...in retrospect, that trade was a big mistake. I expect Turiaf to get playing time tonight whether phil wants to play him or not...if Kwame, george and cook all start, who is going to come off the bench? The only big men left are Bynum and Turiaf...this game is going to be brutal, but I can't wait to see Turiaf in uniform for the p&g finally, and hopefully playing. It'll probably be the lone bright spot of the evening...unless kobe goes ballistic...here's hoping!!!

Assume he's been practicing? Anyone hear what's up there?
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

In the papers yesterday, it said he hasn't been practicing with either the first or second teams in practice ( believe I read it in yesterdays news section)...so phil said he doubted he would play...I don't think phil will have much choice, though, our bigs (what's left of them) are going to get in foul trouble real quick tonight...and there's nothing on the bench but bynum and turiaf... I'll try and find the link...

This one sounds more encouraging than others I've read...
Quote:
Turiaf Update

Ronny Turiaf will get his work visa either Monday or Tuesday and then he'll be able to play.

With all their big players getting injured, Jackson needs another big body.

"We hope to activate Ronny Turiaf and have him on the roster soon," Jackson said. "He's got a hurdle to jump, and then we'll see what happens."

Jackson's Reservations

With injuries to Mihm and Odom, Jackson was asked if had given any consideration to starting rookie center Andrew Bynum.

"None ... none," Jackson said. "Nil. Zero. Not at all. OK. I think it's not fair to him."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_laker_notes_05.3a2bc3a.html

Here's the one I was thinking of:

Quote:
Ronny Turiaf's request for a work visa has been approved, making him eligible to play for the Lakers next week.

A French citizen born on the Caribbean island of Martinique, Turiaf will appear Monday in Toronto to sign appropriate paperwork. He had to leave the country and then re-enter it again, as per terms of upgrading his student visa to a work visa, a Laker spokesman said.

"He should be eligible to play," Laker spokesman John Black said. "At that point, it becomes Phil's decision."

Jackson indicated it might be a while for Turiaf, who has not been scrimmaging with the first or second teams at practice.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep4feb04,1,950037.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

The first one is his latest comments, so it sounds like he might play...

Last edited by karlmalonefan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Ronny should at least suit up and be ready to step in. I think Phil will give him some time this game.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

I'd donate my left nut if Ronny played tonite. There is simply NO WAY in hell that Phill is going to put a Rookie with no experience, who is clueless as to whre on the court he should be in the tri and is fresh off of open heart surgery - on the court. It'll be at least two weeks before he gets to even see garbage time. I'll keep a cup of ice and a pair of scissors ready just in case, but there's a better chance of Luke & Sasha both outscoring Kobe than there is of Turiaf playing tonite....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
I'd donate my left nut if Ronny played tonite. There is simply NO WAY in hell that Phill is going to put a Rookie with no experience, who is clueless as to whre on the court he should be in the tri and is fresh off of open heart surgery - on the court. It'll be at least two weeks before he gets to even see garbage time. I'll keep a cup of ice and a pair of scissors ready just in case, but there's a better chance of Luke & Sasha both outscoring Kobe than there is of Turiaf playing tonite....
I'd agree, except all our remaining bigs are going to be starting...will they be playing the whole game without rest, or who is going to come off the bench??? What about foul trouble, which is sure to come...We have Turiaf, Bynum, and Green...frightening, really... Left nut, huh? Sounds painful!
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

mrdectown wrote:
StaPles Center wrote:
targetman wrote:
I think I will have to TiVo this one and peek at it from time to time. If I try to watch it I will be up all night grinding my teeth

Aw, you big WUSS !!!

You remind me of Jerry West.

Yeah!!!! Take it like a man, A REAL FAN WOULD.

YOU CAN DO IT...DONT BE A WHIMP!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
mrdectown wrote:
StaPles Center wrote:
targetman wrote:
I think I will have to TiVo this one and peek at it from time to time. If I try to watch it I will be up all night grinding my teeth

Aw, you big WUSS !!!

You remind me of Jerry West.

Yeah!!!! Take it like a man, A REAL FAN WOULD.

YOU CAN DO IT...DONT BE A WHIMP!

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll be using the fastforward on the Tivo alot tonight...I probably won't start watching the game until about an hour into it...that way I won't catch up to it before it's over...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

With Turiaf, Devin Green, Andrew Bynum and Von Wafer, the Lakers would have four rookies in uniform, or one third of their active roster.
_____

Link: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_986002.php

Wow. I knew this, but seeing it written like that reinforces just how young and inexperienced this team is - plus we're without Mihm and Odom.

Hoping to see Turiaf, but trying to keep my expectations in check. Phil will stick with Cook and Kwame as much as possible before he gives Bynum and Turiaf any run.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

C'mon. This isn't brain surgery.

As inexperienced as he is, he can easily provide limited minutes by following a couple of simple instructions:

On offense:

1) If you get the ball anywhere else than underneath your own basket, pass it to someone wearing the same color jersey as yours - preferably the guy with the #8 stitched across his. He'll know what to do with it;

2) If you do get the ball underneath your own basket, put it through the hoop making sure the ball goes through the top of the rim first. Don't let anyone deter you from doing this;

3) Back to the guy wearing #8. If he points to you, run out to the spot he directs you to and stand still. Don't be alarmed if someone wearing a different color jersey runs into you. It's all by design.

4) When #8 shoots the ball and misses, get the ball back before the other team grabs it. If you get it anywhere near the basket, see directive #2. Remember, the key thing here is if #8 misses the shot. If he makes it and you take the ball away, you might get kicked out of the game.

On defense:

1) Try to match up against someone of equal height and weight. If you're confused, just ask the tall white-haired guy sitting on your bench;

2) If the person you're guarding attempts to score a basket, stop him - preferably without making too much physical contact;

3) If someone, other than the man you're guarding, attempts to score (particularly in the painted square), stop him - again, preferably without making too much physical contact;

4) If the other team shoots the ball and misses, you must grab the ball before they do. But don't jump on the other players' backs. If you do that too much you might get kicked out of the game.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

Turiaf should play, what does the team have to lose at this point. He will be like an uncaged animal. The adrenaline rush alone will carry him to a good game.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

And 1: Hilarious stuff

Last edited by karlmalonefan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

Like my wife said the other night, don't put him on a high pedastal I might get disappointed. But I saw him played at Gonzaga so we shall see tonight. I like his attitude at the Hornets game. For every time-out he's out there standing give high 5's to the team, kinda boosting the morale.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

As inexperienced as he is, he can easily provide limited minutes by following a couple of simple instructions:

On offense:

1) If you get the ball anywhere else than underneath your own basket, pass it to someone wearing the same color jersey as yours - preferably the guy with the #8 stitched across his. He'll know what to do with it;

2) If you do get the ball underneath your own basket, put it through the hoop making sure the ball goes through the top of the rim first. Don't let anyone deter you from doing this;

3) Back to the guy wearing #8. If he points to you, run out to the spot he directs you to and stand still. Don't be alarmed if someone wearing a different color jersey runs into you. It's all by design.

4) When #8 shoots the ball and misses, get the ball back before the other team grabs it. If you get it anywhere near the basket, see directive #2. Remember, the key thing here is if #8 misses the shot. If he makes it and you take the ball away, you might get kicked out of the game.

On defense:

1) Try to match up against someone of equal height and weight. If you're confused, just ask the tall white-haired guy sitting on your bench;

2) If the person you're guarding attempts to score a basket, stop him - preferably without making too much physical contact;

3) If someone, other than the man you're guarding, attempts to score (particularly in the painted square), stop him - again, preferably without making too much physical contact;

4) If the other team shoots the ball and misses, you must grab the ball before they do. But don't jump on the other players' backs. If you do that too much you might get kicked out of the game.

We shall learn in a mere 6 hours or so just which wisdom Phil agrees with. Yours or mine? I think he'll know a lot more about what Wafer does in his spare time after tthis evening....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ronny Turiaf Ready.

I hope Kwame, Smush, Walton...(ah heck everyone but Kobe) are also "Ronny Turiaf Ready!"
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Ronny won't play more than 8 mpg I think.

But it could be a huge morale booster. A team that really needs some of that right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
And 1 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

On offense:

On defense:

We shall learn in a mere 6 hours or so just which wisdom Phil agrees with. Yours or mine? I think he'll know a lot more about what Wafer does in his spare time after tthis evening....

Well, as someone who thought that Kwame Brown could give us 15 & 10, I definitely know that Phil won't listen to me.

I just think that Turiaf can help this team by doing the basics: grab a couple of boards, get on the floor for loose balls, and deliver some hard fouls. That's all anyone should be asking of him and I think he can deliver on that.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

He can catch the ball and can dunk!!!!!!!!! KWame cant do either , enough said.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

If he has his Visa, I would say charge!
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

i sure hope its Ronny Time!!!

it would be so excellent to see him out there - he is already a legend in my book for what he has achieved to this point
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: