Scottie Pippen says Bulls would sweep Warriors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

That Bulls team though! NASTY!

LINK
LINK

Bulls wouldn't sweep, but would beat GS in any time period (back then or now).

Rodman would be the best rebounder in that series. Don't want to go small against those Bulls. You'll get killed on the glass.
And GS doesn't have 2 players who could guard Jordan and Pippen. People forget Pippen was 1 year removed from an MVP. Has any other team had 2 players who each have grabbed an MVP in the last 3 seasons?!

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

Rodman would be the best rebounder in that series.
And GS doesn't have 2 players who could guard Jordan and Pippen. People forget Pippen was 1 year removed from an MVP. Has any other team ever had 2 out of the past 3 MVP's on the same team?!

Agreed but they have some players who are no slouch on D in Barnes, Iggy, Klay, Draymond. All who could see time on MJ and Pip. Would be a really fun series to watch. There would be a Rodman/Green ejection no doubt lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

What did Curry do last year? He got worked once the clamps really got put on him, game to game. They won the championship because of Iggy's help. If/when Curry gets bumped and roughed up, his shooting % will go down. We've seen it, and it will happen, no matter what. During the playoffs, teams will definitely D up, even from 35' out.

That 2001 Lakers team had by far, the best performance and team to match. How can you beat Shaq in his prime, Kobe's monster attack, Fisher's dead eye shooting, Grant's offense and defense, Horry's outside shot?

That team was by far, the most on top of their game in history.
Clay and Curry? Switch almost every time and hard show the p&r.

That team was beyond ridiculous. You don't get to crush a Spurs with wins of 20+ and sweep them often. But that team did it. That's how scary good the Lakers were back then.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

And GS doesn't have 2 players who could guard Jordan and Pippen. People forget Pippen was 1 year removed from an MVP. Has any other team ever had 2 out of the past 3 MVP's on the same team?!

Agreed but they have some players who are no slouch on D in Barnes, Iggy, Klay, Draymond. All who could see time on MJ and Pip. Would be a really fun series to watch. There would be a Rodman/Green ejection no doubt lol

Seeing how Rodman got under Malone and Barkley's skin back in the day. I'd love to see him up against Draymond. Straight MMA.
Barnes and Iggy would be their best chance guarding the Bulls MVPs.
Klay would struggle defensively, GS should "hide" him on Kukoc.
If Draymond isn't guarding Rodman at all times ... and GS goes small....I could see Rodman grabbing 15 boards, easy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

Seeing how Rodman got under Malone and Barkley's skin back in the day. I'd love to see him up against Draymond. Straight MMA.
If Draymond isn't guarding Rodman at all times ... and GS goes small....I could see Rodman grabbing 15 boards, easy.

Yup!

I would love to see how Ron Harper defended Curry too. I seriously don't know if he would hold his own, or if Curry would just make him look silly with his advanced ball handling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Wait, so let me get this straight, they couldn't sweep any of their Finals opponents but they're going to sweep a team that's about to defecate all over their 72 win record? Yeah, makes total sense.

Yeah the 96 Supersonics took 2 games from the Bulls in the Finals. Fine with Scottie thinking they'd win a series but they're not sweeping.

I would bet on those sonics against current warriors.
Best defensive team. But the bulls were not that bad defensively while too strong offensively.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Why so bitter Scottie..?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

Yup!

I would love to see how Ron Harper defended Curry too. I seriously don't know if he would hold his own, or if Curry would just make him look silly with his advanced ball handling.

Oh Curry would embarrass him for sure. Too quick for him.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

Those bulls teams were nasty on the perimeter defensively with length. Built to beat a team like the warriors.

MJ on Klay
Pippen on curry
hide harper on iggy or barnes.

no need to put harper on curry.

If the warriors go to their potent small ball lineup with Dray at the 5.

Kerr or harper/MJ/pippen/Kukoc/Rodman. check mate and game over.

Bulls in 6
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

Malone worked Rodman in the 98 Finals. Go back and watch.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

It would be great to watch the Warriors with Jordan and Pippen suffocating Curry and Thompson. I think Pippen would pick up Curry, as a testament to how phenomenal he was defensively.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
kikanga wrote:
22 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK
LINK

Malone worked Rodman in the 98 Finals. Go back and watch.

He shot much better than he did the '97 finals. Phil kinda just let Malone "get his" both finals. The goal was shutting down everyone else and not doubling the MVP Malone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

My initial reaction was that both teams would win in their era, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured that GS might be a bad matchup for Chicago in either era:

In the 90's you can make the case that, MJ and Pippen being better than Klay and Curry, and the rules being familiar, the Chicago should be better. But it isn't that simple. Defensively, the Bulls were built around having 4 6-6 to 6-7 guys who could defend up and down the opposing lineup. This allowed them freedom to switch and help, given that their perimeter guys were strong enough to guard bigger guys for a short time, and their bigger guys could defend speedier guys a bit. It also was predicated on the handchecking rules, which allowed a guy like Harper to smother the PG with his length, while using his strength to inhibit penetration, allowing MJ and Pippen to play behind the point of attack and both smother wings and wreak havoc in the passing lanes.

With a guy like Curry, that wouldn't work as well. Not only would he drag Harper farther out, and not only would their screens up high bring Chicago's bigs out beyond their comfort zone, but he isn't primarily looking for north south penetration like a 90's PG. He's looking for a lateral move to open space, and Harper would be hard pressed to deny that. Even if you switched Pippen out there, the fact that MJ and Pippen would be stretched way out to the front changes their help schemes dramatically, more so with their mobile, shooting pick setters dragging Rodman out there too.

And GS is better beyond the first two roster slots, offsetting some of the disparity in the first two, and they would open up a soft underbelly by extending the defense. Rodman and the centers were not exactly suitable to totday's ball handling and shooting "bigs" either, and couldn't punish them as effectively on the other end. I suspect GS would be more able to to interdict Chicago's scheme than the other way around, although i think both teams would defend well. I just think the speed and range would be a challenge for Chicago. Maybe they still win, but it ain't a sweep.

In the modern era, the lack of range and offense from Chicago's bigs allow GS to collapse the lane (think how KG guarded LO in 08) with two defenders, impacting MJ's post attack, while Chicago can't do the same in reverse. I favor GS in the modern era.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Is it me or just me? Whenever those arguing for warriors, they rely solely on Curry getting crazy from anywhere. Its like Curry alone would beat the bulls or lakers. At the same time, they refuse to talk about how warriors would defend the boards and not get into foul troubles, which are more of critical factors in W or L.

In either era and rules, the bullz will beat the warriors hands down. People forget how good the bulls were in fast break. Pippen and mj would dunk on anybody in the fastbreak. Besides, the bulls were among elite defensive teams that can force you to play half court games. Rodman pippen mj would feast on offensive renounds.

The warriors wont stand a chance.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Had to bump this....Dubs wouldn't even beat the Shaq+Kobe Lakers.
BTW, anybody see that sweet uncontested layup at the end of the game by Towns.......
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

In the modern era, the lack of range and offense from Chicago's bigs allow GS to collapse the lane (think how KG guarded LO in 08) with two defenders, impacting MJ's post attack, while Chicago can't do the same in reverse. I favor GS in the modern era.

Phil would just run Rodman at the 5 and Kukoc at the 4 if spacing became a problem. Kukoc shot 40% from 3 in '96
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Is it me or just me? Whenever those arguing for warriors, they rely solely on Curry getting crazy from anywhere. Its like Curry alone would beat the bulls or lakers. At the same time, they refuse to talk about how warriors would defend the boards and not get into foul troubles, which are more of critical factors in W or L.

In either era and rules, the bullz will beat the warriors hands down. People forget how good the bulls were in fast break. Pippen and mj would dunk on anybody in the fastbreak. Besides, the bulls were among elite defensive teams that can force you to play half court games. Rodman pippen mj would feast on offensive renounds.

Furthermore, Curry needs to prove he can do that in the playoffs. He had a solid series in the Finals and a pretty middling one against the Grizzlies. People like to say he can get a shot off from anywhere, but is it actually true against an elite defense geared to stopping him? Against Memphis and (sans-Irving/Love) Cleveland, it was not true.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:

Phil would just run Rodman at the 5 and Kukoc at the 4 if spacing became a problem. Kukoc shot 40% from 3 in '96

That actually plays to golden state's strength.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Phil and Byron approve this message. Old school rules!
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Phil and Byron approve this message. Old school rules!
its not about old school, the bulls have pretty good matchups at every position, able to force half court game, have three shooters, and most of all size n length advantage. As I said Grant (Rodman), Pippen, MJ n even Kukoc will dominate the relatively smaller lineups in the paint.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wait, so let me get this straight, they couldn't sweep any of their Finals opponents but they're going to sweep a team that's about to defecate all over their 72 win record? Yeah, makes total sense.
72-10 Bulls beat Jazz 4-2, and if I'm not mistaken, that year Jordan made the game winning offensive foul jumper agaisnt Jazz fwd B. Russell (could have lost that game). So apparently by Pippen's logic, that Utah team would have dominated this record setting Warrior team too.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Past teams always beat the current teams. They would never lose.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
It would be great to watch the Warriors with Jordan and Pippen suffocating Curry and Thompson. I think Pippen would pick up Curry, as a testament to how phenomenal he was defensively.
Pippen and the other defenders would be fighting through screens, getting bumped around like they were playing pinball, before seeing Curry get the smidgen of space he needs to release his shot. Pretty much the same for Klay. Then when you give your 110% to stay with them, they cut back door. When that's covered, they find open shooters at the 3 pt line, or Bogut for a dunk, or......
Then when they prepare 110% to stop a drive, 25 and 30 foot shots get rained on them.

I'm not saying there would be domination by the Warriors, but it would probably be one of the most exciting finals we've seen. Warriors defense is underrated because they have versatility and team speed to find open shooters inside and out.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My initial reaction was that both teams would win in their era, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured that GS might be a bad matchup for Chicago in either era:

In the 90's you can make the case that, MJ and Pippen being better than Klay and Curry, and the rules being familiar, the Chicago should be better. But it isn't that simple. Defensively, the Bulls were built around having 4 6-6 to 6-7 guys who could defend up and down the opposing lineup. This allowed them freedom to switch and help, given that their perimeter guys were strong enough to guard bigger guys for a short time, and their bigger guys could defend speedier guys a bit. It also was predicated on the handchecking rules, which allowed a guy like Harper to smother the PG with his length, while using his strength to inhibit penetration, allowing MJ and Pippen to play behind the point of attack and both smother wings and wreak havoc in the passing lanes.

With a guy like Curry, that wouldn't work as well. Not only would he drag Harper farther out, and not only would their screens up high bring Chicago's bigs out beyond their comfort zone, but he isn't primarily looking for north south penetration like a 90's PG. He's looking for a lateral move to open space, and Harper would be hard pressed to deny that. Even if you switched Pippen out there, the fact that MJ and Pippen would be stretched way out to the front changes their help schemes dramatically, more so with their mobile, shooting pick setters dragging Rodman out there too.

And GS is better beyond the first two roster slots, offsetting some of the disparity in the first two, and they would open up a soft underbelly by extending the defense. Rodman and the centers were not exactly suitable to totday's ball handling and shooting "bigs" either, and couldn't punish them as effectively on the other end. I suspect GS would be more able to to interdict Chicago's scheme than the other way around, although i think both teams would defend well. I just think the speed and range would be a challenge for Chicago. Maybe they still win, but it ain't a sweep.

It's funny. This is pretty much the only post in the thread (my apologies to any I missed) that actually bothered to analyze in any meaningful way how the teams play. Everything else is just "Jordan was so good, yeah, he'd just Jordan them to death!!" It's meaningless dribble from the fingertips of people who don't understand what they're seeing.

And that's the thing that continually strikes me about commentary from fans and the media and ex-pros: no one really understands what they are watching. It's all "Curry shoots 3s" and just stop Curry. I don't think people are processing how they're getting him looks, or how they move the ball in relation to different defensive looks, or how their defense reacts to different types of offenses. I certainly don't--but admittedly I haven't watched many games this year (or last), and I don't put them on replay to break down each sequence.

It isn't that the X's and O's are like rocket science or genetic engineering, but I think the pace is so quick and the eye is so drawn to the electrifying guy with the sick handles and the 3 point range from the next solar system that folks aren't seeing the four other moving chess pieces that are getting him in a position to score (or getting themselves in position). A lot of the pro-Bulls folks seem likewise entranced with Jordan and Pippen's athleticism--certainly huge components. But we've seen Shaq and Lebron handed defeats despite their prodigious physical talents. That's done by strategy, not some Byron-esque "manning up".

I actually interjected myself into this same conversation at a bar the other day. One of the arguments went something along the lines of Curry couldn't guard Jordan and so Jordan would shoot 3s all day against Curry--because, you know, besides one transcendent moment against the Blazers, Jordan had been such an ace distance shooter for his entire career. It's like argument by hero worship.

Unless you're going to break down film and get into the nuts and bolts of the discussion, it's completely meaningless to debate these things because it winds up being a little more complicated than Jordan will be Jordan and Curry will be Curry, or Phil will out Zen Kerr or some other nonsense....
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

Double post.

Last edited by RG73 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: