Scottie Pippen says Bulls would sweep Warriors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
That Bulls team though! NASTY!

LINK
LINK

Bulls wouldn't sweep, but would beat GS in any time period (back then or now).

Rodman would be the best rebounder in that series. Don't want to go small against those Bulls. You'll get killed on the glass.
And GS doesn't have 2 players who could guard Jordan and Pippen. People forget Pippen was 1 year removed from an MVP. Has any other team had 2 players who each have grabbed an MVP in the last 3 seasons?!

I don't know. Probably not, including the Bulls. Pippen was never MVP.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My initial reaction was that both teams would win in their era, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured that GS might be a bad matchup for Chicago in either era:

In the 90's you can make the case that, MJ and Pippen being better than Klay and Curry, and the rules being familiar, the Chicago should be better. But it isn't that simple. Defensively, the Bulls were built around having 4 6-6 to 6-7 guys who could defend up and down the opposing lineup. This allowed them freedom to switch and help, given that their perimeter guys were strong enough to guard bigger guys for a short time, and their bigger guys could defend speedier guys a bit. It also was predicated on the handchecking rules, which allowed a guy like Harper to smother the PG with his length, while using his strength to inhibit penetration, allowing MJ and Pippen to play behind the point of attack and both smother wings and wreak havoc in the passing lanes.

With a guy like Curry, that wouldn't work as well. Not only would he drag Harper farther out, and not only would their screens up high bring Chicago's bigs out beyond their comfort zone, but he isn't primarily looking for north south penetration like a 90's PG. He's looking for a lateral move to open space, and Harper would be hard pressed to deny that. Even if you switched Pippen out there, the fact that MJ and Pippen would be stretched way out to the front changes their help schemes dramatically, more so with their mobile, shooting pick setters dragging Rodman out there too.

And GS is better beyond the first two roster slots, offsetting some of the disparity in the first two, and they would open up a soft underbelly by extending the defense. Rodman and the centers were not exactly suitable to totday's ball handling and shooting "bigs" either, and couldn't punish them as effectively on the other end. I suspect GS would be more able to to interdict Chicago's scheme than the other way around, although i think both teams would defend well. I just think the speed and range would be a challenge for Chicago. Maybe they still win, but it ain't a sweep.

In the modern era, the lack of range and offense from Chicago's bigs allow GS to collapse the lane (think how KG guarded LO in 08) with two defenders, impacting MJ's post attack, while Chicago can't do the same in reverse. I favor GS in the modern era.

I agree with your post. The W's were built for the modern era rules, and their players are perfect for it. I think, given that both teams play to their normal capabilities, the W's would win under the current rules. They outscore opponents, on average, by 18 points a game from the 3 point line. They shoot the 3 the best, and they defend the 3 the best. If Jordan grew up in the current generation, perhaps he would have become an elite 3 point shooter, but if you just take the players, as they perform in their own era and transport them to the other time and rules, than the W's win, IMO, in the modern era. Furthermore, with the elimination of illegal defense, Jordan would no longer have the luxury of beating one man, then getting close to the rim by the time help could rotate. As great as Jordan and Pippen were as individual defenders, screens create space. The W's would still score. Curry would still distort the Bulls defense like he does every modern defense. Defenses just aren't built to stop guys from 30' because their has only been one player in NBA history that scores from there with high efficiency. The W's win with modern era rules.

Transporting the W's back to the Bulls era, I agree with your points. Curry isn't a north / south player. He creates space by going east / west. He would be great in iso, hand checking or not. Iggy and Livingston, also, would be great under those rules. Screens would still create space, regardless of the era. I think it is just a matter of the evolution of the game. The W's would still make 3's at a much higher rate and they could get favorable iso situations, too, when advantageous. Teams had not figured out and adjusted to the analytics that the 3 point shot introduced at that point. When European teams started beating USA teams with NBA players, it underscored that point. Effectively using the 3 point line through strategy, movement, and skill was more powerful than the superior athleticism of a team not utilizing the 3 well. That is why, transporting the W's back to the 90's, they still would win, although it would be closer.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

It's not a given that the better skilled team wins in basketball.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Another "my generation is better than your generation" bs, let's face it, in sport, next generation usually will be better. The training, the technology, the nutrition, and the strategy are all improved. Then, It comes down to who works harder than the other.

I don't think the Bulls can sweep this current Warrior team.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

The era the Bulls dominated in was pretty weak.

They're still a great team, but I do think a few other all time great teams could have done what they did during that era.

I think early 80's Lakers and Celtics might be able to make a case fo being even better because teams were so imbalanced still during that time.

But this season's Warriors are pretty damn good. I think they'd beat the Bulls.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't remember the Bulls sweeping anyone in their six ships. I don't know why Scottie thinks they'd sweep the Dubs.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Against the 2001 Lakers in 2001? The game would start with Rick Fox clothes lining Steph curry into submission. Lol!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject:

Michael Jordan vs Klay Thompson

Scottie Pippen guarding Steph Curry?

Draymond and his tendency to let people get into his head vs Rodman?

Wouldn't be a sweep.. but I'm fairly certain the Bulls would win that matchup.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Jordan would literally destroy Klay. It would be really ugly.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Pippen's spoken wisdom comes to mind "I don't speak no yugoslav"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yes it would be... and Jordan would be defending Klay too....yah...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: