Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

That's what I'm saying too

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Luke is hard on Kuz. Gives LNJ props for his rebounding. Says Kuz needs to know what shot is a good one. LNJ can't hit the side of a battleship.

I'd rather have Kuz taking bad shots than Nance airballing wide open shots in the perimeter.

This coach really doesn't get it. Kuz would be passing more especially to Ingram if they can grow together and build chemistry in the starting lineup including Zo. We have a rare opportunity to homegrow our own big 3 and this coach insists on playing his favorite role player.

Kuzma doesn’t pass, Luke is right

The dislike for Kuz is strong in this one.

Some stats:

- Kuzma passes made per game 35.3, assists 1.5, potential assists 3.8

- Nance passes made per game 33.3, assists 1.2, potential assists 2.4

For someone who doesn't pass Kuzma sure averages more passes and assists than Nance.

Nance doesn't get the ball enough in the first place, how's he gonna make that many passes. I'm sure Westbrook leads his team in passes but he's still a ball dominant black hole.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Luke doesn’t know how to develop young players. This isnt a play off team. kuz should be allowed to test his limits and continue to grow. luke is is just instilling doubt instead of confidence in his rookies.

I don't know how you can say Luke doesn't know how to develop players when Lonzo/Kuzma are on track to make 1st Team All Rookie, Ingram has improved every month of his career, and Randle is playing his best ball ever so far. Not to mention Hart made his first ever start tonight and logged a double-double.

Our young players are coming along nicely, but they're still not good enough to beat veteran playoff teams, let alone championship caliber ones on the road. Don't let your hatred for Luke blind you to the good things he's accomplished thus far.

Luke has about as much to do with the development of Lonzo and Kuzma as Sam Mitchell did with Karl Anthony Towns or Byron Scott did with Chris Paul and Kyrie.

So a rookie point guard who seldom ran PnR in college and was thought to be a defensive liability coming in is excelling at both. And Luke doesn't get any credit for that? I noticed that you completely ignored my points about BI, Randle, and Hart. Your bias is showing, kid.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Luke is hard on Kuz. Gives LNJ props for his rebounding. Says Kuz needs to know what shot is a good one. LNJ can't hit the side of a battleship.

I'd rather have Kuz taking bad shots than Nance airballing wide open shots in the perimeter.

This coach really doesn't get it. Kuz would be passing more especially to Ingram if they can grow together and build chemistry in the starting lineup including Zo. We have a rare opportunity to homegrow our own big 3 and this coach insists on playing his favorite role player.

Some stats:

For someone who doesn't pass Kuzma sure averages more passes and assists than Nance.

Nance doesn't get the ball enough in the first place, how's he gonna make that many passes. I'm sure Westbrook leads his team in passes but he's still a ball dominant black hole.

Agreed, I think Kuzma bought into his own hype. I like the way Luke’s trying to rein him in early before he turns into a legit black hole
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Probably because Nance is usually given the ball less and mostly in situations where all he’s asked to do is finish. Very different from Kuzmas situation. Kuzma has a bright future and is a great prospect but it’s undeniable that his shot selection leaves some to be desired and he has a tendency to be a ball stopper. The coaches addressing those issues is a good sign.

That's fine as long as Luke plays it fairly and evenly across the players.

So when Nance shies away from taking an open shot or bricks an uncontested layup then Luke should addressed those as well, not just constantly defending Nance in the media while seeming to take every opportunity addressing all of Kuz's.

He expects more out of Kuz than Nance because Kuz is more talented. I think he realizes that and is pushing Kuz to make the “right” plays and the hustle plays and not just rely on talent. I wouldn’t complain too much about Kuz role, he is much more strict in that way on Randle who is arguably the most talented of the bunch but seems uninterested in what the coaches want if it isn’t what he feels benefits him. Say what you want about Nances talent level, he makes the “right” plays and the hustle plays as much as anybody on the team.

I don’t believe treating every player the same and “fairly” is always the right move especially when you have a bunch of young raw talent and the goal of the season is to develop.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Probably because Nance is usually given the ball less and mostly in situations where all he’s asked to do is finish. Very different from Kuzmas situation. Kuzma has a bright future and is a great prospect but it’s undeniable that his shot selection leaves some to be desired and he has a tendency to be a ball stopper. The coaches addressing those issues is a good sign.

So when Nance shies away from taking an open shot or bricks an uncontested layup then Luke should addressed those as well, not just constantly defending Nance in the media while seeming to take every opportunity addressing all of Kuz's.

He expects more out of Kuz than Nance because Kuz is more talented. I think he realizes that and is pushing Kuz to make the “right” plays and the hustle plays and not just rely on talent. I wouldn’t complain too much about Kuz role, he is much more strict in that way on Randle who is arguably the most talented of the bunch but seems uninterested in what the coaches want if it isn’t what he feels benefits him. Say what you want about Nances talent level, he makes the “right” plays and the hustle plays as much as anybody on the team.

I don’t believe treating every player the same and “fairly” is always the right move especially when you have a bunch of young raw talent and the goal of the season is to develop.

You don't want to play favorites. It creates resentment among the players and coaches.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma is far from a black hole. He makes the right read most of the time. I trust him taking the shot or making an aggressive move to score rather than swinging it to an open Corey Brewer or Josh Hart.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Randle needs to play more.

We can't be doubling the post player no matter what (Jeff Green, really?).

Lonzo can't be consistently going under against Calderon.

We can't be chucking 3's with 3-4 minutes to go.

This is all on coaching imo.

I saw them doubling a person who I thought was lebron...that person kicked it out to lebron for a three and I was thoroughly confused
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

You don't want to play favorites. It creates resentment among the players and coaches.

I don’t consider playing somebody who is less talented but does what you ask over somebody more talented but doesn’t playing favorites. Especially when their effectiveness is only marginally different.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

I don’t consider playing somebody who is less talented but does what you ask over somebody more talented but doesn’t playing favorites. Especially when their effectiveness is only marginally different.

Kuz 16.3 / 6.7 / 1.5 asst
LNJ 6.7 / 7.2 / 1.2

I wouldn't call that marginal difference.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Kuz 16.3 / 6.7 / 1.5 asst
LNJ 6.7 / 7.2 / 1.2

I wouldn't call that marginal difference.

1) Stats don’t tell the whole story, especially with these two.

2) Kuz already plays 7 more minutes per game

Per 36:

Kuz: 19.3/7.9/1.8

Nance: 13.5/11/1.8

The minutes distribution is about where is should be in regards to Nance vs Kuzma
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
The rules are different for people Luke favors.

Like I've been saying all year. Luke doesn't care about what works best or what statistically works best or who outplays who, he plays favorites.

Were you saying this last year when Jules was starting? (and I agree Jules should be playing much more).

I have been all for either Randle/Kuzma or Lopez/Nance playing together and it looks like Luke feels the same way. I would only be disappointed if Randle and Kuzma weren’t finishing games and again, it looks like Luke agrees. It is a long 82 game season and we are going to need contributions from all 4 if we hope to win 30 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Kuzma is far from a black hole. He makes the right read most of the time. I trust him taking the shot or making an aggressive move to score rather than swinging it to an open Corey Brewer or Josh Hart.

As Luke says, Kuzma needs to learn what a good shot is and what isn’t so the ball needs to be moved. He is a smart kid, he will figure it out.

I like what Luke is saying and that the players have bought into and that is to compete every game. I definitely see that mindset in our players.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

I like Kuzma.
What I dont like are the untimely turnovers. He and Randle.
But they do so many other positives, you almost have to overlook it. Almost. Which I hate.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Luke doesn’t know how to develop young players. This isnt a play off team. kuz should be allowed to test his limits and continue to grow. luke is is just instilling doubt instead of confidence in his rookies.

I don't know how you can say Luke doesn't know how to develop players when Lonzo/Kuzma are on track to make 1st Team All Rookie, Ingram has improved every month of his career, and Randle is playing his best ball ever so far. Not to mention Hart made his first ever start tonight and logged a double-double.

Our young players are coming along nicely, but they're still not good enough to beat veteran playoff teams, let alone championship caliber ones on the road. Don't let your hatred for Luke blind you to the good things he's accomplished thus far.

Luke has about as much to do with the development of Lonzo and Kuzma as Sam Mitchell did with Karl Anthony Towns or Byron Scott did with Chris Paul and Kyrie.

So a rookie point guard who seldom ran PnR in college and was thought to be a defensive liability coming in is excelling at both. And Luke doesn't get any credit for that?

Except Lonzo was effective out of the pick and roll when he ran it in college and he wasn't considered a defensive liability, particularly as his numbers defensively were really good.

So again, you're embellishing.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Why is LNJ starting again? Starts but doesn't finish and plays less mins than Kuz. Sounds like a bench player.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

So a rookie point guard who seldom ran PnR in college and was thought to be a defensive liability coming in is excelling at both. And Luke doesn't get any credit for that?

Except Lonzo was effective out of the pick and roll when he ran it in college and he wasn't considered a defensive liability, particularly as his numbers defensively were really good.

So again, you're embellishing.

MANY considered him a defensive liability although it was never based in reality so I see your point.

Idk how you dismiss what Luke’s done to help the team defense and overall effort of the team though. If your favorite player would be willing to not stop the ball so often he’d play a lot more. He’s often benched for that and would rather argue with Luke than adjust. That’s an easy way to cut down your own PT. He has had his chance to adjust his game, he sees what other players are getting time and he’s too smart not to understand why. It’s becoming clear he’s just too stubborn about his offensive game despite his undeniable talent. It’s clear(at least to me) what Randle needs to do to get more PT and it’s nothing he isn’t capable of.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Why is LNJ starting again? Starts but doesn't finish and plays less mins than Kuz. Sounds like a bench player.

Not being a smart Alec but were you around during the 3 peat? Guys like Green and Walker started but played less minutes than Horry, who also finished games over them. It is not unusual. And the “why” has been stated repeatedly.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Any news on this shot doctor that they supposedly hired recently?
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

You know having coached ball I often criticize Luke's moves and substitutions. However Luke turned a horrible defensive team into a really good one. Nance, randle, bi and clarkson are all having their best year so the development is there. Could he be better with the x's amd o's I would say yes but overall I think he is doing a good job
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
You know having coached ball I often criticize Luke's moves and substitutions. However Luke turned a horrible defensive team into a really good one. Nance, randle, bi and clarkson are all having their best year so the development is there. Could he be better with the x's amd o's I would say yes but overall I think he is doing a good job

Yeah, he has his flaws but I feel like he's really performing a balancing act. Even pop or phil would struggle finding consistency with this team, when you are looking for a strength like scoring (putting in kuz, JC), you lose out on some defense. When you're looking for defense (Brook, brewer), your offense becomes a liability. He needs to tighten up the substitutions, but other than that the improvement is obvious.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yes, they haven’t hired anyone.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
The rules are different for people Luke favors.

Like I've been saying all year. Luke doesn't care about what works best or what statistically works best or who outplays who, he plays favorites.

Were you saying this last year when Jules was starting? (and I agree Jules should be playing much more).

I'll give Luke credit. Unlike his phony critics, he's consistent in not giving a (bleep) about NetRTG.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yes, they haven’t hired anyone.

Yes they have!

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2E1m90YSpA&sns=em
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

So after watching the last few LFR, could some of us be wrong about Luke? Maybe he did bring all those GSW plays with him, except he needed his team to get up to speed before progressing? I do know a lot of our gripes are with his very wonky line-ups, but if he played certain players more, would we not be so negative on him? If Kuzma started and Randle played 30-35 mpg, would we mostly be on the same page with Luke? Or is it more of an X's & O's thing?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I don’t care who starts, it isn’t very often that NBA games are won in the first 8 minutes. That is an argument here that gets pretty boring. What matters are who finishes and matchups. I think that Luke is doing fine in those areas. Maybe if we had more talent the beginning of the game might matter, but Luke can only play the guys on our roster. I rarely started the best player at every position. It was more important to develop those players who weren’t the best, because you never know when you might have to rely on one of them. But I guarantee you that when the opponent was in scoring position, the best players were on the field. I have posted before that I am thrilled that we are competing, not only against the bad and mediocre teams but also against the good teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 447 of 818
Jump to: