Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
We were down 88-82 and Kuzma went off. Kuzma is not Kobe though, and can't bail a coach out every night. The only thing good about this game is the Kuzma show starting at 82-88 on my dvr.

Posts like this are just

Luke gets bashed relentlessly when the team loses but little to no credit from the same folks when the team wins. Pride is such a beast. It's just like the folks who made their minds up about Randle after his rookie year. They'd walk on lava with their bare feet before they'd give Randle anything more than a dry, one-line compliment (if that) when he balls out of his mind, which he's done fairly consistently this year. But if he has one bad game? Paragraphs worth of bashing lol.

What a joke.

Lesson is that fans are never happy with their coach, I recently read a topic on realGM, and discovered that A LOT of Spurs fans trash Pop, arguably the geatest coach ever...

Right. I’d even extend that beyond just being unhappy with the coach. The fans of those opposing teams in the QFTOS threads sound just like the fans on this forum. There’s no substantive difference, really.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers controlling owner Jeanie Buss emphatically said Luke Walton will be "the Lakers coach, period." When asked by ESPN's Cassidy Hubbarth on "Buckets" if Walton will remain the coach through the regular season, free agency and the summer, Buss replied, "Absolutely. Luke Walton is the Lakers coach, period. There's no worrying about it, there's no speculation. He's done a terrific job. He is somebody that the entire front office, the organization is behind."

Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer

Ohm has definitely became Jeanie's new media tool....replacing Kevin Ding.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

I know I'm in the minority here but I hope they keep Luke. He's been dealt a bad hand so far with nothing but young players, and a bunch of guys on 1 year deals, etc...If they state they want to keep Luke past this season all it means is the FO isn't going to cave into a players demand for a particular coach replacing him. Good for them if that's the case. I know Lebron is the best player an all but this dude comes with alot of drama.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lakers are on pace for 31 wins with the most difficult part of the schedule behind them. Also consider this was a new team (4 new starters) and had injuries. The biggest issue with Luke imo is he needs better assistants and a (talented) shooting coach helping these guys.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here but I hope they keep Luke. He's been dealt a bad hand so far with nothing but young players, and a bunch of guys on 1 year deals, etc...If they state they want to keep Luke past this season all it means is the FO isn't going to cave into a players demand for a particular coach replacing him. Good for them if that's the case. I know Lebron is the best player an all but this dude comes with alot of drama.

+1. Luke has done a masterful job this year. From dealing with Lavar to the JC/JR uncertainty, KCP and Bropez on one year deals, injuries, rookies, young players... The team could have totally fallen apart after that rough patch, but instead they have come together, continued to play D and have rattled off a win streak now without their best player.

Yes his rotations baffle me sometimes, but other than that I can not complain about the Lukester. Bravo and I hope he does stick around for a while. Too much coaching turnover for the Lakers over the past couple of years.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

I think Luke's amazing accomplishment this year is to turn one of he worse defensive teams in the league into one of the better ones. That has huge implications going forward. Not easy to do and he is to be congratulated on it.

Part of that is due to a change in personnel -- going from DLo, Nick Young, and Lou Williams to Lonzo and KCP --but coaching also has been critical.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

The state of this thread. (WARNING: Expletives)
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

Majority of fans want Luke gone? I feel like that's extremely unfair, not to mention that the turmoil within the coaching staff post-Phil is concerning.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:
Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
We were down 88-82 and Kuzma went off. Kuzma is not Kobe though, and can't bail a coach out every night. The only thing good about this game is the Kuzma show starting at 82-88 on my dvr.

Posts like this are just

Luke gets bashed relentlessly when the team loses but little to no credit from the same folks when the team wins. Pride is such a beast. It's just like the folks who made their minds up about Randle after his rookie year. They'd walk on lava with their bare feet before they'd give Randle anything more than a dry, one-line compliment (if that) when he balls out of his mind, which he's done fairly consistently this year. But if he has one bad game? Paragraphs worth of bashing lol.

What a joke.

Lesson is that fans are never happy with their coach, I recently read a topic on realGM, and discovered that A LOT of Spurs fans trash Pop, arguably the geatest coach ever...

Right. I’d even extend that beyond just being unhappy with the coach. The fans of those opposing teams in the QFTOS threads sound just like the fans on this forum. There’s no substantive difference, really.

But when we cuss and curse and are just plain ignorant a-holes, we look ALOT better!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

You shouldn’t be in the minority, Luke has done a good job turning things around despite a couple of temporary players and some roster inbalance. We should be pleased.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm on the fence about a bunch of stuff.

On the fence about Randle, but have to admit he has been playing good lately. When he is dialed in and knows what the team needs from him, and plays defense, then I want to keep him. Pretty much if he is getting destroyed on D, then I would be fine with a trade.

Clarkson, similar but add in his ability to help others score and get assists. When he can dish out and play D, then I want to keep him.

Luke, in the past, needed to keep trying different things and shake things up enough to learn what these guys could do.

But now, we really just need to win. He experiments more than is good for him. When he gets serious with tightening the rotations and makes it possible for our players who are hot to really go off, it seems like we win. I have seen him rotate our hot guys out and it does infuriate me. I think when people are playing well, you ride them until they cool off, then you rotate. So, Luke is one of those guys who makes in game moves that I don't really understand much of the time. Phil was like that. Difference is PHIL WON!! Luke ain't winning and I do believe we have the talent to have a 50% win record.

Beyond that, I still think we should consider one more year with Luke, unless we have an opportunity to sign a superstar and it gets based on the contingency that we have a different coach. Luke to me, while good, is not yet a genius level coach that should be considered on par with a player. Like Pops is on par with his players. If I am San Antonio, it is very borderline if I would get rid of Pops even if Kawhi laid him out as the problem. Kawhi or Pops would be a very tough choice. Seeing as to how they are a small market team, I would likely let Kawhi walk because as long as they have Pops they will be competitive.

That all being said, I really like that these guys are beginning to play defense. I feel like we have 3 guys who have figured out their offense in Clarkson, Randle and Kuzma. BI and Lonzo still need work on their offense, but both have huge upsides. Kuzma is going to get better. I really liked what Worthy said about Kuzma recently. He said he is going to be a very good defender, he just needs to get a bit more savvy. But that is true for all rookies. Every single rookie needs experience to play good D. Can't really think of too many players who came into this league and were able to shut good pro's down. Even the best took a year or two to get there. Worthy said he thought Kuzma was going to be an excellent defender eventually.

Ultimately I feel like this team in on the cusp of being much better. I do feel like we have too many youngsters and need some veteran leadership and skill. I don't want to just sign old guys, like we have been doing, who bring experience but little game. Would love to see us add someone like Paul George or Kawhi. Guys who play both sides of the ball and like the team game. I would be willing to move a couple of our guys to get some solid vets. The key here is going to be which guys to move and for whom.

I would love to see Luke get a shot at a team like this. But whatever our FO decides to do, will likely be OK with me. I believe that they are trying to turn things around here.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

7-2 since Lavar called out luke

Lavar is a genius
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

For these last 9 games, our ratings are :

Off Rtg : 105.9 (pretty good)
Def Rtg : 100.0 (elite)
Net Rtg : 5.9 (elite)

So we did a very good job and without the anti-Luke glasses you have to admit he did great !
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

He's not going any where...he's a good young coach...he's made mistakes and he's learning, but he's kept the team with him, got them playing better basketball overall....defense went way up this year......get him some solid talents ...this is one of those teams that come jump a lot next year in regard to record
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
7-2 since Lavar called out luke

Lavar is a genius

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Luke is a young guy learning on the job. I have my complaints, especially when he asks Larry or Julius to guard a true 7 footer. But for the most part, I can't be too mad. The defense is worlds better than what we've been seeing over the last handful of years. Also, he's getting a lot out of the youth and is actually playing them. Sure, there may be a game or two where he limits their minutes for whatever reason, but the next game if that player balls out, he gets 30+. Luke will give you a shot to redeem yourself and for the most part, these kids are responding. I really like that even though Lonzo has been out, the team still is trying to push the pace, while still playing D. That's some growth there. The positive markers are there. Even though the refs are treating our players like rookies and swallowing their whistles a lot they're still competing in a majority of the games. Now practice those free throws more!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:

So we did a very good job and without the anti-Luke glasses you have to admit he did great !

They dont come off.
It's like the guys that wear sun glasses indoors
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Lakers are on pace for 31 wins with the most difficult part of the schedule behind them. Also consider this was a new team (4 new starters) and had injuries. The biggest issue with Luke imo is he needs better assistants and a (talented) shooting coach helping these guys.

Think back to the OFFense Byron was running vs what we are seeing now...night and day.

Think about our D last year and this year...night and day.

Luke has a lot to learn about minutes distribution, icing his own players, and rotations, but that was to be expected...and this is where top notch assistants come in.

There is no salary cap on coaches so the Lakers need to open their wallets and upgrade the bench staff and add a shooting coach...no reason for a professional team to not have a coach who specifically looks at shooting similar to a pitching coach who can spot micro changes in a delivery.

I expect our shooting to be much better next year and Luke has finally started yelling at the refs...his bench demeanor has changed for the better after that abysmal stretch.

And I LOVED that he said the missing FTs was not acceptable...upset at a win means he expected us to beat the Celtics...I like that.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I'm on the fence about a bunch of stuff.

On the fence about Randle, but have to admit he has been playing good lately. When he is dialed in and knows what the team needs from him, and plays defense, then I want to keep him. Pretty much if he is getting destroyed on D, then I would be fine with a trade.

Clarkson, similar but add in his ability to help others score and get assists. When he can dish out and play D, then I want to keep him.

Luke, in the past, needed to keep trying different things and shake things up enough to learn what these guys could do.

But now, we really just need to win. He experiments more than is good for him. When he gets serious with tightening the rotations and makes it possible for our players who are hot to really go off, it seems like we win. I have seen him rotate our hot guys out and it does infuriate me. I think when people are playing well, you ride them until they cool off, then you rotate. So, Luke is one of those guys who makes in game moves that I don't really understand much of the time. Phil was like that. Difference is PHIL WON!! Luke ain't winning and I do believe we have the talent to have a 50% win record.

Beyond that, I still think we should consider one more year with Luke, unless we have an opportunity to sign a superstar and it gets based on the contingency that we have a different coach. Luke to me, while good, is not yet a genius level coach that should be considered on par with a player. Like Pops is on par with his players. If I am San Antonio, it is very borderline if I would get rid of Pops even if Kawhi laid him out as the problem. Kawhi or Pops would be a very tough choice. Seeing as to how they are a small market team, I would likely let Kawhi walk because as long as they have Pops they will be competitive.

That all being said, I really like that these guys are beginning to play defense. I feel like we have 3 guys who have figured out their offense in Clarkson, Randle and Kuzma. BI and Lonzo still need work on their offense, but both have huge upsides. Kuzma is going to get better. I really liked what Worthy said about Kuzma recently. He said he is going to be a very good defender, he just needs to get a bit more savvy. But that is true for all rookies. Every single rookie needs experience to play good D. Can't really think of too many players who came into this league and were able to shut good pro's down. Even the best took a year or two to get there. Worthy said he thought Kuzma was going to be an excellent defender eventually.

Ultimately I feel like this team in on the cusp of being much better. I do feel like we have too many youngsters and need some veteran leadership and skill. I don't want to just sign old guys, like we have been doing, who bring experience but little game. Would love to see us add someone like Paul George or Kawhi. Guys who play both sides of the ball and like the team game. I would be willing to move a couple of our guys to get some solid vets. The key here is going to be which guys to move and for whom.

I would love to see Luke get a shot at a team like this. But whatever our FO decides to do, will likely be OK with me. I believe that they are trying to turn things around here.

Vet Backup PG, 3 pt shooter, and vet back up C are the 3 weaknesses.

And of those 3...if we would have just had a vet PG to back up Lonzo I think we'd have 5 more wins which makes us a .500 team essentially.

This biggest bone to pick I have with Luck is how often he ices his guys. If a guy is performing...leave him out there...guys like Julius should be playing in shorter but more frequent stints like 6-7 minutes...couple minute breather...another 6 or 7, especially in the 2nd halves.

But when I think of the nightmare that was Brown, 'Antoni, and Byron I can't help but be super impressed by what Luke has done with NBA babies and 2 completely different rosters over 2 seasons.

Basketball is about the talent on the floor...coaches matter, but not nearly as much as in football.

#BannersOverBillboards
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

They dont come off.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
epak wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

They dont come off.

SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
The state of this thread. (WARNING: Expletives)

Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

We start winning now, after battling for half season. Actually, as spoke by JC before, many games we lost early this season were pretty close. It seems we finally figure out how to close a game. I feel this much needed stretch would give much confidence to our young players and young coach and we would be on a new level. Still hope we could make the playoffs finally.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Luke be doin just fine.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

They dont come off.

Right. Even with this latest run by the team, look who they're giving the credit to - LaVar! Incredible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 508 of 818
Jump to: