Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Judah wrote:
“Since Luke took over, they’ve improved every single season I think, and you just try to implement that ball movement, that body movement, that he got when he was in Golden State.” - LeBron (postgame)

So much for replacing Luke with Fizdale

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fizdale as an assistant coach then.

Much rather have him than Shaw anyway.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Ah hahaha.
Good job Luke
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
trablos wrote:
Judah wrote:
“Since Luke took over, they’ve improved every single season I think, and you just try to implement that ball movement, that body movement, that he got when he was in Golden State.” - LeBron (postgame)

So much for replacing Luke with Fizdale

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fizdale as an assistant coach then.

Much rather have him than Shaw anyway.

Luke wouldn’t
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Kudos to Luke. Even LBJ said it post game that Luke has greatly improved this team.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Lebron sure is an expert opinion on coaches
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Forgot to share this last week:

“The scheme at this point in the year is worlds ahead from the beginning of the year. I’ve gone from cringing to standing at some of the sets. Mad props to Jesse Mermuys for this offensive design.” - Cranjis

I’m sure most people here hold Cranjis in high regard, so that compliment is telling. Perhaps Luke’s “drinking buddies” from Arizona are a lot more competent than many have unfairly assumed.

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

So why was Randle benched at the start? and playing 10-20 mins? Might have a chance at the PO if he started all year.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
So why was Randle benched at the start? and playing 10-20 mins? Might have a chance at the PO if he started all year.

That HAD to be some "magical" influence.

Same reason Deng isnt played. I HIGHLY doubt any of those are Luke's bright ideas.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

“The scheme at this point in the year is worlds ahead from the beginning of the year. I’ve gone from cringing to standing at some of the sets. Mad props to Jesse Mermuys for this offensive design.” - Cranjis

I’m sure most people here hold Cranjis in high regard, so that compliment is telling. Perhaps Luke’s “drinking buddies” from Arizona are a lot more competent than many have unfairly assumed.

It is no surprise the offense looks better now than at the beginning of the season. Luke flat out said that all of the shortened training camp was spent on defense. He said that the offense would be implemented as the season went on, he felt that it was most important to get the D down first.

All season long our D has been our strong point and now that the staff has had time to add more bits to the offense, that is starting come around as well. I think Luke is a great coach!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

Long time no see! You were insanely active in this thread when the team was losing but fell off the face of the planet the last few months while they've been on this tear.

And big surprise, your first post in a while isn't credit for Luke or his staff for engineering this turnaround, but more criticism Welcome back!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Long time no see! You were insanely active in this thread when the team was losing but fell off the face of the planet the last few months while they've been on this tear.

And big surprise, your first post in a while isn't credit for Luke or his staff for engineering this turnaround, but more criticism Welcome back!

Luke has gotten better but his past decisions have still left a bad taste. The lakers were predicted to win 32-40 games this year. I don't see Luke being a + coach who can get a team a few extra wins more than what they are expected to do.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

They were predicted to win 27 games analytically and 32 games by ESPN.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Ok. I’m back, though not without hesitation, to giving Luke the benefit of the doubt. It doesn’t mean I have agreed with everything he has done.

But he has certainly done well enough to convert a pitchforker to at least a wait-and-see-er.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They were predicted to win 27 games analytically and 32 games by ESPN.

Bleacher report has 36
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

An article Kevin Ding suggested they were classic "Phil Jackson Mind Games" which makes total sense. I get that people thing Julius Randle would've added a lot more wins during that stretch.. but Julius was still getting between 20 and 30 minutes so its not like he was glued to the bench.

Quote:
Look at Julius Randle's experience this season: The creative, tension-building mind games have been played all over the place with Randle, who is now tearing up the league.

Choosing someone from the roster with a healthy sense of self who can handle a little embarrassment in order to allow the coach to flex his necessary bad-cop muscle. The loss of a starting job in order to make clear the importance of the team and specific groups playing well over any particular individual. The desire to hear useful feedback from a challenged player rather than angry pouting or mute acceptance. The withholding of court time–Randle played eight minutes one game and 11 minutes another in the early season–as the primary prod to improve. Even the occasionally very public and personal criticism sent through the media to apply pressure to dig deeper.

Those were all stand-by Jackson ploys to tweak guys he saw weren't quite reaching their ceiling, guys who if they matured to understand their individual powers would kickstart the betterment of the team.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/the-point/180301-waltons-touch-comes-from-within
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Judah wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Luke has gotten better but his past decisions have still left a bad taste. The lakers were predicted to win 32-40 games this year. I don't see Luke being a + coach who can get a team a few extra wins more than what they are expected to do.

I remember the prediction was 20 something games but maybe my memory fails me
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Judah wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I remember the prediction was 20 something games but maybe my memory fails me

I can't find a single one that was in the 20's. Maybe you're thinking of some of the posters here

Most of the ones I found were 32 - 35
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Judah wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

A bad taste for who? You? If so, you just need to get over it. It's obvious the players have, including Randle. He's still raving about Luke like he was hired yesterday:

Quote:
Randle acknowledged he has become more coachable, and the crux of it has been the buy-in on both sides of his relationship with Walton–despite the frustrations early this season.

"Coach really cares about me as a person. It's easier to have a working relationship with someone if they care about you as a person," Randle said. "It's been like that since Day One, since he got the job and called me and had a conversation with me and they [with Golden State] were still in the playoffs competing for a championship. He wanted to establish that relationship from that day.

"It's been great ever since. He came to my wedding. Sent congrats on my baby. He has seen me mature and grow as a person as well these past two years. He can be tough on me, but he is obviously a loving coach who really cares about his players."

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/the-point/180308-randle-the-rising-tide-for-lakers

"I don't see Luke being a + coach who can get a team a few extra wins more than what they are expected to do."

^^That's an incredibly dense way to look at it. You're looking at the raw number of wins they have instead of factoring in the difficult path it took to get there. Whenever you project a team's win total, it's always with the assumption that they'll be healthy. This Laker team was projected to barely crack 30 wins when healthy. Some of their most important players have missed significant time with injuries. Throw in the uniqueness of the LaVar situation and you're left bewildered at how Luke has still found ways to not only keep the team competitive, but winning.

They're flirting with 40 wins and have been one of the top defenses in the league despite most of the players in their rotation being rookies and sophomores. That's unheard of. Even losing one of their best defenders (Nance) and swapping him with one of the worst defenders in the league (IT3) hasn't slowed them down enough defensively to fall out of contention for their top 10 goal. You don't get results like that without really good coaching. But yeah, just ignore all of this and hide behind the raw win total, as if this team hasn't vastly exceeded expectations.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

the true measure of a good coach is to get the team to play to their potential. Meaning they should be consistently winning the games they're supposed to win.

They should beat Denver and Miami at home (specially with BI back for the Miami game). Let's see them do that. Otherwise most know the drill here at LG. Luke's is clearly getting better as a coach, but he's still a work in progress. The consistent winning when your supposed to is still being worked out (they got lucky against woeful Orlando). let's see how the final 16 play out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

FA Rumor Mill Daily
LaVar's Mouth
Lonzo Hype
Injuries
Trades
Cuts

this team has been through a lot and literally every play has shown improvement throughout the year and we're finally a team that's not only fun to watch, but we know what to expect. If it wasn't for that 0-9 stretch, we're sitting at 34-35 wins with 16 or so games go. Assuming we even go .500, that's a 42 win season.

Anyone who wants to hate on Luke is only doing that.. hating on him. The man has done excellent all things considered and I, for one, can't think of many other guys I'd rather have than Luke. Mistakes, sure. But that's it. He's doing great otherwise.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Judah wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Which expert predicted 40 wins?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:

Mermuys did a good job in Toronto's G-League team, he had credentials. The drinking buddy I never understood the role in the Staff is Jud Buechler, despite leading the Summer League team.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

[/quote]

I think everyone, to a man, was excluding the greatness that is Mermuys when discussing the Luke's "Zona Bros" list. His SPL interviews 2 summers ago are legendary. Even without trying, Coach Jess flexes hard.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Judah wrote:

I think everyone, to a man, was excluding the greatness that is Mermuys when discussing the Luke's "Zona Bros" list. His SPL interviews 2 summers ago are legendary. Even without trying, Coach Jess flexes hard.[/quote]

Agreed! The Spicolli basketball nerd is awesome!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:

Mermuys did a good job in Toronto's G-League team, he had credentials. The drinking buddy I never understood the role in the Staff is Jud Buechler, despite leading the Summer League team.

Jud is just in the player development department.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 529 of 818
Jump to: