Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 529, 530, 531 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:
Forgot to share this last week:

“The scheme at this point in the year is worlds ahead from the beginning of the year. I’ve gone from cringing to standing at some of the sets. Mad props to Jesse Mermuys for this offensive design.” - Cranjis

I’m sure most people here hold Cranjis in high regard, so that compliment is telling. Perhaps Luke’s “drinking buddies” from Arizona are a lot more competent than many have unfairly assumed.

Mermuys did a good job in Toronto's G-League team, he had credentials. The drinking buddy I never understood the role in the Staff is Jud Buechler, despite leading the Summer League team.

Jud is just in the player development department.

I actually don't know his role. He's listed as Player Development, but I guess it's not usual for player development staff to coach SL teams.

I don't know whether he is a good coach or not, but he arrived completely out of the blue. No experience in basketball coaching whatsoever.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

We had a ROUGH 2nd quarter. And the 3rd started off poorly as well.

Great job by the coaching staff keeping the players engaged and fighting.

Also, when I said Luke is a better coach than the mediocre coaches around the league (like Malone). I meant it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I call it like I see it....Great coaching. I would go as far to say as absolutely brilliant today.

Anybody that has seen my posts here know I’m usually very critical of Luke, but today, he was wonderful.

His rotations were on point, he was playing the right players at the right time, knew what players to keep on the floor who were benefiting the team, who to take out like Zubac in the 2nd and Wear in the 4th.

I liked his use of the timeouts as well. He used a lot again but they were needed and it showed tonight. After a disaster 2nd quarter, and a rough majority of the 3rd quarter, he still kept the team focused when most would completely collapse.

Luke, that was some coaching tonight. I’m very proud. Bravo.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Pigs are flying.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton NBA Championships: 2 as a player, 1 on the coaching staff
Denver Nuggets NBA Championships: None
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
I call it like I see it....Great coaching. I would go as far to say as absolutely brilliant today.

Anybody that has seen my posts here know I’m usually very critical of Luke, but today, he was wonderful.

I feel you. I didn't want us to hire him in the first place. I thought he'd shoehorn our roster into GS's offense. And obviously, we don't have a similar enough roster to do that.
But I'm pleasantly surprised and optimistic considering how short his head coaching career is.

Definitely has room to improve. But I'm happy with how our young guys have progressed, together.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I hope more people start to see the culture change Luke brought when he was hired.

I loved the hire. He has proved that he can come in and completely change the culture of a young team within a couple of years. That's rare air for any coach of any sport.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

Happy with the coaching lately
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

Hard to argue with how they have been playing. The Lakers are what 20-9 since that 9 game skid.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:

Luke's doing a fantastic job.

Oh and the drinking buddy joke is getting a bit old btw.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Hard to argue with how they have been playing. The Lakers are what 20-9 since that 9 game skid.

Crazy to think of that skid was 3-6 instead of a 9 Game travesty...Lakers are in the playoff race.

Longtime LG lurker.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject:

Let's go, Coach
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
I hope more people start to see the culture change Luke brought when he was hired.

I loved the hire. He has proved that he can come in and completely change the culture of a young team within a couple of years. That's rare air for any coach of any sport.

He has done the impossible- getting a bunch of very young players to buy in on the defensive end.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

Lucky to have Luke as our coach, he's going to grow alongside this core.

No question role players make better coaches than stars, he's got the whole team playing like a bunch of Luke Waltons only much more talented.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:

My main beef with Luke was the way he handled Randle's minutes early in the season.
incontrol__
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

I'm happy with him. I believe in him. You can believe in his process. So many people were just expecting to pick up a Popovich/Brad Stevens off the street, thinking Pop came in as this perfect coach -- he was a good coach early on, but he's continually learned more about the game, and adjusted with time as he's gone on.

Luke makes mistakes, all coaches do, just like the players. Randle's treatment earlier in the season remains extremely questionable, but I don't think it's as simple as it seems.

Nance was and is an extremely valuable player whom it was reasonable to believe you could only get the most out of if he was next to Lopez (many, many people in these forums weren't confident about him at C -- with good reason, he has issues there, even still, it has it's pluses and minuses). Believing Lopez + Nance was best way to get the most out of Nance, that Randle would be our best option for backup C, and would pair well with Kuzma was relatively reasonable.

Kuzma starting in place of Nance early in the season made sense, too. Dude was on fire, and it did wonders for him, didn't put Luke in the awkward position of having to bench Randle when Nance came back (questionable policy, but understandable from a morale standpoint in some ways), and allowed Randle to continue playing most of his minutes at C, whilst including Bogut a little (good or bad, Bogut was signed and deserved to be taken into account by the coaching staff).

There's a lot of other questionable calls Luke made in that same vein at the same time that led to Randle at times getting way less minutes that he deserved or was reasonable. Add in that Randle worked his ass off, wanted to start and play lots of minutes, and that he was killing it in the minutes he got and you saw the players have to tell Luke Randle had to start.

Anyway, Luke handled Randle in a really questionable way to start the season, and it very well should probably be something for him to learn from as a coach. However, I think it's important to think about his thought process in that, whether you largely disagree with it or not (which I, and most do).

---

So many people (including Cranjis, whom I have respect for) were arguing it shouldn't take time to implement in depth schemes and plays. Luke and the staff had things they put emphasis on to start the season, throughout the offseason, and in training camp. The team has developed well, the culture is exciting, and the schemes are getting better. It's a process.

Luke is a reasonable dude whom doesn't appear to get too big of a head and is willing to adapt.

It's exciting to watch.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:

My main beef with Luke was the way he handled Randle's minutes early in the season.

At what stage are you willing to let go of it?

:edit: Okay, I re-read your comment. Past tense. My bad
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:

I still wonder how much of that was from Luke or did the front office had some input? It's one thing if Randle came into the season out of shape, but dude worked hard all summer and inexplicably lost his starting job.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:

I still wonder how much of that was from Luke or did the front office had some input? It's one thing if Randle came into the season out of shape, but dude worked hard all summer and inexplicably lost his starting job.

I think Randles play towards the end of the year has been in large part due to the benching. Playing much more under control and with consistent effort. He changed his body in the offseason but it took him some time to change his game.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:

I think Randles play towards the end of the year has been in large part due to the benching. Playing much more under control and with consistent effort. He changed his body in the offseason but it took him some time to change his game.

I noticed that too. In the beginning of the year, he would just charge into the defense. Now he's reading the defense better and passes the ball when he doesn't have a good shot. It's a major reason why I gone from dumping him in the off-season to thinking that we must retain him.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
tgi_friyay wrote:

I noticed that too. In the beginning of the year, he would just charge into the defense. Now he's reading the defense better and passes the ball when he doesn't have a good shot. It's a major reason why I gone from dumping him in the off-season to thinking that we must retain him.

Can't argue with the results. Luke said that this season would be more about player development than wins. We did sacrifice some wins early on with the Randle benching, but I really believe that it motivated JR to up his game. I don't think Randle would be the player he is right now without the early season benching.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Bad loss.
Sucks we were short handed off a back to back.
I think the results would have been a bit different if they were short handed coming off a rest day.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna blame Luke. The only criticism is that imo he should not have started IT. Derrick Williams or Travis Wear should have got the call. KCP was way too short to try and do anything to Durant.

Other than that, it was a good try.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject:

Can't complain on that weird rotations after half our team is injuried
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Not gonna blame Luke. The only criticism is that imo he should not have started IT. Derrick Williams or Travis Wear should have got the call. KCP was way too short to try and do anything to Durant.

Other than that, it was a good try.

D.Will and T.Wear would've gotten whooped by KD too. I was ok with IT starting, he can get to the paint and draw double (not elite like last year but he can) and seems to connect with our bigs pretty well
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 529, 530, 531 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 530 of 818
Jump to: