Official LUKE WALTON Head Coach Thread (Steph A. Thinks Phil Replaces Luke LOL whut, p. 543)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 540, 541, 542 ... 548, 549, 550  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
trablos
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 May 2017
Posts: 1601

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
trablos wrote:
Is luke a guy who can handle a bunch of big ego guys together like LBJ, PG, Kuz etc..

I donít think thatís the most accurate way to look at it.

First, to whatever degree that Kuz has an ego, is it really something that would be detrimental to team chemistry? I donít think so at all. Is he ego big enough to make him be at odds with someone like LeBron? Again, I donít see that. Kuz seems very much like a team guy to me. Also, heís submissive to the coaches when they challenge him and said after the season that Luke knows how to bring out the best in him. Luke can be pretty hard on him at times, almost as hard as he is on Randle, but he responds to it well. Letís also not forget that he publicly defended Luke when LaVar went after him.

I donít see PG as a ďbig egoĒ guy, so Iím not really sure what youíre basing that on. Besides, B. Shaw is second in command. Heís never going to go against Luke or the coaching staff in any way with B. Shaw there. But he doesnít have any history that Iím aware of anyways when it comes to challenging coaches or having an ego problem that gets in the teamís way.

As far as LeBron goes, Luke both played with Kobe and was able to witness the dynamics of their relationship up close. He was also in GS for two years and was able to observe the way Kerr dealt with Green. Between his playing days with the Lakers and his time in GS, Luke pretty much has the equivalent of a PhD when it comes to team culture and handling egos. Heís anything but a pushover. As opposed to being concerned, I actually feel extremely confident. I even think LeBron would like him. A lot.

Agree with all of this, I only threw them in there since PG would be our only other all star who wants his shots, and Kuz has the biggest ego on our team

I definitely think Luke will do well managing personalities, especially since our team culture is so strong, just something that crossed my mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 14300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Anyone on Ty Lue's staff worth poaching as an assistant?
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 19002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone on Ty Lue's staff worth poaching as an assistant?


Dwayne Casey, but thatís it.
_________________
This Signature is now sponsored by Big Baller Brand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 8791

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone on Ty Lue's staff worth poaching as an assistant?


Dwayne Casey, but thatís it.


I think I get it...


_________________
WE BACK BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 19002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone on Ty Lue's staff worth poaching as an assistant?


Dwayne Casey, but thatís it.


I think I get it...



Glad someone did.
_________________
This Signature is now sponsored by Big Baller Brand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22037

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Luke and the staff preparing some 1-4 ISO sets.
_________________
👊 2018-19 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Kawhi to Lakers 2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 7867

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Could it be possible for Jackson to return to the Lakers in a Tex Winters role to Luke Walton's Phil? There aren't many coaches who would be comfortable with Jackson in the seat behind them, but Walton might be one of the few. Being able to manage star egos was Jackson's forte and if LA gets to where they want to be in free agency (or even if the young guys start to break out), that becomes a major and somewhat new to him part of Walton's job.

I know Jackson and James had some dust ups around the "posse" comment. But me thinks that was as much about Melo as anything. James respects greatness and Jackson fits the bill. It seems Phil is sidelined while under contract for another 10 months.

Quote:
Jackson has remained out of sight since getting fired last June ó holed up at his Montana lakeside mansion while renovations are completed on his Los Angeles home. Bradley wouldnít rule out Jackson returning to the NBA in some capacity once his $60 million contract officially expires in March 2019.

_________________
Bold Prediction: Lance Stephenson is going to play well for the 2018-19 Lakers (7/6/2018).

2-3-7-14 Los Angeles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 18654
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

If Luke can convince Vogel to join the staff that would be awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 7523

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Luke can convince Vogel to join the staff that would be awesome.


Where did that pipe dream come from?

puff puff pass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 8791

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Is George cool with Vogel? Doubt he takes an assistant coach position so it's definitely pipe.
_________________
WE BACK BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 2977

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Could it be possible for Jackson to return to the Lakers in a Tex Winters role to Luke Walton's Phil? There aren't many coaches who would be comfortable with Jackson in the seat behind them, but Walton might be one of the few. Being able to manage star egos was Jackson's forte and if LA gets to where they want to be in free agency (or even if the young guys start to break out), that becomes a major and somewhat new to him part of Walton's job.

I know Jackson and James had some dust ups around the "posse" comment. But me thinks that was as much about Melo as anything. James respects greatness and Jackson fits the bill. It seems Phil is sidelined while under contract for another 10 months.

Quote:
Jackson has remained out of sight since getting fired last June ó holed up at his Montana lakeside mansion while renovations are completed on his Los Angeles home. Bradley wouldnít rule out Jackson returning to the NBA in some capacity once his $60 million contract officially expires in March 2019.

I don't think so. LeBron does respect greatness, but he said he lost all respect for Phil after the ĒposseĒ comment. You have to factor in LeBronís social awareness about race and his issues with our President, along with the fact that, similarly to Philís ĒposseĒ comment, he felt that Gilbert's letter had racial overtones. I don't think he'd want Phil anywhere near the bench, even in a limited, consultant role.

Plus, I can't imagine Phil wanting that role. His ego is too big for him to only be a consultant lol. From an Xís and Oís standpoint, Tex was a fit for Philís coaching staff because Philís teams ran the triangle. After his stint in NY, we know that Phil isn't exactly open-minded about accepting the modern NBA and the way teams play offense, so I don't think he'd be a fit. But Luke does keep in contact with him and picks his brain for advice at times, so that's probably the best role for him. It's nothing official, so Luke can still talk to him from time to time and benefit from some of his advice while still keeping him at arm's length.
_________________
ĒIt is about the greatness of God, not the significance of man. God made man small and the universe big to say something about Himself.Ē

- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 2977

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Luke can convince Vogel to join the staff that would be awesome.

I don't think they need a defensive guy. Keefe became the defensive coordinator last season and did an outstanding job.
_________________
ĒIt is about the greatness of God, not the significance of man. God made man small and the universe big to say something about Himself.Ē

- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 10411

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Other than on-court reasons, would Jeannie want him back after they broke off their engagement? Isn't she dating someone else now? Might be kind of awkward lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TrekLife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 2162

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

@MarcJSpearsESPN

Quote:
More Marc J. Spears Retweeted Dave McMenamin
Surprising Cavs let go of Phil Handy considering heís one of the top NBA player development coaches. He helped Kobe, LeBron & Kyrie improve their games. Handy was also heavily involved in Cavs playoff personnel and practice preparations. Several teams already showing interest.


https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/1008795722034995202
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 1337

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

TrekLife wrote:
@MarcJSpearsESPN

Quote:
More Marc J. Spears Retweeted Dave McMenamin
Surprising Cavs let go of Phil Handy considering heís one of the top NBA player development coaches. He helped Kobe, LeBron & Kyrie improve their games. Handy was also heavily involved in Cavs playoff personnel and practice preparations. Several teams already showing interest.


https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/1008795722034995202


Veryyy veryyy great addition if we can some how land him to fill In Judís spot.

Remember he was on Brownís staff when he was HC here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ShowtimeReturns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

OK We just signed the best player in the world . Hasn't always had the best relationship with his coach.The pressure is on for Luke to be able to handle what comes with Lebron,Obviously Luke has to make some adjustments to his style Definately more ISO sets no question Lebron can be very ball dominant at times thats going to hinder that heavy passing style Luke loves on defense Lebron is not going to be fully engaged at times,he's going to call out teamates on the court,Luke is going to deal with this a lot and my bet is he's up to the task and it will work out successfully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 6427

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
OK We just signed the best player in the world . Hasn't always had the best relationship with his coach.The pressure is on for Luke to be able to handle what comes with Lebron,Obviously Luke has to make some adjustments to his style Definately more ISO sets no question Lebron can be very ball dominant at times thats going to hinder that heavy passing style Luke loves on defense Lebron is not going to be fully engaged at times,he's going to call out teamates on the court,Luke is going to deal with this a lot and my bet is he's up to the task and it will work out successfully.


He's been around Kobe/Phil a lot and successfully coached Draymond, so that's a start, I guess?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22037

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
OK We just signed the best player in the world . Hasn't always had the best relationship with his coach.The pressure is on for Luke to be able to handle what comes with Lebron,Obviously Luke has to make some adjustments to his style Definately more ISO sets no question Lebron can be very ball dominant at times thats going to hinder that heavy passing style Luke loves on defense Lebron is not going to be fully engaged at times,he's going to call out teamates on the court,Luke is going to deal with this a lot and my bet is he's up to the task and it will work out successfully.


He's been around Kobe/Phil a lot and successfully coached Draymond, so that's a start, I guess?


From the way Luke speaks, he seems like he would coach players differently depending on if they were vets or kids. If he could handle coaching the Warriors, I'm hoping he can handle this squad.

Some fans already trying to get rid of Luke, but I'm hoping he stays.
_________________
👊 2018-19 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Kawhi to Lakers 2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JohnDoe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 88
Location: Shenzhen, China

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone on Ty Lue's staff worth poaching as an assistant?


Dwayne Casey, but thatís it.


I think I get it...


_________________
"Less is more."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 214

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

Let's see what Luke can do with an actual team. No more excuses
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 2918
Location: Low Post Rate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

I think reaching out to Phil Handy would be a worthwhile move.
_________________
"We got a new universe coming and he's going to control all our universes. We're going to put our universes together" - Metta World Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 2918
Location: Low Post Rate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

So... Luke has his work cut out for him.
_________________
"We got a new universe coming and he's going to control all our universes. We're going to put our universes together" - Metta World Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22037

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Pray for this man!
_________________
👊 2018-19 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Kawhi to Lakers 2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 428

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Walton should just resign now, because the team philosophy is going to change 360.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10094

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Walton should just resign now, because the team philosophy is going to change 360.


So the philosophy is not changing at all then?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 540, 541, 542 ... 548, 549, 550  Next
Page 541 of 550
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB