Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Kuz surrounded by 4 guards lineup probably isn't it. Probably.

Luke needs to understand their is only 1 Dre green and it works cause the guy is v good defensively.

I haven't heard any other team forcing the small ball when they don't have the personal

Randle was darn good small ball center too, I would of loved to see that continue to develop.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Gonna say it again, if Luke is just going to play BI as a spot-up corner 3 point shooter with LeBron/Rondo driving and kicking them out, then Luke’s better off giving that role to Kuzma.

BI shouldn’t be taking too many long distance jumpers. His game is driving to the lane.

And start Hart.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
He's got his work cut out trying to make us an average team defensively. That's the only thing I'm worried about.

More of that Lebron/Kuz/Ingram/Hart/Ball lineup might be a start.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

Our sets left a lot to be desired last night
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
He's got his work cut out trying to make us an average team defensively. That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Interested in seeing people (LFR hopefully) break down the defense. I couldn't even figure out what we were doing. Rondo in PnR coverage stuck out to me, he just quits when screened, and that was when he was "locked in" last night. JaVale was bad in drop coverage. It seemed like we were confused whether we were switching on every guard/wing hand-off ball screen. Rotations were horrendous.

But I remember the defense being awful the first few games last year and we got it turned around. I'm not very hopeful for this group, though.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

One more year of Luke's coaching, he is going to running out of excuses. Over paid as a player. Over rated as a coach.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
One more year of Luke's coaching, he is going to running out of excuses. Over paid as a player. Over rated as a coach.

That's silly. They've gotten better every year under Luke and I think he did bring in a fresh culture where guys are working hard and playing for more than themselves. Can't overreact from one game . I pretty much pencil in a loss every year @ portland before the season even begins, even when we're a championship contender. We always stink there and they always get up for us. It is what it is.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:

Maybe he'll develop a supposed knee bruise that keeps him out of action for an unknown and unspecified amount of time???
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:

He always seemed to be overrated in pretty much every attribute as a basketball mind and player, all because of his last name. He wasn’t a “smart” player either like some like to constantly preach about him, just like he’s not a smart coach. He had one decent year as a player and suddenly he was given an outrageous 5 year deal that would obviously never pay off. He was called “Puke” his entire career for a reason.

I have not been happy or satisfied with him since his signing. He still has yet to prove in his 3 years here that he’s a competent head coach.

The only guarantee that he will get fired however is if we somehow don’t make the playoffs this year, despite the fact we have freaking Lebron James and a great young core. He’s gonna get the Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers Head Coach) treatment. Despite always showing complete lack of competence and lack of creating team discipline, he will get the benefit of the doubt due to either being “liked” by everybody, or still getting wins in SPITE of him. Especially because he is now being carried by an all time talent (Aaron Rodgers on the Packers, Lebron now the Lakers).
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
kobe8One wrote:

He always seemed to be overrated in pretty much every attribute as a basketball mind and player, all because of his last name. He wasn’t a “smart” player either like some like to constantly preach about him, just like he’s not a smart coach.

I have not been happy or satisfied with him since his signing. He still has yet to prove in his 3 years here that he’s a competent head coach.

The only guarantee that he will get fired however is if we somehow don’t make the playoffs this year, despite the fact we have freaking Lebron James and a great young core. He’s gonna get the Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers Head Coach) treatment. Despite always showing complete lack of competence and lack of creating team discipline, he will get the benefit of the doubt due to either being “liked” by everybody, or still getting wins in SPITE of him. Especially because he is now being carried by an all time talent (Aaron Rodgers on the Packers, Lebron now the Lakers).

If the Lakers don't make the playoffs Luke is gone.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Megaton wrote:
kobe8One wrote:

He always seemed to be overrated in pretty much every attribute as a basketball mind and player, all because of his last name. He wasn’t a “smart” player either like some like to constantly preach about him, just like he’s not a smart coach.

If the Lakers don't make the playoffs Luke is gone.

It’s such a double edged because we want the Lakers to win all the time obviously, and to go all the way every year.

But then there is Luke who has proven thus far in his tenure here that he has been a liability and any wins is going to be in SPITE of his questionable tactics and rotations/substituting, etc. it’s almost like it’s still a win for not making the playoffs cause then we never see Luke coach again.

Hell, we already know for a fact that Luke will never be a good Xs and Os coach, especially out of timeouts. That’s something Mike Dantoni will always have over him despite his own flaws. Yet if Luke has continued to be a slow learner, still awful at lineups, rotations/subs, actual game planning (especially in the half-court), then what is here for?

At least Del Harris wasn’t a total liability in his time with the Lakers to even close to the extent Byron Scott and now Luke Walton have proven thus far.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

OverReaction Ground
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Interested in seeing people (LFR hopefully) break down the defense. I couldn't even figure out what we were doing. Rondo in PnR coverage stuck out to me, he just quits when screened, and that was when he was "locked in" last night. JaVale was bad in drop coverage. It seemed like we were confused whether we were switching on every guard/wing hand-off ball screen. Rotations were horrendous.

But I remember the defense being awful the first few games last year and we got it turned around. I'm not very hopeful for this group, though.

I think with better minutes allocation they can iron out some issues early in the season, but structurally there are too many poor defenders and vets who take possessions off (in a few cases the same offenders) to be much better than middling on defense this season. Lonzo literally pushing Stephenson to the ground in an attempt to get him into position stood out to me because I don't know that Luke has it in him to coach that out of Stephenson (no one else has) or to keep the young kids from getting burned out seeing the vets not being held accountable.

But on the positive side, the young guys look like the most active and engaged defenders on the team except for McGee with Ball and Ingram looking like they could develop into future leaders on that end. And there are moments where the team's length and activity can be clearly intimidating to opponents when they can clean up the miscues and defensive rebounding. So there's some hope there for this season and certainly beyond.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

It's not overreaction when he has had the same damn problems as a coach since he started 3 years ago. ROTATIONS!! He has absolute garbage rotations. Playing Lance 16 minutes and playing him with Lonzo was the reason we lost.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Luke's biggest challenge will be tell guys like Lance that he isn't playing.

Our young guys should play over him as he is really mucking up our offense (and he plays non existent defense).
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Our young guys should play over him as he is really mucking up our offense (and he plays non existent defense).

That's my biggest worry with him. He's too much of a nice guy and not sure if he can make tough decision to snub veteran characters who are past it and give those minutes to those deserving.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

I’ve always supported Luke but that was a really bad game from him. Rotations/lineups, defensive matchups and shot selection was really bad. Stop playing Lance at PG with Lonzo/rondo off the ball. That should never ever happen. Our guards were getting torched by Stauskas, Lillard,McCollum while he had Lonzo(our best perimeter defender) on Seth Curry or the bench. Ingram took the open 3s which I like but he still took multiple horrid midrange jumpers. Lance is gonna pop a damn basketball if he dribbles that much every game. Or break a backboard with his shooting. Stagnant on offense with guys being put in positions they simply shouldn’t be put in.

It’s only one game and he’s done a great job the first two years but I’d be lying if I said the thought that “he may not be ready for this” didn’t cross my mind. We gave up 128 and lost by double digits to a team that I frankly don’t think is that good and will be a borderline playoff team. I hope he’s not being bullied into some of this decisions by LeBron and Magic cause I’m not sure where some of these decisions and play styles came from.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Kuz and Hart were pretty horrible defensively too. Lance can help I believe, just not with the ball in his hands.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

I don’t see why people want Luke gone he isn’t a bad coach.

We have consistently improved under him and he did coach the Warriors to their record setting start .. Sure one could say “anyone could coach that team” but obviously he’s the only one that got them off to 24-0
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

bigtime
Every year our sets aren’t good enough, they have 1 option and then we ISo, lol. Terrible
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kuz and Hart were pretty horrible defensively too. Lance can help I believe, just not with the ball in his hands.

That's one end of the ball. But on offense, atrocious, especially when he's "running" the offense. Makes Clarkson look like Chris Paul.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

It's not just one game overreaction it's the same issues with Luke's coaching since day 1.

Likeable , player-relatable yes. X's and O's guy he is not.

If the Lakers keep Luke, the only way I see it working well is if the Lakers bring in an offensive playcall coach and a defensive playcall coach. Not the Wildcats drinking crew.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's one end of the ball. But on offense, atrocious, especially when he's "running" the offense. Makes Clarkson look like Chris Paul.

I still think his physicality can be beneficial come playoff time but yea he was atrocious yesterday.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Gonna say it again, if Luke is just going to play BI as a spot-up corner 3 point shooter with LeBron/Rondo driving and kicking them out, then Luke’s better off giving that role to Kuzma.

BI shouldn’t be taking too many long distance jumpers. His game is driving to the lane.

And start Hart.

It's why Shaq said Walton should be starting Kuzma.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

bigtime
Every year our sets aren’t good enough, they have 1 option and then we ISo, lol. Terrible

Remember Luke saying in the off season that they won't run complicated sets until the team builds better understanding with each other once the season progresses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 556 of 818
Jump to: