Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 561, 562, 563 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
You can try to play like the Warriors, but without Steph, Klay, Durant, and Dray you’re not gonna get there.

We're playing like the anti-Warriors though. It's reflecting on the win-loss record as well.

Such a stupid offensive system. You can't just out run teams for 2s like it's the 80s. You have to shoot and make 3s in today's game to win. All this running is tiring out the players legs making it harder to shoot 3s especially late in games.

I wonder how true that is.

Top 5 teams in pace last year, and their rank in 3pt%:

1. Pelicans - 13th (36.2%)
2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)
5. Warriors - 1st (39.1%)

Tough to say. The suns and lakers make a great case for that. There's so many other variables. Would the Lakers being lower in pace increase their 3 pt%? They'd definitely have less fast break points for sure.

If they lower their pace a little it'll lead to less turnovers, less rushed shots, and better execution to get an open look. They've looked like chickens with their heads cut off in certain moments of the game so far. I see guys trying to run without even grabbing the ball and that leads to an offensive board for the other team.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
You can try to play like the Warriors, but without Steph, Klay, Durant, and Dray you’re not gonna get there.

We're playing like the anti-Warriors though. It's reflecting on the win-loss record as well.

Such a stupid offensive system. You can't just out run teams for 2s like it's the 80s. You have to shoot and make 3s in today's game to win. All this running is tiring out the players legs making it harder to shoot 3s especially late in games.

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

Tough to say. The suns and lakers make a great case for that. There's so many other variables. Would the Lakers being lower in pace increase their 3 pt%? They'd definitely have less fast break points for sure.

If they lower their pace a little it'll lead to less turnovers, less rushed shots, and better execution to get an open look. They've looked like chickens with their heads cut off in certain moments of the game so far. I see guys trying to run without even grabbing the ball and that leads to an offensive board for the other team.

The excessive leak outs is an issue, an easily fixable one. But the half court offense hasn’t led to good shots. Also, the pace hasn’t led to more TOs thus far.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

The excessive leak outs is an issue, an easily fixable one. But the half court offense hasn’t led to good shots. Also, the pace hasn’t led to more TOs thus far.

It's led to less rebounds because everyone is trying to leak out without securing the ball. That's as bad as a turnover.

I agree our half court sets aren't good and that's on Walton and his staff. They should have brought in a X and Os guru because it's obvious they don't know how to run efficient sets to get good looks.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

It's led to less rebounds because everyone is trying to leak out without securing the ball. That's as bad as a turnover.

I agree our half court sets aren't good and that's on Walton and his staff. They should have brought in a X and Os guru because it's obvious they don't know how to run efficient sets to get good looks.

Sure but it’s not a TO and it’s easily fixable. Pace hasn’t been creating TOs, a lack of rebounding is what is leading to the other team getting extra possessions not pace.

Coulda woulda shoulda. The fact is they need to play fast because they are considerably better in transition and have been getting easy shots around the basket because of the pace. Slowing the pace and forcing 3s in the half court would be ignoring or strengths and playing to our weaknesses.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

You can't win trading 2s for 3s. You have to take and make 3s in today's game. It's foolish to think otherwise. You can play fast but it should be controlled. I'm seeing a lot of guys trying to run before securing the rebound. Lots of quick forced shots. Of course if Walton actually knew how to draw up half court plays this wouldn't be an issue. The pace is a nice way to cover up his own weakness as a coach.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
You can't win trading 2s for 3s. You have to take and make 3s in today's game. It's foolish to think otherwise. You can play fast but it should be controlled. I'm seeing a lot of guys trying to run before securing the rebound. Lots of quick forced shots. Of course if Walton actually knew how to draw up half court plays this wouldn't be an issue. The pace is a nice way to cover up his own weakness as a coach.

Agree to disagree. I think you’re seeing the game through anti-Luke glasses and it’s stopping you from forming reasonable opinions.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Agree to disagree. I think you’re seeing the game through anti-Luke glasses and it’s stopping you from forming reasonable opinions.

Wrong. I am seeing the game how it's being played. We lost these 2 games because of rebounding and 3 point shooting. 2 things that I believe are affected by the pace Luke is trying to implement. It's too fast. You're being a homer for Luke.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Luke shouldn't be posting up LeBron on a team of non-shooters. Right now doesn't makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
LeBron's just out on the post having to Charles Barkley his back to the basket but even the opposing teams have been staying close to surround LeBron in the post, giving a lot of space to his teammates daring them to actually hit a shot which they haven't.

ESPN the Jump today just had a segment about this and they showed like 4 clips or so of LeBron in the 4th quarter being surrounded in the post by Rocket players. Rockets basically close off any driving lanes so when LeBron drives, there's 2-3 Rocket players around him to contest or rebound, and when LeBron passes it to the open man, they just brick a 3.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Wrong. I am seeing the game how it's being played. We lost these 2 games because of rebounding and 3 point shooting. 2 things that I believe are affected by the pace Luke is trying to implement. It's too fast. You're being a homer for Luke.

It’s also why they are among league leaders in fast break points and points in the paint while being one of the most efficient teams on the break. Doing things you are efficient at is smart. He’s already telling guys to stop leaking out so much. They are getting open 3s, the poor shooting is a roster construction issue, not a coaching one. I trashed Luke in here after the Blazers game but yes I believe he’s a good coach. Not cause I’m a homer, cause I’ve watched him increase win totals by a considerable amount every year while drastically improving the worst defense in the league.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

It’s also why they are among league leaders in fast break points and points in the paint while being one of the most efficient teams on the break. Doing things you are efficient at is smart. He’s already telling guys to stop leaking out so much. They are getting open 3s, the poor shooting is a roster construction issue, not a coaching one. I trashed Luke in here after the Blazers game but yes I believe he’s a good coach. Not cause I’m a homer, cause I’ve watched him increase win totals by a considerable amount every year while drastically improving the worst defense in the league.

Seems we suck in the halfcourt though, which is still the majority of our possessions.

We aren’t one of the most efficient teams on the break. We are middle of the pack at best.

Last edited by ringfinger on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

They're sixth as a team with 13 tovs/g while playing the fastest pace in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if a greater proportion of their TOs actually came out of poor half-court execution rather than in transition.

They should play fast AND shoot/make 3s. Why not even try to make 3s in transition? They've done that a couple times.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Seems we suck in the halfcourt though, which is still the majority of our possessions.

Our half court offense definitely hasn't meshed yet.
You would expect that with a new roster.
Can it be fixed? I'm hoping a team with Lebron James gets it fixed as the season moves a long.

Regarding the OP's take, I still don't believe it's been proven.
I thought running the ball up before the defense can setup, leads to better 3 point shots. Is this not the case? OP seems to think otherwise.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

If this was the case then wouldn't it make sense that fast paced teams would be even more tired in the second half of the year and shoot even worse from deep? But the Lakers actually improved to an average team from 3 in the second half of last season iirc.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

We aren’t one of the most efficient teams on the break. We are middle of the pack at best.

Didn’t the OP of the stats thread post we are 4th in fast break efficiency?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

They're sixth as a team with 13 tovs/g while playing the fastest pace in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if a greater proportion of their TOs actually came out of poor half-court execution rather than in transition.

They should play fast AND shoot/make 3s. Why not even try to make 3s in transition? They've done that a couple times.

I’m fine with shooting open 3s in transition but shots at the rim still have the highest ppp in ball right? I think we can lead the league in those kinds of shot attempts with our pace setters/passers/finishers. That would theoretically be a way to successfully trade 2s for 3s if we start defending.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

I’m fine with shooting open 3s in transition but shots at the rim still have the highest ppp in ball right? I think we can lead the league in those kinds of shot attempts with our pace setters/passers/finishers. That would theoretically be a way to successfully trade 2s for 3s if we start defending.

Right, I was thinking in semi-transition. Like last night when Kuz blocked Harden and then Rondo found him for a three.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

Right, I was thinking in semi-transition. Like last night when Kuz blocked Harden and then Rondo found him for a three.

Completely agree.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

2. Suns - 30th (33.4%)
3. Lakers - 29th (34.5%)
4. 76ers - 10th (36.9%)

Completely agree.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

I agree in this era to be successful you have to be at least average at shooting the 3. Lakers currently rank 29th as a team They are off to a slow start as far as shooting 3PT it will get better. Lebron,KCP,and Kuzma are shooting a combined .17%
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Fire Luke?
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Stick a fork in him, he’s done
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Ok seriously. Replacement coach ideas?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject:

So if Luke is the reason we're losing now when we start to win and we will. Will you guys also give him the credit?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Imagine Pop coaching this Lakers roster even with its flaws...
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Luke did it again. No plays out of time out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 561, 562, 563 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 562 of 818
Jump to: