Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 706, 707, 708 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Was I the only one nervous about that Chandler + Moe lineup?

I'll bet Adams, George and Westbrook were, too.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Our team started flat as usual but Luke adjusted. Subs were on point and to close out the game we played a damn good game on defense. Aside from the hiccup (Lonzo’s foul) the game from the last 4 minutes and OT was well game planned. Brought BI in and took play calling out of his hands to lock down PG. Luke knew with Ball, Kuz, and Zubac going we needed the energy of others directed towards the defense. Now it’s about sustainability and consistency. I don’t expect this from each guy every single night but we have many guys on hand that Luke must use in opportune times. It did wonders today.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Saved his job tonight...Told the truth, made bold adjustments, stuck to what was working, got everyone focused. Something to build on, quality win! 😎
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Did today's game seem like Zo had the ball in his hands more often in the half court? I didnt check the first 3 quarters, but in the 4th what caught my eye is at the 4 minute mark, Hart got a rebound.

Now before Hart would have tried to go coast to coast with it. But he held it up and actually threw it backwards to Lonzo to take it to the front court. I was like what? And yes!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
Saved his job tonight...Told the truth, made bold adjustments, stuck to what was working, got everyone focused. Something to build on, quality win! 😎

Well let's see him do this consistently. He's already had a couple games like this this season, but then proceeds to have a bunch of zero adjustment games right after.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

He needs an offensive coordinator big time.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
He needs an offensive coordinator big time.

I think 2 of them are injured.
The 3rd one actually got to orchestrate down the stretch tonight.
JK
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Did today's game seem like Zo had the ball in his hands more often in the half court? I didnt check the first 3 quarters, but in the 4th what caught my eye is at the 4 minute mark, Hart got a rebound.

Now before Hart would have tried to go coast to coast with it. But he held it up and actually threw it backwards to Lonzo to take it to the front court. I was like what? And yes!!!

Yup. Zo had the ball & was in complete control of the offense to end the 4th and OT. Seemed like Kuz and Hart both trusted Zo to run the offense tonight.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

Well let's see him do this consistently. He's already had a couple games like this this season, but then proceeds to have a bunch of zero adjustment games right after.

Agreed, but this particular win probably buys enough slack until LeBron and Rondo coming back shifts the focus off him.

I think that the measure should be to stay on pace for playoffs - if they lose the next 8 for example and dip down in the 10-11 spot before the AS break, a change might and probably should happen. If that change is a trade, he is and should be fine at least till end of season.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Very impressed by Luke tonight:

1. Rode the hot hand with the bench lineup deep into the second quarter

2. That interview he gave after the 1st where he didn't care that OKC shot 3's. He didn't change his defensive plan. He just dared them to shoot more 3s knowing that they more likely will regress back to the mean.

3. Benching Kuz when he had the dumb 3 on 1 break.

4. Leaving Hart out there

5. Running the offense through Zo this time instead of Ingram down the stretch.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject:

So check out the 1:18 play here. This has got to be the most angry I've seen Luke at his own players, and I think it's good. Finally. I don't like it when he's just calm all game, he was really fired up tonight

kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Very impressed by Luke tonight:

1. Rode the hot hand with the bench lineup deep into the second quarter

2. That interview he gave after the 1st where he didn't care that OKC shot 3's. He didn't change his defensive plan. He just dared them to shoot more 3s knowing that they more likely will regress back to the mean.

3. Benching Kuz when he had the dumb 3 on 1 break.

4. Leaving Hart out there

5. Running the offense through Zo this time instead of Ingram down the stretch.

You missed the part where he yanked Javale after he listlessly got a rebound only to have Westbrook get it from him and scored on a dunk.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
So check out the 1:18 play here. This has got to be the most angry I've seen Luke at his own players, and I think it's good. Finally. I don't like it when he's just calm all game, he was really fired up tonight

Luke showing emotion. That's a first Anyway I think he coached a good game tonight.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
drae wrote:

Luke showing emotion. That's a first Anyway I think he coached a good game tonight.

All it took was Javalle fumbling a ball.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

I agree, he showed me something in this game.

You can't just be buddy buddy all the time, there are times the players need tough love.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

Was coaching for his job last night. Need to this every night

And please hire and offensive coach and a shooting coach
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

Isn't it kind of hard to do something consistent when everything around you isn't?

If you have any sort of management experience you will know exactly what I'm talking about. This team has dealt with numerous injuries, suspensions and debt issues early on. Now combine that with the inability to convert open shots and FTs and you don't have a very good chance to succeed. What has remained consistent is defense, that alone has kept us in all the games.

Luke has been doing a fine job. Better than most coaches. There is a reason why players speak highly of him. Here are just a few; Curry, Draymond, Lebron, Kobe, Rondo and I can list coaches that think the same way. Pop and Rick Carlisle. Two championship coaches.

Rondo also gave respect to how the organization was ran. That includes coaching. That's a coaching staff creating an environment. This was one of Luke's main areas of interest when he first got hired. To build a positive environment. I personally have never seen Rondo this engaged with the coaching staff and younger players. It may be because he's up there in basketball age but I tend to believe its the environment.

Luke and his staff has improved the defense year after year. This year we are on pace to be top 3.

He has also improved the win totals every year. This is with rookies and journey men.

This year, before the injuries, we were on pace to win 50 plus games. Lebron playing his least amount of minutes of his career but putting up the same great numbers. Imagine if he converted all his blown lay ups too. The way Luke handled Randle, Russell and Kuzma have been great in my opinion. It was up to the players how they took the criticism.

I don't get the criticism on Luke. Sure the offense can be better, but can it be because half the team is new and the other half are 20 year olds?

I guess all I'm trying to say is give Luke a chance. A chance with a healthy squad. The shooting will get better. The defense is already there. I like our chances.

What I do notice is that all the Twitter GM's spewing out line ups have stopped, I guess the constant injuries took a toll on them.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

Luke should look into bringing in a shooting coach.

And an experienced coach who can be at his ear.

Luke is learning, but will it be fast enough?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Luke is an interesting coach. In his two and half year service, the Lakers are improving year over year in fact.

This year, we started with 3 straight losses but picked up gradually then. Then we’re 5-5 again in previous 10 games before the Christmas win over Warriors. We lost 5 out of 6 after losing LeBron but won 4 out of next 6 again. We have beaten teams like Warriors, Nuggets, Blazers, Thunders, Spurs but lost to Knicks and Cavaliers. We haven’t lost more than 3 games straight but the longest winning streak remains at 4 only too.

With the season progressed, we’re getting better and better but not good or consistent enough as we all want. Our offense is getting better and our defense improved a lot too, but we still can’t put things together consistently. Our players start finding their role and evolving now, but not consistent either.

Like our young players, Luke is doing an adequate job but not as good as we expect.

The absence of LeBron and Rando giving a good opportunity for our young players/team to evolve themselves. Hope they could build some momentum when LeBron and Rando are back and carry it into the playoffs
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

A team that is properly coached beats the weaker teams and competes against the teams that are better.

Although even best coached teams have some lapses, so that a rare loss to a bottom dweller is disappointing but not earth-shattering.

This Lakers team is hugely inconsistent. At one moment, running all over the best teams in the league and then completely laying an egg to the worst teams in the league.

The reason for this I see is that the Lakers have talent but it is not well utilized. The players don't have a proper system in place to guide them in making the best basketball plays. They are running off instinct. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Bottom line, this is a poorly coached basketball team.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Was coaching for his job last night. Need to this every night

And please hire and offensive coach and a shooting coach

Proof?

Seems like Jeanie said just the opposite.

#BannersOverBillboards
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Win or lose, great defensive strategy tonight by Luke and his buddies.
More teams will try implementing the same strategy is my guess.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I’ve been wanting to get rid of Luke for a while now, but must admit that was a well game planned and executed first half against the Rockets.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Luke should look into bringing in a shooting coach.

And an experienced coach who can be at his ear.

Luke is learning, but will it be fast enough?

Isn't Shaw about experienced as it gets? Isn't he a champion player/coach. Still decently young. I don't know who the people want the Lakers to hire. If there were some comparisons it would be great to debate.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Very interesting game plans the last 2 games.
Good stuff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 706, 707, 708 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 707 of 818
Jump to: