Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't make a difference what plays Luke calls during the timeouts if lebron is going to just ignore him. I keep telling you guys that it doesn't matter who our coach is because lebron can only play one way and as long as he's here it's going to be lebron ball.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
There’s just too much hate on these forums right now.

Just about every coach in the league gets this same hate from their fans. We hate on every coach we get like they are the worst coach ever, but then many of them go to other teams and do well. The grass is always greener on the other side. Luke will have no problems finding another team to take him on if the Lakers let him go this summer (I don’t think they will).

The difference between winning and losing in this league is a very fine line. It takes not only quality players, coaching, management, and leadership, but also it has to do with finding the right combination of these assets. It doesn’t always have to do with find the best players, coaches, etc. But instead finding the ones that fit together in ways that are not always obvious. A lot of it is just luck.

Injuries were the Lakers biggest issue by far this year. Luke, Magic, Rob, were not why we fell apart as the season went on. They can all do better, and I believe they will as they get more experience. A lot of the changes they want to make can’t happen in one season (or one off season). Trades take two teams, so if the other team won’t trade, our options are greatly reduced. The only move/s I really thought were clear mistakes was not signing Randle (our best player last year) and to a lesser extent Brook Lopez.

Many of the questionable moves the Lakers have made are just to put us in a position where we can sign a great player. It doesn’t mean we will. All you can do as management is see the opportunities coming and put your team in a position to take advantage of them. They did exactly that and got LeBron which was amazing. However, so far, it hasn’t worked for a second player. None the less they need to keep putting in positions where we can get another great player if we want to be a great team again. You can only be so smart about the moves you make, after that it takes a lot of luck. Magic is a very lucky guy, so lets hope for the best.

I want to see everyone back next year (coaches, management, and many of the players) - healthy. I want to see what adding a couple new players will do for us and what another year of experience do for our current players, coaches, and management.

Every team is loaded with fans (fans?) that hate on their team. Lets try to be better than that and support our team because everyone of the coaches, management, and players are working their butt’s off to make us a success again. And given time (and a little luck) I believe they will.

Let’s go Lakers!!

Luke is statistically the worse coach in the nba
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

Rumor: Bill Self to coach Bulls next season

Quote:
The biggest rumor mill that I found out today from a very reliable source, [is] that Bill Self will be leaving Kansas at the end of the year to become the head coach of the Chicago Bulls.

-Brandon Lang

LINK

there is some belief that this may be the summer to convince big name college coaches to exit for the NBA.....it is based on the belief that the "chickens will be coming home to roost" this summer in several big NCAA programs. Still hearing a lot of noise about if Philly comes up short in playoffs, they will go all out for Jay Wright ('Nova).
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
The biggest rumor mill that I found out today from a very reliable source, [is] that Bill Self will be leaving Kansas at the end of the year to become the head coach of the Chicago Bulls.

-Brandon Lang

LINK

there is some belief that this may be the summer to convince big name college coaches to exit for the NBA.....it is based on the belief that the "chickens will be coming home to roost" this summer in several big NCAA programs. Still hearing a lot of noise about if Philly comes up short in playoffs, they will go all out for Jay Wright ('Nova).

Jay Wright would be a huge get. Especially for this team.

He would also be amazing for Josh Hart especially.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/alexkennedynba/status/1107369983653412864?s=21

Thank God, only 20 more days until the disaster Luke experiment comes to an end.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

-Brandon Lang

LINK

Self has God-like status in Illinois
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
It doesn't make a difference what plays Luke calls during the timeouts if lebron is going to just ignore him. I keep telling you guys that it doesn't matter who our coach is because lebron can only play one way and as long as he's here it's going to be lebron ball.

Yeah it is danger. Lebron is practically running this org with his agent. It'd be different if it was more like miami. Where someone tells him that this is our coach and to make it work.

Though if we get Doc or Phil Jackson, he isn't going to pull of these antics anymore. Doc Rivers is an alpha and sure as hell is not going to play that game with Lebron. Phil Jackson has 4 times as many rings as Lebron and has much more respect in this org than him. Though we all know that Lebron is probably campaigning for a yes man in Lue to come here.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:
kwase wrote:

Yeah it is danger. Lebron is practically running this org with his agent. It'd be different if it was more like miami. Where someone tells him that this is our coach and to make it work.

Though if we get Doc or Phil Jackson, he isn't going to pull of these antics anymore. Doc Rivers is an alpha and sure as hell is not going to play that game with Lebron. Phil Jackson has 4 times as many rings as Lebron and has much more respect in this org than him. Though we all know that Lebron is probably campaigning for a yes man in Lue to come here.

Phil would never agree to coaching lebron after he basically called him a racist for calling his flunkies a "posse". As for Doc, if they get Kawhi in the off season who do you think is much easier to coach...lebron or Kawhi???
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Nope! This is objectively false. It absolutely matters who our coach is. The reason Lebron ignores Walton's plays are because they are garbage plays that are based on 1 crappy action at most and even when executed properly rarely nets points.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

-Brandon Lang

LINK

I've heard you mention that and I agree... it's jus the tip of the iceberg with the NCAA stuff.

So far though, NCAA coaches haven't had the best transitions into the NBA but I guess we'll find out more as they happen.

Wright is still the guy I want.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

The problem with Luke has been the defense.

The defense sucks.

That is why we are on the outside looking in. Look at the Spurs. It comes down to coaching.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26253673/san-antonio-western-conference-climb-spurred-defensive-turnaround
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

The defense sucks.

That is why we are on the outside looking in. Look at the Spurs. It comes down to coaching.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26253673/san-antonio-western-conference-climb-spurred-defensive-turnaround

No, it's not. We've been consistently good on defense since last year, and were good before the tanking this year
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
laker4life wrote:

The defense sucks.

No, it's not. We've been consistently good on defense since last year, and were good before the tanking this year

Good part was when Lonzo was healthy. Took a nosedive after that.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Someone ask B. Shaw who the one is
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Was thinking of the analogy:

The "unstoppable force" of LeBron James (making the playoffs and finals every year)

vs

the "immovable object" of the Los Angeles Lakers (playoff drought since Jerry Buss passed)

Turned out the mediocrity of the franchise under Jeanie Buss was too much. Jeanie Buss is ultimately responsible for the management decisions of this team and she needs to correct this by letting go of her boytoy Luke.

While I feel that the roster had issues, the players were legitimate NBA ballers and the veterans had playoff experience to balance out the youth who had none. The usage and optimization of the players under Luke though was ridiculously bad.

Instead of playing to their strengths, Luke forced a hyper-aggressive style that other teams could turn around on the Lakers.

Luke constantly double-teamed the ball handlers which if it didn't result in turnovers, left tons of open looks (especially 3pters). Instead of icing the pick and roll to force the ball handler outside (which is what most NBA teams do), the Lakers instead consistently gave up the middle. The Laker defenders would bite on almost every fake, Javale would attempt to block every shot and when the Lakers needed stops, they relied on the opponent making mistakes instead of playing solid fundamentals. How many times would you see Lakers fly at shooters during closeouts and foul (especially 3pt shooters)? How many times would the Lakers fail to play smart positional defense or box out?

People point to the Lakers being a "good defensive" team but I don't see it. It capitalized on opponent error, but once the opponent settled into what the Lakers were doing, they were able to beat it consistently, often with the same play being run over and over again where the Lakers would fail to defend it adequately. On the whole, the Lakers are currently 12th in defensive efficiency (at 109.5 pts per 100 possessions) but that didn't get the Lakers the stops they needed since they more often than not trailed because their offense was so bad at scoring only 107.6 pts per 100 possessions (good for 25th).

The Lakers high pace style that Luke insisted on hurt the Lakers more than it helped. Lakers have 6766 Field Goal Attempts so far this year. Opponents have 6974. Lakers essentially created more opportunities for the opponent by playing faster especially since the Lakers consistently had more turnovers and less rebounds than the opponent. Also the fast pace wore out the older players that Luke insisted on playing heavily.

Everyone knows older Lebron is lax on defense, most coaches would scheme around it, Luke instead put it dead front and center.

The lack of a multi-action playbook caused most offensive sets to stall out after the first few seconds and then turned to iso-ball. We smack our heads over iso-ball, but when there is no part of the offensive set left to play, what do you think would happen?

Obviously injuries didn't help either but I really feel that Luke's stubborn non-adaptable style did not fit this team. Luke doesn't have the strategic or tactical sense to develop a solid basketball style or make positive in-game basketball decisions.

Basically, Luke fails at every area of being a successful NBA coach. The only feature he has is being mildly likeable to players because he doesn't discipline them and being cozy with ownership. However, I don't believe those "features" make up for his shortcomings.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Was thinking of the analogy:

The "unstoppable force" of LeBron James (making the playoffs and finals every year)

vs

the "immovable object" of the Los Angeles Lakers (playoff drought since Jerry Buss passed)

Turned out the mediocrity of the franchise under Jeanie Buss was too much. Jeanie Buss is ultimately responsible for the management decisions of this team and she needs to correct this by letting go of her boytoy Luke.

While I feel that the roster had issues, the players were legitimate NBA ballers and the veterans had playoff experience to balance out the youth who had none. The usage and optimization of the players under Luke though was ridiculously bad.

Instead of playing to their strengths, Luke forced a hyper-aggressive style that other teams could turn around on the Lakers.

Luke constantly double-teamed the ball handlers which if it didn't result in turnovers, left tons of open looks (especially 3pters). Instead of icing the pick and roll to force the ball handler outside (which is what most NBA teams do), the Lakers instead consistently gave up the middle. The Laker defenders would bite on almost every fake, Javale would attempt to block every shot and when the Lakers needed stops, they relied on the opponent making mistakes instead of playing solid fundamentals. How many times would you see Lakers fly at shooters during closeouts and foul (especially 3pt shooters)? How many times would the Lakers fail to play smart positional defense or box out?

People point to the Lakers being a "good defensive" team but I don't see it. It capitalized on opponent error, but once the opponent settled into what the Lakers were doing, they were able to beat it consistently, often with the same play being run over and over again where the Lakers would fail to defend it adequately. On the whole, the Lakers are currently 12th in defensive efficiency (at 109.5 pts per 100 possessions) but that didn't get the Lakers the stops they needed since they more often than not trailed because their offense was so bad at scoring only 107.6 pts per 100 possessions (good for 25th).

The Lakers high pace style that Luke insisted on hurt the Lakers more than it helped. Lakers have 6766 Field Goal Attempts so far this year. Opponents have 6974. Lakers essentially created more opportunities for the opponent by playing faster especially since the Lakers consistently had more turnovers and less rebounds than the opponent. Also the fast pace wore out the older players that Luke insisted on playing heavily.

Everyone knows older Lebron is lax on defense, most coaches would scheme around it, Luke instead put it dead front and center.

The lack of a multi-action playbook caused most offensive sets to stall out after the first few seconds and then turned to iso-ball. We smack our heads over iso-ball, but when there is no part of the offensive set left to play, what do you think would happen?

Obviously injuries didn't help either but I really feel that Luke's stubborn non-adaptable style did not fit this team. Luke doesn't have the strategic or tactical sense to develop a solid basketball style or make positive in-game basketball decisions.

Basically, Luke fails at every area of being a successful NBA coach. The only feature he has is being mildly likeable to players because he doesn't discipline them and being cozy with ownership. However, I don't believe those "features" make up for his shortcomings.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

I couldn’t disagree more. The FO knew Luke’s approach to the game, thought that their plan was better, and brought in guys who didn’t fit Luke’s scheme. The absolute worst thing he could have done was to change styles and confuse the young players we are trying to develop. The right move was to tell Stephenson and the other vets to get on their horses and run. Luke knows what works in today’s game while Magic and Pelinka are clueless. Players were developing and we were having more success every season. Until the FO tried exercising their vision and we stepped backwards. Luke isn’t the problem here and the best thing for his career would be to get as far away from this inept FO as soon as he can.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Luke got thrown under the bus, but he sure isn't free of blame. His rotations, schemes, and mediocre coaching staff need a lot of work. I wouldn't be too upset if Lakers kept Luke but with caveat that he revamp the assistant coaching staff.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Wrote last night about Luke Walton & the awkwardness of the NBA's hottest coaching opening not actually being, you know, open. One note: After the Lakers loss in Milwaukee, Jeanie Buss rode back on the team plane in a seat next to... Luke Walton. Read on:

Clown show runs from the top
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I couldn’t disagree more. The FO knew Luke’s approach to the game, thought that their plan was better, and brought in guys who didn’t fit Luke’s scheme. The absolute worst thing he could have done was to change styles and confuse the young players we are trying to develop. The right move was to tell Stephenson and the other vets to get on their horses and run. Luke knows what works in today’s game while Magic and Pelinka are clueless. Players were developing and we were having more success every season. Until the FO tried exercising their vision and we stepped backwards. Luke isn’t the problem here and the best thing for his career would be to get as far away from this inept FO as soon as he can.

FO is the most responsible for this year's debacle. However, Luke has shown an inability to adjust in-game. Certain players play 17 minute stretches while other key players may sit on the bench during that time. His overall decision making is lacking. That's not to say he isn't a good teacher.

Contrary to what most posters believe regarding his player development ability, I think Lonzo was developing nicely during his second year and BI has been showing improvements each year. Kuzma's shot just isn't falling and his defensive effort is a bit better this season, albeit it's still garbage.

Overall, it would have been ideal to have a young team with a young coach and everyone can learn to grow together. The problem is having LeBron on the roster. This forces the franchise to win now and not wait for everyone to develop.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Hearing some rumor talk on twitter that the Lakers will contact Greg Popovich to show interest.

First Rick Carlisle and now Pop... Lakers finally starting to gather better options.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hearing some rumor talk on twitter that the Lakers will contact Greg Popovich to show interest.

First Rick Carlisle and now Pop... Lakers finally starting to gather better options.

They're not options. They're dreams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Just think of it this way..

Even if we have no chance at Rick or Pop, it does show that we are serious about the HC vacancy candidates, Maginka and Jeannie know they need to strike gold with there coaching hire.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Just think of it this way..

Even if we have no chance at Rick or Pop, it does show that we are serious about the HC vacancy candidates, Maginka and Jeannie know they need to strike gold with there coaching hire.

I'm not too sure if Jeanie is rushing to replace Luke like Magic may be. Hopefully, no tampering allegations are made.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Jesus Christ, IG
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 783 of 818
Jump to: