Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
deal wrote:
Nobody was going to actually coach the misfits the FO put in front of Luke, then letting go real good pieces? Luke was not our biggest problem by far.

I'll never get the Luke hate here but whatever...

He was not the biggest problem but he was still a problem.

Only the bigger problems still remain
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
There's no way Lue is not our next coach. Let's see... Lebron approved? Check. Former Laker? Check. Hell, former Laker on a championship team? check!

I still can't believe magic though. Pelinka should have told him "dude, you don't want to do the grind? Fine. Go chill and collect your $10M... And I'll call you when I need you to help pitch a free agent" maybe he did?

No, he inserted the knife into Magic’s back and twisted it.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
There's no way Lue is not our next coach. Let's see... Lebron approved? Check. Former Laker? Check. Hell, former Laker on a championship team? check!

I still can't believe magic though. Pelinka should have told him "dude, you don't want to do the grind? Fine. Go chill and collect your $10M... And I'll call you when I need you to help pitch a free agent" maybe he did?

How? He had nothing to do with Magic leaving.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

Congrats Luke! I called it when we first signed lebron that you'd get fired. It's what he does. I'm sure you feel a lot better this morning knowing you don't have to deal with him anymore.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

I like how we’ve gone from people hating Luke to thinking he did nothing to deserve being fired.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
I like how we’ve gone from people hating Luke to thinking he did nothing to deserve being fired.

Just a typical day in the LG tootsie world
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
So happy Luke is now at Sactown. Let him stunt the growth of all their young assets, will take out a future western conference contender. Guaranteed they are not winning more games the coming season, then they did this year under Joerger.

Going to be interesting to see how Walton impacts the Kings. They have a decent young roster and will likely play a loose fast paced style on offense and buy-in and work hard on defense for Walton. IMO they have the roster and passion to play hard every night. Developing the chemistry and culture to start winning.

IMO hiring Walton keeps them trending in the right direction.

Still a lot of questions on what the Lakers are trying to achieve. From hiring a HC to chasing the 2 max plan. There is no culture or chemistry. We will see how they build a roster this offseason.

I wish Walton luck. Except on the nights against the Lakers, of course. But I'm guessing the Kings are on the rise and competing for a playoff spot next year. who knows what the Lakers will be doing.

Walton becomes another casualty of "the plan". League seems to be strewn with players that succeed despite not being good enough for the Lakers. We shall see if Walton adds to that list.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
So happy Luke is now at Sactown. Let him stunt the growth of all their young assets, will take out a future western conference contender. Guaranteed they are not winning more games the coming season, then they did this year under Joerger.

Going to be interesting to see how Walton impacts the Kings. They have a decent young roster and will likely play a loose fast paced style on offense and buy-in and work hard on defense for Walton. IMO they have the roster and passion to play hard every night. Developing the chemistry and culture to start winning.

IMO hiring Walton keeps them trending in the right direction.

Still a lot of questions on what the Lakers are trying to achieve. From hiring a HC to chasing the 2 max plan. There is no culture or chemistry. We will see how they build a roster this offseason.

I wish Walton luck. Except on the nights against the Lakers, of course. But I'm guessing the Kings are on the rise and competing for a playoff spot next year. who knows what the Lakers will be doing.

Walton becomes another casualty of "the plan". League seems to be strewn with players that succeed despite not being good enough for the Lakers. We shall see if Walton adds to that list.

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Man you guys never stop bashing Luke. Leave the guy alone, he just lost his dream job and you're mad he's now the Kings coach

Who really cares if vlade divac thought he was the right man for the job. It's Vlade's job on the line and he's the only one who has anything to lose with his decision. You guys can monday qb all you want but you have nothing to lose.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

The temptation to get in a Lebron slight... Now he's a butterfly ready to blossom
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Now is this a good example of white privilege? The guy was unemployed a day!

Wow, nice statement. Has nothing to do with being white. Maybe read a little on why he got the job so quickly:

1) Kings wanted Luke as a coach since 2016
2) Kings fired their coach this week
3) Luke parted ways with the Lakers
4) Kings wanted Luke as a coach since 2016
5) Kings and Luke had mutual interest
6) Kings made Luke a deal

He could have been black, Chinese, Indian or Mexican, didn't matter. Its who the Kings wanted.

By the way, Vlade is not white, FYI...in case you didn't know.

Serbians are white. Ethnically, genetically and culturally.

The fringe of the White Power movement (OK, the fringe of the fringe) assign a "lesser degree of whiteness" to central Europeans and Slavs from the more southerly portions of Europe, but genetically it is a non-starter.

Ditto Armenians & Persians - geographically, they are Asian, but genetically they are Caucasian.

And yes, Luke is benefiting from white privilege:

Ty Lue - 3 years a HC: 211-128, 3 trips to playoffs, NBA title, cannot buy a job.

Mark Jackson - 3 years as HC: 121-109, 2 trips to playoffs, cannot buy a job.

Jason Kidd - 5 years as HC: 183-190, 3 trips to playoffs, cannot buy a job

Luke Walton - 3 years as HC: 98-148, no playoffs, had a job lined up before he lost this one.

The black guys are all headcases/attitude problems/lazy-bums-with-no-work-ethic, despite making the playoffs and winning championships.

The white guy is 50 games below .500 with a high water mark of 36, with a team that has consistently failed to defend or play as a team.

But the white guy deserves another shot.

And yet the mods closed the "White Male Sports Privilege" thread.

In general, I’d tend to agree with you that it is much much easier to be a white coach and both get and keep a job with similar performance than a minority coach. The narrative is different too. White coaches are the ones most associated with X and O brilliance, while most minority coaches are relegated to either disciplinarian or players coach.

Not sure that Kidd and Jackson are the best examples of unfairness though, and frankly, Lue quit with health issues and I haven’t exactly seen him looking for jobs up to now. But there are a number of minority coaches that might have a beef.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

Nice guys don't make good head coaches despite what his boy Kerr says. Luke is and always will be associate head coach material not head coach. The Queens may regret this move too in a couple years.
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Nice guys don't make good head coaches despite what his boy Kerr says. Luke is and always will be associate head coach material not head coach. The Queens may regret this move too in a couple years.
Don't hate me but Kerr is overrated too, anyone despite Mark Jackson can win with that roster.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

GT said it well on one of the recent Locked on Lakers podcasts: yes Pelinka likely stabbed Magic in the back, but Magic is the one that handed him the knife and turned around.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
deal wrote:
Nobody was going to actually coach the misfits the FO put in front of Luke, then letting go real good pieces? Luke was not our biggest problem by far.

I'll never get the Luke hate here but whatever...

He was not the biggest problem but he was still a problem.

Exactly. He was quantitatively (been enumerated how awful and basic his schemes were) and qualitatively (rotation management eye test) awful. That other things weren’t optimal shouldn’t impact the fact that we could improve the coaching side of the house by getting a better coach.

We'll see IF we actually improve coaching or the players. IMO the biggest
problem was the misfits the FO contracted around LeBron and injury.

IF we hire Lue, LeBron is the coach.

What about before we got LeBron? Luke was awful at rotations and locker room culture from the get go. No one here can articulate his offensive & defensive philosophies - least of all his players.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

GT said it well on one of the recent Locked on Lakers podcasts: yes Pelinka likely stabbed Magic in the back, but Magic is the one that handed him the knife and turned around.

How so?
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

How so?

by not being involved as much as they expected him to be?
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
trablos wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

How so?

by not being involved as much as they expected him to be?

Pretty much. Widely reported that he didn’t put in anything close to the requisite time in the role and was hardly ever around, yet overrode people that actually were putting in the work. That plus his tactless and brash ways...he definitely made himself an easy target for RP’s backstabbing (which I fully believe happened).
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

If RP backstabbed Magic because Magic never did dick except walk around and say “hey I’m Magic Johnson!” then good. Magic was not pulling his weight and overriding people.

I have a boss who sometimes comes in at 12 and leaves at 4:30. I wouldn’t “backstab” him but sometimes I want to point and laugh at his face when he comes in and complains about revenue being down or costs being too high. I’m like cool story bro. WTF have you done to look into it you LAZY bum.

Just saying.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I guess I'm old school. I'm with Pelinka if that is the case. You lead by example.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Yes, Pelinka might have made a lot of noise about what Magic did or didn’t do, but it was still Magic doing or not doing.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Now is this a good example of white privilege? The guy was unemployed a day!

Wow, nice statement. Has nothing to do with being white. Maybe read a little on why he got the job so quickly:

1) Kings wanted Luke as a coach since 2016
2) Kings fired their coach this week
3) Luke parted ways with the Lakers
4) Kings wanted Luke as a coach since 2016
5) Kings and Luke had mutual interest
6) Kings made Luke a deal

He could have been black, Chinese, Indian or Mexican, didn't matter. Its who the Kings wanted.

By the way, Vlade is not white, FYI...in case you didn't know.

Serbians are white. Ethnically, genetically and culturally.

The fringe of the White Power movement (OK, the fringe of the fringe) assign a "lesser degree of whiteness" to central Europeans and Slavs from the more southerly portions of Europe, but genetically it is a non-starter.

Ditto Armenians & Persians - geographically, they are Asian, but genetically they are Caucasian.

And yes, Luke is benefiting from white privilege:

Ty Lue - 3 years a HC: 211-128, 3 trips to playoffs, NBA title, cannot buy a job.

Mark Jackson - 3 years as HC: 121-109, 2 trips to playoffs, cannot buy a job.

Jason Kidd - 5 years as HC: 183-190, 3 trips to playoffs, cannot buy a job

Luke Walton - 3 years as HC: 98-148, no playoffs, had a job lined up before he lost this one.

The black guys are all headcases/attitude problems/lazy-bums-with-no-work-ethic, despite making the playoffs and winning championships.

The white guy is 50 games below .500 with a high water mark of 36, with a team that has consistently failed to defend or play as a team.

But the white guy deserves another shot.

And yet the mods closed the "White Male Sports Privilege" thread.

In general, I’d tend to agree with you that it is much much easier to be a white coach and both get and keep a job with similar performance than a minority coach. The narrative is different too. White coaches are the ones most associated with X and O brilliance, while most minority coaches are relegated to either disciplinarian or players coach.

Not sure that Kidd and Jackson are the best examples of unfairness though, and frankly, Lue quit with health issues and I haven’t exactly seen him looking for jobs up to now. But there are a number of minority coaches that might have a beef.

Steve Clifford got a second job after being fired by The bobcats and Kidd and Jackson don’t deserve a second chance. Ty lue won a championship. Let any coach in the league who’s won one if it’s Kerr, Carlile, POP , Spo and they would have another job within a week.

I’m more upset about the narratives being preached why they haven’t got another chance. It’s like everyone was saying Kapernick couldn’t play anymore and how terrible he was and some nfl teams ran some of the worst quarterbacks out there who shouldn’t have been in the league
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Yes, Pelinka might have made a lot of noise about what Magic did or didn’t do, but it was still Magic doing or not doing.

Frankly I don’t even mind if RP had a (large) hand in Magic stepping down. I even don’t take much issue with his lack of experience. The reason I’m so unnerved about him being in charge is that his reputation across the league is terrible.

A great deal of the benefit the Sam Presti’s and RC Buford’s of the league provide their teams is a terrific reputation with their peers, agents, etc... Pelinka seems to have a lot of enemies and not many that would vouch for his character.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
A great deal of the benefit the Sam Presti’s and RC Buford’s of the league provide their teams is a terrific reputation with their peers, agents, etc... Pelinka seems to have a lot of enemies and not many that would vouch for his character.

This is an issue - if no one returns your calls, you won't get much done.

I tend to think that this concern is overblown - the Lakers have made an number of moves since Rob has come onboard.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Rubin wrote:

This is an issue - if no one returns your calls, you won't get much done.

I tend to think that this concern is overblown - the Lakers have made an number of moves since Rob has come onboard.

It’s a good point. Frankly now that it’s quite clear Jeanie is going with RP, I’m cautiously (somewhat) optimistic he’ll do a solid job.

The frustration is not that RP is destined to fail, it’s that we could quite realistically have anyone we want right now. You’d better believe Masai Ujiri, Bob Myers, David Griffin (before NOLA hired him) and maybe even Presti and Buford would have to seriously consider it if Jeanie offered them full control and a fat salary. It’s been widely reported that execs around the league see this as a fantastic job.

But it’s plain as day Jeanie doesn’t and likely will never think like that. If the whole Magic debacle didn’t convince her that this “all in the family” nonsense is an inept way to run the franchise, nothing will. And as a fan that’s pretty devastating/infuriating. Until she’s no longer in charge we’re going to be severely handicapped as a franchise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 814 of 818
Jump to: