Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Next Head Coach should be whoever Mr. Durant wants to coach the Lakers. Period.

Durant turning into LeGM would be disastrous for the organization.

exactly we're not the cavs
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
If I don't see names like Ollie, Wright, Atkinson, Blatt, Some of the Spurs coaches on the interview list. Forget about this ownership group or FO.

He is a Philly east coast guy. He was a hot name about 5 years ago, kind of fell off, now he is back. I think he stays and rides this wave for a few more years. If I had to guess, he could be coaching the Sixers a few years down the road.

Agreed, he's an east coast guy. You people want an idea of his practices? Here is a dvd summary

Quote:
Jay Wright is a big believer in developing an attitude for his teams at Villanova. His practices, especially the early-season, tone-setting practices, are a great example of this attitude and how he has instilled it into his Wildcat teams. In this DVD, Coach Wright will take you through an entire practice early in the season. Like all top-notch coaches, his practice is organized, energized, positive and enthusiastic. To emphasize the importance of shooting, all players work on a set-lift shooting technique prior to practice. After a quick 5-10 minute huddle at mid-court, a 30 minute segment includes 7 minutes of stretching, 4 minutes of passing, 9 minutes of shooting, 4 minutes of footwork, and 4 minutes of ball handling. This half-hour shows Wright's commitment to solid technique and fundamentals, which are part of every practice. Next are a series of small group drills with offensive and defensive emphasis. Drills include post feeds, lay-up drill, one two-step jumpers, jab series, and the lefty drill. Players are pushed and hard work is expected from the ever-positive Wildcat staff. Wright stresses communication between players and staff, which allows a strong bond to be built. Wright preaches good habits and a positive approach as he motivates his teams to elite status year in and year out. This practice showcases Villanova's philosophy with fundamentals, individual and team drills, and full-court play. Wright shows his coaching style by constantly praising and teaching his players during practice. An intense scrimmage puts it all together as practice concludes with "Win the Game", a team building free throw drill. Jay Wright's practice session combines all the ingredients needed for building a championship team every year!
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Seems like he's a loyal guy and will stay but other than a bench reaction and being best dressed, is there a reason that you people want him?

What are his beliefs? Coaching Style?

I didn't watch the game so help me out here

Ye, if someone could elaborate on this it would actually be helpful lol

He uses a 4 out motion offense. His system is very guard oriented.

Here is a breakdown:

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/01/07/villanovas-four-motion-offense-leading-big-east-revival/

He is also very creative on defense, he never had the best talent but they are well coached.

They switch alot, front the post and lead the driver into the help defender.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
https://vine.co/v/iI7EFe3KKBT

Bang! That's a G right there.

That was the look of a man who was thinking to himself "that's right MF'ers, that was my play call, what's up?"

#LikeABoss

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
22 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Seems like he's a loyal guy and will stay but other than a bench reaction and being best dressed, is there a reason that you people want him?

Here is a breakdown:

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/01/07/villanovas-four-motion-offense-leading-big-east-revival/

He is also very creative on defense, he never had the best talent but they are well coached.

Thanks man, this is super helpful
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
22 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Here is a breakdown:

Thanks man, this is super helpful

Yeah, thanks man.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
22 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Here is a breakdown:

Good read. I like what I see.

(Obviously) I think Russ/JC/Randle would all thrive in an offense with maximum spacing. Would be great for all 3 of them. Imagine Julius post up a smaller guy with all 4 guys out in small ball situations.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

I would take any coach who is currently up to date with how effective basketball is being played and is progressive. After having to suffer through Byron's 1975 style basketball I'll take almost anyone else.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

getting the hottest collegian coach won't solve anything if Buss kids won't give him freedom and patience. Boston struggled the 1st couple seasons under Brad Stevens while they cleaning house and instill his philosophy, they are enjoying the fruition now. i don't think Buss kids gonna be patient enough (especially Jeannie) for this to work, before you know it, she'd be going on talk show bring up phil's name again.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

So he's making about $2.5MM at Nova. Would he leave that and his now freshly championed program to come to the soap opera that has been the Lakers? Does he like the challenge of coaching the best basketball brand ever while they are at their lowest ever? Does he see D'LO/Don Julio/JC as cornerstones who can win big?

BANG:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/Bang_Bang_Jay_Wrights_subtle_reaction_to_game-winning_shot_.html

Lakers talk has started:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20160404_Sielski__Wright_faces_choice_on_NBA_again.html
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
getting the hottest collegian coach won't solve anything if Buss kids won't give him freedom and patience. Boston struggled the 1st couple seasons under Brad Stevens while they cleaning house and instill his philosophy, they are enjoying the fruition now. i don't think Buss kids gonna be patient enough (especially Jeannie) for this to work, before you know it, she'd be going on talk show bring up phil's name again.

One thing brass has done is give coaching freedom. They lose patience quick but I think that unless we sign KD, they know it's time to take the long term approach and be patient with the process of playing the young guys.

Brown-- Kobe ran him out w/death stare + Lakers had championship core
MDA-- never got a fair shake because of Phil then losing started
Byron-- can't seem to do anything right and has us a the lowest of lows.

FO also knows the importance of being entertaining and that is where Byron has completely failed. At least we were fun to watch and the young guys were really having those moments, he'd still have his job. But we're ugly to watch and the young guns are all held back.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

One thing brass has done is give coaching freedom. They lose patience quick but I think that unless we sign KD, they know it's time to take the long term approach and be patient with the process of playing the young guys.

Brown-- Kobe ran him out w/death stare + Lakers had championship core
MDA-- never got a fair shake because of Phil then losing started
Byron-- can't seem to do anything right and has us a the lowest of lows.

FO also knows the importance of being entertaining and that is where Byron has completely failed. At least we were fun to watch and the young guys were really having those moments, he'd still have his job. But we're ugly to watch and the young guns are all held back.

I agree with all of that besides your take on MDA. He had a championship level core as well. Yea the Phil situation put some unnecessary pressure on him but he still did a very poor job.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:

5 hours ago – via New York Post
For those tabbing Tom Thibodeau, who looks even more attractive because of the Fred Hoiberg disaster, it’s not happening. The Knicks also are getting a strong sense Luke Walton is not leaving the Warriors this soon.
Coaching, Tom Thibodeau, Luke Walton, Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
22 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Here is a breakdown:

Great stuff. I have seen some Nova but you seem to be very familiar so I have a few questions for you. He seems to preach ball pressure from the guards to really set the down defensively. Does he actively recruit those types of guys or does he seem to develop them? Would Clarkson and Russell be capable of doing what he wants on the defensive end?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
22 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Here is a breakdown:

Great stuff. I have seen some Nova but you seem to be very familiar so I have a few questions for you. He seems to preach ball pressure from the guards to really set the down defensively. Does he actively recruit those types of guys or does he seem to develop them? Would Clarkson and Russell be capable of doing what he wants on the defensive end?

He recruits a lot of New York and Philadelphia kids that are tough. I think he kind of had to develop the brand of guard pressure and playing a guard oriented system because it might have been harder for him to get the top recruits compared to the other schools, so he looks for toughness, smarts, and work ethic. He has had guards from Kyle Lowery, Randy Foye, Scottie Reynolds, and the last few years he had Ryan Arcidiacono who is basically an extension of the coach.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

I think Clarkson and Russell can do what Wright does on defense but I would like a better defender than Clarkson at the 2. He switches a lot and helping the helper is big in his defensive system. Lead your guy to a helper or wall and scramble to get a body on the open guy.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

I have tiers of excitement for our new headcoach:

Ecstatic:
Luke Walton
Kevin Ollie - his buyout is only $1 million
Thibs

Happy but some reservations:
Jay Wright
Messina

Decent: (B-)
Scott Brooks
Hornacek

Pissed:
Mark Jackson
Derek Fisher
David Blatt

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

Ecstatic:
Luke Walton
Thibs

Jay Wright
Messina

Scott Brooks
Hornacek

Pissed:
Mark Jackson
Derek Fisher
David Blatt

Don't forget to add Brian Shaw to the pissed list.
No reservations with Thibs? Runs players VERY hard. Didn't take direction well from Chicago's FO, when they tried to intervene.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
No way he leaves villanova

I think you're right, but I didn't think there was any way that Brad Stevens would leave, either. Although 'Nova is more high-profile in college than Butler is. Anyhow, yeah, probably very unlikely that he would leave college. He's a star in college basketball, especially now. He can be Tom Izzo for the rest of his career if he wants to be.

Yeah. Winning a national championship is your ticket to the good life. Villanova will take care of Wright as long a he is there. And we want to ask him to Coach US out of our rebuild? lol.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

I like Kenny Atkinson more than any on that ecstatic list
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

kikanga wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Ecstatic:
Luke Walton
Thibs

Jay Wright
Messina

Scott Brooks
Hornacek

Pissed:
Mark Jackson
Derek Fisher
David Blatt

Don't forget to add Brian Shaw to the pissed list.
No reservations with Thibs?

The Lakers defense has been so bad that I'm not as worried about their offensive system with Thibs if he can get the right assistants. I'm thinking the year away from the game has probably done him some good.

Yes on Brian Shaw being on the pissed list.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I like Kenny Atkinson more than any on that ecstatic list

I honestly don't know anything about him. Please enlighten

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
No way he leaves villanova

I think you're right, but I didn't think there was any way that Brad Stevens would leave, either. Although 'Nova is more high-profile in college than Butler is. Anyhow, yeah, probably very unlikely that he would leave college. He's a star in college basketball, especially now. He can be Tom Izzo for the rest of his career if he wants to be.

Yeah. Winning a national championship is your ticket to the good life. Villanova will take care of Wright as long a he is there. And we want to ask him to Coach US out of our rebuild? lol.

Well no team competing for a title would hire him, so a situation like the Lakers is what he would look forward to if he joined the NBA.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
https://vine.co/v/iI7EFe3KKBT

Bang! That's a G right there.

That was the look of a man who was thinking to himself "that's right MF'ers, that was my play call, what's up?"

#LikeABoss

Kinda looked like he was trying to swallow the vomit in his mouth before someone touched him. "Holy (bleep), it went in ... (gulp)"

Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

1. Thibs(team would win 20 more games without roster changes)

2. Ollie(better shot at getting durant)

3. Walton(Jury still out)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 2 of 818
Jump to: