Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Wright is a system coach (4 out 1 in motion). You don't want a college coach who has a system in the NBA. That's recipe for disaster. Personally, I think that to be successful, NBA coaches have to have adaptability and a mastery of all styles of play rather than just one system that they try to fit pieces into. Coach K would be successful with pros because he can adapt the style of play to fit the strengths of his personnel. Same thing with a guy like Izzo whose teams focus on defense and rebounding, which would translate to the pros. Pitino was not because he tried to bring his system of full court press to the NBA. College system guys like Boeheim (2-3), Roy Williams (secondary break), Jay Wright would struggle in the NBA without GM powers to get personnel that fit their systems, and that's without even considering whether their system would work in the NBA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

4 out 1 is what the Spurs essentially ran till they added more layers to it. And it works fine for Van Gundy.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
4 out 1 is what the Spurs essentially ran till they added more layers to it. And it works fine for Van Gundy.

they don't run it with 4 guards and stan van gundy has GM powers. if you bring in a system guy you better give him GM powers.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Wright is a system coach (4 out 1 in motion). You don't want a college coach who has a system in the NBA. That's recipe for disaster. Personally, I think that to be successful, NBA coaches have to have adaptability and a mastery of all styles of play rather than just one system that they try to fit pieces into. Coach K would be successful with pros because he can adapt the style of play to fit the strengths of his personnel. Same thing with a guy like Izzo whose teams focus on defense and rebounding, which would translate to the pros. Pitino was not because he tried to bring his system of full court press to the NBA. College system guys like Boeheim (2-3), Roy Williams (secondary break), Jay Wright would struggle in the NBA without GM powers to get personnel that fit their systems, and that's without even considering whether their system would work in the NBA.

A 4 out 1 in motion isn't a super strict system. It's fairly adaptable in itself. More of a structure to build off of than a strict system IMO.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
I think Clarkson and Russell can do what Wright does on defense but I would like a better defender than Clarkson at the 2. He switches a lot and helping the helper is big in his defensive system. Lead your guy to a helper or wall and scramble to get a body on the open guy.

The Lakers are absolutely horrid at helping the helper this year. Probably the most frustrating part of their defense this year IMO so if he focuses on that its a major plus. Russell Randle and Nance all have a chance to become versatile defenders so I don't mind a defense with lots of switching. I think a better defender at the two than Clarkson is ideal for every system
wildcat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

Tex Winter, a college coach, had a system that was used by 11 NBA championship teams. A system is precisely what the Lakers need.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

D Fish. He can start dating Khloe Kardashian. It will be great
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

wildcat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Tex Winter, a college coach, had a system that was used by 11 NBA championship teams. A system is precisely what the Lakers need.

yup just as all those successful triangle teams without phil jackson, kobe bryant, shaquille o'neal, and michael jordan proves right?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

A 4 out 1 in motion isn't a super strict system. It's fairly adaptable in itself. More of a structure to build off of than a strict system IMO.

every "system" is a structure to build off of. they all need the right personnel to succeed. my point, again, is that to have a system coach succeed in the NBA, that system coach needs to have GM powers to find the right personnel. are you ready to give a college coach carte blanche to be coach AND make personnel decisions?

the first question is, can this system work in the NBA? if you think yes, it can, then the second question is, do we have a GM who understands this system as well as the coach we want does? if not, then are we ready to hand over the reigns of personnel and salary and all the things that come with being a GM to this coach?
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

What about a Ime Udoka?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

He is bright, I am sure he can adapt and add more layers to his system. But in college he played the hand that was delt, he couldn't recruit the big names but there was a market for the types of players he could get and he has a good system for that. I mean when he had Foye and Lowery it was more pick and roll based, he allows players to play to their strengths. He even fed the 7 footer on mismatches he had throughout the season and tournament

Imagine his defensive system with a Biyambo or Whiteside as the last line of defense?.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Anyone but Byron... even Scooby-Doo will work.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Anyone but Byron... even Scooby-Doo will work.

as long as all fans get a box of Scooby snacks to the opener i am al lfor it
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

every "system" is a structure to build off of. they all need the right personnel to succeed. my point, again, is that to have a system coach succeed in the NBA, that system coach needs to have GM powers to find the right personnel. are you ready to give a college coach carte blanche to be coach AND make personnel decisions?

the first question is, can this system work in the NBA? if you think yes, it can, then the second question is, do we have a GM who understands this system as well as the coach we want does? if not, then are we ready to hand over the reigns of personnel and salary and all the things that come with being a GM to this coach?

I'm trying to remember, and perhaps you can provide some knowledge on this: did Brad Stevens have a system at Butler? Is he doing things with the Celtics that are very similar, or has he totally adapted to the pro game?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I'm trying to remember, and perhaps you can provide some knowledge on this: did Brad Stevens have a system at Butler? Is he doing things with the Celtics that are very similar, or has he totally adapted to the pro game?

He runs similar stuff but at a quicker pace. In college his teams would play slower, but I guess with better players in the NBA he is able to pick up the pace. He did go inside more to the bigs at Butler and seems more guard oriented in the NBA.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Stevens had a motion offense at Butler. I think people are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Every team should have a system in place, and that system should be adapted to suit the personnel available. I am not against systems. I am against coaches who only know and only coach one system for their entire career, because it is inevitably going to be the system they know the best, and so for them to replicate whatever success they have had at one level, they will have to use that same system at the next level. In college, these coaches can recruit players to fit the system of their choice. In the pros, that is not possible unless they are the GM. I am vehemently against a coach also being a GM unless they have really spent time in the front office understanding cap space, salary negotiations, draft talent evaluation, etc. etc. It's a totally different mindspace.

With respect to Stevens adapting to the NBA game - just consider this. Butler under Stevens was never above 200th in the nation in pace. The Celtics are 3rd in the NBA in pace. He played a methodical half court style in college, but now plays a fast pace and open style in the pros.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Stevens had a motion offense at Butler. I think people are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Every team should have a system in place, and that system should be adapted to suit the personnel available. I am not against systems. I am against coaches who only know and only coach one system for their entire career, because it is inevitably going to be the system they know the best, and so for them to replicate whatever success they have had at one level, they will have to use that same system at the next level. In college, these coaches can recruit players to fit the system of their choice. In the pros, that is not possible unless they are the GM. I am vehemently against a coach also being a GM unless they have really spent time in the front office understanding cap space, salary negotiations, draft talent evaluation, etc. etc. It's a totally different mindspace.

With respect to Stevens adapting to the NBA game - just consider this. Butler under Stevens was never above 200th in the nation in pace. The Celtics are 3rd in the NBA in pace. He played a methodical half court style in college, but now plays a fast pace and open style in the pros.

He had to play a slower pace in college though because he didn't have the best players and slowing the game down gave his team a better chance of winning.

Wright isn't any different than Stevens as far as having a system in college, but Wright still is able to play a faster style because his system is guard oriented and to have success at the college level you need to have good guards. He has done fine for the job he is asked to do.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

If I was Luke and I was considering what job would be the easiest to take as my first head coach job. I'd pick Minny.
They got another lotto pick joining their impressive young roster this offseason . An average coach leads them to 10-15 more wins next year, easy.
Just via natural progression from Wiggins, towns, Lavine, and Dieng.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm sold on Wright because ...

- Communication/Development
- Adjustments
- Game Planning

If the Lakers are keeping this young core together and adding a guy like Simmons or Ingram. He's the guy to bring in as head coach. Plus I think he's savvy enough to understand how to play the media in LA. He dresses well too ... maybe switch up the pin stripe suits a bit.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If I was Luke and I was considering what job would be the easiest to take as my first head coach job. I'd pick Minny.
They got another lotto pick joining their impressive young roster this offseason . An average coach leads them to 10-15 more wins next year, easy.

Luke is smart to stick around in G St. Kerr is still not physically 100%. After this season is over he will likely have to have another back operation to fix the leaking spinal fluid.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Luke is smart to stick around in G St. Kerr is still not physically 100%. After this season is over he will likely have to have another back operation to fix the leaking spinal fluid.

Feel bad for Kerr. But I agree. Staying in GS is Luke's best option at the moment.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Was Hoiberg a system coach at Iowa St? I just remember that they were a team that liked to push tempo, but it doesn't seem like he's doing well in Chicago. Also, has Billy Donovan brought anything to the table for OKC or is it just the usual KD/Westbrook show?
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

If Luke and Wright both stay I'd be very interested in bringing Messina back.

He wouldn't be a retread and has spent the last few seasons learning from Popovich in San Antonio.

I hope the front office considers him and gives him an interview.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I think Hoiberg should have gone to a younger team w/o an identity yet i.e. us.

Hard to change the culture with all those vets in Chi

Last edited by 22 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Feel bad for Kerr. But I agree. Staying in GS is Luke's best option at the moment.

Depends on how much he's getting paid in GS and what kind of guarantees he gets in the future. Sometimes you have to strike when your name is hot. There's a huge gap between making a few hundred K/year as an assistant and nailing a 25M/5 year contract as a head coach. Easy to say when it's not our pocket book that's doing the talking. It took 30 freaking years for Thibodeau to get a crack at a HC job in the NBA with a full 21 of those years as an NBA assistant HC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 3 of 818
Jump to: