Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Luke's first year was uneven to say the least.

That said, I am not sure he had a clear mission with the back in play by January 1st.

This year the mission is clear, win as many (bleep) games as possible so the Celtics get the worst (bleep) up draft pick possible.

If Luke can't impact wins this year with his coaching then he needs to go as this thing is primed to take off and we need a coach who is ready.

This team is going to win anything between 28-40 wins as a high and low. As long as he is within that range he's coaching up to par relative to the talent level.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

This team is going to win anything between 28-40 wins as a high and low. As long as he is within that range he's coaching up to par relative to the talent level.

Any number of wins lower than 34 and I would move on.

Time to be a coach, not a buddy.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, how hard is it to coach Lonzo? Luke could just roll the ball out on the floor and the offense would still look pretty good. The key is getting some defensive improvement.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Luke was at an unfair disadvantage. Given veterans who severely underperformed and a bunch of unproven children. Early in the year he showed what he could do with a healthy team. He got the most out of a team who was honestly lacking a lot in regards to overall talent.

Injuries struck with two of 5 starters for a long stretch and then several bench players and then the chemistry that had been developed quickly dissipated. The team.never got back on track and the chemistry (and winning mentality) never got back on track, and my mid January the tank was backing in full gear.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Luke was at an unfair disadvantage. Given veterans who severely underperformed and a bunch of unproven children. Early in the year he showed what he could do with a healthy team. He got the most out of a team who was honestly lacking a lot in regards to overall talent.

Injuries struck with two of 5 starters for a long stretch and then several bench players and then the chemistry that had been developed quickly dissipated. The team.never got back on track and the chemistry (and winning mentality) never got back on track, and my mid January the tank was backing in full gear.

I thought he did a poor job with Ingram. Having him bring the ball up the floor, and then stand in the corner while Lou and JC ran high screen and rolls to their heart's content wasn't very conducive to his development. If he does something equally bizarre with Lonzo, say make him a post player (which we actually kind of saw in his first SPL game), I would count that as flirting with a fireable offense.

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah but he wasn't forced to run egalitarian mins distributions, field the worst defensive team in a decade, and perform poorly on out of bounds plays.

While i like his friendly approach, its time to get down to business.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is going to save Luke's job
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Honestly, how hard is it to coach Lonzo? Luke could just roll the ball out on the floor and the offense would still look pretty good. The key is getting some defensive improvement.

You're are severely overestimating a 19 yo boy with zero NBA experience and underestimating Luke, who has been around the block...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

Luke's job isn't in jeopardy
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

I thought he did a poor job with Ingram. Having him bring the ball up the floor, and then stand in the corner while Lou and JC ran high screen and rolls to their heart's content wasn't very conducive to his development. If he does something equally bizarre with Lonzo, say make him a post player (which we actually kind of saw in his first SPL game), I would count that as flirting with a fireable offense.

He did that to get Ingram involved, otherwise he didn't engage. And it seemed to work well.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

He did that to get Ingram involved, otherwise he didn't engage. And it seemed to work well.

That was literally his worst month; December, IIRC (.399 TS%). What worked was getting him high post catches.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

That was literally his worst month; December, IIRC (.399 TS%). What worked was getting him high post catches.

Yes, after he became engaged within the game. Which was the reason Luke had him bringing the ball up early on.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

I don't think it is either, but Magic's got an ego and I'm sure would like to pick his own guy. Maybe he would've picked Luke, but I don't trust him. If he brought back Byron, I'd need to be institutionalized.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I am interested to see his rotations this season. I could see our bench giving up leads if he doesnt find a way to mix the first and second units more.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

I don't think it is either, but Magic's got an ego and I'm sure would like to pick his own guy. Maybe he would've picked Luke, but I don't trust him. If he brought back Byron, I'd need to be institutionalized.

I don't think he brings back the Coach Who Must Not Be Named, but I do kinda think this front office might want to pick their own guy, especially if stars arrive in 2018. think the Ringer article brings up quite a real possibility.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

I don't think he brings back the Coach Who Must Not Be Named, but I do kinda think this front office might want to pick their own guy, especially if stars arrive in 2018. think the Ringer article brings up quite a real possibility.

Magic has praised him time and time again.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Of course he has!
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Of course he has!

He went out of his way to say they know they have the right coach for the job as soon as he got his position.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

Lakerz113 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Of course he has!

He went out of his way to say they know they have the right coach for the job as soon as he got his position.

Trust me luke isnt going anywhere.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yes, after he became engaged within the game. Which was the reason Luke had him bringing the ball up early on.

Yeah, he sucked in December but that experience helped him grow pretty quickly. No complaints from me there.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah, he sucked in December but that experience helped him grow pretty quickly. No complaints from me there.

Coming out of college he his strength was suppose to be his three point shooting. Luke put him in a position to get those shots. When that didnt translate early on luke let him handle the ball more, and by the end of the season he was attacking the basket more. Seems sensible to me.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

He improved the next month (some of that experiment may have bled into January, IIRC), but I don't think it was humanly possible for him not to given the extent of how bad he was at that point. It wasn't until after the ASB that Luke put him in a position to succeed, IMO, and was mostly because Lou was traded, and they basically shelved Young.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Coming out of college he his strength was suppose to be his three point shooting. Luke put him in a position to get those shots. When that didnt translate early on luke let him handle the ball more, and by the end of the season he was attacking the basket more. Seems sensible to me.

His strength in college was isos (or post-ups that are basically isos). Did it need to take until after the ASB for Luke to figure that out?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I think Luke has developed Ingram perfectly. Sure, it made him look bad early on, but it got him thinking about an all around game and showed him how to play around the floor. I think those lessons will serve him well in his ultimate role as a scorer. You want him to be more than an Andrew Wiggins, and I think Luke has set the stage for him to more than that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

His strength in college was isos.

Under coach K...he always has an iso player Luke was implementing his offense and ingram wasnt ready...Cant argue he had his chances just didnt knock it down. He shot over 40 percent from 3 in college thats a strength.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 310 of 818
Jump to: