Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 313, 314, 315 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I can see the offense secondarily being run through Brook/Bogut as the centers. Brook is more inclined to score and isn't as good of a passer as Bogut, but he will be a safety valve for the team when things are bogged down.

Hopefully the team doesn't have to play half court sets too often this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I can see the offense secondarily being run through Brook/Bogut as the centers. Brook is more inclined to score and isn't as good of a passer as Bogut, but he will be a safety valve for the team when things are bogged down.

Hopefully the team doesn't have to play half court sets too often this year.

Well, we can't always be fast breaking, though that would be nice. But remember how well Lonzo plays off ball too.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I see the bench being

Clarkson SG/PG
Nance PF/C
Bogus or Zubac C
Kuzma PF/SF

Brewer 9th man
Ennis/Hart 10th man
Loser of Bogut/Zubac 11th man
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Lineup I'm most interested to see going into this season is the following:

G: Lonzo
G: Ingram
F: Kuzma
F: Julius
F: Larry

Talk about a lineup that is super versatile on both ends of the court. Lonzo will hit one of those 4 guys in full stride for easy layups once every 4 possessions off a defensive rebound
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

looks like the season can't start soon enough...
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Was I the only one to get somewhat frustrated with Luke last night? I understand you only have a few days of training camp this year, but I disagree with them not putting in any plays whatsoever. Especially with a newer team, I think you have to put in plays, rather than focusing on defense/transition offense. It's fine to focus on those type of things when there's a lot of returning players, but not when there's a lack of continuity.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I hope Luke doesn't abandon using Randle in hand-offs to set up Lonzo for 3s just because his shooting has been shaky to start and Lonzo's the transition gawd or whatever.

Last night wasn't the worst presseason Laker game I've ever seen but this team definitely has a lot of ground to cover on offense and learning to play with each other - although part of that is a product of this basically being an entirely new roster compared to last year. There was synergy with last year's team because most of the roster carried over from the Byron years and had been playing together a few years.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Was I the only one to get somewhat frustrated with Luke last night? I understand you only have a few days of training camp this year, but I disagree with them not putting in any plays whatsoever. Especially with a newer team, I think you have to put in plays, rather than focusing on defense/transition offense. It's fine to focus on those type of things when there's a lot of returning players, but not when there's a lack of continuity.

This is definitely a cause for concern. It's not as damn hard as this coaching staff is making it seem.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
The Logo wrote:

This is definitely a cause for concern. It's not as damn hard as this coaching staff is making it seem.

I just don't see much evidence of any coaching at all. The difference between what was going on offensively and on the sidelines with Minnesota and LA last night was pretty striking.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

All that work on defense and nothing to show for it. Bad offense leads to bad defense. Hopefully they're working on some offense after last game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
All that work on defense and nothing to show for it. Bad offense leads to bad defense. Hopefully they're working on some offense after last game.

I disagree, I thought that they had some good defensive sequences. Chances are Minny puts up at least 110 last season.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
levon wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I just don't see much evidence of any coaching at all. The difference between what was going on offensively and on the sidelines with Minnesota and LA last night was pretty striking.

Some pretty unfair criticism from all 3 of you here. Half court offense should be the LAST thing Walton gets into with this young group. They need to learn how to defend first and foremost. Then the focus should be getting the team to play at the pace the staff wants. It's been one week of practice and one game(in which we were missing our best player AND his backup) with a bunch of new pieces on the team. There's no legitimate reason to get on a coach who hasn't put in an efficient half court offense a week into the year with the roster Walton has.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

It looks like we run the same exact set almost every time down, at least in this Nuggets game. It doesn't look like that set with the big being dumped the ball at the top of the arc is working...
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm beating a dead horse but we run non-optimal defensive schemes, spam the same actions on offense ultimately deteriorating into a high pick and roll, and I don't see any substantial development. This staff is bad.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

On court execution aside, one other thing that bugs me about Luke is how he seems unwilling to criticize. Now this could just be how he presents things to the media, but he always seems to either say everything is good or he'll do the "did some good things and there are some things we need to work on" schtick.

Is he leading these guys? Or hanging out?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

That lack of ball and player movement is maddening. I did like in the 4th when they finally start running some cuts. Ingram even got an easy bucket.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Kinda don't think Luke will keep his job if this team doesn't win more games than last year. Although I do think this team has a major issue with roster construction more than anything
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Terrible coaching staff Luke put together.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
I'm beating a dead horse but we run non-optimal defensive schemes, spam the same actions on offense ultimately deteriorating into a high pick and roll, and I don't see any substantial development. This staff is bad.

What about the SLOB play after a timeout where the couldn't get the ball in? Lonzo looked in disbelief.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Not a fan of his coaching staff. Like his overall coaching methodology though.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
levon wrote:

What about the SLOB play after a stoppage where the couldn't get the ball in? Lonzo looked in disbelief.

OB plays were an area I was really annoyed with Luke on last year. Looks like that will be a recurring theme once again.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

The fact that Kuzma, who is the only player other than Brewer to leak out, doesn't get more than a few minutes with Lonzo makes me question so many things about the world.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
The fact that Kuzma, who is the only player other than Brewer to leak out, doesn't get more than a few minutes with Lonzo makes me question so many things about the world.

This. The transition game with the starters is pedestrian at best, and I'm pretty sure Ball's not the problem there.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I so wanted Luke to be successful here. Maybe we just need a more experienced coach.

Sometimes, assistant coaches are better left as assistants. You see it in the NFL all the time.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:

There is many things to question about Luke right now. His rotations are very questionable and his schemes have been a head scratcher.

Players still shooting long 2s on this team in the modern NBA is infuriating. Seeing a SL offense flow much better than the current squad makes me wonder what Luke is trying to coach here?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 313, 314, 315 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 314 of 818
Jump to: