Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Luke doesn’t know how to develop young players. This isnt a play off team. kuz should be allowed to test his limits and continue to grow. luke is is just instilling doubt instead of confidence in his rookies.

I don't know how you can say Luke doesn't know how to develop players when Lonzo/Kuzma are on track to make 1st Team All Rookie, Ingram has improved every month of his career, and Randle is playing his best ball ever so far. Not to mention Hart made his first ever start tonight and logged a double-double.

Our young players are coming along nicely, but they're still not good enough to beat veteran playoff teams, let alone championship caliber ones on the road. Don't let your hatred for Luke blind you to the good things he's accomplished thus far.

Luke has about as much to do with the development of Lonzo and Kuzma as Sam Mitchell did with Karl Anthony Towns or Byron Scott did with Chris Paul and Kyrie.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

Why didn't Luke start Clarkson instead of Josh Hart? Why did he get more minutes than Clarkson?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Luke doesn’t know how to develop young players. This isnt a play off team. kuz should be allowed to test his limits and continue to grow. luke is is just instilling doubt instead of confidence in his rookies.

I don't know how you can say Luke doesn't know how to develop players when Lonzo/Kuzma are on track to make 1st Team All Rookie, Ingram has improved every month of his career, and Randle is playing his best ball ever so far. Not to mention Hart made his first ever start tonight and logged a double-double.

Our young players are coming along nicely, but they're still not good enough to beat veteran playoff teams, let alone championship caliber ones on the road. Don't let your hatred for Luke blind you to the good things he's accomplished thus far.

Luke has about as much to do with the development of Lonzo and Kuzma as Sam Mitchell did with Karl Anthony Towns or Byron Scott did with Chris Paul and Kyrie.

And how do you know that? Cut the crap
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Why didn't Luke start Clarkson instead of Josh Hart? Why did he get more minutes than Clarkson?

Similar to what I said earlier in this thread about Nance starting, I think he does it to ensure he has good backup minutes available for certain positions (in that case at backup C). If he were to start Clarkson, you run low on backup PG minutes. And it also negatively impacts a rotation of JC and Randle that has shown to be pretty consistent. I assume this is the logic.

Not sure why he ended up with more mins. But he was pretty solid out there so didn't mind it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Luke is trying to maintain our bench which I totally agree with. Without Clarkson, our bench looks like this" Randle/Kuz/Brewer/Hart/Ennis. That's awful. That was the right call by Luke.

And Josh Hart performed which validates the decision.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Kuz came in red hot from SL and preseason. i dont see any growth in his offensive game. He is getting stronger and defending better i dont see much coaching there.

I think it was Luke who told Kuzma to focus more on defense. That's coaching.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

Byron, is that you?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Kuzzkontrol wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Every center we seem to acquire (with the exception of Tarik Black) hasn't transitioned well here from Roy Hibbert and now Brook Lopez.

Is Luke trying to make Brook something he isn't? Atkinson got good productivity out of this guy and this struggle in less than a year is a head scratcher.

Nets finished dead last in the league.

And Mozgov couldn't get off the bench in his last playoff season with the Cavs. Hey- I called this way before he played a game with the Lakers. Lopez is SLOW. He does not fit with the modern NBA.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
3baller wrote:
Nance actually fits in the 2nd lineup now. Lots of standing around waiting for JC and Randle do their 2-man show and then cleaning up the off boards for them. Exactly fits the Nance skillset.

Luke would rather have his best offensive player in that role

Luke would rather keep our best offensive and defensive players on the bench apparently. Because he just believes so hard that Nance will show he's worth starting despite the fact our starting lineup is one of our best lineups, and our lineups with Randle playing next to Lopez and Randle next to Kuzma are our best ones.

But Luke doesn't care about starting our best lineups, and when we lose by single digits he takes it as a sign of us just not being there yet instead of actually analyzing what he could be doing better as a coach or trying out new lineups to start so we aren't behind the 8 ball.

I don't think the problem is Luke likes Nance but is about Luke wants to start Lopez which makes Nance the best option to start since Randle is the only who can play backup center and Randle with Nance would be a terrible shooting combination.

But I do agree Luke doesn't want to start our best lineup. He focuses more on making a balanced lineup between starters and bench players. I don't recall any coach does that.

I believe by February if our record is still bad, Luke will move Randle and Kuzma to the starting lineup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Luke is all about asymmetric warfare, trying to stack the bench against the other team's bench b/c we don't have top flight starting talent.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Hey, hey, Byron taught Chris Paul to keep his shirt tucked in.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Luke is hard on Kuz. Gives LNJ props for his rebounding. Says Kuz needs to know what shot is a good one. LNJ can't hit the side of a battleship.

I'd rather have Kuz taking bad shots than Nance airballing wide open shots in the perimeter.

This coach really doesn't get it. Kuz would be passing more especially to Ingram if they can grow together and build chemistry in the starting lineup including Zo. We have a rare opportunity to homegrow our own big 3 and this coach insists on playing his favorite role player.

Kuzma doesn’t pass, Luke is right
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Luke is trying to maintain our bench which I totally agree with. Without Clarkson, our bench looks like this" Randle/Kuz/Brewer/Hart/Ennis. That's awful. That was the right call by Luke.

And Josh Hart performed which validates the decision.

Exactly.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Luke is hard on Kuz. Gives LNJ props for his rebounding. Says Kuz needs to know what shot is a good one. LNJ can't hit the side of a battleship.

I'd rather have Kuz taking bad shots than Nance airballing wide open shots in the perimeter.

This coach really doesn't get it. Kuz would be passing more especially to Ingram if they can grow together and build chemistry in the starting lineup including Zo. We have a rare opportunity to homegrow our own big 3 and this coach insists on playing his favorite role player.

49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

Maybe playing as a team is a perplexing idea. Did you watch the game and see how a contending team plays? The Cavs weren’t black hole chuckers. How can we expect the team to win when the fans can’t recognize winning ball?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

That's what I'm saying too

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

The dislike for Kuz is strong in this one.

Some stats:

- Kuzma passes made per game 35.3, assists 1.5, potential assists 3.8

- Nance passes made per game 33.3, assists 1.2, potential assists 2.4

For someone who doesn't pass Kuzma sure averages more passes and assists than Nance.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

Maybe playing as a team is a perplexing idea. Did you watch the game and see how a contending team plays? The Cavs weren’t black hole chuckers. How can we expect the team to win when the fans can’t recognize winning ball?

If you're the best shooter on the team you should have the green light. Passing it to worse shooters makes no sense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

For someone who doesn't pass Kuzma sure averages more passes and assists than Nance.

Random idea there. Fans can have their opinion, they aren’t fired if they are wrong. This has been an issue with the coaching staff all season, they are trying to build a team, not showcase pet players.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Probably because Nance is usually given the ball less and mostly in situations where all he’s asked to do is finish. Very different from Kuzmas situation. Kuzma has a bright future and is a great prospect but it’s undeniable that his shot selection leaves some to be desired and he has a tendency to be a ball stopper. The coaches addressing those issues is a good sign.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

If you're the best shooter on the team you should have the green light. Passing it to worse shooters makes no sense.
That's not always true. It applies to veterans and/or stars. If not, you will certainly become a DBooker.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Probably because Nance is usually given the ball less and mostly in situations where all he’s asked to do is finish. Very different from Kuzmas situation. Kuzma has a bright future and is a great prospect but it’s undeniable that his shot selection leaves some to be desired and he has a tendency to be a ball stopper. The coaches addressing those issues is a good sign.

That's fine as long as Luke plays it fairly and evenly across the players.

So when Nance shies away from taking an open shot or bricks an uncontested layup then Luke should addressed those as well, not just constantly defending Nance in the media while seeming to take every opportunity addressing all of Kuz's.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
49% FG
36% 3FG

Maybe he shouldn't

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:

Some stats:

Random idea there. Fans can have their opinion, they aren’t fired if they are wrong. This has been an issue with the coaching staff all season, they are trying to build a team, not showcase pet players.

Luke is definitely showcasing his affection for his little pet Larry to the media. Always defending him and calling him the best or one of the best players on the floor, sometimes even when he has one of the lowest +/- of all the Lakers players during that game.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

The rules are different for people Luke favors.

Like I've been saying all year. Luke doesn't care about what works best or what statistically works best or who outplays who, he plays favorites.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Randle needs to play more.

We can't be doubling the post player no matter what (Jeff Green, really?).

Lonzo can't be consistently going under against Calderon.

We can't be chucking 3's with 3-4 minutes to go.

This is all on coaching imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The rules are different for people Luke favors.

Like I've been saying all year. Luke doesn't care about what works best or what statistically works best or who outplays who, he plays favorites.

Were you saying this last year when Jules was starting? (and I agree Jules should be playing much more).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 446 of 818
Jump to: