Official LUKE WALTON Head Coach Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522 ... 555, 556, 557  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82602
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
How Luke is able to convince so many players to not play a lick of defense is beyond me.

So many wide open shooters and clear paths to the basket is crazy.

Ps i don't buy any of this Luke "young coach crap". Either know what you're doing or learn as an assistant. Head coach of a major franchise is not the place to learn on the job and constantly get outcoached.


Just out of curiosity, but on a young team with a lot of guys who haven’t played together and a lack of vet defenders, this team is ninth in defensive rating how? I mean with Luke teaching everyone to play no d, how do you suppose this sorcery is occurring?
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 6790
Location: SGV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I think Luke left IT in the fourth because nobody on this team has been proven to be consistent closer and just gave IT a shot. My bet is that he will not close next few close games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 828

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
How Luke is able to convince so many players to not play a lick of defense is beyond me.

So many wide open shooters and clear paths to the basket is crazy.

Ps i don't buy any of this Luke "young coach crap". Either know what you're doing or learn as an assistant. Head coach of a major franchise is not the place to learn on the job and constantly get outcoached.


Just out of curiosity, but on a young team with a lot of guys who haven’t played together and a lack of vet defenders, this team is ninth in defensive rating how? I mean with Luke teaching everyone to play no d, how do you suppose this sorcery is occurring?


Curious if you watched this game... Put in zero post defenders in the deciding minutes, played Randle too long stretches (tired Randle prone to too many mistakes). Left IT in too long . Zero rebounding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 6790
Location: SGV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Carlisle looked like a genius putting in all those scrubs at the end. We had the lead and momentum up into the point. After that, we forgot how to score.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82602
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
How Luke is able to convince so many players to not play a lick of defense is beyond me.

So many wide open shooters and clear paths to the basket is crazy.

Ps i don't buy any of this Luke "young coach crap". Either know what you're doing or learn as an assistant. Head coach of a major franchise is not the place to learn on the job and constantly get outcoached.


Just out of curiosity, but on a young team with a lot of guys who haven’t played together and a lack of vet defenders, this team is ninth in defensive rating how? I mean with Luke teaching everyone to play no d, how do you suppose this sorcery is occurring?


Curious if you watched this game... Put in zero post defenders in the deciding minutes, played Randle too long stretches (tired Randle prone to too many mistakes). Left IT in too long . Zero rebounding.


Still haven’t answered my rebuttal of your assertion. So the defense was bad this game. How has it been rated ninth for 54 games?
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31972

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma should have been in the starting line up for this game. Luke needs to mix it up from time to time and be more flexible.
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 1270

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

i hope we get the ball back in ingram's hands more. have hart take up some more of ITs minutes.

thought luke had been on point recently. i'm not sure why he left IT for the entire 4th (or seemed like the entire 4th).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 828

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
How Luke is able to convince so many players to not play a lick of defense is beyond me.

So many wide open shooters and clear paths to the basket is crazy.

Ps i don't buy any of this Luke "young coach crap". Either know what you're doing or learn as an assistant. Head coach of a major franchise is not the place to learn on the job and constantly get outcoached.


Just out of curiosity, but on a young team with a lot of guys who haven’t played together and a lack of vet defenders, this team is ninth in defensive rating how? I mean with Luke teaching everyone to play no d, how do you suppose this sorcery is occurring?


Curious if you watched this game... Put in zero post defenders in the deciding minutes, played Randle too long stretches (tired Randle prone to too many mistakes). Left IT in too long . Zero rebounding.


Still haven’t answered my rebuttal of your assertion. So the defense was bad this game. How has it been rated ninth for 54 games?


Your question makes as much sense as taking the defensive rating for the last ten years. Team is what is playing now. Either you learn or you don't.

You act like defensive rating exists in a vacuum. Lakers are horribly inefficient on offense. Perhaps other teams don't have to play as hard to whip the Lakers as evidenced by their record. Have you tried a chi square test on your hypothesis to determine if its statistically relevant? How much difference is between 7th and 12th for example. PS stats don't win championships

Ps sorry long night also. I just cant answer for the full season but based on this game it doesnt look like they've learned a damn thing. So many fundamentals like boxing out missing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rami34
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Switch defense was horrible, failing to switch and letting their bigs roll to basket. KCP had several of those tonite.

We get more offense with Kuzma, but Nance is better help defender. Kuzma was active, especially with rebounding, but couldn’t rotate fast enough for help defense. He needs to body up better in the paint.

When Dallas went big at end of game, Luke needed to have Hart, or at least Brewer, in place of KCP. Last 4 mins of game was badly managed.

Turnovers at end of 4th were killer... You can tell they were trying too hard to help IT on D (when IT was doing all right), and screwing up on D. It wasn’t same offensive or defensive flow as recently.

With Nance gone, Kuzma and Lopez must show up defensively every night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82602
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
How Luke is able to convince so many players to not play a lick of defense is beyond me.

So many wide open shooters and clear paths to the basket is crazy.

Ps i don't buy any of this Luke "young coach crap". Either know what you're doing or learn as an assistant. Head coach of a major franchise is not the place to learn on the job and constantly get outcoached.


Just out of curiosity, but on a young team with a lot of guys who haven’t played together and a lack of vet defenders, this team is ninth in defensive rating how? I mean with Luke teaching everyone to play no d, how do you suppose this sorcery is occurring?


Curious if you watched this game... Put in zero post defenders in the deciding minutes, played Randle too long stretches (tired Randle prone to too many mistakes). Left IT in too long . Zero rebounding.


Still haven’t answered my rebuttal of your assertion. So the defense was bad this game. How has it been rated ninth for 54 games?


Your question makes as much sense as taking the defensive rating for the last ten years. Team is what is playing now. Either you learn or you don't.

You act like defensive rating exists in a vacuum. Lakers are horribly inefficient on offense. Perhaps other teams don't have to play as hard to whip the Lakers as evidenced by their record. Have you tried a chi square test on your hypothesis to determine if its statistically relevant? How much difference is between 7th and 12th for example. PS stats don't win championships

Ps sorry long night also. I just cant answer for the full season but based on this game it doesnt look like they've learned a damn thing. So many fundamentals like boxing out missing.


The point I was making is that in order to be ranked ninth, they have a lot more good defensive efforts than bad, and extrapolating from one game, especially when a new guy who doesn’t defend well plays two thirds of it without so much as a practice, that Luke teaches guys not to defend is kind of knee jerk and off base.

And btw, if over ten years Luke’s teams are an average of ninth in defense, that will even further make the point.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 828

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The point I was making is that in order to be ranked ninth, they have a lot more good defensive efforts than bad, and extrapolating from one game, especially when a new guy who doesn’t defend well plays two thirds of it without so much as a practice, that Luke teaches guys not to defend is kind of knee jerk and off base.

And btw, if over ten years Luke’s teams are an average of ninth in defense, that will even further make the point.


Phil Jackson used to call the season a journey and I believe meant that it doesn't matter how you started out, but how you ended up that mattered. He wanted his teams to peak at the end of the season when it was most important.

I think the Lakers have had their moments this year, I just don't think that being "9th in defensive efficiency" means much if you can't use it when you need it the most.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82602
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The point I was making is that in order to be ranked ninth, they have a lot more good defensive efforts than bad, and extrapolating from one game, especially when a new guy who doesn’t defend well plays two thirds of it without so much as a practice, that Luke teaches guys not to defend is kind of knee jerk and off base.

And btw, if over ten years Luke’s teams are an average of ninth in defense, that will even further make the point.


Phil Jackson used to call the season a journey and I believe meant that it doesn't matter how you started out, but how you ended up that mattered. He wanted his teams to peak at the end of the season when it was most important.

I think the Lakers have had their moments this year, I just don't think that being "9th in defensive efficiency" means much if you can't use it when you need it the most.


So a week before the all star break on the road with a new guy playing is where you need it most? Again, they’ve been playing pretty good d most of the time and have lapses. Happens to young teams. Pattern is the key. Not the individual moments.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 828

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The point I was making is that in order to be ranked ninth, they have a lot more good defensive efforts than bad, and extrapolating from one game, especially when a new guy who doesn’t defend well plays two thirds of it without so much as a practice, that Luke teaches guys not to defend is kind of knee jerk and off base.

And btw, if over ten years Luke’s teams are an average of ninth in defense, that will even further make the point.


Phil Jackson used to call the season a journey and I believe meant that it doesn't matter how you started out, but how you ended up that mattered. He wanted his teams to peak at the end of the season when it was most important.

I think the Lakers have had their moments this year, I just don't think that being "9th in defensive efficiency" means much if you can't use it when you need it the most.


So a week before the all star break on the road with a new guy playing is where you need it most? Again, they’ve been playing pretty good d most of the time and have lapses. Happens to young teams. Pattern is the key. Not the individual moments.


You're focusing on the wrong things. Tied/close game, final minutes of the 4th quarter. Lakers can't buy a stop to save their lives. Guys are left open, missing critical rebounds, bad turnovers, easy paths to the basket. I call it failing to execute.

PS you're going to need much higher advanced stats to show pattern. I agree that consistency is very important.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82602
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The point I was making is that in order to be ranked ninth, they have a lot more good defensive efforts than bad, and extrapolating from one game, especially when a new guy who doesn’t defend well plays two thirds of it without so much as a practice, that Luke teaches guys not to defend is kind of knee jerk and off base.

And btw, if over ten years Luke’s teams are an average of ninth in defense, that will even further make the point.


Phil Jackson used to call the season a journey and I believe meant that it doesn't matter how you started out, but how you ended up that mattered. He wanted his teams to peak at the end of the season when it was most important.

I think the Lakers have had their moments this year, I just don't think that being "9th in defensive efficiency" means much if you can't use it when you need it the most.


So a week before the all star break on the road with a new guy playing is where you need it most? Again, they’ve been playing pretty good d most of the time and have lapses. Happens to young teams. Pattern is the key. Not the individual moments.


You're focusing on the wrong things. Tied/close game, final minutes of the 4th quarter. Lakers can't buy a stop to save their lives. Guys are left open, missing critical rebounds, bad turnovers, easy paths to the basket. I call it failing to execute.

PS you're going to need much higher advanced stats to show pattern. I agree that consistency is very important.


I honestly no longer even know what your argument is. I wasn’t the one saying Luke teaches guys not to defend, and the defensive numbers are all on my side, but we just keep finding some strange new goalpost. Lots to critique, but making guys worse defensively probably not in that group.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ShowtimeReturns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 259

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

rami34 wrote:
Switch defense was horrible, failing to switch and letting their bigs roll to basket. KCP had several of those tonite.

We get more offense with Kuzma, but Nance is better help defender. Kuzma was active, especially with rebounding, but couldn’t rotate fast enough for help defense. He needs to body up better in the paint.

When Dallas went big at end of game, Luke needed to have Hart, or at least Brewer, in place of KCP. Last 4 mins of game was badly managed.

Turnovers at end of 4th were killer... You can tell they were trying too hard to help IT on D (when IT was doing all right), and screwing up on D. It wasn’t same offensive or defensive flow as recently.

With Nance gone, Kuzma and Lopez must show up defensively every night.


Excellent post Lakers are going to seriously miss Larry on defense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23137

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

This playing down to the opponents is horrible. Especially if the team is not good enough to flip the switch at the end of the game.
Who is supposed to be the emotional leader that prevents this from happening?
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 6563

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
This playing down to the opponents is horrible. Especially if the team is not good enough to flip the switch at the end of the game.
Who is supposed to be the emotional leader that prevents this from happening?


It's sad, but Hart is probably the guy whose personality best fits that role, and he's only a rookie that barely started getting meaningful minutes. Just my opinion, but Jules, BI, and Zo don't appear to be that emotional leader, though they can certainly lead by example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23137

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
epak wrote:
This playing down to the opponents is horrible. Especially if the team is not good enough to flip the switch at the end of the game.
Who is supposed to be the emotional leader that prevents this from happening?


It's sad, but Hart is probably the guy whose personality best fits that role, and he's only a rookie that barely started getting meaningful minutes. Just my opinion, but Jules, BI, and Zo don't appear to be that emotional leader, though they can certainly lead by example.


Agree with you on all 4 guys.
I actually think IT may be the guy. Which sucks because he's the new guy.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
This playing down to the opponents is horrible. Especially if the team is not good enough to flip the switch at the end of the game.
Who is supposed to be the emotional leader that prevents this from happening?

It should be Randle imo.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23137

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
This playing down to the opponents is horrible. Especially if the team is not good enough to flip the switch at the end of the game.
Who is supposed to be the emotional leader that prevents this from happening?

It should be Randle imo.


He doesn't seem like the type of guy that would get on other guys though.

Side: I'm not absolving blame from the staff. I just think it would be nice to have a player that helps motivate the guys in that way.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 9066

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

What the hell happened to our D?
_________________
WE BACK BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 13301

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
What the hell happened to our D?


No Lonzo, now no Larry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 20706
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Thank goodness Luke got sick of the refs... those zebras are responsible for most of our loses... now is the time to put the hammer on and swallow a lengthy fine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Posts: 2415

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

“Luke was ejected? Ive failed as a father” - Bill Walton during Portland GS broadcast.
_________________
Zo-Mo is coming
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23137

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Alex doesn't play last 2 games and we lose.
C'mon.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522 ... 555, 556, 557  Next
Page 521 of 557
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB