Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject:

ibitegirls wrote:
luke has got to get it together. not seeing improvement in end of game situations. His subs and rotations are not good

This has been the case for 3 seasons now.
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject:

Luke is the New Byron Scott
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Cranjis is devoting a lot of tweets to Luke's coaching these days.

https://twitter.com/T1m_NBA/status/1061840955773542400

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
‏@T1m_NBA
This is embarrassing. I was going into today hoping for some progress in offensive scheme, defensive fundamentals, and rotations.

0/3 so far today. LA should still win, but when will we see consistent progress in any of these areas?

8:39 PM - 11 Nov 2018

Lol yeah he really, really dislikes Luke's coaching. Are there any other analysts who are this fired up about our coaching staff's incompetence?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ibitegirls wrote:
luke has got to get it together. not seeing improvement in end of game situations. His subs and rotations are not good

It’s laughable that anybody still thinks Luke will improve in this area especially.

We win our games despite of Luke, not because of him. Luke is the Mike McCarthy of the NBA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:
ibitegirls wrote:

It’s laughable that anybody still thinks Luke will improve in this area especially.

We win our games despite of Luke, not because of him. Luke is the Mike McCarthy of the NBA.

Yes... his flaws could be fixed if he just hired the right staff.

Luke isn't the next Byron Scott... more like the next Mark Jackson..

however Mark Jackson had better ideas about defense, and was more about empowering his players as opposed to keeping them looking over their shoulder every 2 seconds. If not for Mark's coaching style and pension for his players and the confidence he instilled in them, Steph wouldn't be launching half court shots with 100% confidence it's going in.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

We all new this was going to be a tough job for Luke, but i think the MUD squad has not made it the nightmare we feared. It’s Magic and Lebron’s impatience that is going to challenge Luke, all season.
Naturally, people want to work with others they have a trust relationship with. Not sure Magic or Lebron have it or will establish it.
They won’t win the championship this year. Luke is going to be the scapegoat, deservingly or not. This will be his last year as coach.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

I've been fine w/giving Luke time to grow, but his lineup choices have been atrocious. BI is easily the worst part of the starting lineup. He just doesn't fit that group, but he's been given a ridiculously long rope. What's the advantage of starting BI at the 2? There hasn't been any. Hart is a much better fit. But maybe it's a mandate by the FO that BI gets 30 minutes every night regardless of how poorly he's playing. Whereas Lonzo and Hart will sit if they're not playing well. I suppose since BI has an additional year of pro experience, he gets that extra leeway. Oh and the fastest way to blow a lead is to allow Lance to do whatever the heck he wants on O and D and let the team go helter skelter.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

Luke is a liability. He's been able to cover up his ineptitude by not being required to win the past couple of seasons. Those times are OVER!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
I've been fine w/giving Luke time to grow, but his lineup choices have been atrocious. BI is easily the worst part of the starting lineup. He just doesn't fit that group, but he's been given a ridiculously long rope. What's the advantage of starting BI at the 2? There hasn't been any. Hart is a much better fit. But maybe it's a mandate by the FO that BI gets 30 minutes every night regardless of how poorly he's playing. Whereas Lonzo and Hart will sit if they're not playing well. I suppose since BI has an additional year of pro experience, he gets that extra leeway. Oh and the fastest way to blow a lead is to allow Lance to do whatever the heck he wants on O and D and let the team go helter skelter.

Who was assigned to guard Trae in the final two minutes? That should be a good reason to start Ingram. Remember the Spurs game when Hart did a good job defending DeRozan but he just lacks the length to interfere DeRozan more?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yes... his flaws could be fixed if he just hired the right staff.

Luke isn't the next Byron Scott... more like the next Mark Jackson..

however Mark Jackson had better ideas about defense, and was more about empowering his players as opposed to keeping them looking over their shoulder every 2 seconds. If not for Mark's coaching style and pension for his players and the confidence he instilled in them, Steph wouldn't be launching half court shots with 100% confidence it's going in.

He needs a Tex Winter. Mermuys ain't it.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

Who was assigned to guard Trae in the final two minutes? That should be a good reason to start Ingram. Remember the Spurs game when Hart did a good job defending DeRozan but he just lacks the length to interfere DeRozan more?

Not to mention the fact that Ingram completely shut Young down late until the final possession, but the “fire Luke” crowd forgot about it off course. They also forgot how he subbed Chandler in for Mcgee at the same time and the Ingram/Chandler combination completely shut down the Young/Len pnr which was killing us. But hey that’s not coaching or anything...

Last edited by Intlakeshow on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Cranjis is devoting a lot of tweets to Luke's coaching these days.

https://twitter.com/T1m_NBA/status/1061840955773542400

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
‏@T1m_NBA
This is embarrassing. I was going into today hoping for some progress in offensive scheme, defensive fundamentals, and rotations.

0/3 so far today. LA should still win, but when will we see consistent progress in any of these areas?

8:39 PM - 11 Nov 2018

Lol yeah he really, really dislikes Luke's coaching. Are there any other analysts who are this fired up about our coaching staff's incompetence?

How does a coach fix his offensive schemes? Has there ever been a coach who fixed his offensive schemes midseason?

I can't think of one off the top of my head. Anyone?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

I would pay money to talk to Luke about the huge discrepancy between the amount of leash he gives various guys on the team. It’s hurting the team and the individual players development. He allows Ingram to get more and more selfish offensively, doesn’t care if Kuzma plays D, and refuses to let Hart and Zo play consistent minutes together despite the fact they’ve shown to be the best back court pairing on the team and show the most consistent defensive effort. It’s like certain players get pulled for one mistake while others can continually make mistakes without any repercussions. It’s a horrible way to develop a team and he’s lucky he’s got a talented team going through an easy stretch of the schedule right now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Question for you guys. So, the identity of this pace is supposed to be run, run, run, right?

Well, why aren't we running? I mean, fine, on a fast break opportunity we run. But, everyone does that. I don't really see us running at all, actually.

I'm also not seeing that "7 seconds or less" style offense out there. Is it just me?

I'm wondering if a large part of this is because Lonzo isn't running things now.

EDIT: I still see we are up there in pace at 104.4, which is indeed high, but, it just doesn't feel very fast to me so I'm not sure how it is we end up there.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

3 wins in a row probably means no line up changes

But I've liked what the 2nd unit is doing for the most part.
I liked how Rondo awarded kcp for his hussle the last game.
Kcp hitting shots will be important for the team.
And Luke seems to have a short leash on Lance. Hopefully it's leading to less ISOs.
And Tyson has been a big surprise.
And we know what Hart and Rondo can do.

Ugly win. But a win is a win till the team gels. And they seem to be.
The first unit is coming along. But they'll probably gel slower than the 2nd unit who are made up of role guys.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

Lebron coaches the offense. The only two coaches who could maybe get Lebron to play within a system are Pop and Kerr (and call him out on his lazy possessions where he settles for 3s). I keep asking, who do you think is going to come in and make this any better? I was only worried about the defense from day 1, and that is trending the right direction. Unfortunately, Lebron is killing our pace at the same time, which is hurting our offense.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Blew another double digit lead in the second half.

Almost lost again in the final 2 minutes ....

Seriously this is getting ridiculous!
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Blew another double digit lead in the second half.

Almost lost again in the final 2 minutes ....

Seriously this is getting ridiculous!

Up 15 and Luke pulls the unit while they're still on a run...to put in the unit that went from +6 to -7 in the 2nd quarter.

And to make it worse...didn't call any TOs to stem the tide...Rondo, KCP, Lance lost 6 points off the 15 point lead in under 30 seconds...

This may just be too big for Luke...

#BannersOverBillboards
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

After What Luke pulled yesterday, he needs to go.

It seemed he purposely trying to lose the game when he had the bench playing against Atlanta starter for extended minutes and called no time out.

I don’t know whether he is

1. Doing it on purpose cuz he is paid by altanta
2. Doing it on purpose cuz he is stunted
3. Brain freeze because of all the pressure getting to him.

Any of the above is hopeless, he needs to go.
I mean as a star player Lebron should have no confidence in him after that, Luke have zero sense about momentum, and utilizing players strength, creating a system, and defining players roles.

It seems like he has all his rotation written on a stone before the game and won’t adjust anything before the final 5 minutes.

He is just not fit to be a Basketball coach, let alone an NBA coach, he is only ok at babysitting an all star team like golden state warrior. Even that he failed at it, since he is one of the main reason the warrior team blow all their load in the regular season and almost ran out of steam against Thunder and clearly did against Cavs after game 5. And Kerr made some stunted substitution in game 7 of the finals that cost them the championship, maybe that has something to do with Luke as well, I never seen Steve Kerr made such dumb mistake after that.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:

It seemed he purposely trying to lose the game when he had the bench playing against Atlanta starter for extended minutes and called no time out.

I mean as a star player Lebron should have no confidence in him after that, Luke have zero sense about momentum, and utilizing players strength, creating a system, and defining players roles.

It seems like he has all his rotation written on a stone before the game and won’t adjust anything before the final 5 minutes.

He is just not fit to be a Basketball coach, let alone an NBA coach, he is only ok at babysitting an all star team like golden state warrior. Even that he failed at it, since he is one of the main reason the warrior team blow all their load in the regular season and almost ran out of steam against Thunder and clearly did against Cavs after game 5. And Kerr made some stunted substitution in game 7 of the finals that cost them the championship, maybe that has something to do with Luke as well, I never seen Steve Kerr made such dumb mistake after that.

When Luke took over the Warriors, their 4 best players played less minutes than when Kerr coached the rest of the year. You can check the stats...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

On a Mail Bag edition of Locked on Lakers someone suggested Monty Williams because of his connection with AD.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
On a Mail Bag edition of Locked on Lakers someone suggested Monty Williams because of his connection with AD.

I would have loved Monty as our lead assistant.
But he stuck with the Spurs staff, then joined the Sixers
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:

When Luke took over the Warriors, their 4 best players played less minutes than when Kerr coached the rest of the year. You can check the stats...

Of course Kerr made mistakes too that season, he got sucked into it as well.
The warriors were not only physically tired, they were mentally drained as well.

It is hard to blame that completely on Luke, since you can say he is inexperienced at the time and don’t understand that the journey to the championship is a grind.

But now it is apparent that Luke cannot coach.
He just have very bad understanding of the game as a player or a coach.

The only thing he got going for him is trying to copy some of that mental zen stuff from Phil Jackson.
But he ain’t got a personality to pull it off either and he doesn’t even know how it should be used.

And Phil style I believe is horrible at coaching growing talents.
Phil style is only good at massaging super star egos and have the work together.

Conclusion:
Luke doesn’t have the right mentality coach these group of players
Even if he does, he is just a horrible coach overall.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

I mean, Trae dusted him on the last possession and Ingram got away with a shove in the back (lucky for us). Don’t know how much I would brag about Ingram’s D. Thank goodness Tyson Chandler didn’t cut his fingernails.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

I mean, Trae dusted him on the last possession and Ingram got away with a shove in the back (lucky for us). Don’t know how much I would brag about Ingram’s D. Thank goodness Tyson Chandler didn’t cut his fingernails.

Maybe you fell asleep and missed how Ingram completely shut down Young up to that point? One bad possession doesn’t erase all the good work he along with Chandler did in the previous 5 minutes shutting down the pick and roll, did you even watch the game?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 622 of 818
Jump to: