Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Luke Walton: It’s ‘easy’ to ignore the Lakers (for now)

Quote:
With one more Warriors loss, the acclaimed Warriors assistant will start his next life is as head coach of one of the NBA’s most prestigious franchise — the Lakers. For now, Bill Walton’s son claims to have shut out thoughts of the purple and gold after choosing the Lakers over an inquiry from Knicks president Phil Jackson, whose preferred choice was Walton.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/29/luke-walton-its-easy-to-ignore-the-lakers-for-now/

Nice.

Walton screwing Phil and the Knicks and accepting the Lakers job is pretty awesome.

Feels good to be chosen by someone again

Hopefully we can get some FA's to follow.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject:

KendrickLamar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:
With one more Warriors loss, the acclaimed Warriors assistant will start his next life is as head coach of one of the NBA’s most prestigious franchise — the Lakers. For now, Bill Walton’s son claims to have shut out thoughts of the purple and gold after choosing the Lakers over an inquiry from Knicks president Phil Jackson, whose preferred choice was Walton.

Nice.

Walton screwing Phil and the Knicks and accepting the Lakers job is pretty awesome.

Can't really blame him tbh an aging carmelo anthony + porzingis or DLO, Randle, Clarkson, Nance.

Seems like the better choice but keep in mind tbh i havent watched many knicks games so they might have players that weren't mentioned above and also he made the choice to pick us before we had the 2nd pick guaranteed.

I don't think that's the reason.

Luke just wanted the Laker job and probably didn't waste any time.

What makes it nice is that it proves no one is gonna Jump on the Knicks just cause Phil is there. Kerr also screwed Phil last summer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Nice.

Feels good to be chosen by someone again

Hopefully we can get some FA's to follow.

A new trend by the Lakers hopefully.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It’s been three weeks since Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak held a press conference to discuss the hiring of L.A.’s newest head coach, Luke Walton.

The two communicate frequently, often via text message, but Kupchak has been careful to give Walton space to focus as an assistant coach on Steve Kerr’s Golden State staff as the Warriors head to the NBA Finals.

We, however, will focus on the exact opposite, asking Bleacher Report’s Kevin Ding – who’s covered the Warriors throughout the postseason – for his observations of Walton and for some insight into what will be applicable for the Lakers:

MT: You’ve been keeping track of Luke Walton for us on the road, Kevin … what are your general observations of him since he was hired by the Lakers?
Ding:​ Luke almost always seems in good spirits, but he's a little more energetic with such a new challenge awaiting him. It's clear that he is giving his primary attention to his current challenge of finishing the Warriors' season with another championship, though. I don't get any sense that he is dividing his workload; he is giving Golden State his best efforts until the season is over.​

MT: Every time the TV cameras show Steve Kerr on the Warriors’ bench, he seems to be talking to Walton. What’s your sense of that relationship and how it has impacted Walton?
Ding:​ It's one of the many important relationships in this Golden State organization that is built on real trust. It was good fortune for Luke to get this experience under Steve, because Steve is very different from Phil Jackson despite how much they both learned from Phil. Steve's operation is much more democratic and open-door than Phil's, even though Phil was committed to empowering all his players, too. Luke has mentioned to me what a great job Steve does in building a world where everyone's voice matters, and that is more in line with Luke's personality, too. So in that sense, Steve and Luke are rather similar--and the Lakers will be getting more that atmosphere where people can be relaxed and confident instead of worried or nervous as in recent seasons.

MT: How did Walton’s experience filling in for Kerr to start the season impact his role both as an assistant for this season ​ and a head coach next season​?
Ding:​ That's valuable experience just learning how to draw up a great play in a pressurized moment with literally only seconds to do so. With so many former players jumping right to big coaching jobs, the basics of being a coach are things they and Luke needed to learn. The basics of being a head coach involve being more of a leader and visionary and less of a friend to the players, so Luke got a taste of how that will feel and how it must be when he transitions to the Lakers. Brian Shaw (who has been reported as Walton's lead Lakers assistant, although no announcement has been made by the club) will undoubtedly help Luke there--because B-Shaw was a guy who was uncommonly good at relating to the players while an assistant yet learned some hard lessons about the difference being a head coach when he got the No. 1 job with the Nuggets.​

MT: Has Walton been thinking more like a head coach since getting the Lakers job? Do you think he’s going home at night after Warriors games thinking about D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle or the No. 2 overall pick?
Ding: I'm sure his mind drifts forward when he has some free moments, but he hasn't had many free moments with the Warriors going seven crazy games against the Thunder and now into the NBA Finals circus. He's still out there working up a lather on the court before games, passing the ball to and playing post defense against Anderson Varejao to get him ready, for example. When I saw Luke after the Warriors pulled out Game 6 in OKC in the locker room, he just gave me a wink. Both happy and relieved, I'd say. He also had a plate of food he was going to eat, as he hadn't had time even to do that.

MT: How do you think Walton will be able to bring these concepts that the Warriors have honed with some of the best talent in recent NBA history with a young Lakers team?
Ding: ​What is going to decide the fate of that is mainly going to be how good of a teacher Luke is. From what I understand, he made clear to Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak that he views himself as a teacher, not just a guy who used to play basketball, and that resonated with the Lakers because they know they have young players who need to be taught. Luke is uniquely gifted at relating to all sorts of people, so I don't doubt he can get messages across to superstars or veterans or rookies--but he's also still very much young at heart and in style, which is going to be key in connecting with players who are 10 or 15 years younger than he is instead of 30 or 40 years younger. He is committed to making a meaningful difference but also knows it's not all about him.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/160601_waltonQA
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Kerr broke a clip board tonight. Seemed directed at Luke. Interesting dynamic.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Luke just wanted the Laker job and probably didn't waste any time.

West cost guy
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:

Did he say: what am I gonna do next year without you? As he karate chopped the board?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

It's a bit of foreshadowing actually. Next season the Lakers will break The Warriors' spirits like Kerr broke the clipboard. Luke will get sweet revenge. Kerr will break four more clipboards, and we'll have a five game win streak vs them by the end of next season. Nine if you count the playoffs.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:

Just because he was facing Luke doesn't mean it was directed at him dude.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Like I said before. He's already outperformed Byron and he hasn't even officially started the job yet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Artesties wrote:

Did he say: what am I gonna do next year without you? As he karate chopped the board?

I replayed it a few times and couldn't tell what he was saying when he smashed the clipboard but he was obviously addressing his staff and not happy.

The next view of him talking to Walton afterwards he was saying "I think I broke my "expletive" hand. I think it was for show to fire up the team. Kerr has some Phil psychology to him.... whatever it was, it worked, the team responded.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
epak wrote:
Artesties wrote:

I replayed it a few times and couldn't tell what he was saying when he smashed the clipboard but he was obviously addressing his staff and not happy.

The next view of him talking to Walton afterwards he was saying "I think I broke my "expletive" hand. I think it was for show to fire up the team. Kerr has some Phil psychology to him.... whatever it was, it worked, the team responded.

He was mad at the team blowing rotations and giving up an easy bucket.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:

He's just frustrated he's not cool and calm as Luke. As he was breaking the clipboard, he was saying, "How do you do it Luke, how do you effing do it?"
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton A Breath Of Fresh Air For Lakers Young Core

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-coach-luke-walton-impressing-lakers-young-core/2016/07/07/
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject:

"If you mess up, there's a teaching moment after it that goes into the next play." From d'angelo.

This is what i've been waiting for.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160707/lakers-summer-league-five-things-to-watch

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

His in game interview was just replayed. Luke gets it
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sirius XM NBA: Jamaal Wilkes believes the transition period for the Lakers will take another 2-3 years for the team to be a contender again #LakersNation 2 hours ago – via Twitter SiriusXMNBA

Jamaal Wilkes on Lakers of hiring Luke Walton: “I am excited about Luke Walton being hired as the coach but he still needs great players.” 2 hours ago – via Twitter SiriusXMNBA
tothesky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Sirius XM NBA: Jamaal Wilkes believes the transition period for the Lakers will take another 2-3 years for the team to be a contender again #LakersNation 2 hours ago – via Twitter SiriusXMNBA

Jamaal Wilkes on Lakers of hiring Luke Walton: “I am excited about Luke Walton being hired as the coach but he still needs great players.” 2 hours ago – via Twitter SiriusXMNBA

That is how I feel.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

I think they'll be fine after Ingram and Zubac get a year under their belts. Zubac has that Marc Gasol vibe, and I see great things for him. Ingram will probably fill out to 6'10' and his length will wreck havoc defensively.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

tothesky wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

That is how I feel.

We have 4 players that can turn into great players in 3 years.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

No (bleep), but Rome wasn't built in a day. We have a collection of young players that can be molded into great players.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

http://am570lasports.iheart.com/onair/la-today-with-bill-reiter-and-55470/luke-walton-brandon-ingram-has-a-14913763/

Pretty cool interview on 7-15-16. Tell us his thoughts on being the new coach in L.A. what advice Steve Kerr gave to him, why Mozgov was a key signing, and more.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
http://am570lasports.iheart.com/onair/la-today-with-bill-reiter-and-55470/luke-walton-brandon-ingram-has-a-14913763/

Pretty cool interview on 7-15-16. Tell us his thoughts on being the new coach in L.A. what advice Steve Kerr gave to him, why Mozgov was a key signing, and more.

dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

To think 2 years from now our young guys will have the offense and defense down to the teeth. The only player in his prime out of the 7 will be Clarkson and black(if he's still here) lol both those guys will be 26-27. Everybody else under 25
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

Some of the stuff:
-Mozgov: they liked how he could pass, shoot a bit, post up. They liked his mobility. Liked his rim protection a lot. Luke pushed for him big time.
-Ingram: Luke gave some tempered praise, said he is extremely coachable and likable. Thinks he can be an all-star, but doesn't believe in comparisons.
-Russell: Said he was fantastic in summer league, he's been a real leader, he's been picking the coach's brains. He's come to the gym before the summer team practices and also returned at night time.
-Nance: Luke loves the little things that he does. Thinks he can be "special" with a jumper. "Incredible."
-Overall: wants to set the foundation and culture this year, thinks the wins will come as a result of that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 164 of 818
Jump to: