Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:
I'd be shocked if BI starts game 1, unless he blows our minds in training camp/preseason,

True but ingram is the best person at the 3. Deng is best suited at the 4 at his age. Swaggy is not starting caliber type never has been. Brown is not starting caliber either. Ingram at least provides defense/length that can keep up with modern day forwards. Deng although experienced is a little over the hill to keep up with starting small forwards like your kawaii leonards, kds, lebrons, pg3s, etc. Deng used to be a great lock down defender back in the day but relying on him as the starting sf I think is asking too much of him. He will get torched by modern day 3s.

Deng will likely spend most of his court time at SF.

If he does, and it's as a starter against opposing starting sfs, he's gonna get dominated by most of them and will be injured a quarter of the way into the season.

Except for last year, Deng has played almost 80% of his time at SF. Including the year before last.

Deng playing the PF position last year as a desperation move by the Heat after Bosh went down. They had few options. They changed on the run. To his credit Deng played well in that role.

But on this team this year I expect him to play SF the majority of the time. JMO but I see a C and PF types on the floor with Deng almost all the time. I love his versatility but he is here to play SF and mentor Ingram.

So he's gonna start at SF? I mean not sure the worse of it all is not having Ingram fully invested.. And we aren't gonna let someone come off the bench when we are paying him 70+ M.

I rather Let Deng play majority of his minutes at the 4, we don't have much options, especially since Luke might use Nance/Randle as a small ball big man.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:
I'd be shocked if BI starts game 1, unless he blows our minds in training camp/preseason,

True but ingram is the best person at the 3. Deng is best suited at the 4 at his age. Swaggy is not starting caliber type never has been. Brown is not starting caliber either. Ingram at least provides defense/length that can keep up with modern day forwards. Deng although experienced is a little over the hill to keep up with starting small forwards like your kawaii leonards, kds, lebrons, pg3s, etc. Deng used to be a great lock down defender back in the day but relying on him as the starting sf I think is asking too much of him. He will get torched by modern day 3s.

If he does, and it's as a starter against opposing starting sfs, he's gonna get dominated by most of them and will be injured a quarter of the way into the season.

Except for last year, Deng has played almost 80% of his time at SF. Including the year before last.

Deng playing the PF position last year as a desperation move by the Heat after Bosh went down. They had few options. They changed on the run. To his credit Deng played well in that role.

But on this team this year I expect him to play SF the majority of the time. JMO but I see a C and PF types on the floor with Deng almost all the time. I love his versatility but he is here to play SF and mentor Ingram.

So he's gonna start at SF? I mean not sure the worse of it all is not having Ingram fully invested.. And we aren't gonna let someone come off the bench when we are paying him 70+ M.

I rather Let Deng play majority of his minutes at the 4, we don't have much options, especially since Luke might use Nance/Randle as a small ball big man.

We have a ton of options at the 4, not many at the 3. Deng will be starting and playing major minutes at the 3. Look at the freakin roster for God's sake.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

We have a ton of options at the 4, not many at the 3. Deng will be starting and playing major minutes at the 3. Look at the freakin roster for God's sake.

Do you prefer Ingram as the starter or Deng? Honestly it does seem like we need to shuffle some roles on the roster or else a lot of players are gonna see decreased minutes.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

Do you prefer Ingram as the starter or Deng? Honestly it does seem like we need to shuffle some roles on the roster or else a lot of players are gonna see decreased minutes.

I have no problem with Ingram coming off the bench. He is 19 years old and needs to develop physically and mentally adjust to the NBA.

Start Deng. Play him 24-28mpg. Let Ingram earn his mpg and spend some time playing against the second units the majority of the time. If he develops and can contribute faster then I expect that is a good "problem". He can potentially get SG mpg too.

Ingram can easily get his 24-28 mpg if he earns it. Let him do it against the bench instead of the starters in the League. Short spurts not a problem, extended mpg against the Leonards, Lebrons and Durants of the League is not needed this year" IMO. That is why Deng was signed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

Do you know how to read?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

Yes, and while Deng played only a bit over a quarter of his minutes at 3 last year, he was actually better defensively there.

He gave up .47 EFG% and 13 points per 36 vs .52 and 14 at the 4. The Heat actually had a better team defensive rating with him at 3 as well. But offensively he was much better at 4, and that's really what the Heat's problems were, so the minor loss in defense was offset by him stretching the floor effectively at 4.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

Do you know how to read?

Yep, but you understood me just like with any user who debates with you.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

I understand that Deng is versatile enough to play 2-3 positions so I'm gonna his minutes are gonna be spilt at each position.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

It isn't about Deng, it is about winning some games and developing young players. Deng will play the majority of his minutes at SF, not eating into Randle and Nance's development. Ingram will back him up and get minutes at the 2.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It isn't about Deng, it is about winning some games and developing young players. Deng will play the majority of his minutes at SF, not eating into Randle and Nance's development. Ingram will back him up and get minutes at the 2.

Yeah. That's why I mentioned that the roster has a lot of players that can play different roles.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

Yes, and while Deng played only a bit over a quarter of his minutes at 3 last year, he was actually better defensively there.

He gave up .47 EFG% and 13 points per 36 vs .52 and 14 at the 4. The Heat actually had a better team defensive rating with him at 3 as well. But offensively he was much better at 4, and that's really what the Heat's problems were, so the minor loss in defense was offset by him stretching the floor effectively at 4.

Thank you for pointing out the defensive differences. There is definitely a meme going around that Deng is vastly superior at the 4, and even useless at the three. If he can play solid defense at the 3, spread the floor, move the ball than that is perfect for this team.

That's why we signed Deng. Not to make Nance or Randle a 3rd string PF.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think when Ingram is ready to be our starting SF, it'll be really nice to have a combo forward in Deng. Right now he'll play mostly SF.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

[quote="yinoma2001"]I think when Ingram is ready to be our starting SF, it'll be really nice to have a combo forward in Deng. Right now he'll play mostly SF.[/quote

It's good to finally have defense at the 3.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
epak wrote:

So the opposite of our situation. Offense isn't gonna be the problem, but we'll need defense.

In which case Deng at the 3 serves the purpose better, considering he'll be surrounded by 3 scorers.

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think when Ingram is ready to be our starting SF, it'll be really nice to have a combo forward in Deng. Right now he'll play mostly SF.

Consider this as well.. when Ingram is starting at the 3, we still have a defensive lineup on our bench of Deng and Nance Jr....

In time you can add Zubac to that list for a defensive 3,4,5 combination. At that point even if our 1/2 are lacking in offense as far as our backups go, they've got a VERY VERY solid defensive lineup behind them to make up for it.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In the future, Ingram/Deng at SF will be one of the better SF defensive tandems.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Casey Owens Joins Luke Walton’s Coaching Staff

Quote:
Owens spent last season molding the D-Fenders into a dangerous team, and they managed to make it all the way to the D-League Finals. While they weren’t successful in bringing home a championship, D-Fenders players often spoke highly of Owens and his skill as a coach.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-casey-owens-joins-luke-waltons-coaching-staff/2016/08/18/
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In the future, Ingram/Deng at SF will be one of the better SF defensive tandems.

I think Deng will be washed by that time.. 2-3 years, yea..
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or one of the best wing tandems at the 2 and 3.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or 3/4. Ingram at the 2 is something Byron would do.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Owens spent last season molding the D-Fenders into a dangerous team, and they managed to make it all the way to the D-League Finals. While they weren’t successful in bringing home a championship, D-Fenders players often spoke highly of Owens and his skill as a coach.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-casey-owens-joins-luke-waltons-coaching-staff/2016/08/18/

What is his role gonna be?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or 3/4. Ingram in the doghouse is something Byron would do.

FIXED
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Assistant coach and advance scout
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Yeah but what is he gonna help with? Also does advance Scout means that he's good with talent evaluation?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Yeah but what is he gonna help with? Also does advance Scout means that he's good with talent evaluation?

An advance scout scouts the other teams that the team will be playing.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or 3/4. Ingram at the 2 is something Byron would do.

That makes no sense. Why do you think Ingram at the 2 is a bad idea, and why would Byron do that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 169 of 818
Jump to: