Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

We're not in the position to be picky. I'll take any win we can get.

But I'd like the defense to improve a little. I think it'll help our win total.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
tox wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
1) He made the adjustment of not playing Lou and Clarkson together in the second unit. That line-up gave up too much size and it killed them defensively in the preseason games.

2) Lou played 14 minutes.

MWP stole some of his minutes. I'm okay with that happening every game.

Keep it that way Luke.
without lou, we don't win tonight.

That has never been the case at any point in Lou's career. I don't think it will change anytime soon.
it was tonight. He made plays. Period. It's all good though. I respect your opinion.

Lou was +17 today on the court, and while he got burned on defense at times, the entire team did. His defense was honestly solid.

I complain about Lou at times too, but it's ridiculous to suggest he wasn't extremely important in helping the team win.

I don't respect that opinion.

I feel like it had more to do with the rotations than anything. Pairing him with Ingram, Nance and Black helped the unit as a whole defensively and they didn't make the same mistakes as the first unit, although we saw Ennis, Gordon take it straight to Lou every single time down the court. He gives up so much size on the court that it's worth limiting his minutes the way Luke did tonight. Ingram was a +10 by the way.

Lou was by far the best +/-, and he had 12 points, 2 assists, and 3 steals in 14 minutes (efficient shooting as well).

Rotations helped. Not being on the court much when Harden was helped. Nevertheless, Lou had an effective game today. It wouldn't kill you to admit that, even if it doesn't change your overall opinion of his game.

Yes, but +/- has so many variables involved that it is often misleading. Ingram was +10. Nance was +7. That Lou had the highest +/- doesn't mean anything to me. It was more indicative of the rotations Luke trotted out, and how they scored the ball.

I've seen enough to know exactly what he brings to the table. The less minutes he plays, the better the team is -- that's always been the case with the teams he's been on. This is by virtue of the NBA level competition knowing exactly how and when to attack him. He's a sitting duck out there for opponents. It wasn't any different with Gordon or Ennis tonight.

To me, it's incredible that Luke limited his minutes to 14 and even gave Metta, the 15th man, some of his minutes. That's as good of a minute distribution that you can get for a player like him. I'm hoping it stays that way.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Yes, but +/- has so many variables involved that it is often misleading. Ingram was +10. Nance was +7. That Lou had the highest +/- doesn't mean anything to me. It was more indicative of the rotations Luke trotted out, and how they scored the ball.

I've seen enough to know exactly what he brings to the table. The less minutes he plays, the better the team is -- that's always been the case with the teams he's been on. This is by virtue of the NBA level competition knowing exactly how and when to attack him. He's a sitting duck out there for opponents. It wasn't any different with Gordon or Ennis tonight.

To me, it's incredible that Luke limited his minutes to 14 and even gave Metta, the 15th man, some of his minutes. That's as good of a minute distribution that you can get for a player like him.

I know the limitations of +/-. However, it becomes harder to argue someone who put up excellent stats in his minutes did so on an empty basis, or gave up more points than he earned, when his +/- was also great.

I realize his limitations as well. My point is TODAY he was actually quite good, and for some reason you're insistent against all evidence except for a poor 4-5 play sequence that he had a bad game.

But whatever, obviously this conversation is going nowhere.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

To me, it's incredible that Luke limited his minutes to 14 and even gave Metta, the 15th man, some of his minutes. That's as good of a minute distribution that you can get for a player like him.

I know the limitations of +/-. However, it becomes harder to argue someone who put up excellent stats in his minutes did so on an empty basis, or gave up more points than he earned, when his +/- was also great.

I realize his limitations as well. My point is TODAY he was actually quite good, and for some reason you're insistent against all evidence except for a poor 4-5 play sequence that he had a bad game.

But whatever, obviously this conversation is going nowhere.

I'll admit he played well. Let's move on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It seemed to improve between the first and second halves.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I thought Luke managed everyones minutes really well. Our main guys had fresh legs to finish the game, and he rode the hot hand as much as he could too.

Contrast that to MDA who ran his guys into the ground. You could see how fatigue they were in the 4th...

A lot of this W goes to Luke for out coaching MDA. Which isn't hard to do today...
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I knew Capela would give us problems in the pick n roll because he's a pretty mobile big. I don't think it's any coincidence the defense got better in the 2nd half when Luke went with a smaller lineup and sat Mozgov.

I hope this becomes a part of our identity, where we're able to make adjustments at halftime and become a better defensive team in the 2nd halves of games.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Well it did improve actually. Gave up 71 1st half but only 41 in the 2nd half.

And it was against a Dantoni team. So yeah it did help.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
I thought Luke managed everyones minutes really well. Our main guys had fresh legs to finish the game, and he rode the hot hand as much as he could too.

Contrast that to MDA who ran his guys into the ground. You could see how fatigue they were in the 4th...

A lot of this W goes to Luke for out coaching MDA. Which isn't hard to do today...

This is for real. Just checked the box score - not one Laker played thirty minutes! Rockets starters played 30+ and Harden with 37 mins.

Luke already resting guys for playoffs
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Idk fresh legs okay, but their 19-23 yr olds. Russell and Randle 29 min? Deng played 10 minutes too many. Those should have gone to Ingram.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

This is for real. Just checked the box score - not one Laker played thirty minutes! Rockets starters played 30+ and Harden with 37 mins.

He doesn't want the fatigue kicking in when the Cavs take us to 7 games in the finals.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

55 bench points
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Luke Walton is now 40-4 as head coach

Lets finish the season with a 121-4 record
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

He doesn't want the fatigue kicking in when the Cavs take us to 7 games in the finals.

Child please, Lakers in 6.

!...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject:

He finally benched lou!!!!!!!!!!!

Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:

He really had great management of the minutes.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

We should trade Huertas or Calderon away. I really prefer Lou at PG
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
We should trade Huertas or Calderon away. I really prefer Lou at PG

Huertas chemistry with our bigs is just too good

rather trade lou
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject:

goat
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Arbitrary wrote:
He really had great management of the minutes.

Agreed. His minutes management alone show me he's not going to flame out as a coach. He made some good second half adjustments as well. Love the Spurs/GS approach to minutes management.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Lou was good. 12 points, 2 assists, and 3 steals in 14 minutes.

That's explicitly contributing to at least 16 points for the Lakers, and personally causing 3/14 of the Rockets turnovers. You combine that with 3-4 trips to the foul line. You can hate his skills, but I'm never complaining when we're in the Bonus halfway through the quarter.

In regards to our main man Luke. Loved the starting lineup, loved the rotations, loved the half time and in game adjustments, and I loved the W.

A 140 point half is tiring, he let the starters rest as long as he could, bolstered by great play from the bench, and rode most of them the rest of the game. He even kept the hottest hand of the second half, JC, in for the final minutes, along with forcing the Rockets to try and beat Randle on the PnR switch.

This team is inexperienced but super talented. They have a ton of versatility and a brilliant coach who seems like he can use it. Still early in the game, but I love what I saw.

3 highest scorers are aged Clakrson(24yrs), Russel(20yrs), and Randle(21yrs). How are they not going to get better?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

We have a coach who can make halftime adjustments??!?!?!?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject:

This is what happens when you pick the right coach for a change.
I'm not expecting playoffs but about damn time we got a coach who is value added.

Been a huge fan of Luke's immediate decision to bring Clarkson off the bench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Too much showboating by our young guys tonight. Hopefully Luke talks to them about it, they've gotta be more business like in their approach to the game. The Spurs killed the Warriors by 30 last night, yet they still went about it the right way.

Let the kids enjoy themselves. I like their exuberance.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
55 bench points

This is why jc is there. Most nights we should win the bench game. Thought Luke minutes were a bit off but heck, I love winning.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 181 of 818
Jump to: