Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Lou starts and you can rest him the last two minutes, and into the first two minutes of the 4th. And he plays the last 10 minutes of the 4th. Just like Kobe. It's fairly simple.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
And the thing is our reporters have asked him about his play this year, and what is he doing that's so effective this year, and Lou's answer was, "I just want to stay on the floor." He's doing things to stay on the floor! The dude wants the minutes. You are depleted. He's your MJ! He's not a 6th man. You're not deep right now, you don't have that luxury. They need to grasp this.

Daniels had a career night against Lou or there's tonight. Lou is good offensively but gives there's same on defensive end

C'mon now. That's not the reason. It's not as if you got Bruce Bowen taking his minutes.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Maybe a dumb question but what do we think Luke's best qualities are so far. Are we simply looking at the fact that they're winning more than we thought they would and assuming that his coaching is the reason?

I think he has been fine so far because he hasn't gotten in the way and he is letting them play but I haven't seen an offensive or defensive identity put in place yet so it's hard for me to tell what his real coaching plan is. There hasn't been nearly enough time so that's no fault of his.

I don't see how it'd be an assumption to think that this early success is directly because of Luke. That's not an assumption. It's something as plain as day for anyone who tuned in last year. In the eyes of the media, the reason they're so much better is because Kobe is gone, which is absurd to me. Kobe being gone is relevant to them playing better, sure, but their struggles last season were mostly because they didn't have a coach. They had a prideful, arrogant, Pat Riley wannabe that not only perceived developing the young players as some chore, but was also clueless on how to do it. The DA report during a TNT game last year confirmed what many of us already believed about Russell's development: he had zero guidance. He was being left to "figure out" how to be an NBA point guard on his own, rather than being taught.

What's more, last year's coach used rotation minutes as a sword he could yield to hold players hostage if he became unhappy, which usually leads to guys playing with fear, because they know if they make a mistake they'll get yanked. Luke very seldom does that. Russell has some pretty awful turnovers at times that lead to fast breaks for the other team, forcing Luke to call timeouts. But 99% of the time he leaves Russell out there even after those bad plays. He doesn't put him on the bench. That sort of thing makes all the difference in the world because he's still learning. Unlike last year's coach, Luke is allowing him to play through his mistakes, and it's paying dividends despite the fact that he's averaging less minutes than last year. Last year's coach was incapable of grasping any of these things.

But let's just make a list of what Luke has been able to accomplish so far:

1) Rejuvenated Nick Young by empowering him positively, which has transformed him into a legit 3 and D player.

2) Molding JR into a more complete player, especially as a playmaker. Last year he had a one track mind of getting his own, this year he's looking to set guys up. He's also playing much more under control and showing flashes of intriguing defensive potential.

3) Totally revamped the offense, turning them into one of the best offensive teams in the league so far, whereas last year they were arguably the worst.

4) Established a culture that empowers ALL of his players, not just vets/the players he'd want in his foxhole. Everyone is equal and accountable.

5) Masterminded the bench mob in such a way that they now have the best bench in the league by a wide margin.

6) Cultivated Ingram's versatility, which will make him an even more complete player down the line.

7) Empowered Lou as both a lethal scorer and playmaker; so much so that Calderon and Huertas have only played sparingly when everyone is healthy.

8) Done a terrific job at making in-game adjustments, rather than robotic, predetermined rotations/decisions like last year's coach.

9) Molding Russell into the dynamic point guard that we all knew he'd be.

10) Instilled a "never quit" mentality within the team, which is why they've only had a few blowouts even with key players injured.

11) And though they've mostly struggled on defense, they're still much better at it this year than they were last year. They've had a few really nice games where they showed potential.

A good majority of their wins have been against teams that they aren't "supposed" to beat, according to the experts. You don't accomplish all of this by simply "getting out of the way." Are there still important improvements that need to be made? Of course. There's no question about that. But what we can't afford to do is lose perspective and pretend that improvement is easy. This team is so much farther along than most expected. I was hoping they'd at least grow into a .500 team by next season, but they're already there from the very beginning, even despite the fact that they've had one of the toughest schedules so far.

And last, but not least, the guy who's oversaw all of this is a mere rookie as a head coach. Only an ungrateful moron of a fan (of which we have a few in this forum) wouldn't be absolutely ecstatic right now about the direction of the team under his guidance. That's an outrageously long list of things to accomplish so early in the season, especially for a rookie coach. He's proving that the "37-4" wasn't incidental with him just being there as a substitute teacher. He left his fingerprints at the scene of the crime.

I absolutely think Luke was a great addition and that Byron was about as bad as can be in all aspects. I was speaking more about the idea of judging the team strictly based on its record. That was what got Byron a coach of the year award in New Orleans and it is how Lawrence Frank got a big coaching contract because the team won a bunch in a row after Byron got fired in New Jersey. Sometimes teams just get a boost when the coach changes, the Lakers even saw a little spark with Bernie a few years ago.

The Lakers have won several games playing no defense at all and just relying on guys like Lou and Clarkson shooting red hot from outside. I don't think that style is any part of Luke's vision but it is getting some wins in the present. I think Luke's coaching acumen will be shown later when he has enough time to mold the team into a group that plays in a more consistent and sustainable style.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
And the thing is our reporters have asked him about his play this year, and what is he doing that's so effective this year, and Lou's answer was, "I just want to stay on the floor." He's doing things to stay on the floor! The dude wants the minutes. You are depleted. He's your MJ! He's not a 6th man. You're not deep right now, you don't have that luxury. They need to grasp this.

Daniels had a career night against Lou or there's tonight. Lou is good offensively but gives there's same on defensive end

I only saw the first half and during that time Lou wasn't guarding him, Clarkson spent a lot of time on him. Did that change in the second half? Daniels had something like 24 or 26 points in the first half.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Lou starts and you can rest him the last two minutes, and into the first two minutes of the 4th. And he plays the last 10 minutes of the 4th. Just like Kobe. It's fairly simple.

I am sure that is exactly what you do with the NBA team you coach.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Lou is our Michael Jordan and should be playing Kobe minutes. And Deng is our Scottie Pippen and should be playing Pau Gasol minutes. Luke desperately needs to realize this before this season becomes a train wreck.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

So grumpy.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Might be the only coach in the league that purposely starts his worst players so he can save his amazing bench unit to attempt to bail us out down double digits. Why is he overthinking it? You start Lou Williams t'ill D'angelo comes back. It's simple.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Awful coaching tonight. Just awful. To start these five is one of the worst decisions for a while. His coaching in this game complete garbage. Lost on Luke for sure. You have injuries. Adjust on it. Just awful
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Once you decide to defend someone, you go all the way. I know your tendency. So it's okay, I get it.

Hey, another uphill battle tonight. Another 3rd quarter debacle. But what do I know. Luke is a genius.
Iconic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Ingram - Metta - Deng - Randle - Mozgov all starting. How can you be a head coach in the NBA and put that lineup out on the court?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Might be the only coach in the league that purposely starts his worst players so he can save his amazing bench unit to attempt to bail us out down double digits. Why is he overthinking it? You start Lou Williams t'ill D'angelo comes back. It's simple.

Yep. Too simple apparently.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

You gotta give your team a chance to win Luke. Starting MWP is chalking it up an L before the jump. Point blank.

Last edited by dcarter4kobe on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm enjoying tonight. It's win/win for me. Always love it if Lakers can pull it out, but the bad thing is, Luke doesn't learn. But if the lose, I hope Luke learns something tonight. But even with a loss, I doubt it because we've been losing and he has done no adjustments. If you took away more starters, all Luke would do is pick out people from the stands to start.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Luke's definitely over thinking it with the lineups.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Luke you killed me with those rotations, like bro why did you let the Jazz build such a huge lead in that lousy 3rd quarter.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

High school level coaching tonight.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Huertas should not be playing in the 4th quarter of a close game
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Starting lineup was ugly.

Putting Deng back to finish was not a good idea.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Cant overlook the veteran leadership both Deng and MWP provides.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
nash wrote:

Cant overlook the veteran leadership both Deng and MWP provides.

airballs you mean?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Lou Williams was tired by the end of the 4th.
Why was Deng in instead of Ingram?
Why not play TRob over Metta? (Even as sg haha)
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Luke's a great coach but until the starting lineup's back, he has to break up the bench. We're starting to lose bench guys in Larry and Tarik at this point. Might as well adapt and find new lineups.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Lou Williams was tired by the end of the 4th.
Why was Deng in instead of Ingram?
Why not play TRob over Metta? (Even as sg haha)

Because we gifted them the 3rd quarter and then asked him to mount a comeback like always. If he starts the 3rd, the Jazz run probably does not happen. The game stays close, he can be taken out at the 2 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, and he can even rest into the 10 minute mark of the 4th, then play the rest of the 4th. The game and legs would possibly be more manageable. This is what I've seen for twenty years with Kobe. But all of a sudden, I'm the crazy one who doesn't know what he's talking about according to Luke apologists.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Luke said he thought Metta did fine
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 232 of 818
Jump to: