Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Serena Winters‏@SerenaWinters
Luke Walton said Lakers are going to focus on picking up the tempo, playing a faster pace down the last stretch of the season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Any theories as to why Luke waited a month to play TRob?
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason he played today is because other guys were struggling.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
He's awful.
But today, so were Black and Zubac (and Randle and Nance). T-Rob gives some energy at the least.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

BBQIQ. Another example today at the end of the half, where he let Aldridge shoot an open J off the inbounds with 1.8 sec left because he was hanging in the paint for the rebound. I agree with the others that he played today because the other bigs were struggling.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I'd say the reason he shouldn't play many mins is BBIQ, that's fair.

But zero minutes for over a month? No spot minutes at all?

I mean, we're not exactly basketball Einsteins here with TRob on the bench.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

you know what you get with TROB. hustle, dirty work. thats it. not really smarts. he's a vet in the nba now i know he isnt old but he's still a vet. we are looking at our kids right now. sorry deng, sorry mos, sorry anyone else who has been in the nba for 5+ years. except nick. everyone else is pine riding for the kids. we knock out two birds with one stone.

#1. we get to evaluate our young guys with more mins and in different game situations. no more lou will heroics to bail the kids out. can they do that themselves yet? who will TRY. who will try and actually pull it off a few times? Who still doesn't get it? Who needs another summer and another year before they look good? who probably is what they are. meaning no much will change with their games in 5 more years?

#2. kids get a lot of run meaning bad basketball = more losses. = draft pick(hopfeully).
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Well, there was no reason to play him. They want to see how Black and Zub do with extended run. Nance and Randle get their normal rotation minutes. They want to see how Deng looks at the 4 and how the young guys look playing with a small ball four. Just can't find enough minutes to play him and still do all these things.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Luke said after practice regarding Nwaba that the team's looking to shift towards a D identity and bring in players who provide that. I wonder if this might manifest in the draft and free agency choices... I could really see the Lakers drafting Jackson 2nd or 3rd. If that's not just a throwaway quote, I wonder what it means for Randle's future on the team, too.

I'm interested in the Lakers building more like the Jazz or Spurs than the Warriors. A team with absolute flamethrowers on offense but terrible defense is barely clawing for the 8th seed, Portland.

For as much flack Luke gets for poor defensive coaching, which I can agree with, the personnel needs to upgrade in that department too.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

If Lakers keep their pick and Ball is available they will not pass on him for Jackson but if he is gone I think Jackson is the pick
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Luke said after practice regarding Nwaba that the team's looking to shift towards a D identity and bring in players who provide that. I wonder if this might manifest in the draft and free agency choices... I could really see the Lakers drafting Jackson 2nd or 3rd. If that's not just a throwaway quote, I wonder what it means for Randle's future on the team, too.

I'm interested in the Lakers building more like the Jazz or Spurs than the Warriors. A team with absolute flamethrowers on offense but terrible defense is barely clawing for the 8th seed, Portland.

For as much flack Luke gets for poor defensive coaching, which I can agree with, the personnel needs to upgrade in that department too.

I don't think we're building like the Jazz, we're just emphasizing our defense because it's so terrible. Almost all of our young assets outside of Ingram have a pretty low defensive potential. We're trying to get a defensive identity, defensive players or anything that makes us not be the worst defensive team in the league
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I think they want to build a second unit that is strong defensively, in theory Clarkson, Nwaba, Brewer, Nance and either Black or Zubac, if Zubac eventually starts has potential to be a great defensive team
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Yup, we need some D'fenders on the floor! The 3 players we have added recently are all good to very good defenders from what I can tell. So we have shipped out/waived Frodo, Lou and Calderon and replaced them with guys who can D it up.

I like Nwaba- he could be our guard version of Larry Nance.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I think they want to build a second unit that is strong defensively, in theory Clarkson, Nwaba, Brewer, Nance and either Black or Zubac, if Zubac eventually starts has potential to be a great defensive team

Clarkson has to step up on D still. I do give him credit for at least putting forth consistent effort on D this year. He is not smart about his rotations or positioning yet, but I can see the effort is there.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luke Walton said Lakers are going to focus on picking up the tempo, playing a faster pace down the last stretch of the season.

There is something that concerns me about this statement.

IMO Luke should have a overall Philosophy on how he likes to play the game on both sides of the ball. The fact that halfway through the season he wants to focus on playing the game a little differently makes me believe he doesn't really know how he wants to play.

I get trying to adapt your coaching to the pieces you have around you. But shouldn't we have been playing up tempo since the beginning of the season with the pieces we have on this team?

I might be overthinking this just disappointed with how the team has played this season. It cant all be the players faults. Coaches have to put players in position to have the most success...

I see what Dantoni is doing with the Rockets. reviving careers in Gordon and bringing the best out of players like Ariza and Bev. Young guys like Dekker and Harrell Playing well.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

IMO Luke should have a overall Philosophy on how he likes to play the game on both sides of the ball. The fact that halfway through the season he wants to focus on playing the game a little differently makes me believe he doesn't really know how he wants to play.

I get trying to adapt your coaching to the pieces you have around you. But shouldn't we have been playing up tempo since the beginning of the season with the pieces we have on this team?

I might be overthinking this just disappointed with how the team has played this season. It cant all be the players faults. Coaches have to put players in position to have the most success...

I see what Dantoni is doing with the Rockets. reviving careers in Gordon and bringing the best out of players like Ariza and Bev. Young guys like Dekker and Harrell Playing well.

This has been Luke's philosophy from the beginning of the season. He's not changing anything, just emphasizing it.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

We couldn't emphasize picking up the tempo and playing faster when we were starting a Deng and Moz.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

Learning comes before acceleration. The players had to learn his systems first. You don't do that going balls out, that won't work.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I think that the work from Luke is paying off. I know it is a long season and guys tune the coach out, but he seems to be pressing the right buttons.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Will be interesting to see what kind of rotation he goes with to finish the season. A lot of parts to evaluate. My focus would be on

Zubac/Black
Randle/Nance
Ingram/Nick
JC/Nwaba
DLO/

With Mozgov/TROb/MWP/Deng and 1 of Brewer/Ennis on the outside looking in.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject:

Luke has done a good job in developing our young players as well as the team as a whole. Early this season, we play with 2 almost completely separate units and let Russell and Randle to be the skeleton of starting unit and playing team basketball while the 2nd unit relied more on Lou's individual ability. Later he moved Ingram and Black into the starting unit and let Mozgov and Deng play with the 2nd unit. With the trade of Lou and the move of Mozgov and Deng to DNP, we give more playing time to starting unit and shorten the bench to mainly Clarkson, Nance and Zubac. Whoever on the court, we play like a team with one system now. With the further development of our young core players' personal skill and experience gained, the future looks so bright!
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

We couldn't emphasize picking up the tempo and playing faster when we were starting a Deng and Moz.

It's also hard to pick up the tempo if your starters are still learning the playbook and how to play in the NBA. Lots of things he'd love to do I'm sure, but you have to prioritize.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject:

People have to remember that Luke Walton is a rookie coach too, this is his first season as a headcoach. He's improving throughout the course of the season too.

I think right now Luke is trying to find a core to go forward with next season, guys that know the system and will be able to play rotational/starter/star minutes next season. If no trades were to be made I'm guessing it would look like this next season

DLO (starter)
Ingram (Starter)
Randle (starter)
Clarkson (6th man)
Nance (7th man)
Tarik Black (backup big man)
Zubac (all depends on how fast he progresses)

Deng, Moz, Brewer are all going to be deep bench again next season.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

I love Luke and hope he's the guy here for 20 years. He seems like he will only get better and better. That said, he needs to figure out the rotations better. I've been crying all season and I'm sure many of you as well. Last night we went up(I believe 88-82) in the 4th. Had momentum and the crowd was rocking. Instead of putting the starters in at the 7:30 mark. He waited till the 5 min mark. It's a small move but it cost us. What Luke isn't manipulating is the 2nd units role. If you get the bench to come in and give energy and expand a lead in a short burst, that's all you want. Instead he has this hot hand theory and the bench ultimately allows the other teams starters to get coooking. It's happened several times this season. Prior, Lou would just make ridiculous shots and toss up prayers while getting fouled and keep us in games which was fools gold for the team. Our starters no matter the situation(obviously there is some exceptions) should be at the scorers table with 8 min left. Also, I need to see less Young and more Brewer and Nwaba. We will be losing floor spacing at times but gaining energy and defense. Brewer looked like he could serve a purpose here and Nwaba to me was impressive despite the hand grenade he tossed up.

Longtime LG lurker.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
I love Luke and hope he's the guy here for 20 years. He seems like he will only get better and better. That said, he needs to figure out the rotations better. I've been crying all season and I'm sure many of you as well. Last night we went up(I believe 88-82) in the 4th. Had momentum and the crowd was rocking. Instead of putting the starters in at the 7:30 mark. He waited till the 5 min mark. It's a small move but it cost us. What Luke isn't manipulating is the 2nd units role. If you get the bench to come in and give energy and expand a lead in a short burst, that's all you want. Instead he has this hot hand theory and the bench ultimately allows the other teams starters to get coooking. It's happened several times this season. Prior, Lou would just make ridiculous shots and toss up prayers while getting fouled and keep us in games which was fools gold for the team. Our starters no matter the situation(obviously there is some exceptions) should be at the scorers table with 8 min left. Also, I need to see less Young and more Brewer and Nwaba. We will be losing floor spacing at times but gaining energy and defense. Brewer looked like he could serve a purpose here and Nwaba to me was impressive despite the hand grenade he tossed up.

You're right. But part of me doesn't mind b/c it leads to L's. Hopefully Luke has it figured out next season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 283 of 818
Jump to: