Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

IDK man. Luke wasn't even Diet Byron postgame after the Denver and Houston massacres. He went full Byron. You never go full Byron
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I'm tired of Luke giving guys props after every blowout loss. He's running this team like it's a summer jamboree. He needs to start calling guys out, specifically, otherwise they'll never grasp concepts such as team defense, ball movement, etc. which require focus and discipline.

Forget it, what's the point of calling out anyone when they have shut down several vet players already. Keep it on the down-low and force them to watch game tape of poor ass defense that will not be tolerated after this season. Bad attitude, poor effort, dumb plays will be a benching going forward after this lame season.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

BTW, Luke and B-Shaw must feel a little bad. I'm sure Mitch talked to them when they decided to target "realistic" free agents this time around. I remember all the talk about how Luke was going to turn Moz into Bogot, and B-Shaw's connection with Moz in Denver.

LUKE ON MOZ SIGNING

Walton was one of the key factors in bringing Mozgov to L.A., as the two talked quite a bit on the phone leading up to the signing. Aside from the obvious defensive presence that Mozgov brings, Walton also feels that he can be a solid contributor on offense as well.

“He also allows us to be able to run half court sets through the post and things of that nature. I was huge on pushing to try to get Mozgov and I’m thrilled that we were able to get that done.”

Not to mention B-Shaw's connection to Moz in Denver and his vouching. You can see how the momentum built for this signing.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

To be quite frank, been pretty disappointed with Luke. Add to the fact that his assistants are just old buddies, they don't really add much to the coaching staff.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Grading Luke this season

- Hired who proved to be an incompetent Defensive coordinator because he was a former Laker. Worst defense in the league, bad defensive concepts
- Installed a modern offense (something that most coaches would have done)
- Didn't reward D'angelo with minutes for good play for most of the season.
- Didn't test lineups that had been successful in limited minutes
- Restricted Julius from shooting 3s. Couldn't get him to become a halfway decent screen setter.
- Defied common sense and played a physically underdeveloped rookie close to 40mpg for stretches. Thanks for the tendinitis
- Couldn't get JC to be a bit less one dimensional for most of the season
- If i remember correctly, according to GT - he didn't run our most successful plays enough
- was decent with the media, but nothing special (not like he tried to thwart bullcrap D'angelo narratives)

Grade: D
period.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Luke gets a C from me. I agree with everything you wrote, KIROE, but I was more or less content with how the team was playing up through that Phoenix game before the All Star Break. They were still competitive. Players still improved and some vets had career years under Luke. We still saw individual development with the young guys and Luke might have saved Julius Randle from becoming Kenneth Faried but worse at defense. I'm not really judging him too harshly about any decisions he's made about post ASB given the deliberate tank job by the front office and the guys he's stuck playing... I also don't want recency bias to cloud my judgment re: this stretch.

But yeah.... Let's say that I'm still on board because we've also seen this team play well at times, but he's got another year to keep me on board.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Luke gets a C from me. I agree with everything you wrote, KIROE, but I was more or less content with how the team was playing up through that Phoenix game before the All Star Break. They were still competitive. Players still improved and some vets had career years under Luke. We still saw individual development with the young guys and Luke might have saved Julius Randle from becoming Kenneth Faried but worse at defense. I'm not really judging him too harshly about any decisions he's made about post ASB given the deliberate tank job by the front office and the guys he's stuck playing... I also don't want recency bias to cloud my judgment re: this stretch.

But yeah.... Let's say that I'm still on board because we've also seen this team play well at times, but he's got another year to keep me on board.

how worried you were about Ingram, is like how I am with Luke. Just, not much shown to instill confidence going forward.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Grading Luke this season

- Hired who proved to be an incompetent Defensive coordinator because he was a former Laker. Worst defense in the league, bad defensive concepts
- Restricted Julius from shooting 3s. Couldn't get him to become a halfway decent screen setter.
- Defied common sense and played a physically underdeveloped rookie close to 40mpg for stretches. Thanks for the tendinitis
- If i remember correctly, according to GT - he didn't run our most successful plays enough
- was decent with the media, but nothing special (not like he tried to thwart bullcrap D'angelo narratives)

period.

Hard to argue with any of this.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

how worried you were about Ingram, is like how I am with Luke. Just, not much shown to instill confidence going forward.

(bleep) you got me with the Ingram comment. I've got no further follow up

I think some recency bias plays in here though. Maybe this is a reverse Ingram case. He was better to start the year. I can't really talk on how to breakdown his coaching gameplan around this time because I'm a dummy, but if you asked me how I felt about Luke all the way up through the end of January... I was fine. Had some questions, but I was fine.

What about you?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

(bleep) you got me with the Ingram comment. I've got no further follow up

I think some recency bias plays in here though. Maybe this is a reverse Ingram case. He was better to start the year. I can't really talk on how to breakdown his coaching gameplan around this time because I'm a dummy, but if you asked me how I felt about Luke all the way up through the end of January... I was fine. Had some questions, but I was fine.

What about you?

hahah I'm too salty about the Ingram detractors

Developing DLo was one of the biggest priorities this season. And even from the start of the year, Luke didn't give him enough minutes.

I'm pro-tank so I don't really judge Luke based on W/L. I guess there's less opportunity for redeemable coaching when you're trying to tank though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Love the rotations Luke has used since Magic and Pelinka's arrival.

Even next year. Starting lineup should be:
JC
DLO
Ingram
Randle
Zubac/Nance

Nick is arguably our best player. But we all know what that caps out at (non-playoff team). Rather struggle and figure things out with the young guys than with vets that have known ceilings.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yeah I don't get it either. Really annoyed Luke benched Ingram late in the game when he was getting it going. Yes, I know, minute restriction but there were a few mins left in the game and he was taking over.

But I was happy to see him single out Randle early rather than bench the entire starting unit.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Luke has done a good job in installing his system to this team. Now any 5 players, with or without Russell, can play pretty good offense. We are much better in offense, half court or fast break. A lot of ball and players movement. Can take 3s, can play uptempo style, can run fast break, can cut in. We're waiting for our young players to get mature and consistent
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
Luke has done a good job in installing his system to this team. Now any 5 players, with or without Russell, can play pretty good offense. We are much better in offense, half court or fast break. A lot of ball and players movement. Can take 3s, can play uptempo style, can run fast break, can cut in. We're waiting for our young players to get mature and consistent

I've been pretty disappointed with the offense in the second half of the season though. I realize he's working with a lot of new players post ASB... sure, the offense looks better than last year, but not by a ton. It's not really clicking these days. I realize that Luke said to start the season that he's implementing it slowly until players grasp fundaments but c'mon...

The Lakers have the 23rd best offense, one spot below the Mavs. I guess that's... better?

The offense is unwatchable without Russell, at least from what I've seen. Missed the past two games
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
sure, the offense looks better than last year, but not by a ton.

I'm no X's & O's expert, but to me the offense looks miles better. I'd guess it's crippled by the amount of non-shooting we have on the roster, but you really should watch last season again and be reminded of how many times there was LITERALLY no off ball movement under Byron's schemes. Literally. Just a one man iso show, and not necessarily just with Kobe.

*shudders*
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Here are two charts comparing offensive styles under Byron and Luke:

The Lakers offense under Byron: http://nyloncalculus.com/files/2016/04/LakersYeartoYear.jpg

The Lakers offense under Luke: http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2017/04/Lakers17.jpg

Definitely miles better.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

The Lakers offense under Byron: http://nyloncalculus.com/files/2016/04/LakersYeartoYear.jpg

The Lakers offense under Luke: http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2017/04/Lakers17.jpg

Definitely miles better.

I really thought the link to Byron's offense would lead to something like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Le1UU7TdGak/hqdefault.jpg
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Definitely miles better.

I really thought the link to Byron's offense would lead to something like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Le1UU7TdGak/hqdefault.jpg

Too much movement for Byron's offense.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Coaching on the NBA level is overrated, the keys are talent and effort.

Unfortunately, our squad has little of either.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Definitely miles better.

Thanks! Confirms what I thought. Would love to see shot selection improve but I suppose that comes with roster construction.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Coaching on the NBA level is overrated, the keys are talent and effort.

Unfortunately, our squad has little of either.

Talent is king, but scheme and motivation are huge, which is why some coaches always do well.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Grading Luke this season

period.

I had high hopes for Luke, and am still an optimistic fan for the future, but you're right -- reading the above, can't argue with reality that he wasn't that good and mediocre at best this year.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Grading Luke this season

period.

I had high hopes for Luke, and am still an optimistic fan for the future, but you're right -- reading the above, can't argue with reality that he wasn't that good and mediocre at best this year.

It is not perfect but Luke has done quite a good job. Most important, he has installed a modern offense. We can play uptempo style basketball now, can run fast break, can hit 3s. There are many ball movement, many off ball movements, many high screens... The reason our offense is still not that good is our young players are not ready yet. Russell and Ingram are the 2 supposed to carry our offense. However, Russell was injuried after 20 games and Ingram is still in his rookie season getting used to NBA game. How good our offense can be is really depending on the development of these 2 young players. The offense step back in the 2nd half season is also due to we trade away or bench our veterant players and keep trying different lineups. Defense show flashes but need a lot of work.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject:

Some thoughts about Luke:

Pros:
- He was able to set the team in November in a way that took everyone by surprise and had an unbelievable 10-10 run
- Recovering Young and getting all of Lou's potential
- Training Ingram to be a ball handler
- New offensive system. Although I believe he should improve the playbook, it's quite different from Byron's anarchy.
- DLO improvement as a playmaker. Having a 20/21yr-old running the show is not easy.
- Good demeanor, players seem to like him, although I don't believe they're running thru walls for him, anymore.

Cons:
- By far, defense. Our team defense is confuse, our rotations, terrible, and so our lineups. It's a complete mess.
- Was quit stubborn with his starting and bench lineups when injuries happened. Couldn't adjust.
- Rotations, overall. Didn't play some good rotations and didn't adjust in-game.
- Robot subs, although it got better after ASG.
- Double standards. Some players had more freedom to screw things up than others.
- Not sure, but somehow I think he could have gotten more from Deng and Mozgov.

I won't grade him, but I'll give him a pass from his rookie year. But, just like our young core, I expect a great improvement next season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 301 of 818
Jump to: