Official LUKE WALTON Head Coach Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 29524
Location: Torrance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover

Just hope Lonzo makes it all look good...
_________________
Smash-mouth basketball - Officially Dead (2014-2017)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 1999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Can we do predictions for starting line-up and minutes for the season opener?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 1387

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Judah wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The facts are that Luke was being criticized for his coaching decisions and the results they produced where Atkinson was being praised despite making what you pointed out was a poor coaching decision leading to a blowout loss. Didn't Nick and Lou put up some career numbers under Luke? Again it's the grass is greener syndrome where everything we don't have is better than what we have. We also had several injuries last year that impacted our record, every team does, every season. Atkinson may very well turn out to be the better coach but there's nothing objective to determine that at this point.


Or Kenny Atkinson wanted to see what his team could do without Lin and D'Lo carrying them in a meaningless preseason game? Unfortunately Atkinson didn't realize manlisten would take this to be proof that he ain't all that. Furthermore, what is it with you people and criticism? Just because people say that Atkinson is better and more experienced than Luke doesn't mean Luke sucks. It means looking at their experience prior to their first coaching jobs, and evaluating their coaching jobs, one guy is better than the other. No reason for such sensitivity.


Nobody is getting sensitive dude. It's just peculiar how differently each coach is being evaluated. Even in this post you rationalize his rotations whereas Luke gets hammered for experimenting in preseason. I'm not saying you in particular but that seems to be the general sentiment from some. And then you credit the Nets for starting 3-0 and beating Miami but when they get blown out it's a 'meaningless preseason game'. Something else to keep in mind is that the Nets had about a week of training camp before their first game and the Lakers had 3 days if I'm not mistaken.



This. Definitely this. It's a clear indication of bias that Atkinson's decisions can be contextualized under the guise of it only being preseason, but let's all scream bloody murder when Luke gives the ball to Ingram in the clutch so he can gain some level of experience in that kind of situation as the potential go to guy. The bias is absolutely incredible.

But that's the problem with the fair weather fan. It's all about the shortsightedness of the cool of the day.


Lol if you think criticisms of Luke's coaching only surfaced this preseason, then you have hundreds of pages of reading to do in this thread. Furthermore, equating one substitution decision with charging a player with the no. 1 option status (particularly when there is a capable 20 ppg scorer on the team who played in the last game) without the skill set or physicality to handle such a load is a comical false equivalency. Just like criticisms of Ingram, the current criticisms are the result of not seeing enough progress from where we were last year. None of this means Ingram or Luke will be trash. However, it means your current performance is disappointing. And, yes, if people can't talk about why things are disappointing and compare you to peers, you're being sensitive.

So first manlisten was sensitive because he disagreed with you, and now I am as well for apparently the same reason. Get over yourself, dude. Seriously.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3209

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover

I question Luke more and more every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 8052
Location: The (real) short corner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11458

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
KBH wrote:
Judah wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The facts are that Luke was being criticized for his coaching decisions and the results they produced where Atkinson was being praised despite making what you pointed out was a poor coaching decision leading to a blowout loss. Didn't Nick and Lou put up some career numbers under Luke? Again it's the grass is greener syndrome where everything we don't have is better than what we have. We also had several injuries last year that impacted our record, every team does, every season. Atkinson may very well turn out to be the better coach but there's nothing objective to determine that at this point.


Or Kenny Atkinson wanted to see what his team could do without Lin and D'Lo carrying them in a meaningless preseason game? Unfortunately Atkinson didn't realize manlisten would take this to be proof that he ain't all that. Furthermore, what is it with you people and criticism? Just because people say that Atkinson is better and more experienced than Luke doesn't mean Luke sucks. It means looking at their experience prior to their first coaching jobs, and evaluating their coaching jobs, one guy is better than the other. No reason for such sensitivity.


Nobody is getting sensitive dude. It's just peculiar how differently each coach is being evaluated. Even in this post you rationalize his rotations whereas Luke gets hammered for experimenting in preseason. I'm not saying you in particular but that seems to be the general sentiment from some. And then you credit the Nets for starting 3-0 and beating Miami but when they get blown out it's a 'meaningless preseason game'. Something else to keep in mind is that the Nets had about a week of training camp before their first game and the Lakers had 3 days if I'm not mistaken.



This. Definitely this. It's a clear indication of bias that Atkinson's decisions can be contextualized under the guise of it only being preseason, but let's all scream bloody murder when Luke gives the ball to Ingram in the clutch so he can gain some level of experience in that kind of situation as the potential go to guy. The bias is absolutely incredible.

But that's the problem with the fair weather fan. It's all about the shortsightedness of the cool of the day.


Lol if you think criticisms of Luke's coaching only surfaced this preseason, then you have hundreds of pages of reading to do in this thread. Furthermore, equating one substitution decision with charging a player with the no. 1 option status (particularly when there is a capable 20 ppg scorer on the team who played in the last game) without the skill set or physicality to handle such a load is a comical false equivalency. Just like criticisms of Ingram, the current criticisms are the result of not seeing enough progress from where we were last year. None of this means Ingram or Luke will be trash. However, it means your current performance is disappointing. And, yes, if people can't talk about why things are disappointing and compare you to peers, you're being sensitive.

So first manlisten was sensitive because he disagreed with you, and now I am as well for apparently the same reason. Get over yourself, dude. Seriously.


I actually don't take myself very seriously. I just apply the same logical standards to people making the same points about people upset about critiques taken as insults for no reason. And lol at taking offense at being called sensitive when calling others fair weather for critiquing and comparing. Yet another sign of sensitivity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11458

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think this is a good goal. Triangle teams are read and react, and a lot of what the Warriors do is read and react. I'd actually prefer that to a coach micromanaging every possession with a play call from the sideline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 119698
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


And there are reads off of play calls as well.
_________________
#lakerclownshow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25963

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think this is a good goal. Triangle teams are read and react, and a lot of what the Warriors do is read and react. I'd actually prefer that to a coach micromanaging every possession with a play call from the sideline.


Nah, Cranjis said that GS/SAS call 75% of their halfcourt offense, not purely read/react.. and I'd rather mimic those teams than the triangle
_________________
What if Fran Frachilla told you "Brandon Ingram was the real 2 years away from 2 years away guy" - ESPN 30% for 30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25963

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


And there are reads off of play calls as well.


Of course
_________________
What if Fran Frachilla told you "Brandon Ingram was the real 2 years away from 2 years away guy" - ESPN 30% for 30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25963

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


I'm sure it is, Luke can't really think that. But still, I bet he wants too little playcalling.
_________________
What if Fran Frachilla told you "Brandon Ingram was the real 2 years away from 2 years away guy" - ESPN 30% for 30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11458

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think this is a good goal. Triangle teams are read and react, and a lot of what the Warriors do is read and react. I'd actually prefer that to a coach micromanaging every possession with a play call from the sideline.


Nah, Cranjis said that GS/SAS call 75% of their halfcourt offense, not purely read/react.. and I'd rather mimic those teams than the triangle


I stand corrected. I knew about the Spurs, but I thought I read that most of Golden State Warriors did was reading and reacting to what the D is doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 8052
Location: The (real) short corner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


I'm sure it is, Luke can't really think that. But still, I bet he wants too little playcalling.


It doesn't make sense to call a play on a large percentage of possessions if you want to play at a high pace. You want to get it out there as quick as you can even after made baskets, without everyone trying to listen for the call. Dead ball situations, sure you should call a play, and I think they will.

No play call here (Spurs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81SiNjFTzs

Or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaC9gx7VTM

In the playoffs you won't run these without secretly calling counters, but I think Luke's wish is valid on the surface.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Don Draper
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 24273
Location: RIP DLO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think this is a good goal. Triangle teams are read and react, and a lot of what the Warriors do is read and react. I'd actually prefer that to a coach micromanaging every possession with a play call from the sideline.


Nah, Cranjis said that GS/SAS call 75% of their halfcourt offense, not purely read/react.. and I'd rather mimic those teams than the triangle


I stand corrected. I knew about the Spurs, but I thought I read that most of Golden State Warriors did was reading and reacting to what the D is doing.


I mean it makes sense. All Luke and MB had to do was call out plays from Kerr's playbook and let the players do the rest. I don't know if Luke is dedicated enough to slog through all of the minutia that leads to the creation of a playbook designed to feed off of a team's strength. This speaks to laziness to me. Or like I said before, Luke trying to act the role of figurehead/personality manager rather than X's and O's guy. That might have worked if he picked coaches other than his frat bros and Brian Shaw to work alongside him.
_________________
Lonzo Ball Projected 2017-18 Stats: 16pts/8asts/5rebs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 7512

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm so over Luke
_________________
#exkuzme
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Don Draper
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 24273
Location: RIP DLO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


I'm sure it is, Luke can't really think that. But still, I bet he wants too little playcalling.


It doesn't make sense to call a play on a large percentage of possessions if you want to play at a high pace. You want to get it out there as quick as you can even after made baskets, without everyone trying to listen for the call. Dead ball situations, sure you should call a play, and I think they will.

No play call here (Spurs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81SiNjFTzs

Or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaC9gx7VTM

In the playoffs you won't run these without secretly calling counters, but I think Luke's wish is valid on the surface.


High pace and playcalling aren't mutually exclusive though, right? How many times do you see the Warriors call a play, have guys run all around the court, and proceed to get an open look 10 seconds into the shot clock? It happens a lot, and it's especially nice to have that when you have games that aren't presenting you with many transition opportunities.

But of course, to those read plays you linked, you can still have that even if you're running a play. All about the offensive awareness of your guys.
_________________
Lonzo Ball Projected 2017-18 Stats: 16pts/8asts/5rebs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13589

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


Let's ask the warriors
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Lebron . Brook
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If it seems as if the defense is thrown off by where Golden State’s screens are coming from, and the players that are setting them, it’s because even the Warriors themselves don’t always know. Mike Brown, their acting head coach, told me the screens are a high-level form of unscripted, playground basketball.

“Steve [Kerr] has really empowered these guys with the way he teaches them. It’s not, ‘You go to this space; you here, you here and you here.’ Not at all. He teaches guys the way you would imagine guys learning back in the day on the playground. … So where I’m going with this: It’s not scripted. And when you have something that’s not scripted, your opponents break down, because it’s different every single time.”


Quote:
Kerr said his offense isn’t “nearly as uniform as the triangle — it’s more random and we give our players a lot of freedom to move wherever they want.”

The Warriors do have a playbook, on tablet. It consists of four or five main concepts, with five or six plays for each concept. In a typical game of about 100 possessions, Kerr will call a play from the bench 15 to 20 times.

_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."


Last edited by manlisten on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 8052
Location: The (real) short corner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


I think it's an overreaction. Say you run the triangle offense or another motion offense for an entire quarter. There are no play calls, only reads, but there are a ton of "plays" that happen depending on how the defense is defending you.


I'm sure it is, Luke can't really think that. But still, I bet he wants too little playcalling.


It doesn't make sense to call a play on a large percentage of possessions if you want to play at a high pace. You want to get it out there as quick as you can even after made baskets, without everyone trying to listen for the call. Dead ball situations, sure you should call a play, and I think they will.

No play call here (Spurs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81SiNjFTzs

Or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaC9gx7VTM

In the playoffs you won't run these without secretly calling counters, but I think Luke's wish is valid on the surface.


High pace and playcalling aren't mutually exclusive though, right? How many times do you see the Warriors call a play, have guys run all around the court, and proceed to get an open look 10 seconds into the shot clock? It happens a lot, and it's especially nice to have that when you have games that aren't presenting you with many transition opportunities.

But of course, to those read plays you linked, you can still have that even if you're running a play. All about the offensive awareness of your guys.


They generally don't make a playcall in a live ball situation. You tell your wings to run all the way to the corners, your first big to rim run, the other big (if he's not bring it up) to come to the top as a trailer. The play that you run depends on what the ball handler decides to do. Does he reverse the ball and then screen strong side? Does he kick to the wing and shallow cut weak side? Then you run a different play without calling it out, with some additional reads based on basic offensive principles. I think if you polled NBA coaches, 70+% would prefer not actually have any plays called out in most situations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Posts: 1046

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

A mostly read and react offense would be ideal for a running team. Depending what the crossmatches are during a semifastbreak. The Lakers have the ideal PG to run it in Zo. Id rather he make the decision on the fly then slow down to wait for a playcall from the bench.
_________________
The Kuz is Loose!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 11847

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Alright can we all not act like we haven't seen this before NOT work? Let's not act like we haven't already seen this kind of story AND complained when we were on the other end of it.

I mean come on!

We need halfcourt sets and actual set plays to be a successful NBA team, we're not a YMCA team or a Flag football team.

This is the same fanbase that gave D'Antoni hell because they didn't think he was running enough plays and going too much on "feel".

But we're really gonna sit here and act like a primary read and react offense with little to no playcalling is gonna be successful for a young team in the NBA against other NBA teams?

How about actually forming and creating an offense to give the kids some kind of consistency to run and an identity to strive towards outside of "just run faster than the other team"?

Oh wait he can't, because he's never created an offense ever. He used what Gentry already had put in when he was at Golden State, and never actually had to build a system around guys, because everything in Golden State was already built, he just got a lot of credit for it not falling apart.

But given a young team, you'd expect him to actually show if he actually had the chops to develop and create an offense. This new "Well we want to do all read and react with not a lot of play calling" shows he isn't. Yet did he hire an offensive assistant? Nope. Just like he hasn't hired a defensive one.

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


Let's ask the warriors


Kerr was a GM for three years and had already had a knowledge of the game that would serve him as a coach and still took 4 years to learn the ropes before he became the Warriors coach.


What he did after he became the Warriors coach was surround himself with assistants that knew more than he did and allowed him to work on the motivation and the coaching, while they handled the X's and O's and the offense.

They kept Mark Jackson's defensive principles, and they added Alvin Gentry's offensive principles and Kerr just handled the egos.

This is something he took from Phil as well, as Phil had those kind of assistants around him as well. Tex Winter handled the triangle and the X's and O's and Phil handled the coaching and the egos.


Luke however has brought in no competent offensive assistants, no competent defensive assistants, and has essentially hired people like Brian Shaw or people with connections to the college he attended.


This is the fundamental flaw in his approach, especially if we want to compare it to what Kerr did.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13589

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Alright can we all not act like we haven't seen this before NOT work? Let's not act like we haven't already seen this kind of story AND complained when we were on the other end of it.

I mean come on!

We need halfcourt sets and actual set plays to be a successful NBA team, we're not a YMCA team or a Flag football team.

This is the same fanbase that gave D'Antoni hell because they didn't think he was running enough plays and going too much on "feel".

But we're really gonna sit here and act like a primary read and react offense with little to no playcalling is gonna be successful for a young team in the NBA against other NBA teams?

How about actually forming and creating an offense to give the kids some kind of consistency to run and an identity to strive towards outside of "just run faster than the other team"?

Oh wait he can't, because he's never created an offense ever. He used what Gentry already had put in when he was at Golden State, and never actually had to build a system around guys, because everything in Golden State was already built, he just got a lot of credit for it not falling apart.

But given a young team, you'd expect him to actually show if he actually had the chops to develop and create an offense. This new "Well we want to do all read and react with not a lot of play calling" shows he isn't. Yet did he hire an offensive assistant? Nope. Just like he hasn't hired a defensive one.

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover


Let's ask the warriors


Kerr was a GM for three years and had already had a knowledge of the game that would serve him as a coach and still took 4 years to learn the ropes before he became the Warriors coach.


What he did after he became the Warriors coach was surround himself with assistants that knew more than he did and allowed him to work on the motivation and the coaching, while they handled the X's and O's and the offense.

They kept Mark Jackson's defensive principles, and they added Alvin Gentry's offensive principles and Kerr just handled the egos.

This is something he took from Phil as well, as Phil had those kind of assistants around him as well. Tex Winter handled the triangle and the X's and O's and Phil handled the coaching and the egos.


Luke however has brought in no competent offensive assistants, no competent defensive assistants, and has essentially hired people like Brian Shaw or people with connections to the college he attended.


This is the fundamental flaw in his approach, especially if we want to compare it to what Kerr did.


I was addressing the tweet.
Happen to know the % of plays vs reads? I don't.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Lebron . Brook
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11458

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Quote:
If it seems as if the defense is thrown off by where Golden State’s screens are coming from, and the players that are setting them, it’s because even the Warriors themselves don’t always know. Mike Brown, their acting head coach, told me the screens are a high-level form of unscripted, playground basketball.

“Steve [Kerr] has really empowered these guys with the way he teaches them. It’s not, ‘You go to this space; you here, you here and you here.’ Not at all. He teaches guys the way you would imagine guys learning back in the day on the playground. … So where I’m going with this: It’s not scripted. And when you have something that’s not scripted, your opponents break down, because it’s different every single time.”


Quote:
Kerr said his offense isn’t “nearly as uniform as the triangle — it’s more random and we give our players a lot of freedom to move wherever they want.”

The Warriors do have a playbook, on tablet. It consists of four or five main concepts, with five or six plays for each concept. In a typical game of about 100 possessions, Kerr will call a play from the bench 15 to 20 times.


This is what I thought I remembered reading about the Warriors' offense. Which makes sense considering their pace and how free flowing they are. Like I said in a previous comment, I don't think Luke seeing this as the ultimate goal is a bad thing. Whether or not we have the players on our roster to execute this effectively is another discussion, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

What he did after he became the Warriors coach was surround himself with assistants that knew more than he did and allowed him to work on the motivation and the coaching, while they handled the X's and O's and the offense.

They kept Mark Jackson's defensive principles, and they added Alvin Gentry's offensive principles and Kerr just handled the egos.


Do you have actual sources or proof for the things you're saying? Where are you getting this stuff from? The people involved say Kerr had his offensive concepts from day one.

Quote:
"I don’t think I’ve made up anything that we do,” Kerr said in an interview with The Chronicle. “I’ve stolen from everybody, but most coaches would tell you the same thing.”

Kerr began collecting video clips of plays he liked when he was a broadcaster and those filtered through what he learned playing for Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich, along with working with Mike D'Antoni.

Bob Myers and the Warriors' front office didn't like Mark Jackson's isolation-heavy offense.

“We hired Steve on the heels of the Spurs’ clinic against the Heat (in the 2014 NBA Finals) on how to play basketball,” Myers said. “We felt that was the right way, that kind of ball movement. At the end of the year we looked at our passes per possession on halfcourt, and we were on the low end. Our offense was fine, we were scoring points, but how could we improve? Steve actually brought a better blueprint (to the job interview) than any candidate we could find.”


From 2014:

Quote:
So Ninkovich, with a captive audience of Warriors coaches, musters the courage to speak: What are you going to do? He asks Kerr. Will our one-on-one offense end? Will you implement the triangle offense?

"Funny you should mention that," Kerr replies. "We've got some ideas. Here, I'll show you."

And then, as Fraser looks on, Kerr swipes clear the wooden board, casting the handle in the role of a basket. He positions the board's dried cranberries and marcona almonds into two five-on-five teams in a half-court setting, with the cranberries relegated to defense. Suddenly, almond Stephen Curry, hovering near the top of the key, swings an imaginary ball to Almond Klay Thompson on the wing, then cuts to the near corner while Thompson dumps it down to Almond Andrew Bogut. Thompson and Curry set picks for each other along the perimeter, while Bogut weighs his options: find open almonds or back down his helpless cranberry.

These, Kerr explains, are aspects of the triangle offense, which he played in during the Bulls' 1990s heyday. But then Kerr pulls back, giving the noshes a breather. He notes that the Warriors would be foolish to run the triangle exclusively; it wouldn't best utilize their outside shooters. No, Kerr says. They'll run a hybrid.

These ideas have, for weeks, been rattling around Kerr's head. But he hasn't yet begun to diagram plays, or the scheme itself. Until now. And so for 10 minutes, Ninkovich watches as Kerr lays the foundation for the most devastating offense the NBA has not yet seen -- if only he could somehow turn the league's worst passing team into its best.


Re: Luke not having plays, from last year:

Quote:
“We’ll keep advancing this year, and once guys have got everything down to where you don’t even have to draw anything up on the board, then you start taking it to the next level to where if they take something away, what’s the options out of it and things like that,” Walton said. “I think it’s a never-ending process.”


I get that you don't like Luke or Kerr apparently but it's not fair to just make things up to support your confirmation bias.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Same old story. Team sucks so lets blame the coach. Luke can't help these guys when they can't hit a three. Roster is just poorly constructed. No coach can save these guys.

We heard the story with Mike Brown/D'Antoni/Scott (he did deserve it)/ and now Luke. Crazy how fast people try pointing fingers when losses start piling up. Just have to realize we are not very good, and the greatest coach in the world won't be able to get these guys to the playoffs.
_________________
Kobe the God is looking over this team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333  Next
Page 329 of 333
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB