Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Looks like LNJ is starting again probably with BI and we wonder why Luke's starting unit always suck.

That makes the 2nd unit Kuz, Clarkson, and Randle again. This last preseason game will probably be Luke's rotation to start the season
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Luke is a upgrade over Byron Scott but nothing great. we could use a upgrade soon.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Looks like LNJ is starting again probably with BI and we wonder why Luke's starting unit always suck.

That makes the 2nd unit Kuz, Clarkson, and Randle again. This last preseason game will probably be Luke's rotation to start the season

I'm excited too
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

I don't really have a problem with Nance starting, though I would like to see Randle get some time with Lopez.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
MJST wrote:

What he did after he became the Warriors coach was surround himself with assistants that knew more than he did and allowed him to work on the motivation and the coaching, while they handled the X's and O's and the offense.

They kept Mark Jackson's defensive principles, and they added Alvin Gentry's offensive principles and Kerr just handled the egos.

Do you have actual sources or proof for the things you're saying? Where are you getting this stuff from? The people involved say Kerr had his offensive concepts from day one.

Do I have evidence they were using D'Antoni's offense which he passed down to Gentry and threw sprinkles of the triangle in it? Yep

Victorious Gentry: "Tell Mike D'Antoni he's vindicated! We just kicked everyone's ass playing the way everybody complained about!"
https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/611033884537552896

"I would say that this is vindication for Mike D'Antoni, if nothing else. We played like he's been trying to get this league to play forever. And you can win a championship like that. " Alvin Gentry
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/611055006469484544

Kerr on D'Antoni's influence in the offense: "Steve was kind of the original Steph Curry," he said, adding that he thought Phoenix was going to win a title that way.

"I think Steve kind of laid out a vision for a whole generation of young point guards," Kerr said. "And with the game changing, Mike D'Antoni kind of initiating that style in Phoenix, the floor starting to spread, the whole league kind of playing shooting 4s and 5s and playing a little faster, I think Mike and Steve in many ways set the table for Steph Curry. And I think Steph would tell you that, too."

Also:

"Gentry was the Warriors’ associate head coach for one season under Steve Kerr.

Gentry is responsible for engineering the Warriors offense, the best in the NBA. The Warriors improved from the middle of the pack last season to the top of the league in offense, with virtually the same roster. The Warriors finished first in points per game (110) and second in offensive efficiency.

“I’m extremely happy for Alvin and wish him the best of luck in this new challenge. He’s had a tremendous impact on the success of our team this season and, personally, has been instrumental in my development as a coach. … Our loss is New Orleans’ gain and I know he’ll do an outstanding job with the Pelicans once the NBA Finals are completed,” Kerr said in a statement.

Gentry, by all accounts, loved it with the Warriors under Kerr, who was the G.M. in Phoenix when Gentry was the Suns’ head coach. Gentry also loved the Bay Area, including the abundance of business opportunities. But the Warriors always knew he couldn’t pass up a lucrative contract and one more chance to lead a team. Gentry was making $800,000 — the Warriors couldn’t give him a raise big enough to compete with a head coach’s salary."
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/alvin-gentry-after-warriors-title-tell-mike-dantoni-hes-vindicated/

"Warriors management anticipated Gentry might be plucked away, even before they lured him from the Los Angeles Clippers’ bench. Gentry’s name had been coming up in circles. After David Blatt took the head job with Cleveland, passing on an offer to be on the Warriors’ bench, Kerr woo’d Gentry from the Clippers.

But it became especially more likely that Gentry was gone after the Warriors ran off 67 wins. Gentry is responsible for engineering the best offense in the league. "
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/thompson/2015/05/30/warriors-lose-offensive-guru-alvin-gentry-to-new-orleans/

"I saw the report today that there's more interest between New Orleans and Alvin, and then there was a picture of Lindsey Hunter," Kerr said, laughing. "So I don't know, maybe Lindsey is involved in the search, too, and there's a picture of Alvin on his story. I don't know, it's all good stuff. I want every member of our staff to embrace any opportunities that come their way regardless of what they are, and as long as it doesn't interfere with our game planning, which it hasn't.

Kerr hired Gentry as his associate head coach and offensive coordinator when the Warriors hired him last May. Gentry was previously the head coach for Phoenix, where Kerr had been the general manager.
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/05/21/alvin-gentry-golden-state-warriors-interviews-new-orleans-pelicans.ap/

Gentry is hoping the Pelicans will emerge in the Western Conference with his up-tempo offensive system designed to maximize the enormous skills of Anthony Davis. With Gentry in charge of the Warriors' offense last season, they ranked first in the NBA in scoring, averaging 110 points a game.
http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/10/alvin_gentry_says_golden_state.html

And yet, to hear Gentry tell it last week, 2014-15 will be a season to remember and cherish, regardless of whether Stephen Curry and company can deliver the franchise’s first title since 1975. Since signing on as Steve Kerr’s associate head coach last June, tasked with overhauling an offense that under-performed the previous season, Gentry has caught himself marveling on more than one occasion.
https://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/22/alvin-gentry-warriors-assistant-stephen-curry-steve-nash

For Alvin Gentry, it was always a matter of time before another team would snatch him up for an open head coaching position. Gentry had four other head coaching gigs before, and led the Phoenix Suns to the 2010 Western Conference Finals.

Gentry’s role on the Warriors was to lead the team’s offense. He had done a stellar job with the Los Angeles Clippers, and his teams’ offenses were always in the upper echelon of the NBA. In Phoenix, he modified the “Seven Seconds or Less” style of offense and slowed it down, reducing the recklessness the Suns played with under Mike D’Antoni. He continued to do so with the Warriors last season, encouraging them to push the pace at every opportunity, but also created a half-court offense that utilised lots of screening and off-the-ball movement.

https://bluemanhoop.com/2015/06/29/analyzing-alvin-gentrys-departure/

He was also brought in for that position because of the job he'd done with the Clippers offense previously.

"With the Cavaliers on the verge of hiring David Blatt as their new coach, Gentry had been asked to join the staff as the associate head coach, the officials said.

Gentry was credited with making the Clippers into one of the best offensive teams in the NBA last season.

The Clippers averaged a league-best 107.9 points per game."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-alvin-gentry-20140620-story.html

And finally

"Kerr wanted to blend the Suns' offense with the ability to highlight individual matchups through alignment that he experienced in the triangle offense while playing with the Chicago Bulls and the adaptable, fluid offense he played in San Antonio. Hiring Gentry demonstrated which system he valued the most."
http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13023943/nba-playoffs-phoenix-suns-mike-dantoni-influence-nba-finals

The sad thing is, this was common knowledge back during the Warriors run. But people always conveniently forget what was actually reported back then. We all knew why Gentry was hired, and we all knew his influence on the offense the Warriors ran, and we all knew that was the reason he got hired by the Pelicans after the work he'd done with the Clippers offense followed by the Warriors offense. So let's not play the game of convenient forgetting and act like we were going "Kerr is such an offensive genius" back in 2015, we knew where the credit belonged with Gentry. Kerr openly said a lot of credit belonged to Gentry, and it was common knowledge that they took what Gentry did with D'Antoni's offense and added some sprinkles of the triangle in it.

It was also common knowledge back then that this was also one of the other reasons Mark Jackson got fired. Because the FO wanted him to hire better assistants that can help the offense because they felt it was underperforming, and Jackson essentially said he "already had the best assistants in the world." among other things.

He was soon gone, Kerr was brought in, and Gentry was hired after. They kept Jackson's defensive principles, and changed up the offense to a structured one using Gentry's D'Antoni influence and Kerr sprinkling some triangle in there, and boom, number 1 offense in the NBA, a second offensive improvement under Gentry, and a head coaching position with the Pelicans for him.

Sad how some people always have a tendency to forget what was common knowledge not too long ago.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

All this thread tells me is hopefully Gentry gets fired and Luke is able to snatch him up.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
All this thread tells me is hopefully Gentry gets fired and Luke is able to snatch him up.

Gentry or Hoiberg I'll gladly take as an offensive assistant on this team. Luke needs to surround himself with actual competent assistants and not just alumni. I think Richard Jefferson would be the only exception if he was something of a defensive assistant or such.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully last year's COY gets fired and we snatch him up as offensive coach.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Hopefully last year's COY gets fired and we snatch him up as offensive coach.

Want to know the saddest thing? In hindsight, had we stuck with Jerry Buss's last move he made when he brought in D'Antoni because of where he also felt the league was headed more so than Phil's, we would have beaten the rest of the league to the punch on how the game was about to be played.

I know most Lakers fans were in a hissy fit cause we didn't get Phil so they made Mike Brown pay for it, and then they really made D'Antoni pay for it because they wanted Phil instead.

But then we let go of D'Antoni and got Byron Scott, right as the league was headed in his direction which put is further behind as we trotted along for two seasons using an outdated "old school" offense(or none at all) under Byron, while the NBA Champions used the very style we just threw out and the Knicks struggled trying to use the style Phil brought in and stuck to exclusively.

I'll remember that 2013 Lakers team that SOMEHOW won 27 games and after getting rid of that it took us 3 seasons to get to 26 wins.

The saddest thing is to look back on that last decision by Jerry which at the time was considered so 'short sighted' that it reflected on Jim and Mitch. But when we look at where the league headed just one season later it shows how insightful the man still was even in his state.

The Laker I used to miss the most that was gone was Chick Hearn. The past 3-4 seasons however it's been Jerry Buss.

But, moving onward on to today!! :')

Re: D'antoni with this roster

I can only imagine what D'Antoni could have done with a back court of Lonzo Ball and D'Angelo Russell or even the current one with how he'd use Lonzo and KCP. He'd also probably prioritize Randle's mid range a priority, likely in the way he did with Stat, and use Ingram more in a Shawn Marion kind of role, which I definitely wouldn't be against.

And Lopez is the kind of center that D'Antoni would go to sleep dreaming about.

I don't think however that D'Antoni will be let go of by Houston unless they completely blow it this year.

Gentry being let go of by New Orleans is a higher possibility though or Hoiberg by the Bulls.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Luke views our starting lineup as if we've got guys who are LOCKED IN to start no matter what. As if he's still coaching Steph/Klay/Dray. NEWSFLASH LUKE, (bleep) Randle, Ingram, and Nance are not all-stars and you should be very HEAVILY considering starting Kuzma.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Side question: was LG ever a place where fans rooted for every player on the team, even if they aren't good? Or is it today's internet culture to hate on poor players (cuz every team is gonna have one or two of those guys).
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Side question: was LG ever a place where fans rooted for every player on the team, even if they aren't good? Or is it today's internet culture to hate on poor players (cuz every team is gonna have one or two of those guys).

I recall it was also a place where fans hated on the best player in the league when he was on the team.

But you're always going to find haters in any large community.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I have a feeling we will see the same balanced 1st and 2nd unit like last year. Everyone playing less than 25 minutes. It doesn't work Luke!!!

At one point in the year I did a litte research and found that every team in the league played their top 4 and 5 players 33+ minutes. We were the only team to have no one over 26 minutes.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Hey, Luke, start Kuzma.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Yes, there was a time when most rooted for every player. I still do, and sometimes for players on other teams.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Two things I don't like about Luke:

1. We leave shooters open too often, and we help too much inside. It seems like a scheme thing because it happens too consistently in the same ways, I also wonder if this is, in part, because of an emphasis on defensive rebounding based on the reality that, outside of Randle, we're a poor rebounding team.

2. We just don't take enough 3s from our forward positions. Nance, Randle and Ingram, make or miss, need to let it fly from 3 more. It's the only way to help them grow and to eventually get this team to a place where we have the spacing we need.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Two things I don't like about Luke:

1. We leave shooters open too often, and we help too much inside. It seems like a scheme thing because it happens too consistently in the same ways, I also wonder if this is, in part, because of an emphasis on defensive rebounding based on the reality that, outside of Randle, we're a poor rebounding team.

2. We just don't take enough 3s from our forward positions. Nance, Randle and Ingram, make or miss, need to let it fly from 3 more. It's the only way to help them grow and to eventually get this team to a place where we have the spacing we need.

What annoys me most is his conservatism. I thought he'd bring a lot more nuance and creativity to the table.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

^Other than the 3pt shooting, I'm not that concerned about his general offensive philosophy. We haven't seen many of the plays we went to last year yet. I think its clear we've been running a very basic offense thus far.

More important is defense. I can't really tell what our defensive philosophy is yet. For a team that's spent so much time allegedly practicing defense in training camp, we sure look to lack defensive discipline. That's either a scheme thing or the players not knowing what they should do situationally. Either way, that's a coaching issue IMO.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^Other than the 3pt shooting, I'm not that concerned about his general offensive philosophy. We haven't seen many of the plays we went to last year yet. I think its clear we've been running a very basic offense thus far.

More important is defense. I can't really tell what our defensive philosophy is yet. For a team that's spent so much time allegedly practicing defense in training camp, we sure look to lack defensive discipline. That's either a scheme thing or the players not knowing what they should do situationally. Either way, that's a coaching issue IMO.

My sense is that he knows the what and the why, but isn't sure about the how. He manages a team very well. But he needs some teaching and scheming help.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

Love Luke and believe he will be a great coach.

He has had great mentors but I just wish a little of Pat Riley was mixed in there. Hopefully Magic can add some of that Riley fire.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I feel the same way
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Hey, Luke, start Kuzma.

What kills me is how he's not even in the conversation just based on his comments recently.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

It's not the coach's fault. Those two are uncomfortable even taking midrange jumpers. Randle last night: 1 8-ft shot (if that even counts as one); Nance: 1 from 18-ft. Both misses.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's not the coach's fault. Those two are uncomfortable even taking midrange jumpers. Randle last night: 1 8-ft shot (if that even counts as one); Nance: 1 from 18-ft.

This is why I disagree with Luke insisting on playing small-ball for significant minutes every game. We simply don't have the personnel to go small. The strength of going small is your perimeter game and foot speed in the full court. Our forwards can't shoot. We gain no offensive advantage going small but sacrifice a ton on defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's not the coach's fault. Those two are uncomfortable even taking midrange jumpers. Randle last night: 1 8-ft shot (if that even counts as one); Nance: 1 from 18-ft.

This is why I disagree with Luke insisting on playing small-ball for significant minutes every game. We simply don't have the personnel to go small. The strength of going small is your perimeter game and foot speed in the full court. Our forwards can't shoot. We gain no offensive advantage going small but sacrifice a ton on defense.

Sacrifice a ton on defense by sitting Lopez or Zubac? Not close to a ton of defense between the two of them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 331 of 818
Jump to: